• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Even with the majority of sales possibly beeing digital this time around, it wouldn't surprise me to see a decline of popularity of MH in Japan, especially with Capcoms current strategy. You can impress with graphics, but that's not a sustainable basis that works for every IP forever, especially if local multiplayer helped in growing the IP in the first place, and even story driven single player experiences, just look at Final Fantasy in Japan. A former surefire multimillion seller, barely selling over a million with its latest mainline entry with FF15. 4-5 Million units per mainline entry (MH) and another 2-4 Million with an expanded version in Japan alone could be a thing of a past without a fast course correction, otherwise it might weaken irreparably. I mean it might still remain a great selling game for a long time but not to cultural phenomen levels.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming Astral Chain is still a bit supply constrained? It seems to have basically sold its first shipment already, considering it was 85% sold-through last week.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Iceborne did a bit better than I thought.
Pretty uneventful week otherwise.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nice for Switch, bad for Astral Chain, and very nice that the Switch will be passing 9 million in the next couple of weeks.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Well done Monster Hunter. More than I expected due to the DLC nature of the whole thing.

Switch selling great even though lite is around the corner.

Nice PS4 bump.

Astral Chain could be worse. I had hoped for 10k but 9k isn't a disaster (like last weeks #1 game which sold less than 6k this week)

Even Xbox is up!

Overall a good week for our hobby!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Iceborne doesn't seem to have done great, even with it being an expansion. Capcom put a ton of weight behind this game so the number seems very disappointing.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
First week numbers had a 85% sell-through. So, unless they replenished already, it's dire.
If they didn't get a restock, then they would now have sold through 109% of the initial stock, assuming Famitsu and Dengeki agree on the initial 85% sell-through. Some kind of new shipment must have come along. Whether that was enough to stop stock issues is another question.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
why are people talking like iceborne bombed? those sales are for a version that includes the base game and the expansion, so its 250k NEW players into MHW.
most of those that buys the DLC will be those who already had Monster Hunter World and wants to play the newly released expansion for it, and those will be through digital that is not listed here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They would have had a second shipment seeing as 9k is more than the 15% sell-through needed to sell out. It all depends on how fast that second shipment was and how large it was.

Well Famitsu wasn't the one that reported 85%, they just reported 80-100%. So we can't be sure exactly how large the shipment was according to them.

But yeah either way it must be having bad supply constraints.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, the Lite still isn't out yet? I thought it came out like last week which is why the Switch got such a massive boost in sales.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Iceborne doesn't seem to have done great, even with it being an expansion. Capcom put a ton of weight behind this game so the number seems very disappointing.
Can you explain? The game is DLC, and the retail versions are either a download card or a combo pack of the main game (which many already have) plus Iceborne. Thr majority of DLC sales should be assumed to have happened on PSN. If anything, selling 200k of those seems pretty decent to me.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the MHW and expansion pack only Ā„7K when the original release was Ā„9K?

It seems like an unneeded discount given the Brands success.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
You can't possibly know that, unlike other expansions in MH you can buy this one as DLC for your base game, is pretty obvious that's where most people will buy it, but without digital sales you can't judge its performance yet.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can you explain? The game is DLC, and the retail versions are either a download card or a combo pack of the main game (which many already have) plus Iceborne. Thr majority of DLC sales should be assumed to have happened on PSN. If anything, selling 200k of those seems pretty decent to me.
But it's standalone, right? You can buy Iceborne and play it without owning MHW I thought. And Capcom put a ton of muscle behind this game and it was a long time in development. Just seems light. Maybe if digital sales are 1M+, but I doubt that.

Clearly everyone used vouchers.
Brutal

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why is the MHW and expansion pack only Ā„7K when the original release was Ā„9K?

It seems like an unneeded discount given the Brands success.
The main game has stopped selling at OG price for a while, it's been 3k yen for a while now. Game wouldn't be selling anymore at 9k price, and they figured they could get even more with a steep discount price.

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
Bayonetta 2 on wii u, 33k fw and 9k for second week. So astral chain follows bayo's trajectory. But, switch is more healthy, so legs would be much better and perhaps switch lite can give a second boost.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
But it's standalone, right? You can buy Iceborne and play it without owning MHW I thought. And Capcom put a ton of muscle behind this game and it was a long time in development. Just seems light. Maybe if digital sales are 1M+, but I doubt that.
You cannot buy the expansion separate as it includes the main game. It's cheaper to just buy the expansion on PSN. Those 250k sales are essentially new players on top of the existing millions.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You cannot buy the expansion separate as it includes the main game. It's cheaper to just buy the expansion on PSN. Those 250k sales are essentially new players on top of the existing millions.
Could be true. Although I would say that 44k for the collector's edition is likely current players, and not new.

Aim higher. They'll be 2m+ imo.
In Japan only? I don't see that happening. Guess we'll wait for that Capcom PR!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Bayonetta 2 on wii u, 33k fw and 9k for second week. So astral chain follows bayo's trajectory. But, switch is more healthy, so legs would be much better and perhaps switch lite can give a second boost.
And vouchers. Astral Chain sold more digital units than SMM2 in August, despite doing about 1/5 at retail. And we know that SMM2 got a good boost from vouchers, so Astral Chain probably had a 50%+ digital share.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
There's no precedent for Iceborne (cheaper MH extension available as download) so no one really knows how to interpret it, and whichever "side" you like the number will be spun to be negative/positive.
Retail is nothing impressive of course but it's only a small part of the big picture.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Great to see so many new players into the monster hunger ecosystem. 250k is fantastic. Likely 200k+ are new players.

Ps4 sales are good and it's still ~300k ahead of the ps3 aligned. As long as Sony give it a good holiday promotion it should be able to extend that lead nicely. I just pray for a permanent price cut next year.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
what is the best digital share for a game ?

Even if it's a DLC, i can't see more than 50% digital in Japan
But i can see higher than usual retail digital code Numbers.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Astral Chain likely has a 50%+ share. I don't see why a DLC that can only be gotten at retail via the purchase of the game you already own should not have a huge digital share. 50%+ seems like a bare minimum for digital imo.

Oct 26, 2017

This is the first time a G expansions is available only digitally (someone correct me if i'm wrong), might be 50-60% or higher, but we don't know.

Capcom also has the highest digital ratio among japanese publishers but i don't think it reflects in Japan as well.