• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There's no precedent for Iceborne (cheaper MH extension available as download) so no one really knows how to interpret it, and whichever "side" you like the number will be spun to be negative/positive.
Retail is nothing impressive of course but it's only a small part of the big picture.
This.

For all we know all of MHW owners could have bought the add-on digitally or only 10 percent of them...we just don't know.

Still a bummer to see that the Era of massive retail software launches is coming to an end...only Nintendo, Pokemon and mainline DQ left.

Last gen 3DS had a couple MH releases starting with +1m resulting in more exciting times for the retail market.

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
And vouchers. Astral Chain sold more digital units than SMM2 in August, despite doing about 1/5 at retail. And we know that SMM2 got a good boost from vouchers, so Astral Chain probably had a 50%+ digital share.
Yeah, end of August astral chain would be at least 40k for digital. I know that Famitsu gives bad number for digital but smash bros was 12k for them in july and astral chain had a better rank in july. My guess is 15k for july and 25k for August. Now,i'm seeing around 50k.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This is the first time a G expansions is available only digitally (someone correct me if i'm wrong), might be 50-60% or higher, but we don't know.

Capcom also has the highest digital ratio among japanese publishers but i don't think it reflects in Japan as well.

This is because catalog sales make up the bulk last quarter and most of their new releases there (Switch ports/remasters) don't even have packaged releases in most markets.

That said I'd expect greater than 74% Iceborne, even in Japan. I'm more curious about likely overshipment on the packaged bundle.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If the new Switch model is really supply constrained and it still pulled a 77k week with the Lite coming soon... Bodes well for the future. We had some pretty boring weeks, especially last year, but it seems that it all led to this.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This is the first time a G expansions is available only digitally (someone correct me if i'm wrong), might be 50-60% or higher, but we don't know.

Capcom also has the highest digital ratio among japanese publishers but i don't think it reflects in Japan as well.

With these numbers, are they including digital only releases like the Phoneix Wright Collection and the old RE ports? Cause that would make sense why it's so high cause they release a lot of digital only games

Oct 26, 2017
With these numbers, are they including digital only releases like the Phoneix Wright Collection and the old RE ports? Cause that would make sense why it's so high cause they release a lot of digital only games

I think the digital share is high mostly thanks to RE2/DMC5/MHW on PC, where the digital share is +95%, the first three, especially MHW, sold a lot on PC.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Yes I believe so. Also a lot of Capcom releases this year have done well on PC which would obviously push digital sales up too (probably the main reason tbh).

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
MH number is better than the blog number (diff trackers I assume). That's decent given what the release is imo.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Will we ever get the digital sales from Capcom in Japan or will they just provide WW numbers?

Is the switch like being launched at just 21k ¥?

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Why people are calling theses numbers bad?

01./00. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne Master Edition <Monster Hunter: World \ Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne> # <ACT> (Capcom) {2019.09.06} (¥6.990) - 206.156 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne Collector's Package <ACT> (Capcom) {2019.09.06} (¥14.444) - 44.160 / NEW

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Astral Chain probably close to 100k with vouchers. Lets see how the legs play out but I was hoping for a better second week. Still not a bomb though. Its doing a lot better than past platinum Nintendo efforts.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Just noticed that Switch will reach 9m the very week the Switch Lite comes out, even though it won't even need it to do so. How appropriate.

Already over 9m with digital.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Impressive Switch hold. Can't wait for Lite to release and see some crazy numbers.

Disappointed with Astral chain though really want the game to sell well. You can't expect to much from a niche game but I was hoping it would brake out and be a good seller

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Okay debut for ice borne. The hold will be important. I'm guessing something like 100k next week? Still digital will have to be very big (like 80%) in Japan for it to catch the old expansion's numbers at retail.

Switch being supply constrained and still selling like that is huge.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Hardware this week

b28.gif

That's in general a better week than expect, good job MH

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
WoW @ those expansion numbers, Monster Hunter is a beast

nice hold for Astral Chain it should do 50k+ on physical alone, combined with voucher sales overall not bad

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
01./00. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne Master Edition <Monster Hunter: World \ Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne> # <ACT> (Capcom) {2019.09.06} (¥6.990) - 206.156 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne Collector's Package <ACT> (Capcom) {2019.09.06}

Oof. That PS4 and Monster Hunter bump.

Talent Always Wins

giphy.gif

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Which is a huge departure from previous G rank entries, where the G rank version routinely matched or even outsold the original release.
I expect most people will be buying this expansion digitally, though, given that it is the cheapest option that wasn't available on prior MH titles. It's real hard to say definitively how this expansion is performing relative to past G Rank titles. Seems like we may have to wait for Capcom PR to get a full picture, unfortunately. Hopefully, it blows past expectations just like the main title did when it sold more than the combined original/ultimate releases of the prior best selling entries.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Once FFVIIR launches Switch will be left in the dust.
The PS4 will be reborn, just like FF7.

To claim that Nintendo was super weak in Asia and Sony was very strong, which was applied to multiple situations like why Japanese publishers were missing the boat on the Switch or Sony's decline in Japan.
I see, thanks. Since more and more developers/publishers have started to make multiplatform games for PS4 and Switch, i thought the arguement had died down because of that. But there still a few big games that havnt made it over to the Switch, i didnt think about that, so i can see why it was still talked about in that case. Its just been a while since i've seen it myself (but as mentioned, i dont read every discussion), so i just had to ask.

The problem is it's Switch treating it like a marathon not the PS4.
I was just joking hehe :P =) The PS4 is basically at the end of its life while the Switch is in its prime. And the Switch is a more popular system as well. Very unlikely that the PS4 will suddently start increasing quite much in sales at this point in time. If the PS4 gets close to 10 million LTD, that would be a good end goal :)

Last edited: