• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I would agree with you then. I think most people think just of Nintendo when seeing this games, rather than Koei Tecmo.
But isn't it more important that there are certain companies now that are so close to Nintendo, when previously they weren't? I think Koei Tecmo and Marvelous started it fairly recently.

Their relationships have grown but they go back at least a decade. Nintendo of Europe has picked up Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games to publish in the past and the studios that eventually became Marvelous First Studio(like Feelplus & Artoon) were developing Nintendo games in the DS and Wii days.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and I'm not sure you can say Koei Tecmo is more associated with Nintendo when Ni-Oh is their biggest IP at the moment and IPs like Atelier and Musou are still more associated with PlayStation.

Marvelous maybe based on Story of Seasons but they're no stranger to PlayStation exclusives either.
Yeah I am sure you can say that since KT is making several 1st party games for Nintendo + supports the Switch with its whole library at th exception of Nioh which is moneyhatted. Hyrule Warriors : Age of Calamity is going to be published by them in Japan and is likely to be their best selling game domestically since the fusion 10 years ago.

Marvelous has more than just SoS. DxM was an exclusive last year and they also have the Rune Factory franchise which is likely to boom even more with 5. Plus No More Heroes.

If you want to prove that a publisher has a better relationship with Sony than Nintendo then using one exclusive as an example is useless. You should compare the whole effort on both ecosystems. Otherwise I could also say that Sony doesn't have a stronger relationship with Square or Bandai because there are Nintendo exclusive games from both.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am sure you can say that since KT is making several 1st party games for Nintendo + supports the Switch with its whole library at th exception of Nioh which is moneyhatted. Hyrule Warriors : Age of Calamity is going to be published by them in Japan and is likely to be their best selling game domestically since the fusion 10 years ago.

Marvelous has more than just SoS. DxM was an exclusive last year and they also have the Rune Factory franchise which is likely to boom even more with 5. Plus No More Heroes.

If you want to prove that a publisher has a better relationship with Sony than Nintendo then using one exclusive as an example is useless. You should compare the whole effort on both ecosystems. Otherwise I could also say that Sony doesn't have a stronger relationship with Square or Bandai because there are Nintendo exclusive games from both.

... and Dead or Alive 6, and Dynasty Warriors 9.(and presumably whatever new thing TN is doing for PS5)

Regardless of that you're getting bogged down in technicalities and missing the point. Hyrule Warriors might be published by Koei Tecmo but it's a Nintendo IP and people will buy it because it's a Nintendo IP with Nintendo marketing.

It was also never about who has the "better relationship" it was about who people associate publishers with. People don't associate Koei Tecmo with Nintendo platforms, especially not to the extent that Sony buying exclusivity for a Musou, Gust game or Team Ninja game would be seen as any kind of coup.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
... and Dead or Alive 6, and Dynasty Warriors 9.(and presumably whatever new thing TN is doing for PS5)

Regardless of that you're getting bogged down in technicalities and missing the point. Hyrule Warriors might be published by Koei Tecmo but it's a Nintendo IP and people will buy it because it's a Nintendo IP with Nintendo marketing.

It was also never about who has the "better relationship" it was about who people associate publishers with. People don't associate Koei Tecmo with Nintendo platforms, especially not to the extent that Sony buying exclusivity for a Musou, Gust game or Team Ninja game would be seen as any kind of coup.
If you look at it this way, Nintendo is letting Koei work on their second most important franchise that Nintendo has, for the second time. And they have work with their ips for a while. Has Sony let Koei do that?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
You forgot about MUA 3.
And I forgot about Fire Emblem Warriors.
and you both forgot pokemon conquest
koei tecmo is probably nintendo's biggest partner right now (for 1st party switch games)
Oh, I would agree with you then. I think most people think just of Nintendo when seeing this games, rather than Koei Tecmo.
But isn't it more important that there are certain companies now that are so close to Nintendo, when previously they weren't? I think Koei Tecmo and Marvelous started it fairly recently.
If you look at it this way, Nintendo is letting Koei work on their second most important franchise that Nintendo has, for the second time. And they have work with their ips for a while. Has Sony let Koei do that?

The way I understand it, most (perhaps all) of you are missing the context of what Oregano was originally referring to.

The post that started the discussion was actually this one:
Insiders like Imran have said Sony has one year exclusives with pubs who are more associated with Xbox/Nintendo

One of them I can think of Bandai Namco, Now that I think of this when was the last time a bandai namco game was co marketed by Sony ?

To which Oregano responded
I think he was referring to more western based publishers like Bethesda with that. Bandai Namco being co-marketed by Microsoft is a recent thing(2018+) and they never really stopped pushing PlayStation games(even exclusives).

I don't think there's any Japanese publisher who is more associated with Microsoft or Nintendo than Sony tbh. Maybe Level 5 with Nintendo but Ni No Kuni 3 being PS5 exclusive wouldn't really be a shocker there.

I think everybody is responding to Oregano's second paragraph, without understanding the context should be what Imran said.

The way I understand it, the point is: is there a Japanese publisher who are more associated with Nintendo than Sony, that Sony could have a one year exclusive from, that will actually give them an advantage over Nintendo (otherwise why should Sony bother)? And to that Oregano answered an overall no.

If that is what any of you answered to, my apologies. :-)

Last edited:

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I will agree with Oregano on KT...for now. I think Atelier 2 will show how far NIntendo has come.

But I don't see any reasonable argument for Marvelous being more associated with Sony than Nintendo.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably update my list of 2020 games per sales tier and platform next week but at the very least before TGS since we should get the full 2020 line-up by then.

In the meantime, thanks to the MC 1000 let's how things compared in 2019:

2019 line-up

4m+ sellers:

- Pokémon Sword/Shield (NSW)

2m+ sellers:

- Ring Fit Adventure (NSW)

1m+ sellers :

- Super Mario Maker 2 (NSW)
- New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (NSW)
- Luigi's Mansion 3 (NSW)

500k+ sellers:

- Kingdom Hearts III (PS4)
- Dragon Quest XI S (NSW)
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
- Fishing Spirits (NSW)
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses (NSW)

200k+ sellers:

- Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4)
- Death Stranding (PS4)
- Yokai Watch 4 (NSW)
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
- Ace Combat 7 (PS4)
- Link's Awakening (NSW)
- Professional Baseball Spirits (PS4/PSV)
- Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)
- Yoshi's Crafted World (NSW)
- Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
- Days Gone (PS4)
- Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (NSW)
- Devil May Cry 5 (PS4)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PS4)
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 2020 (NSW)
- Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (NSW)

100k+ sellers:

- Super Dragon Ball Heroes (NSW)
- Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (NSW)
- eFootball Winning Eleven 2020 (PS4)
- Jump Force (PS4)
- Anthem (PS4)
- Super Robot Wars T (PS4/NSW)
- Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
- Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (NSW)
- Doraemon: Story of Seasons (NSW)
- Code Vein (PS4)
- Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit (NSW)
- SD Gundam G Generation: Cross Rays (PS4/NSW)
- Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (PS4/NSW)
- Tales of Vesperia (PS4/NSW)
- NieR: Automata - Game of the YoRHa Edition (PS4)
- Atelier Ryza (PS4/NSW)
- FIFA 20 (PS4/NSW)

PS only - 17
NSW only - 19
PS4/NSW - 6

2020 will show how the shared library got bigger. Before anyone says something, I am conservative on my estimates for games that are still selling.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just curious, but what exactly do you think would be the business arrangement for a game like Age of Calamity which is published by TK in Japan?

Normally, like in the case of Smash, Nintendo would hire Bamco's studio(s) to work on their game. This kind of scenario is easy to understand. Nintendo essentially employs Bamco as contract workers, but it's Nintendo's game, they reap all the rewards of its sales.

For HW:AoC you have a situation where it's a Nintendo IP (but also a TK IP). In a sense Nintendo is licencing its IP to a third party publisher, but at the same time they are co-developing the title, and publishing it in the West. Whom do you suppose is footing the bill for the game's development? Is it evenly split between the two companies? Or does TK bear the greater share of the costs because they are benefiting directly from using Nintendo's heralded IP (however only in Japan)? It's kind of a complex problem. Probably a complex business arrangement too.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sony has done the revserse

They helped team ninja with nioh , a lot of staff from Sony Jp have worked on nioh

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he was referring to more western based publishers like Bethesda with that. Bandai Namco being co-marketed by Microsoft is a recent thing(2018+) and they never really stopped pushing PlayStation games(even exclusives).

I don't think there's any Japanese publisher who is more associated with Microsoft or Nintendo than Sony tbh. Maybe Level 5 with Nintendo but Ni No Kuni 3 being PS5 exclusive wouldn't really be a shocker there.

Yeah your right, but he tweeted post bethesda tie up and games which are general multi but will be exclusive

Also was curious if bandai namco co marketing deals with xbox must be affecting in Jp sales ?

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Just curious, but what exactly do you think would be the business arrangement for a game like Age of Calamity which is published by TK in Japan?

Normally, like in the case of Smash, Nintendo would hire Bamco's studio(s) to work on their game. This kind of scenario is easy to understand. Nintendo essentially employs Bamco as contract workers, but it's Nintendo's game, they reap all the rewards of its sales.

For HW:AoC you have a situation where it's a Nintendo IP (but also a TK IP). In a sense Nintendo is licencing its IP to a third party publisher, but at the same time they are co-developing the title, and publishing it in the West. Whom do you suppose is footing the bill for the game's development? Is it evenly split between the two companies? Or does TK bear the greater share of the costs because they are benefiting directly from using Nintendo's heralded IP (however only in Japan)? It's kind of a complex problem. Probably a complex business arrangement too.
I'm sure Nintendo helped finance the development and published the game in the West, where Zelda games do better.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The way I understand it, most (perhaps all) of you are missing the context of what Oregano was originally referring to.

The post that started the discussion was actually this one:

To which Oregano responded

Everybody is responding to Oregano's second paragraph, without understanding the context should be what Imran said.

Thank you!

I'm not saying they don't have a strong relationship with Nintendo, but outside of Fatal Frame(which would be a surprise) their Nintendo associated output is Nintendo owned; the rest of their output is quite clearly associated with PlayStation.
I will agree with Oregano on KT...for now. I think Atelier 2 will show how far NIntendo has come.

But I don't see any reasonable argument for Marvelous being more associated with Sony than Nintendo.

I somewhat conceded on Marvelous, but I don't think it would be surprising for Sony to have (timed) exclusivity on anything other than Story of Seasons or Rune Factory(unless it was DxM2 lol). MMV have been no stranger to PlayStation exclusives.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

We don't really know, and likely never will. But it should be noted that this isn't new, the previous Nintendo/Musou crossovers were published the same way.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you!

I'm not saying they don't have a strong relationship with Nintendo, but outside of Fatal Frame(which would be a surprise) their Nintendo associated output is Nintendo owned; the rest of their output is quite clearly associated with PlayStation.

I somewhat conceded on Marvelous, but I don't think it would be surprising for Sony to have (timed) exclusivity on anything other than Story of Seasons or Rune Factory(unless it was DxM2 lol). MMV have been no stranger to PlayStation exclusives.
Perhaps Pranay is right, and Imran associates Bandai Namco with Nintendo, and so if they suddenly announce Tales of Arise is a one year exclusive, it will be seen as a win (even though actually it was not announced for Switch anyway, so I am not sure...)

OR, it just occurred to me, what if Sony secured one year exclusivity on the next Etrian Odyssey - that would fit the definition (though it's not a really big seller in the first place).

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps Pranay is right, and Imran associates Bandai Namco with Nintendo, and so if they suddenly announce Tales of Arise is a one year exclusive, it will be seen as a win (even though actually it was not announced for Switch anyway, so I am not sure...)

OR, it just occurred to me, what if Sony secured one year exclusivity on the next Etrian Odyssey - that would fit the definition (though it's not a really big seller in the first place).
Both of those would be very weird options.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Both of those would be very weird options.
I agree on Etrian Odyssey, just trying to see if anything in Japan could fit " Sony has one year exclusives with pubs who are more associated with Xbox/Nintendo". Why would one year exclusivity on the new Tales be a weird option though? (not that I want it to happen).

Btw, Pranay, do you have the source for what Imran said? Just to be certain that when i keep repeating this, it is indeed what they said... :-)

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah your right, but he tweeted post bethesda tie up and games which are general multi but will be exclusive

Also was curious if bandai namco co marketing deals with xbox must be affecting in Jp sales ?

I don't think so. I'm not even sure if Japan is included in the co marketing deals to be honest.

To be fair I'm not even sure Imran mentioned it in relation to Nintendo; it might have just been Microsoft.

Etrian Odyssey wouldn't be a bad shout but yeah, we're really talking about small franchises that wouldn't move the needle whatsoever so I don't see Sony pursuing them.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree on Etrian Odyssey, just trying to see if anything in Japan could fit " Sony has one year exclusives with pubs who are more associated with Xbox/Nintendo". Why would one year exclusivity on the new Tales be a weird option though? (not that I want it to happen).

Btw, Pranay, do you have the source for what Imran said? Just to be certain that when i keep repeating this, it is indeed what they said... :-)

ill share few things in sometime

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
And speaking about Square, they already got a taste of that Switch money. I'm sure we will see more games on Switch, specially if Nintendo is footing the bill for the West. It will be curious how Square will go when the Switch 2 comes. I'm sure they will jump on it way faster.

Square's Switch strategy is largely an outgrowth of their GBA/DS/3DS strategy due to the handheld origins of the system. It's a good dumping ground for retro re-releases, franchise spin-offs, and mid-tier projects. So that's nothing new for them. I think what's become increasingly clear is that the bigger titles which typically land on Sony/MS/PC are less frequent due to the development times and delays that are typical of the genre. We went an entire generation without either a) multiple mainline Final Fantasy titles and/or b) multiple sequels to a mainline entry. Some of that might be down to how messy XV's development was, but it's also indicative of how much more time-consuming game development has become.

And this isn't just Square. Look at Atlus's output for the PS3/PS4 vs. PS2.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Square's Switch strategy is largely an outgrowth of their GBA/DS/3DS strategy due to the handheld origins of the system. It's a good dumping ground for retro re-releases, franchise spin-offs, and mid-tier projects. So that's nothing new for them. I think what's become increasingly clear is that the bigger titles which typically land on Sony/MS/PC are less frequent due to the development times and delays that are typical of the genre. We went an entire generation without either a) multiple mainline Final Fantasy titles and/or b) multiple sequels to a mainline entry. Some of that might be down to how messy XV's development was, but it's also indicative of how much more time-consuming game development has become.

And this isn't just Square. Look at Atlus's output for the PS3/PS4 vs. PS2.
I think that's true for every developer and publisher. Supposedly, the new consoles will shorten development time... We all see.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sorry I think I messed up a bit as there are different sources with Imran and Navtra

Time Line -

Imran and Jez said about third party exclusives for year 1 (there are threads on this)

to which Matt Reverted this

Yeah, there is a lot of it coming and the scale will be shocking.

and then Navtra Reverted this when people thought of Square towards the end of thread
It depends on what you mean by huge.

Like, FFXVI isn't huge imo since the series has always been associated with Playstation and all, but there're more.

There're games, some of which have been known / semi-announced already, that you'd expect to release multi-platform but they won't. Sony has been securing one year console exclusivity with titles that were never really associated with PS, and I think people will be surprised once those deals come to light. (Probably very soon)

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

One year exclusivity for Tales after it was at Microsoft's E3 presentation and already announced for their platform just seems weird to me.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding, they weren't strictly talking about Japanese third parties, but third parties overall, correct me if I'm wrong.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry I think I messed up a bit as there are different sources with Imran and Navtra

Time Line -

Imran and Jez said about third party exclusives for year 1 (there are threads on this)

to which Matt Reverted this

and then Navtra Reverted this when people thought of Square towards the end of thread
Ok thanks, but I don't see any specific mention of Nintendo here, right? When people say multi-platform (as these did), very (very) often it's just PS/XB/PC (often people even call PS/PC multiplatform, but I really don't think they meant that in this context...).

Especially so since I can't think of any reasonably large 3rd party franchise (Japanese or not) that is a " title that was never really associated with PS" and relevant to Nintendo. With the exception of Minecraft, which I would say will happen after hell freezes over. Ah, and DQ... But that would be quite a business mistake by SE which they half prevented at the last minute with DQXI, so doubt it as well.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest is the only IP that it would be worthwhile to secure exclusivity on from a Japanese perspective but from an international/western perspective I'm not sure that would be all that surprising, or that it's something that you wouldn't associate with PlayStation.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the PS4 got its first big restock since a while ago. Several SKUs climbed the Amazon chart.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
If Switch 4K is real Nintendo might try to find some way to include some sort of machine learning and HDR support to give it visual parity with the outgoing PlayStation and Xbox at least in the realm of image quality.

Might not be enough to win over From Software, Square, Bamco and Capcom's biggest games though.

On a side note Mario 3D collection came out pretty strong on comg. I feel like this winter was planned to be a big third party blowout on Switch before Covid ruined everything.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
So, do we still believe Bravely Default 2 will release this year? I guess it's wait for TGS and maybe a December WW release.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
As Chris said before, September is the deadline for announcements of games aiming this holiday season. We'll know very soon what happens with BD2 and Rune Factory 5.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
As Chris said before, September is the deadline for announcements of games aiming this holiday season. We'll know very soon what happens with BD2 and Rune Factory 5.
This is referring to everyone outside of Nintendo correct? Cuz rules shouldn't apply to them. I can't wait for them to announce a game coming out the following day :P

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I expect Bravely Default 2 and Rune Factory 5 both to get release schedule updates at TGS and both of them to release in December.

Bravely will be a worldwide release, which means Nintendo will announce the release date. So it won't be at TGS, but I assume Nintendo will do a Partner Showcase this month.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't care if it's actually *at* TGS, but definitely around that event. A Partner Showcase by Nintendo a week before TGS is definitely planned in that week because of TGS.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's always a chance PS5 exceeds PS4 in Japan if it happens to get one special game that turns out to be a major hit. I don't mean the next entry in an existing franchise like FF, MH, or DQ, I mean something totally new that becomes a new phenomenon. You can't really predict or rely on that, but it has in fact happened a few times in history.

I guess it's worth noting that Sony doesn't seem to putting much effort into cultivating that, preferring instead to focus on serving their existing audience.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The only company capable to create new big hits in Japan anymore is Nintendo.

There was Level 5 too until 4-5 years ago but they are done now with zero chances for a comeback.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like there's always a chance PS5 exceeds PS4 in Japan if it happens to get one special game that turns out to be a major hit. I don't mean the next entry in an existing franchise like FF, MH, or DQ, I mean something totally new that becomes a new phenomenon. You can't really predict or rely on that, but it has in fact happened a few times in history.

I guess it's worth noting that Sony doesn't seem to putting much effort into cultivating that, preferring instead to focus on serving their existing audience.
Agree 100%.

EDIT:
For how unlikely it cannot be ruled out.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's definitely not impossible, just unlikely IMO.

Especially when you consider the fact that in January 2017 we would have no reason to believe Switch would outperform 3DS. It was more expensive than the already initially expensive 3DS, and with less third party support.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It'll be hard to create any new titles with mass market appeal when a lot of Sony's target audience is older and set in their ways.

The ones that might become hits might not lend themselves to weekly charts like Fortnite and Minecraft.

I do think PS5 will technically get a new guaranteed million-seller in GTAVI though.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
COMG! preorders chart, Week 37 2020:
Each point represents one preorder at this retailer. It is a relatively small retailer located in one region so be careful when you extrapolate, especially regarding Otaku games (overrepresented) and family games (underrepresented).

1. Super Mario 3D All Stars - 43 pts (+23 pts)
2. Momotaro Dentetsu - 27 pts (+4 pts)
3. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Collector's Edition (PS4) - 23 pts (+1 pt)
4. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Collector's Edition (NSW) - 21 pts (+2 pts)
5. Atelier Ryza 2 (NSW) - 19 pts (+1 pt)
6. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS4) - 16 pts (+2 pts)
7. Atelier Ryza 2 (PS4) - 15 pts (+2 pts)
8. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (NSW) - 15 pts (+2 pts)
9. Atelier Ryza 2 Collector's Edition (NSW) - 12 pts (+3 pts)
10. Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 12 pts (+3 pts)
11. Watch Dogs Legion - 12 pts (+2 pts)
12. Cyberpunk 2077 – 11 pts (+1 pt)
13. Azur Lane (NSW) - 8 pts (+1 pt)
14. Winning Eleven Update Season 2021 - 5 pts (+1 pt)
15. Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 5 pts (+0 pt)
16. Kamen Rider Collector's Edition (PS4) - 4 pts (+0 pt)
17. Sakuna Rice (NSW) - 4 pts (+1 pt)
18. FIFA 21 Legacy Edition (NSW) - 4 pts (NE)
19. Medabots Classics Plus Special Edition - 4 pts (+0 pt)
20. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 3 pts (NE)

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be hard to create any new titles with mass market appeal when a lot of Sony's target audience is older and set in their ways.

The ones that might become hits might not lend themselves to weekly charts like Fortnite and Minecraft.

I do think PS5 will technically get a new guaranteed million-seller in GTAVI though.

Yeah, and even the named titles(MH, FF, and DQ) were targeted at both younger and older fans when they took off. Now Capcom is trying to find that audience on Switch and FF is firmly focused on the older crowd.

When you look at the games that have become phenoms in the last decade or so they target a different audience than a lot of the games these devs are making for Playstation.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I know its just comgnet and all the usual disclaimers apply..but it isn't looking like famista is on track for a strong debut..