• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the gif. Is that not right? Look at everyone saying the PS4 will win the next NPD because of Spiderman. In Japan it doesn't seem like anyone raced out to get a PS4 for Spiderman
In general, it wasnt expected that Spiderman would really push PS4 hardware sales in Japan. The game itself is doing a lot better than what people in general thought it would do however.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the gif. Is that not right? Look at everyone saying the PS4 will win the next NPD because of Spiderman. In Japan it doesn't seem like anyone raced out to get a PS4 for Spiderman
Spiderman might be big in Japan, but his games sell like shit. This game is an outlier and no one expects it to push systems, even with its surprise sales.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At this point in its life, I don't expect any game to make a big push for PS4 hardware sales in Japan. I can see KH3 having a big one week sales push for hardware but that's pretty much it.

What I want to know is this: is Sony satisfied with PS4's performance in Japan? If so, how will third parties react to PS5 if it doesn't do much to improve in Japan? If Sony isn't happy, what can they realistically do to improve their sales in Japan while also maintaining a strong hold on the western market?

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
I wonder if whoever created Peachette ever expected things to blow up like that (クッパ姫 hashtag). For those who don't know... click here (probably not NSFW).

Dn2xL-pW0AItph4.jpg:large

Many third-party Japanese business strategies don't make much sense (then they will complain about the decline of their home market) but Konami is the one that takes the biscuit by skipping Switch for its sports titles, is so damn laughable.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 on Switch with just a few markets like Japan + Spain + Italy would far outsell what it is going to sell worldwide on Xbox One.

The fun thing is that when the Switch and Super Bomberman R were released, Konami was heraled as "The one 3rd-party publisher that got it", and all. If only they had known Super Bomberman R would remain Konami's one and only Switch game for the first two years (not counting NSO stuff of course, that's not even Konami themselves).

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if whoever created Peachette ever expected things to blow up like that (クッパ姫 hashtag). For those who don't know... click here (probably not NSFW).

There is a locked fanart thread and a discussion thread for the topic. I am interested to know if more people will actually buy NSMBU Deluxe after this blowout (even though the game is guaranteed to sell well).

BTW, the third last one is King Boo. People are going after King Boo now.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

The fun thing is that when the Switch and Super Bomberman R were released, Konami was heraled as "The one 3rd-party publisher that got it", and all. If only they had known Super Bomberman R would remain Konami's one and only Switch game for the first two years (not counting NSO stuff of course, that's not even Konami themselves).
Is the second one the boo variation as that one was trending for a while.
edit: seems answered

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That's true, but no one here really expected Spider-Man to push a ton of console. Granted, that was paired with lower expectations for the game's actual software sales, but there wasn't an expectation that the game would push units in Japan.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 39, 2018 (Sep 24- Sep 30)

new releases

{2018.09.25}
[NSW] Ultimate Chicken Horse _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Clever Endeavour Games) (¥1.370)
[NSW] Arena of Valor _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Tencent) (¥0)

{2018.09.27}
[PSV] Tayutama 2: You're the Only One # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥6.980)
[PSV] Tayutama 2: You're the Only One (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥8.980)
[PSV] Tayutama 2: You're the Only One (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥5.980)
[PSV] Sanzen Sekai Yuugi: Re Multi Universe Myself <ADV> (Dramatic Create) (¥6.900)
[PSV] Sanzen Sekai Yuugi: Re Multi Universe Myself (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Dramatic Create) (¥6.400)
[PSV] Koshotengai no Hashihime Kurikaeshi <ADV> (Dramatic Create) (¥6.900)
[PSV] Koshotengai no Hashihime Kurikaeshi (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Dramatic Create) (¥6.400)
[NSW] Warriors Orochi 4 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.800)
[NSW] Warriors Orochi 4 (1)(Premium Box) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.800)
[NSW] Warriors Orochi 4 (2)(Treasure Box) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥15.800)
[NSW] Warriors Orochi 4 (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.800)
[NSW] Warriors Orochi 4 (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| (Digital Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥11.300)
[NSW] Dragon Ball FighterZ <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.800)
[NSW] Dragon Ball FighterZ (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.800)
[NSW] Valkyria Chronicles 4 <SLG> (Sega) (¥7.490)
[NSW] Valkyria Chronicles 4 (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Sega) (¥7.490)
[NSW] Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥6.980)
[NSW] Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥6.980)
[NSW] The World Ends with You: Final Remix <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥4.800)
[NSW] The World Ends with You: Final Remix (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥4.800)
[NSW] Norn9: Norn + Nonette - Lofn for Nintendo Switch # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.800)
[NSW] Norn9: Norn + Nonette - Lofn for Nintendo Switch (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.800)
[NSW] Norn9: Norn + Nonette - Lofn for Nintendo Switch (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.800)
[NSW] MotoGP 18 <RCE> (Oizumi Amuzio) (¥6.400)
[NSW] MotoGP 18 (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Oizumi Amuzio) (¥5.926)
[NSW] Valkyria Chronicles for Nintendo Switch _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <SLG> (Sega) (¥1.990)
[NSW] Armello _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <TBL> (League of Geeks) (¥1.833)
[NSW] Rooms: The Adventure of Anne & George _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Prism Plus) (¥1.555)
[NSW] Secret Game: Killer Queen for Nintendo Switch _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Views) (¥1.500)
[NSW] Rebellions: Secret Game 2nd Stage for Nintendo Switch _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Views) (¥1.500)
[NSW] Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Circle Entertainment) (¥1.388)
[NSW] Bridge Constructor Portal _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <SLG> (Rainy Frog) (¥1.388)
[NSW] Dream Alone _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Worker Bee) (¥1.250)
[NSW] Moorhuhn Wanted _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <STG> (Higgs Games) (¥833)
[NSW] Mummy Pinball _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <TBL> (Starsign) (¥277)
[PS4] Warriors Orochi 4 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.800)
[PS4] Warriors Orochi 4 (1)(Premium Box) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.800)
[PS4] Warriors Orochi 4 (2)(Treasure Box) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥15.800)
[PS4] Warriors Orochi 4 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.800)
[PS4] Warriors Orochi 4 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Digital Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥11.300)
[PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - The End of Saga # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥7.800)
[PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - The End of Saga (Eternal Preservation Edition) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥11.800)
[PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - The End of Saga (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥6.667)
[PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - The End of Saga (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Digital Deluxe Edition) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥10.000)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Zan # <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥7.800)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Zan (Premium Edition) <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥10.800)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Zan (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥7.000)
[PS4] Tayutama 2: You're the Only One # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥6.980)
[PS4] Tayutama 2: You're the Only One (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥8.980)
[PS4] Tayutama 2: You're the Only One (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥5.980)
[PS4] MotoGP 18 <RCE> (Oizumi Amuzio) (¥6.800)
[PS4] MotoGP 18 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Oizumi Amuzio) (¥6.297)
[PS4] Assetto Corsa: Ultimate Edition <Assetto Corsa \ Assetto Corsa: Ferrari 70th Anniversary> <RCE> (Oizumi Amuzio) (¥6.400)
[PS4] Assetto Corsa: Ultimate Edition <Assetto Corsa \ Assetto Corsa: Ferrari 70th Anniversary> (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Oizumi Amuzio) (¥5.926)
[PS4] Battlefield 1: Revolution [EA Best Hits] <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥2.800)
[PS4] Battlefield 1: Revolution (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| [EA Best Hits] <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥2.800)

{2018.09.28}
[NSW] FIFA 19 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥5.800)
[NSW] FIFA 19 (Champions Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.800)
[NSW] FIFA 19 (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥5.800)
[PS4] FIFA 19 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.800)
[PS4] FIFA 19 (Champions Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥9.800)
[PS4] FIFA 19 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.800)
[PS4] FIFA 19 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (1)(Champions Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥9.800)
[PS4] FIFA 19 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (2)(Ultimate Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥11.800)
[XB1] FIFA 19 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.800)
[XB1] FIFA 19 (Champions Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥9.800)
[XB1] FIFA 19 (ε) _Download Version_ |DL| # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.800)
[XB1] FIFA 19 (ε) _Download Version_ |DL| (1)(Champions Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥9.800)
[XB1] FIFA 19 (ε) _Download Version_ |DL| (2)(Ultimate Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥11.800)
[XB1] Forza Horizon 4 (Ultimate Edition) <RCE> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥10.900)
[XB1] Forza Horizon 4 (ε) _Download Version_ |DL| (Ultimate Edition) <RCE> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥10.900)
___

YSO predictions

01. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - The End of Saga < 120k (average 110k) [week 1]
02. [PS4] Warriors Orochi 4 < 95k (average 85k) [week 1]
03. [PS4] Utawarerumono: Zan < 75k (average 65k) [week 1]
04. [PS4] FIFA 19 < 60k (average 55k) [week 1]

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PS4 situation in Japan is hopeless, exact opposite from its situation in US so any kind of comparison doesn't stand.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested to see the performance of this last batch of new releases this month. I think Valkyria Chronicles 4 will do reasonably decent with that discount for VC1.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
YSO has next week as an easy one for predicting top 3 rankings (3/5 stars) but range of numbers might be more difficult.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
There is a locked fanart thread and a discussion thread for the topic. I am interested to know if more people will actually buy NSMBU Deluxe after this blowout (even though the game is guaranteed to sell well).

BTW, the third last one is King Boo. People are going after King Boo now.

I highly doubt this will have any sort of impact on sales tbh, but hey, that's still publicity so at least it won't hurt.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, should've had Smash, but I guess they couldn't manage to get it out at this point in the year.
I think Smash in September would have worked if they had one additional bigger title coming later this year like Yoshi or Fire Emblem or even... Yokai Watch 4/Inazuma Eleven Ares or NSMBU DX, or ideally one of those titles would have launched in September instead. A Xenoblade 2 expansion between August and September doesn't feel like enough.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
At this point in its life, I don't expect any game to make a big push for PS4 hardware sales in Japan. I can see KH3 having a big one week sales push for hardware but that's pretty much it.

What I want to know is this: is Sony satisfied with PS4's performance in Japan? If so, how will third parties react to PS5 if it doesn't do much to improve in Japan? If Sony isn't happy, what can they realistically do to improve their sales in Japan while also maintaining a strong hold on the western market?

I think if PS5 sales end up being roughly the same as PS4 sales in Japan the only thing that will help 3rd party publishers is an increase in digital purchases and overall game prices. They'd also have to think about multiplatform and international releases for everything.

Best thing they can do is make sure their next console doesn't collapse domestically, does well internationally and is able to play nice with other platforms on the development end.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Small sales hints

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Japan: Switch÷3DS = 75÷25
Rest of the world: Switch÷3DS = 85÷15
Japan ~ Rest of the world (for 3DS)

WarioWare Gold
Worst selling WarioWare entry everywhere with western sales taking a very big hit, it will end behind D.I.Y that was a disappointment and kept franchise at ice for almost a decade.
Japan ~ Rest of the world

Luigi's Mansion and Neko-Tomo next titles under watch. Maybe Neko-Tomo will have a better split for 3DS comparing to Sushi Striker and Captain Toad.
Things didn't improve since then

WarioWare Gold
July+August USA < 50% August Japan

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 38 will be the biggest for PS4 software until week 50k, 20k baseline for hardware has to extended for November too. Last year Sony had run several promotion deals trying to keep sales up at holidays, nothing is known for this year so far.

Smash Bros Ultimate preorders indicate a huge opening for Smash Bros. standards, Pokemon preorders not so much. It will depend heavily on how big new audience it will attract.

Super Mario Party interest is increasing rapidly as release date approaches.

3DS continues at the same path, drop for Persona Q2 and very big drop for Luigi's Mansion are coming.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of expected that for WarioWare. It's being held back simply because of the system it's on.

Is Captain Toad continuing to sell good?
On Switch for the type of game it is it does.
How are the pre orders compared to Smash 3DS back in 2014?
They are not really comparable. 3DS came out is September with Wii U version coming out in December.

Switch is the only version, coming inside holidays with a not very limited bundle three weeks earlier.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt this will have any sort of impact on sales tbh, but hey, that's still publicity so at least it won't hurt.
I've honestly been very interested to see if it will lead to a spike in pre-orders for New Super Mario Bros. U deluxe. It's indirectly getting a to of publicity.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is the same story everywhere. The core, preordering audience aren't too enthralled and that was the only measurable thing we had for pokemon sales. Everyone is sailing into a storm with no map. Of course Nintendo's measures would be far better, but it is worrying

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is the same story everywhere. The core, preordering audience aren't too enthralled and that was the only measurable thing we had for pokemon sales. Everyone is sailing into a storm with no map. Of course Nintendo's measures would be far better, but it is worrying
To be honest it's starting to sound like Labo. Core audience doesn't care for it and the casual has a huge hurdle to jump (300$+60$). Of course Pokémon has the strenght of the IP behind it so it'll never bomb but it's still a big shot in the dark.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest it's starting to sound like Labo. Core audience doesn't care for it and the casual has a huge hurdle to jump (300$+60$). Of course Pokémon has the strenght of the IP behind it so it'll never bomb but it's still a big shot in the dark.

I feel like Nintendo tried way too quickly to attract the casual audience en masse. Having Kirby, Labo and Pokémon Let's Go as tentpole releases the year after launch when your console is still $300 was really risky and I'm not sure it's gonna pay off. Those games should have been released in 2019. Maybe even 2020 for Labo.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Nintendo tried way too quickly to attract the casual audience en masse. Having Kirby, Labo and Pokémon Let's Go as tentpole releases the year after launch when your console is still $300 was really risky and I'm not sure it's gonna pay off. Those games should have been released in 2019. Maybe even 2020 for Labo.

Kirby already outsold the 3DS entries WW and is on its way to selling 2m+ LTD. Pokemon LGPE has a good chance of selling ~15m WW which would put it about on par with the 3DS entries, even as a remake.

Labo is the only one that might've done considerably better if released later on in the system's life, but even then Nintendo expects a large portion of its sales to come from the holidays so it's probably too soon to write it off just yet.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

Sometimes I feel they are a very smart company, sometimes I feel they are stupid XD
their schedule and release strategy for the first year were very smart, its the best I've ever seen for a gaming system in its first year.
they had all the right titles in all the right times.

but it turns out... that they probably wanted 1st year to be for hardcore players, and second year for casuals (3 Labo kits, and 4 Pokemon Let's GO kits).
... why?
it is way too early for that. also, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't prepare more content (first or third party) for more core players, Kirby ain't gonna cut it when you have been playing games like Zelda BotW and Super Mario Odyssey, it can sell but it can't push systems.

I didn't expect Nintendo to not be very aggressive at all. they seemed very relaxed like they owned the market. competition is never easy, it is very hard, they should've been way more aggressive in my humble opinion.

I don't know if its just me, but I feel Nintendo under Iwata was much more aggressive. you need to be very persuasive to get exclusivity from franchises like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter. he was always pushing in a surprising ways.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Using Kirby as a lineup mistake is a ? argument. Considering how well it's done.

And it's not like having Kirby in labo in 2019 would suddenly make Metroid, Bayonetta, Star Fox all huge 2018 games. That's not how development works.

no

It'd just make 2018 empty.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Using Kirby as a lineup mistake is a ? argument. Considering how well it's done.

And it's not like having Kirby in labo in 2019 would suddenly make Metroid, Bayonetta, Star Fox all huge 2018 games. That's not how development works.

no

It'd just make 2018 empty.

Kirby is selling very well for what it is, but it got the big Q1 tentpole spot right off a record-breaking year achieved thanks to exciting new core games. Kirby is just not that type of game. Yes, it did well for itself, but Q1 tentpoles are meant to keep up the momentum from the holiday season and be significant hardware sales drivers. Kirby was never gonna achieve that and didn't achieve it. Following it up with Labo a month later just exacerbated the problem. Nintendo did great in 2017, with Zelda in March and Mario Kart in April. Choosing Kirby and Labo to take their spots was definitely a mistake, in my opinion. Both games sold largely to existing Switch owners and didn't drive adoption.

And it's not a matter of delaying it and rushing through the development of a 2019 game instead. Games are greenlit with release windows in mind and I think Nintendo's priorities were wrong.

Oct 29, 2017
Kirby is selling very well for what it is, but it got the big Q1 tentpole spot right off a record-breaking year achieved thanks to exciting new core games. Kirby is just not that type of game. Yes, it did well for itself, but Q1 tentpoles are meant to keep up the momentum from the holiday season and be significant hardware sales drivers. Kirby was never gonna achieve that and didn't achieve it. Following it up with Labo a month later just exacerbated the problem. Nintendo did great in 2017, with Zelda in March and Mario Kart in April. Choosing Kirby and Labo to take their spots was definitely a mistake, in my opinion. Both games sold largely to existing Switch owners and didn't drive adoption.

And it's not a matter of delaying it and rushing through the development of a 2019 game instead. Games are greenlit with release windows in mind and I think Nintendo's priorities were wrong.

Zelda games take 5-7 years to make. You were never gonna get something of the same magnitude in March 2018; that was impossible.

HAL also don't make Mario or Zelda style games; they have nothing to do with what EPD are or are not doing. Their game happened to be ready for March and it filled the release window. The end.

You could make a point for EPD wasting resources on Labo that could've been better spent elsewhere; the Labo games will end of comprising their entire 2018 output after all (outside of the Captain Toad port, which was actually mostly done by NST). But that has nothing to do with Kirby.

Nintendo bet big on Labo and, so far at least, it was a bad bet.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Most of these games are made by different teams. EPD, Hal, Int Sys, Good Feel, etc aren't the same company.
if games were ready, they would've come out this year. They're not.

Not greenlighting Kirby for HAL wouldn't suddenly make Next Level crank out LM3 for 2018, or speed up Platinum on Bayo3.

We don't really know about adoption except that sales are near the same as last FY so far iirc.
A Kirby game comes out about every year and half or less anyway. So we were actually due for one regardless.

edit:
Labo can be argued, but I don't generally touch the "instead of Labo they could've made ____" thing. Because I don't know how much of the R&D for Labo is more the software side, or some other division.
If Labo Variety and Robot didn't exist, could they have had a big name Q1 release by March? who knows. Big games take time, and I don't know how what Labo took.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
When people are discussing Nintendo's 2018 strategy, don't forget that both Fire Emblem and Yoshi were planned for this year. Their delay clearly made the year uneven.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
When people are discussing Nintendo's 2018 strategy, don't forget that both Fire Emblem and Yoshi were planned for this year. Their delay clearly made the year uneven.
I think he's only talking Q1, which FE and Yoshi didn't appear to be slated for to begin with. So I didn't mention it. I assume even if those games were on schedule, Q1 would've looked the same.

Oct 29, 2017
Most of these games are made by different teams. EPD, Hal, Int Sys, Good Feel, etc aren't the same company.
if games were ready, they would've come out this year. They're not.

Not greenlighting Kirby for HAL wouldn't suddenly make Next Level crank out LM3 for 2018, or speed up Platinum on Bayo3.

We don't really know about adoption except that sales are near the same as last FY so far iirc.
A Kirby game comes out about every year and half or less anyway. So we were actually due for one regardless.

edit:
Labo can be argued, but I don't generally touch the "instead of Labo they could've made ____" thing. Because I don't know how much of the R&D for Labo is more the software side, or some other division.
If Labo Variety and Robot didn't exist, could they have had a big name Q1 release by March? who knows. Big games take time, and I don't know how what Labo took.

Another point to make is that much of Labo is actually based off of existing prototypes that Nintendo had lying around (like Project Giant Robot); so it's actually likely to be a fairly efficient development process in making them.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Zelda games take 5-7 years to make. You were never gonna get something of the same magnitude in March 2018; that was impossible.

HAL also don't make Mario or Zelda style games; they have nothing to do with what EPD are or are not doing. Their game happened to be ready for March and it filled the release window. The end.

You could make a point for EPD wasting resources on Labo that could've been better spent elsewhere; the Labo games will end of comprising their entire 2018 output after all (outside of the Captain Toad port, which was actually mostly done by NST). But that has nothing to do with Kirby.

Nintendo bet big on Labo and, so far at least, it was a bad bet.

I think you need to make a lot of assumptions to reach your conclusions. We don't know how much they spent making labo or how long it took or even how many people worked on it. Also to me it seemed like a passion project, the sort of thing you let your staff work on to keep them passionate and happy.

We also have no idea what Nintendo's expectations were for labo. No doubt it has been a disappointment but you can say they bet big on it. They dropped it in April and really didn't have that big of a push for it.

Also despite floundering they haven't changed their FY forecast for SW or HW which tells me they can't have bet on it being too big.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's year 2 was poorly thought out and did a great job undercutting the insane momentum of year 1. I do think they had the wrong priorities (new ways to play, attracting the casual market right away) but also I don't know if they had anything else available anyway. Their first party output probably isn't capable of delivering strong years every time. I'm just wondering why on earth they would choose to be bullish with their 20M FY prediction the very year they have a relatively poor software lineup, mostly ports to pad it out, and no price cut.

Maybe Smash will bring it together in the end. But waiting for the holidays while virtually nothing of note is happening the rest of the year is risky (and boring for us).

I think you need to make a lot of assumptions to reach your conclusions. We don't know how much they spent making labo or how long it took or even how many people worked on it. Also to me it seemed like a passion project, the sort of thing you let your staff work on to keep them passionate and happy.

We also have no idea what Nintendo's expectations were for labo. No doubt it has been a disappointment but you can say they bet big on it. They dropped it in April and really didn't have that big of a push for it.

Also despite floundering they haven't changed their FY forecast for SW or HW which tells me they can't have bet on it being too big.
Labo was part of the "new ways to play" initiative Kimishima kept bringing up in investor's meeting as a way to keep the momentum going for year 2 and bringing more people, including those who "never play video games". That was all Labo, and maybe Pokémon Let's Go? I'd argue it was their main angle for the year, so seeing it fail can't be good news.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Like you wrote, Pokemon is huge and actually probably biggest IP in Japan, Labo is new IP thats aimed just to kids/parents, so they are quite different not similar.
So not just that Pokemon Lets Go is huge IP but it will be launch during Holiday season, so it will do at least good in worst case.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Like you wrote, Pokemon is huge and actually probably biggest IP in Japan, Labo is new IP thats aimed just to kids/parents, so they are quite different not similar.
So not just that Pokemon Lets Go is huge IP but it will be launch during Holiday season, so it will do at least good in worst case.
In my completely uninformed opinion, I'd say around 6-7 million is the bare minimum even if it's awful and has bad word of mouth. If it's good and people love it, it could go higher obviously. And then if the Go synergy takes off the sky is the limit, but that's when the price of entry and the general lack of enthusiasm for the game itself might become a problem.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
On Switch for the type of game it is it does.

They are not really comparable. 3DS came out is September with Wii U version coming out in December.

Switch is the only version, coming inside holidays with a not very limited bundle three weeks earlier.
Do you think Smash Ultimate could possibly touch 2M first week? I'm not trying to get you to make incredible predictions, mind you, just interested if you think the chance is over 10% :)

Smash U seems to have so much mindshare, in literally any YouTube video on Nintendo it is mentioned, for example. Add to that the great preorders, and I just get the feeling this will blow even optimistic predictions out of the water.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think for some weird reason people on this site think game development doesn't take time and that Nintendo is just sitting on them until they want to release them

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Nintendo's year 2 was poorly thought out and did a great job undercutting the insane momentum of year 1. I do think they had the wrong priorities (new ways to play, attracting the casual market right away) but also I don't know if they had anything else available anyway. Their first party output probably isn't capable of delivering strong years every time. I'm just wondering why on earth they would choose to be bullish with their 20M FY prediction the very year they have a relatively poor software lineup, mostly ports to pad it out, and no price cut.

Maybe Smash will bring it together in the end. But waiting for the holidays while virtually nothing of note is happening the rest of the year is risky (and boring for us).

?

Isn't Switch the best-selling hardware in US right now? Leading in Japan too and selling extremely well in PAL countries?

Nintendo 2017 evergreens are still topping charts all around the world. New 2018 releases sold extremely well (Kirby fastest selling entry in the franchise, Donkey Kong already eclipsed wii U version sales, Mario Tennis had a great performance). Switch got big third parties games too like Minecraft and Fortnite. Other third party games sold well, like Octopath. Indie games are thriving.

It seems that Switch has a pretty good momentum even if it lacks big games like Mario, Kart and Splatoon. This type of games was postponed to the end of the year and they will be huge. Smash preorders are literally exploding.

And the platform is still full price.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
In my completely uninformed opinion, I'd say around 6-7 million is the bare minimum even if it's awful and has bad word of mouth. If it's good and people love it, it could go higher obviously. And then if the Go synergy takes off the sky is the limit, but that's when the price of entry and the general lack of enthusiasm for the game itself might become a problem.

I would said that 10m is bare minimum LT WW.

But Switch still has momentum from last year, its still selling very well despite fact that this year still didnt had big game, and still has full price point.
Nintendo generaly always have very strong calendar Q4 and Holiday season, but this year with Pokemon and Smash Bros it will be very strong, noticeable stronger than last years (probably around 10m shipeed), so even if they dont hit 20m they will be somewhere around that number.