• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lxsrun

Feb 26, 2019
I am sure this has been asked before. I apologize. I could not find through search. Why is there Famitsu data, but not Media Create data this week? Also, is the hardware data from Famitsu or Media Create? Thank you.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
This is a niche game, if your game is not expected to appeal to the wider main stream audience why would you waste money advertising there if you honestly think the extra customers acquired would be minimal. If your margins are expected to be small advertising budget or lack there of becomes even more important.

Then expectations will be set accordingly.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure this has been asked before. I apologize. I could not find through search. Why is there Famitsu data, but not Media Create data this week? Also, is the hardware data from Famitsu or Media Create? Thank you.
Media Create stopped providing numbers. They only provide a Top 10 ranking now. Hardware is also Famitsu.

Thread is still named after Media Create for consistency and archiving purposes.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of talk about Fishing Spirits is disappointing...talk about a juggernaut! I demand that this game be released overseas!

Very possible it could outsell some of Nintendo's recent first party releases sans digital.
Bandai Namco's story on Switch. High sales from mainly low efforts.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So Winning Eleven declined even more in Japan whereas this year's version is gaining ground in the UK (+18%).

Fifa doubled its sales in Japan by adding a Switch SKU. The ball is in your side Konami.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
FIFA 20 on Switch is again a gimped version. Sooner or later these low effort releases will affect sales.

Konami got lucky with Jikkyou this time but if next entry isn't a proper one things won't be so easy.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
FIFA 20 on Switch is again a gimped version. Sooner or later these low effort releases will affect sales.

Konami got lucky with Jikkyou this time but next entry isn't a proper one things won't be so easy.
It is even worse this year but the pricing reflects that (it is cheaper in Japan). Will see whether price or quality will be the biggest factor here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that First Studio was the MHS team. Not sure what else they did before that, but Fate/Extella Link (first official game by that studio) was a big upgrade over the first one. Wonder what changed internally to make their internal games way better since MHS (another great game).

lol

I think it's basically all of what was the internal MMV/AQL devs combined.

Honey Parade and Hakama always have external developers.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on how evergreens will be impacted by the release? Some more than others, or generally in line with typical Switch hardware bumps?
Hardware bumps take some time to affect software but since this will be a big bump, without the huge software release that will take all air, evergreens should have sizable increases immediately.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's basically all of what was the internal MMV/AQL devs combined.

Honey Parade and Hakama always have external developers.
Uh, ok. I thought those two were internal teams too, just separate (like how it works in most companies).
Interesting.
Hakama was created one year after First Studio, and seemingly not from its staff. It is also not external, but rather part of Marvelous. Additionally, they don't appear to be the developers of the upcoming Story of Seasons, so unless the development of it is outsourced to a not-yet-disclosed company, Marvelous still has developers outside those two groups.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
It is even worse this year but the pricing reflects that (it is cheaper in Japan). Will see whether price or quality will be the biggest factor here.

To be fair, FIFA on Switch has always been cheaper than PS4 (Yen 6,264, against Yen 8,424). However, the difference for this year's entry is indeed bigger (Yen 8,345 on PS4; Yen 5,400 on NSW).

Anyways, I feel this year's Switch version will witness a YOY decrease for the debut (I wouldn't discount a -50% drop either). It should still enjoy good legs, maybe even more than usual thanks to the very low price.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Switch and Switch Lite promotional poster for stores:

8BUee6m.jpg

As most have guessed, Nintendo is pushing the original Switch as the "go-to" model.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hakama was created one year after First Studio, and seemingly not from its staff. It is also not external, but rather part of Marvelous. Additionally, they don't appear to be the developers of the upcoming Story of Seasons, so unless the development of it is outsourced to a not-yet-disclosed company, Marvelous still has developers outside those two groups.

I seem to recall someone saying the last few SoS games have been developed by TOSE but I can't verify that for obvious TOSE reasons.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
monster hunter drop looks very good but most of his sales are digital and i'm sure the overall drop looks a bit worse than that. Good hold tho.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to recall someone saying the last few SoS games have been developed by TOSE but I can't verify that for obvious TOSE reasons.
Yeah, that'd be a bit hard to figure out.
Anyway, digging deeper into it, I found that Honey Parade are also a subsidiary of Marvelous, like Hakama. G-Mode are as well, but I forgot about them because they mostly operate independently (including self-publishing), and they don't really develop many things (the upcoming Burgertime Party is the first notable thing they've developed in a while). Their main business seems to be licensing (they own most of the Data East rights).

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Anyway, digging deeper into it, I found Honey Parade are also a subsidiary of Marvelous, like Hakama. G-Mode are as well, but I forgot about them because they mostly operate independently (including self-publishing), and they don't really develop many things (the upcoming Burgertime Party is the first notable thing they've developed in a while). Their main business seems to be licensing (they own most of the Data East rights).
Thank you, that's what I thought reading about those studios months ago.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Thats okay for Daemon x Machina. Hopefully with good WoM, Switch legs and the Lite boost 100k can be reached in good time. Half of what I was hoping for though.

51k people are willing to spend $100 more for a bigger, more versatile console. If the pent up demand for a cheaper, smaller Switch really is as much as other portables then next week could be flirting with 300k.

Monster Hunter hitting 300k+ at retail so fast... I'm sure if we had PSN numbers as well we'd be looking at around 500k-600k.

Minecraft just accelerating to a million retail. Consider how long it was exclusive to eShop the number of people playing that game must be huge.

Looking at these charts is still fun and informative but increasingly they only tell part of the story. Nintendo actively funneling people to their digital store with vouchers, the flash sales on PS4... If publishers want to get people hyped with success of their game they'll just have to drop the numbers themselves.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, digging deeper into it, I found Honey Parade are also a subsidiary of Marvelous, like Hakama. G-Mode are as well, but I forgot about them because they mostly operate independently (including self-publishing), and they don't really develop many things (the upcoming Burgertime Party is the first notable thing they've developed in a while). Their main business seems to be licensing (they own most of the Data East rights).

Oh, I'm not sure if perhaps I've caused confusion. I was saying that Hakama and Honey Parade work with external developers(ie Inti-Creates for Dragon Marked for Death, TOSE for SoS, Tamsoft for Senran Kagura & that Jet Girls game), not that they are external developers.

I could be wrong though, it would be interesting to see who did the dev work on Rune Factory 4 Special(is that the name?)

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I know we saw some pictures of retailers warnings of Switch Lite shortages - is that still true with a 150k -200k shipment? Would be a huge launch if so.
Lite comes with a 10k price cut and despite the removed features it's not a cheap redesign like 2DS. With 3 colors launching simultaunesly and aiming for first time at multiple consoles per house it's not an extraordinary number when the new models had a week close to 100k just some time ago.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm not sure if perhaps I've caused confusion. I was saying that Hakama and Honey Parade work with external developers(ie Inti-Creates for Dragon Marked for Death, TOSE for SoS, Tamsoft for Senran Kagura & that Jet Girls game), not that they are external developers.

I could be wrong though, it would be interesting to see who did the dev work on Rune Factory 4 Special(is that the name?)
Ah. Honey Parade is a production company, so they contract companies to develop for them (although I think they made a game or two themselves? Don't really follow them). It's hard to prove whether TOSE really was involved in SoS games, but they're definitely produced by Marvelous themselves. Hakama helped with DMfD's production, but in contrast to HP, this was for Inti Creates, not the other way around.
Rune Factory 4 Special is entirely Hakama.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a real possibility that Switch does not have any sub 100k weeks for the rest of the year? I guess barring stock issues?

Or an I jumping the gun a bit?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say jumping the gun when we don't even know how the Lite does it's first week

Yeah I guess. I just feel like the demand since the new Switch launched has been around 50-70k with few new releases, and I expect the Switch Lite to be about 50% or more of total Switch sales. With the upcoming stretch of releases I think it could be a real possibility.

But yeah maybe we should see how the Lite actually does in its first few weeks.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Lite comes with a 10k price cut and despite the removed features it's not a cheap redesign like 2DS. With 3 colors launching simultaunesly and aiming for first time at multiple consoles per house it's not an extraordinary number when the new models had a week close to 100k just some time ago.
To be fair who expected a launch quite that big for the OG Switch 2.0. I was expecting around 50k for the first week. I didnt anticipate demand to be this huge for the 2.0. I previously expected the baseline would settle around 40k before the launch of Switch Lite. Nintendo could have a 200k+ week but it depends on supply.
Hardware bumps take some time to affect software but since this will be a big bump, without the huge software release that will take all air, evergreens should have sizable increases immediately.
I'm curious if there is any particular software that you see benefitting more from the Switch Lite audience than other evergreens? I could see Fire Emblem getting a larger initial boost as it has spent the past 20 years as a predominantly handheld franchise. However, optimistically I'm hoping Fire Emblem can hang on the charts until the year's end. I could also see Mario Maker 2 getting a big increase in sales that last with long term legs. I could see boost for Pokemon LGP/LGE until Sw/Sh releases. Outside of that, I'm unsure. I expect Smash, Kart, Odyssey, Party and BotW to keep their current software sales attach rate in proportion to sales of the platform per week. I'm unsure about Splatoon 2, it could perform well but I dont think the Lite revision really suits the style of game. Arms, 1, 2 Switch and Xenoblade I dont see getting anything significant.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah. Honey Parade is a production company, so they contract companies to develop for them (although I think they made a game or two themselves? Don't really follow them). It's hard to prove whether TOSE really was involved in SoS games, but they're definitely produced by Marvelous themselves. Hakama helped with DMfD's production, but in contrast to HP, this was for Inti Creates, not the other way around.
Rune Factory 4 special is entirely Hakama.

Interesting.

Great avatar by the way. Good to see some 4HoL rep.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Daemon x Machina is a complete bomb. No matter our expectations, 28k in Japan means worldwide numbers are far below 100k. Sales in North America and Europe look almost zero. Even with some legs, it's not likely to make a competitive profit, Considering the development time spent on the project.

Ports to other platforms will not save this game.