• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Really enjoyed the analyses shown concerning Labyrinth of Refrain. Very interesting to see the game flop so hard on the Switch in Japan (thanks to being a very late port already on two other consoles), yet destroy the PS4 version here in the U.S. if Anyhawk is to be believed. It surprises me how the demographics are really different in Japan and the West. Sales in the West gives me the idea that there's a little bit of an Eastern/Western developer divide between the Switch and the PS4/Xbox One, with Switch gamers favoring Japanese, smaller budget and/or indie games while PS4/Xbox One gamers mainly favor Western and/or AAA games. In Japan, I observe that the PS4 is intended as the hardcore gamer's choice (with both Japanese and Western games) while the Switch is more general, family-friendly audience. Wasn't it said that the statistics in Japan show that a plurality or majority of Switch owners are younger boys?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Really enjoyed the analyses shown concerning Labyrinth of Refrain. Very interesting to see the game flop so hard on the Switch in Japan (thanks to being a very late port already on two other consoles), yet destroy the PS4 version here in the U.S. if Anyhawk is to be believed. It surprises me how the demographics are really different in Japan and the West. Sales in the West gives me the idea that there's a little bit of an Eastern/Western developer divide between the Switch and the PS4/Xbox One, with Switch gamers favoring Japanese, smaller budget and/or indie games while PS4/Xbox One gamers mainly favor Western and/or AAA games. In Japan, I observe that the PS4 is intended as the hardcore gamer's choice (with both Japanese and Western games) while the Switch is more general, family-friendly audience. Wasn't it said that the statistics in Japan show that a plurality or majority of Switch owners are younger boys?
You have to keep in mind that in Japan, there wasn't an audience built for NIS games on Switch like in the West. Late ports count for niche games.
Vita gamers transitioned to Switch in the West, but devs are reticent to do the same in Japan (cf NIS, Senran Kagura, etc).

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the statistic he's talking about:

But yeah, Switch is getting mostly a different audience from the PS4. The overlap happens way more in the west, the division between Sony and Nintendo platforms seems to be a bigger thing in Japan considering how PS and Nintendo systems get different "exclusives" there for like a decade (and how the PS brand shrinked, making many franchises niche to the general console audience -- that shrinked in general as well).

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
But yeah, Switch is getting mostly a different audience from the PS4. The overlap happens way more in the west, the division between Sony and Nintendo platforms seems to be a bigger thing in Japan considering how PS and Nintendo systems get different "exclusives" there for like a decade (and how the PS brand shrinked, making many franchises niche to the general console audience -- that shrinked in general as well).

I still think you're over extrapolating based on one weeks sales of 1-2 games. If the demographics are so different, why are other NIS games selling on par or more on Switch? That's about as niche as you can get.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
I still think you're over extrapolating based on one weeks sales of 1-2 games. If the demographics are so different, why are other NIS games selling on par or more on Switch? That's about as niche as you can get.
because the demographics of "The Princess Guide" or "The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince" are unknown.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to put yourself in a Japanese audience mindset, because in the west it was a natural thing to see the Switch as the perfect console to play mid tier Japanese games (and indies). But in Japan it's still a Nintendo console, when really it should also be seen as a better Vita. But that audience isn't coming, not yet at least. Maybe everyone thinks like the Senran Kagura producer there.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to put yourself in a Japanese audience mindset, because in the west it was a natural thing to see the Switch as the perfect console to play mid tier Japanese games (and indies). But in Japan it's still a Nintendo console, when really it should also be seen as a better Vita. But that audience isn't coming, not yet at least. Maybe everyone thinks like the Senran Kagura producer there.
The Senran Kagura producer is talking Xbox, so that might not be the case lol.

I don't think developers have done a good job of transitioning the audience in Japan. Labrynth of Refrain for example is a two year old game(that also got a PS4 release last year) that was clearly ported for the western release where it's a brand new title. Vita players aren't going to rebuy the game. Another thing is that a lot of these franchises are seem to be hemorrhaging fans.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most PS4/Vita to Switch ports sold more in the end on Switch than on other platforms anyway.

I think even Fifa18 sold more on Switch? Despite relatively low launch numbers. So it will be probably the same for Fifa19.

Regarding Orochi games. There has been like 6 or 7 games of this kind since launch for Switch, including 2 exclusives that was even more high profile ones than OW4, perhaps the market is satured for now.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Senran Kagura producer is talking Xbox, so that might not be the case lol.
I think they mean the thing about not taking the Switch seriously as a viable option for their games/wishing for a Vita 2 or something weird like that.

ReBurst didn't sell big numbers on PS4, Senran Kagura New Link bombed hard on mobile and the awful tech demo that is Reflexions on Switch actually did well, but still SK Seven won't be on Switch.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think they mean the thing about not taking the Switch seriously as a viable option for their games/wishing for a Vita 2 or something weird like that.

ReBurst didn't sell big numbers on PS4, Senran Kagura New Link bombed hard on mobile and the awful tech demo that is Reflexions on Switch actually did well, but still SK Seven won't be on Switch.
On top of reflections doing well in Japan,it was like in the top 30 in the U.S eshop for like, what, 2-3 weeks? Lol

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Senran Kagura got a boost because of the anime and SV launching at the same time as the Vita revision, but that seems to have died down. We'll see what happens with Seven and where the series goes after that.

At this point I would say it's weird for Japanese devs to not take the Switch seriously because it's still giving them a chunk of additional sales that they wouldn't see otherwise and then you have the sales in the west.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I can't think of any developer besides Capcom not taking the Switch seriously at the moment. even Bamco released like 10 game the other day.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create has given demographics for Switch in Japan and this limited sample survey is not very close to reality.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I can't think of any developer besides Capcom not taking the Switch seriously at the moment. even Bamco released like 10 game the other day.

Konami. They should make use of their other Hudson IP. A Momotaro Dentetsu on Switch would sell very well. Winning Eleven seems to make sense after how Fifa did (and I would love another WE made like the Wii versions). Or even just a collection of old PC-Engine platformers and shooters.

Atlus. I know they have SMT5 on the way, but that's the only thing they have mentioned so far and it still seems a long way off. Persona 5 Golden, Catherine Port (it's even coming to the Vita!), etc. Are low effort projects that could have a high return.

Spike Chunsoft: Only Steins Gate remake I think. But nearly their entire catalog could be on the Switch with no compromises. The big one for me is 428. I was sure when the PS4 version was announced it would be Switch as well. 428 is a game that not only started on a Nintendo Platform (Wii) but it has been ported to EVERYTHING except Switch.

Off the top pf my head.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Konami. They should make use of their other Hudson IP. A Momotaro Dentetsu on Switch would sell very well. Winning Eleven seems to make sense after how Fifa did (and I would love another WE made like the Wii versions). Or even just a collection of old PC-Engine platformers and shooters.

Atlus. I know they have SMT5 on the way, but that's the only thing they have mentioned so far and it still seems a long way off. Persona 5 Golden, Catherine Port (it's even coming to the Vita!), etc. Are low effort projects that could have a high return.

Spike Chunsoft: Only Steins Gate remake I think. But nearly their entire catalog could be on the Switch with no compromises. The big one for me is 428. I was sure when the PS4 version was announced it would be Switch as well. 428 is a game that not only started on a Nintendo Platform (Wii) but it has been ported to EVERYTHING except Switch.

Off the top pf my head.

I wasn't even thinking about Konami. They probably could do more for Switch, and I will always take more Hudson stuff (which was the better company). They are at their own pace. I'm sure when Nintendo has some spare hands they will give us Momotaro and slap the Konami label on it so everyone is happy.

Atlus is going to Atlus. Thought they might change a bit after the acquisition, but I seem to have been wrong.

Spike chunsoft should get in gear though. They could get everything out and it doesn't really matter what the season is. Just the sooner the better.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Steins;Gate is actually a 5pb brand.

After Capcom, Konami, Marvelous and Spike Sunsoft are the notable absents on Switch.

Atlus has a history of avoiding multi platform development, I wouldn't put them at the same group yet.

Oct 26, 2017

Off the top pf my head.

As said above, Marvelous should be in this pile as well.

Daemon X Machina shouldn't be all, but it pretty much is.

This is a company that was famous for their outstanding Nintendo support pre-8th gen. I think Yasuhiro Wada and Yoshiro Kimura's departure (plus the pseudo split between MMV and Grasshopper) caused this jarring distance between MMV and Nintendo systems. The catalyst seems to also be the promoting(?) of Kenichiro Takaki, likely once Shinovi Versus blew up in Japan due to the perfect timing of it.

Yoshifumi Hashimoto is literally the only one keeping Nintendo in MMV's thoughts with Story of Seasons and whatever else he does. Probably the last of the old guard from their peak Nintendo support. Now he's formed his own division ala Takaki's Honey Parade Games called Hakama, and sure enough, his first game there is Dragon Marked for Death, a Switch-exclusive (and still has MMV's credited involvement).

They have MANY games they could easily remaster on Switch. On Wii alone:

Little King's Story (already ported to PC by SIMS)
Rune Factory Frontier and Tide of Destiny
Muramasa: The Demon Blade/Rebirth
Arc Rise Fantasia
No More Heroes 1 and 2 (Suda himself is pushing for this)

And a GC classic: Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life, still to this day the highest selling entry in the west I think Natsume confirmed.

Obviously the closure of Neverland and Imageepoch puts some of the above into question, but aren't impossible.

It's also telling that Wada at Toy Box has been semi-productive on Switch, with:

Happy Birthdays
Little Dragon's Cafe
World End Syndrome

Actually he now has more retail games than what MMV have put out to date ironically (MMV did publish LDC in Japan, but it's an Aksys-commissioned game).

Also minor correction; Spike Chunsoft are only localizing 5pb's games. The main JP team has done NOTHING on Switch to date. It's mind-boggling.

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017

I really REALLY want 428 on Switch, but sadly Spike doesn't looks like is interested on the system. I remember when they announced that AI: The Somnium Files was coming to Switch, they basically presented it like "Yeah, we are putting it on the console so you stop bothering".

Oct 26, 2017
I really REALLY want 428 on Switch, but sadly Spike doesn't looks like is interested on the system. I remember when they announced that AI: The Somnium Files was coming to Switch, they basically presented it like "Yeah, we are putting it on the console so you stop bothering".

Totally forgot that even existed.

Fun fact; the Switch version announcement by far had the best and loudest reception, at least platform-wise at the reveal:

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Steins;Gate is actually a 5pb brand.

After Capcom, Konami, Marvelous and Spike Sunsoft are the notable absents on Switch.

Atlus has a history of avoiding multi platform development, I wouldn't put them at the same group yet.

Oh yeah. And 5pb has been good on the system. They had the Phantom Breaker port early on.

And I see what you mean about Atlus, they are like Falcom (who needed NIS to port Ys), they pick a platform and stick to it.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah. And 5pb has been good on the system. They had the Phantom Breaker port early on.

And I see what you mean about Atlus, they are like Falcom (who needed NIS to port Ys), they pick a platform and stick to it.
It's more of Atlus having multiple studios delicated to different platforms.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus so far has followed a strategy of giving difference software line ups to big two.

If next big game announcement is still platform specific to Sony or Nintendo we'll know this strategy won't change neither at this generation. It's very old fashioned since there's big audience overlap for their games but they seem to prefer it.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never noticed that Senran Kagura got delayed from Fall 2018 to a tba date.
The pinball one? Was it slated for this year even?

I wasn't even thinking about Konami. They probably could do more for Switch, and I will always take more Hudson stuff (which was the better company). They are at their own pace. I'm sure when Nintendo has some spare hands they will give us Momotaro and slap the Konami label on it so everyone is happy.

Atlus is going to Atlus. Thought they might change a bit after the acquisition, but I seem to have been wrong.

Spike chunsoft should get in gear though. They could get everything out and it doesn't really matter what the season is. Just the sooner the better.
Konami I wasn't even criticizing before because their focus is not consoles, but the fact that they accepted the whole PS4 exclusivity Castlevania thing makes them look dumb. They could instead just make their own collection and have it for both systems. Bandai Namco is already eating their lunch with Billion Road basically being Not-MomoTetsu (literally every video reaction I watched called it MomoTetsu, lol -- wonder how much it will sell).

Atlus will keep being Atlus and making exclusive titles, but the fact that they only had SMTV for a very late date looks pretty bad after their 3DS support. I guess they expected this thing to bomb or not be a true Nintendo portable, but not even ports announcements is kinda telling. By far my biggest disappointment with the Switch and I wonder how much Hashino's influence and Persona 5 sales may be the reason for their weak Nintendo support.

Spike Chunsoft is weird. No idea why they haven't supported it much as well.

These + Capcom and Marvelous already make 5. So I think it's kind of significant to highlight this lack of support. I mean, a lot of people predicted stuff like MonHun clones to fill the gap like happened with the Vita, but there's not even this for now, which is super weird.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Konami I wasn't even criticizing before because their focus is not consoles, but the fact that they accepted the whole PS4 exclusivity Castlevania thing makes them look dumb. They could instead just make their own collection and have it for both systems. Bandai Namco is already eating their lunch with Billion Road basically being Not-MomoTetsu (literally every video reaction I watched called it MomoTetsu, lol -- wonder how much it will sell).

Atlus will keep being Atlus and making exclusive titles, but the fact that they only had SMTV for a very late date looks pretty bad after their 3DS support. I guess they expected this thing to bomb or not be a true Nintendo portable, but not even ports announcements is kinda telling. By far my biggest disappointment with the Switch and I wonder how much Hashino's influence and Persona 5 sales may be the reason for their weak Nintendo support.

Spike Chunsoft is weird. No idea why they haven't supported it much as well.

These + Capcom and Marvelous already make 5. So I think it's kind of significant to highlight this lack of support. I mean, a lot of people predicted stuff like MonHun clones to fill the gap like happened with the Vita, but there's not even this for now, which is super weird.
Seven. It was supposed to come out in the fall, it now the developers are saying they aren't comfortable giving a timeframe.

Atlus is just slow to move on to new platforms, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

Senran Kagura 7 (I presume). Game seems to be in a bit of development hell since they apparently had to start from scratch (at least, that's what I remember them saying during the livestream in August).

Peach Ball Senran Kagura is out on December 13th, at retail to boot (there's even a special edition with Reflexions included).

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The real reason as to why Atlus has only two (including the next Etrian Odyssey because we all know its for Switch) titles in development compared to 3DS is due to the massively higher development costs compared to the billion of games they released on 3DS. They can't just port DS games with a wider aspect ratio like they did on 3DS, and going by how SMTV looks they seemingly don't want bad looking games. That's the same reason why there's so few Atlus games on PS4 either, compared to say PS2. Atlus isn't that big of a company.

Going back to the rest of your post, saying that there are five significant company lacking support seems disingenuous to me. Konami isn't a major actor anymore, not even an average one. Same for Marvelous and even they are still bringing some exclusives like Daemon x Machina.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seven. It was supposed to come out in the fall, it now the developers are saying they aren't comfortable giving a timeframe.
Ah ok. I don't remember people expecting it this year and they had their Senran Kagura event with like only 1 model for Seven. It won't release anytime soon.

The real reason as to why Atlus has only two (including the next Etrian Odyssey because we all know its for Switch) titles in development compared to 3DS is due to the massively higher development costs compared to the billion of games they released on 3DS. They can't just port DS games with a wider aspect ratio like they did on 3DS, and going by how SMTV looks they seemingly don't want bad looking games. That's the same reason why there's so few Atlus games on PS4 either, compared to say PS2. Atlus isn't that big of a company.
I mean, the only thing they have for PS is basically Persona and Catherine? Now that new Hashino game. There's at least a few announcements for it. And the difference is that they were getting great results on Nintendo systems and followed it with nothing. If the reason is "they don't want cheap looking games on Switch" for some of these poor decisions made by japanese third parties, I think they're greatly misreading the market considering how much AA and indie games sell on Switch -- I think doing what they did on DS and 3DS would do very well on Switch, not everything needs to be a high budget project and this lack of variety is bad for a company like Atlus.

Going back to the rest of your post, saying that there are five significant company lacking support seems disingenuous to me. Konami isn't a major actor anymore, not even an average one. Same for Marvelous and even they are still bringing some exclusives like Daemon x Machina.
Well, Konami still has PES, PowaPro and a few console releases like MG Survive, the Castlevania bundle, etc. I think these are relevant enough. Marvelous I can't see how it's not a disappointment, Daemon x Machina only exists because Nintendo is funding it.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Ah ok. I don't remember people expecting it this year and they had their Senran Kagura event with like only 1 model for Seven. It won't release anytime soon.

I mean, the only thing they have for PS is basically Persona and Catherine? Now that new Hashino game. There's at least a few announcements for it. And the difference is that they were getting great results on Nintendo systems and followed it with nothing. If the reason is "they don't want cheap looking games on Switch" for some of these poor decisions made by japanese third parties, I think they're greatly misreading the market considering how much AA and indie games sell on Switch -- I think doing what they did on DS and 3DS would do very well on Switch, not everything needs to be a high budget project and this lack of variety is bad for a company like Atlus.

Well, Konami still has PES, PowaPro and a few console releases like MG Survive, the Castlevania bundle, etc. I think these are relevant enough. Marvelous I can't see how it's not a disappointment, Daemon x Machina only exists because Nintendo is funding it.
The reason isn't about about them not wanting cheap looking game on switch, but rather the outputs and development cost of hd games are higher than games made for a 240p console

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason isn't about about them not wanting cheap looking game on switch, but rather the outputs and development cost of hd games are higher than games made for a 240p console
I'm aware of that, but 0 games in 2 years means they didn't plan anything else Switch besides SMTV before 2018 -- it will take at best until late 2019 for the first Atlus game to release for it. Like I said, not all games need to be high budget.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom is in a weird situation where they're both missing and...not missing on Switch. I mean, when you look at their release slate, you can clearly see there's been a major increase of release from them, including multiplatform efforts. On the other hand, Capcom is heavily into re-releasing their backcatalog alongside major releases, and the Switch is not getting titles such as MHW, DMC5 or RE2. I'd still consider them not nearly as absent as the others mentioned earlier.

Atlus is...still in the wait and see phase, since they can be so slow with transitions to new systems. At least, SMTV is in development, it's a big effort from them.

Right now, I'd consider more on the "absent" field Marvelous, Konami and Spike Chunsoft.

Marvelous as the "best one", since they have stuff coming to the system, including an exclusive like Daemon x Machina and the Japanese release of Little Dragon's Cafe, but also the main Senran Kagura games missing, Fate / Extella Link not releasing alongside PS4 / Vita SKU in spite of the late port of its prequel. Plus, since they said a while ago that they were interested in bringing both new and old games to the system, I still wonder when they may start releasing older titles such at NMH1+2 (Suda already said discussions are happening, to be honest). Actually, surprisingly enough so far we've almost only seen new titles announced for Switch, and not older ones, now that I think about it XD
Anyways, I can see Link coming to Switch next year as another late port including all DLCs (similar to the original F/E's release), and it may finally be the time Story of Seasons gets an official announcement. It could also make sense in terms of development time: the franchise saw bi-annual releases on 3DS (A New Beginning in 2012, Linking the New World in 2014, Trio of Towns in 2016), and the two-years cycle becoming a three-years cycle due to the hardware difference makes sense, in theory.

Konami and Spike Chunsoft's absence is more baffling, even if for different reasons.

Konami has yet to catch on potential other classic returns, similar to Super Bomberman R (still getting supported to this day) and their sport titles are missing the system or still releasing even on Vita. It's a strange mix of nonsense and lack of interest in the console market. All the Castlevania content in Smash Bros. is great, but the way they handheld the Castlevania collection (which is basically SIE doing the grunt job) shows that they don't care to put a bigger effort to legitimately work on a multiplatform (and beefer) collection. Similarly, I feel the lack of PES on Switch is mainly due to a complete lack of will to try to make the brand bigger: they lost the Uefa's Champions League license, and sales keep on going down WW, so they probably think investing in an additional SKU is useless for a game in a franchise they clearly don't believe in anymore on the console side. Which makes it more baffling how baseball titles are missing the system: Konami is much more involved with Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (including the recent eSport league's establishment), and they're bringing back the Spirits brand on console for the first time since 2015.

Spike Chunsoft is even more no-sensical, they really seem to not care too much about the Switch for whatever reason, aside from publishing other developers' efforts. Heck, they're releasing Kenka Bancho Otome in 2019 just for Vita, in spite of the ongoing Otome transition to the Switch and the old age of the system, which would justify putting the game on PS4 as well, at the bare minimum.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Wonder if Spider-Man can slowly crawl to 300k on physical copies alone. I think that'd be a nice achievement, especially so when coupled with the digital sales (whatever those may be).

Also, hey, on the MC data the PS4 and Switch are almost exactly 2M apart in lifetime hardware sales! :D Probably as close as we can get to exact differences between hardwares hehe

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this means something for Switch, but Pes 2019 mobile version is the first Pes to use the Unreal Engine 4. That game is now in beta.
They announced and hinted few weeks ago that in couple of years Pes will abandon Fox Engine and embrace Unreal Engine 4. So, considering that Unreal Engine works good and it's easier to make it work on Switch, probably they are considering developing Pes games to Switch too.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Capcom is in a weird situation where they're both missing and...not missing on Switch. I mean, when you look at their release slate, you can clearly see there's been a major increase of release from them, including multiplatform efforts. On the other hand, Capcom is heavily into re-releasing their backcatalog alongside major releases, and the Switch is not getting titles such as MHW, DMC5 or RE2. I'd still consider them not nearly as absent as the others mentioned earlier.

I agree, i don't understand why people keep saying Capcom support for Nintendo Switch is bad when they are releasing pretty much every game that can run on Nintendo Switch, i'm pretty sure if Nintendo Switch was a little more powerful we will see RE2, DMC V and MHW on the platform as well. Onimusha is coming to Nintendo Switch, Mega Man 11 is available on Nintendo Switch, Ace Attorney as well and i think a new MH is coming to the Nintendo Switch in 2019.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 is the other HD system on the market so it is worth looking at the time Atlus took to put games on it.

Atlus first games on PS4 were Odin Sphere in January 2016 and Persona 5 in September 2016 (2 years and 2 years and a half after the system release) and they were cross-gen titles.

Atlus didn't release a single exclusive on PS4 yet. Their games were either cross-gens, PS4/PSV or both.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that high? Looks like it's slowing down a bit though. Is this taking the Holidays into account? I'd love to see it go that far! it's a great game, deserves all the love it can get!

I meant LTD sales, so looking a few months in the future. It sold 22k last week, and taking into account the future slowdown, 300k will be achieved in like 3 weeks probably.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 is the other HD system on the market so it is worth looking at the time Atlus took to put games on it.

Atlus first games on PS4 were Odin Sphere in January 2016 and Persona 5 in September 2016 (2 years and 2 years and a half after the system release) and they were cross-gen titles.

Atlus didn't release a single exclusive on PS4 yet. Their games were either cross-gens, PS4/PSV or both.
Yes, but there are a few differences. They didn't have several hits on PS3 and the PS4 was sold as a high-tech home console from the start, with western sales being great and japanese ones very mediocre. Switch is basically the new Nintendo portable following the great success of the 3DS and got decent japanese sales from the start, with a huge focus in smaller games having a home worldwide on the system (with hits like Bomberman R, Puyo Tetris, Disgaea 5 Complete) -- so my impression is that simply Atlus had nothing else planned for it besides SMTV, a title that I imagine Nintendo asked them for.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how relevant to the discussion is this, but in one of the Switch PRO threads, someone with inside info apparently said that Capcom helped nintendo not only with the internal specs, (as we already know), but with the OS of the console too.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont know how relevant to the discussion is this, but in one of the Switch PRO threads, someone with inside info apparently said that Capcom helped nintendo not only with the internal specs, (as we already know), but with the OS of the console too.

It's truly bizarre how seemingly involved Capcom was with the Switch pre-launch only for it then to take over a year for Mega Man games to release on the thing.

I'm so incredibly curious as to what happened exactly behind the scenes...

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's truly bizarre how seemingly involved Capcom was with the Switch pre-launch only for it then to take over a year for Mega Man games to release on the thing.

I'm so incredibly curious as to what happened exactly behind the scenes...

Yeah, could be false though. We will never know.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, could be false though. We will never know.
I believe it. If Capcom could get Nintendo to change the ram amount, they can probably get Nintendo to change/add some OS features

I don't know if this means something for Switch, but Pes 2019 mobile version is the first Pes to use the Unreal Engine 4. That game is now in beta.
They announced and hinted few weeks ago that in couple of years Pes will abandon Fox Engine and embrace Unreal Engine 4. So, considering that Unreal Engine works good and it's easier to make it work on Switch, probably they are considering developing Pes games to Switch too.
engine isn't the reason PES isn't on the Switch. I think Konami is gonna let PES slowly die

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but there are a few differences. They didn't have several hits on PS3 and the PS4 was sold as a high-tech home console from the start, with western sales being great and japanese ones very mediocre. Switch is basically the new Nintendo portable following the great success of the 3DS and got decent japanese sales from the start, with a huge focus in smaller games having a home worldwide on the system (with hits like Bomberman R, Puyo Tetris, Disgaea 5 Complete) -- so my impression is that simply Atlus had nothing else planned for it besides SMTV, a title that I imagine Nintendo asked them for.
Atlus did the same thing with the PS3 and to a lesser extent the 3DS. Atlus is making cheap sequels/remasters while EO6, SMT5, and probably Catherine 2 are in the works. The problem for the Switch though is that they can't just put 3DS games on the device and get away with it like they did with DS games on the 3DS.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm aware of that, but 0 games in 2 years means they didn't plan anything else Switch besides SMTV before 2018 -- it will take at best until late 2019 for the first Atlus game to release for it. Like I said, not all games need to be high budget.
Not all games needs to be high budget but what are you gonna do when even cheap hd games cost more than your 240p ports of nds games?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Even with these previous gen ports they all belong to B-C tier category. The big games are still missing 2 years in and the work of upgrading them to current gen is already done.