• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus did the same thing with the PS3 and to a lesser extent the 3DS. Atlus is making cheap sequels/remasters while EO6, SMT5, and probably Catherine 2 are in the works. The problem for the Switch though is that they can't just put 3DS games on the device and get away with it like they did with DS games on the 3DS.
I think it's pretty different like I said. PS3 barely had any third party support thanks to the difficulty in development because of the Cell thing and Kutaragi not caring nearly enough about third parties. Portable systems also existed and were viable for third parties that weren't aiming for high budget AAA experiences (that was exactly what the PS3 was promoting as its main focus).
Switch tho is the only new portable in the market, isn't aiming for the best graphics ever, isn't as hard to develop for as the PS3 was (it's weaker than the PS4, a system that Atlus was already developing for).

Not all games needs to be high budget but what are you gonna do when even cheap hd games cost more than your 240p ports of nds games?
There's a difference between "becoming harder to develop for" and releasing their first and only game at best in late 2019. If other companies can have smaller games for Switch so can Atlus. I think people vastly overestimate how "console-ish" a game has to look like on Switch to sell. If anything, it needs to start selling to the portable crowd (which is bigger than the home console public in Japan) and software like that can help.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It's truly bizarre how seemingly involved Capcom was with the Switch pre-launch only for it then to take over a year for Mega Man games to release on the thing.

I'm so incredibly curious as to what happened exactly behind the scenes...
Its possible that Capcom's involvement with the Switch design is a bit over estimated. I searched around now and apparently the request to increase the amount of RAM in the Switch, this was a request from several of developers, not just Capcom. I think Capcom is highlighted in this because this was said during a conference where both Nintendo and Capcom were holding a presentation together. Here the representative from Capcom said that they likely needed more RAM to get the new RE engine up and running on the Switch. This could have been a strong factor for Nintendo to listen, but it wasnt only Capcom who wanted more RAM. I guess we'll never know what would have happened if Capcom hadnt requested it, if Nintendo would have listened to all the other developers also requesting it.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
There's a difference between "becoming harder to develop for" and releasing their first and only game at best in late 2019. If other companies can have smaller games for Switch so can Atlus. I think people vastly overestimate how "console-ish" a game has to look like on Switch to sell. If anything, it needs to start selling to the portable crowd (which is bigger than the home console public in Japan) and software like that can help.
Ok, so I'm gonna ask you a question, which hd game outside of TMS have the 1st production made?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
You have to keep in mind that in Japan, there wasn't an audience built for NIS games on Switch like in the West. Late ports count for niche games.
Vita gamers transitioned to Switch in the West, but devs are reticent to do the same in Japan (cf NIS, Senran Kagura, etc).

PSV audience in US and Europe have been an insignificant niche and a good part of this niche even consists of "only Sony" diehard fans, so I really don't understand this argument. It really doesn't pull any wheight, when it comes to the Switch audience.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Index was strapped for cash, which was the reason they got sold off to begin with. One would think with the influx of Sega bux (and a seemingly inevitable absorption), Atlus could fix their dev staff issue. But I guess they simply don't want to grow. Wonder how long it will be before the big man on high tells them to spread their catalog around for increased revenue

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I'm gonna ask you a question, which hd game outside of TMS have the 1st production made?
You just listed 1. They just had no need to develop more.

And again, I'm not saying it's easy. But 1 game in 3 years is just a bad output for the system that is the successor of the 3DS. There's no excuse when other smaller companies are releasing more stuff and no one is asking only for AAA games. Not everything needs to be a 3rd person camera game with good gfx, make a 3DS-like game in HD and it can sell. Switch is not a PS4, it's still a portable system and smaller/AA games are selling well.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Capcom has fully integrated the Switch into his back catalog releases strategy, their output does look better. No DMC collection was annoying, but since then Onimusha happened, and the Beat Em Up collection (charting quite high on the eShop charts btw) so it seems like we're finally at a point where Switch will get everything from these kind of initiative. For the rest, it's just unfortunate timing: Capcom stategy is now to have heavy hitters that can rival with the best AAA in this industry, which leaves the Switch out by default. This stategy seems to be working wonders so it'll only continue. And on the other hand, they seem to have less and less smaller games to ship, as part of this strategy, so asides from the odd Megaman or Ace Attorney, the Switch won't be getting a lot of new stuff from Capcom. As I said, unfortunate timing.

Still, while it does look better, Capcom was one of Nintendo's oldest partner, with a lot of history between the two. Before the Switch came out, it wasn't crazy to think they would work with them on some exclusive titles, or at least let Nintendo publish some mid tier games for them, like Ubisoft has done with Mario + Rabbids, or Marvelous with Daemon X Machina. They did it with Sony with SFV after all. This is where Capcom output still falters. Having nothing to work with Nintendo is unfortunate.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Still, while it does look better, Capcom was one of Nintendo's oldest partner, with a lot of history between the two. Before the Switch came out, it wasn't crazy to think they would work with them on some exclusive titles, or at least let Nintendo publish some mid tier games for them, like Ubisoft has done with Mario + Rabbids, or Marvelous with Daemon X Machina. They did it with Sony with SFV after all. This is where Capcom output still falters. Having nothing to work with Nintendo is unfortunate.

Good post- I completely agree- Capcom is basically 1 or 2 AAA a fiscal year and ROM dumps/remasters. They have no real mid-tier strategy, which works to the detriment of the Switch.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now that Capcom has fully integrated the Switch into his back catalog releases strategy, their output does look better. No DMC collection was annoying, but since then Onimusha happened, and the Beat Em Up collection (charting quite high on the eShop charts btw) so it seems like we're finally at a point where Switch will get everything from these kind of initiative. For the rest, it's just unfortunate timing: Capcom stategy is now to have heavy hitters that can rival with the best AAA in this industry, which leaves the Switch out by default. This stategy seems to be working wonders so it'll only continue. And on the other hand, they seem to have less and less smaller games to ship, as part of this strategy, so asides from the odd Megaman or Ace Attorney, the Switch won't be getting a lot of new stuff from Capcom. As I said, unfortunate timing.

Indeed- whilst the new MH, RE and DMC games are out of the question and that's fine it is still very disappointing that there's no separate new game in those series announced for Switch as of yet- like a MH Portable that is not a 3DS game for example. And heck as you said there's no DMC collection or even RE 4/5/6/Remake still. Previous Nintendo handhelds got Capcom developed Zeldas, Ghost Trick and RE Revelations as well.

I do agree with you that things are getting better but boy there's still a long way to go.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
You just listed 1. They just had no need to develop more.

And again, I'm not saying it's easy. But 1 game in 3 years is just a bad output for the system that is the successor of the 3DS. There's no excuse when other smaller companies are releasing more stuff and no one is asking only for AAA games. Not everything needs to be a 3rd person camera game with good gfx, make a 3DS-like game in HD and it can sell. Switch is not a PS4, it's still a portable system and smaller/AA games are selling well.
You still haven't answered my question, and Do you know how many years it took them to develop TMS?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wouldn't be surprised if whatever Monster Hunter they have for the switch got canned at this point

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You still haven't answered my question, and Do you know how many years it took them to develop TMS?
Because your question is basically "I want you to reply with 1", even though you're ignoring completely that they had the 3DS as a focus and no need to develop more HD games.

TMS is a 3rd person camera game. I said several times they don't need to do that to release games for Switch. Square Enix sold 1m copies of a "HD game" that is just a bunch of SNES sprites and just this month they're releasing a HD remaster of a DS game. Can't Atlus do even that? They surely can release a lower budget smaller game like Octopath or remaster any of their DS/3DS stuff -- and these would probably have a good RoI. Switch is still a portable system, their output is very lackluster for a a Nintendo portable.

I really wouldn't be surprised if whatever Monster Hunter they have for the switch got canned at this point
Same. I don't think the portable line will exist anymore, maybe they'll rename it to something like "Monster Hunter spin-off/gaiden/etc" and do a multiplat release with Switch as one of the systems. Can't imagine any exclusivity after World and Switch isn't part of Capcom's AAA strategy.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

problem is: why the hell switch is off from aaa production? and, more important question, how is mhw an aaa game?

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Because your question is basically "I want you to reply with 1", even though you're ignoring completely that they had the 3DS as a focus and no need to develop more HD games.

TMS is a 3rd person camera game. I said several times they don't need to do that to release games for Switch. Square Enix sold 1m copies of a "HD game" that is just a bunch of SNES sprites and just this month they're releasing a HD remaster of a DS game. Can't Atlus do even that? They surely can release a lower budget smaller game like Octopath or remaster any of their DS/3DS stuff -- and these would probably have a good RoI. Switch is still a portable system, their output is very lackluster for a a Nintendo portable.
This proved that you don't understand the situation at all. Just look at what BD6 was compared to first production, remember that octopath was in production before BD11 was a thing, and guess what, BD6 was a studio that was capable of producing and releasing HD games, and with what you said, do you really think that making HD games is just putting snes sprites on 16:9 then release it? do you understand that TWEWY is a rerelease of the mobile version with different controls that was in the market years ago? And you even ignored how many years did it take to produce TMS, ignored that it was the studio's first HD game and it would take them time to transitions to hd. Oh, and since you are so obsessed about those AA games with the mind set that they are easy and fast to make, why haven't I seen 13 Sentinels yet, shouldn't it be easy to make to make since it's just a bunch of 2d sprites running around in HD, just like those games that NIS drop out every month?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This proved that you don't understand the situation at all. Just look at what BD6 was compared to first production, remember that octopath was in production before BD11 was a thing, and guess what, BD6 was a studio that was capable of producing and releasing HD games, and with what you said, do you really think that making HD games is just putting snes sprites on 16:9 and releasing at? do you understand that TWEWY is a rerelease of the mobile version with different controls that was in the market years ago? And you even ignored how many years did it take to produce TMS, ignored that it was the studio's first HD game and it would take them time to transitions to hd. Oh, and since you are so obsessed about those AA games with the mind set that they are easy and fast to make, why haven't I seen 13 Sentinels yet, shouldn't it be easy to make to make since it's just a bunch of 2d sprites running around in HD, just like those games that NIS drop out every month?
And you're completely unwilling to listen to a different point of view considering I said several times that I'm not saying it's easy to do games (yet you keep replying like this was my point), but that 1 game in 3 years is poor output when even other smaller companies will have more than that.

Your point of reference is an ambitious project for Atlus during a time that they had no need to do HD development. I'm talking about smaller sized projects that NEED to exist as the company can't just keep making big third person projects and their portable output has to go somewhere as the 3DS fades away.

Oct 25, 2017
Catridge costs, lack of power, not similar enough to the other consoles and PC. I think that's it really.
I still find it weird they never ported RE7 which in turn prevents REmake2 and DMC from being possible.
RE7 is around 20GB, so it's not huge.

It doesn't seem to be a demanding game if it can run on console VR. Releasing with the gold edition in late 2017 probably would've done pretty well.

Seems like they're refusing to add switch to The pipeline outside of stuff like megaman which is pretty low budget

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
PSV audience in US and Europe have been an insignificant niche and a good part of this niche even consists of "only Sony" diehard fans, so I really don't understand this argument. It really doesn't pull any wheight, when it comes to the Switch audience.
We were talking about niche games. Unless you're telling me NIS games aren't followed by a specific userbase/fanbase in general?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Development times have risen, while most Japanese IPs have either stagnated or saw decline (most obvious example - Musou games). For higher output, Japanese publishers would need to expand developers count by a significant amount, which obviously is viewed as too risky and most Japanese publishers and studios can't afford to. SquareEnix can and they established new divisions and studios, Capcom is also hiring mostly new graduates, but at the same time shut down their Vancouver Studio and their former mobile Division was a disaster that needed to be restructured. Konami simply has other business priorities than oldschool console gaming and Bandai is already very prolific. Most of the others are too small and can hardly justify significant expansions.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
It has been a very disappointing year in the japanese charts yo be honest. Can't wait to see Pokemon bringing some life in it. I mean since Monster Hunter World it had been very slow to say the least.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ah yes, the switch has been such a failure after all
it's not about being a failure, it's more about Capcom. they moved onto a multiplatform and western focused strategy, and as such, large budget Switch exclusive games don't make sense to them. now that they know they don't have to rely on Japan for MH sales, a JP-focused game that isn't budget like Mega Man might not be worth it to them. and then, with their multiplatform focus, why would they put this game on other systems when they already got World?

unless Nintendo foots the bill for the game in the west, I can't see too much value in it for capcom. maybe they'll make a digital only release.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
We were talking about niche games. Unless you're telling me NIS games aren't followed by a specific userbase/fanbase in general?

As most of these games already were on PSV, it would mean the former PSV audience that supposedly now is on Switch either ignored the games on PSV or double dipped on Switch. Sorry, these are really unlikely scenarios in my opinion. Game sales so far most likely have an insignificant amount of overlap in audiences so far.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
it's not about being a failure, it's more about Capcom. they moved onto a multiplatform and western focused strategy, and as such, large budget Switch exclusive games don't make sense to them. now that they know they don't have to rely on Japan for MH sales, a JP-focused game that isn't budget like Mega Man might not be worth it to them. and then, with their multiplatform focus, why would they put this game on other systems when they already got World?

unless Nintendo foots the bill for the game in the west, I can't see too much value in it for capcom. maybe they'll make a digital only release.

Your post assumed Capcom was developing a Switch Monster Hunter game. There is absolutely zero logical they would can it now.

I agree that if they never had one in the works, they might not start now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your post assumed Capcom was developing a Switch Monster Hunter game. There is absolutely zero logical they would can it now.

I agree that if they never had one in the works, they might not start now.
never said the thought was logical in the first place. I just said it wouldn't surprise me if they did

Oct 26, 2017
If Capcom is developing a Monster Hunter Switch game, then they should probably release it on PS4 and PC and Xbox also.

Unless it's just Monster Hunter World re-arranged.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
If Capcom is developing a Monster Hunter Switch game, then they should probably release it on PS4 and PC and Xbox also.

If such a game is being developed, while personally I don't care where else it's released, from a business point of view I'm not at all sure you're right. Imagine a new MH for Switch that, for example, still has loading screens between areas. Do you think it would be smart to offer that game to the new audience whose first game was MHW, or even to old timers that were ecstatic about the "seamless" areas? There is a risk that this might alienate some of these people from the franchise imo. (personally I am fine with the loading screens, this is just an example)

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Of course Capcom is going to attempt to release a Monster Hunter game on the switch.

The existence of the cloud version of RE7, while not ideal, probably signals that Capcom wants to release the latest RE games on the Switch, but can't seem to or doesn't believe that it can get them to run (well) on the platform. I have a hard time believing there was ever a possibility that RE2make was going to happen on the platform.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
If such a game is being developed, while personally I don't care where else it's released, from a business point of view I'm not at all sure you're right. Imagine a new MH for Switch that, for example, still has loading screens between areas. Do you think it would be smart to offer that game to the new audience whose first game was MHW, or even to old timers that were ecstatic about the "seamless" areas? There is a risk that this might alienate some of these people from the franchise imo. (personally I am fine with the loading screens, this is just an example)
Why would that be the case, though? Not that I think that Capcom has a MH Switch under development. Maybe a Stories like spin-off.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
MHW is going to sell 15M+ when all is said and done, this is getting bigger than what any of us ever imagined. It might have made sense to keep the Portable line alive before but now... If I was Capcom I would put all my resources into making sure MHW 2 will be huge and more importantly will be a service game that will keep updating at a quick pace.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What Switch should be is a successor to 3DS, Vita and WiiU. The reality is Switch has been outsold by 3DS launch aligned, let alone combining Vita and WiiU. PS4 is also down from PS3. We will see more decisions made by Japanese companies that focus on western market.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
MHW is going to sell 15M+ when all is said and done, this is getting bigger than what any of us ever imagined. It might have made sense to keep the Portable line alive before but now... If I was Capcom I would put all my resources into making sure MHW 2 will be huge and more importantly will be a service game that will keep updating at a quick pace.
You can do that AND make a MH for Switch based on MHW assets, it's not like the 2 are mutually exclusive. That way, you can maximise the sales in both the West and Japan

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

there-in lies the problem however. whatever the next game is will be derivative of the World formula. and on other systems, why should it get bought over World? the only way to make it sellable is to make it different enough, and I don't mean reverting to the old formula.

Oct 26, 2017
What Switch should be is a successor to 3DS, Vita and WiiU. The reality is Switch has been outsold by 3DS launch aligned, let alone combining Vita and WiiU. PS4 is also down from PS3. We will see more decisions made by Japanese companies that focus on western market.

This focus on only the Japanese demand side seems bizarre. What's more important is that in America and Europe, any AAA game that is open world or multiplayer and fairly good and has a brand will sell like 8m+ units these days. FF15 is not even well liked and will be the second best selling game in the series because of how well every AAA game sells in America and Europe these days.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This focus on only the Japanese demand side seems bizarre. What's more important is that in America and Europe, any AAA game that is open world or multiplayer and fairly good and has a brand will sell like 8m+ units these days. FF15 is not even well liked and will be the second best selling game in the series because of how well every AAA game sells in America and Europe these days.
AAA games are too expensive to make. But AA games, even niche games sell better in the west too. Look at Ni no Kuni 2, we all laughed at it when the Japanese result came out, yet globally it's a great success.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

3DS is the third best selling console/handheld ever in Japan. PS3 was Sonys worst selling console/handheld before PSV.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Why would that be the case, though? Not that I think that Capcom has a MH Switch under development. Maybe a Stories like spin-off.
Not sure what you are asking - why Capcom would do a game that has some of the old games features, or why it would not be good to offer it to MHW players?

Stories like spin-off (unless very cheap) doesn't make any business sense. Nothing indicates such a game has a reasonable chance of succeeding.

Using that same logic it doesn't make sense for Capcom to continue with any of their franchises except MH. :-)
A new portable MH has the sales potential of 4 million in Japan and 1 million in the West (I am probably underestimating the Western sales potential). This is not something you just put under the rug and move on, unless it actually seriously takes resources away from MHW2.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Again this a viewpoint that simply focus on units sold while ignoring everything else. Noone reasonable should be expecting the switch to be selling at the rate or higher than a highly popular market leading device that was almost 3 times cheaper at this point in time. Implying such simply undermines your arguement. Consumer spending wise both in hardware and software the switch is surpassing the 3DS. That's a far more reasonable comparison point.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
3DS is the third best selling console/handheld ever in Japan. PS3 was Sonys worst selling console/handheld before PSV.
Your point being?

Again this a viewpoint that simply focus on units sold while ignoring everything else. Noone reasonable should be expecting the switch to be selling at the rate or higher than a highly popular market leading device that was almost 3 times cheaper at this point in time. Implying such simply undermines your arguement. Consumer spending wise both in hardware and software the switch is surpassing the 3DS. That's a far more reasonable comparison point.
Fewer people spending more is still not a healthy market. Especially comparing to other markets where units sold and money spent grow simultaneously.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case someone could probably make good money in Japan making a Monster Hunter-like game for Switch if Capcom isn't interested in serving that market any more.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have successfully steered Media Create onto a monster hunter discussion

cab.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what you are asking - why Capcom would do a game that has some of the old games features, or why it would not be good to offer it to MHW players?

Stories like spin-off (unless very cheap) doesn't make any business sense. Nothing indicates such a game has a reasonable chance of succeeding.

Using that same logic it doesn't make sense for Capcom to continue with any of their franchises except MH. :-)
A new portable MH has the sales potential of 4 million in Japan and 1 million in the West (I am probably underestimating the Western sales potential). This is not something you just put under the rug and move on, unless it actually seriously takes resources away from MHW2.

I think Capcom focusing all of their Monster Hunter resources on making either Monster Hunter World or Monster Hunter World DLC makes more sense than making a Switch exclusive game. Capcom obviously didn't have enough resources dedicated to MHW which is why the DLC content was so limited compared to every other AAA game like it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Its possible that Capcom's involvement with the Switch design is a bit over estimated. I searched around now and apparently the request to increase the amount of RAM in the Switch, this was a request from several of developers, not just Capcom. I think Capcom is highlighted in this because this was said during a conference where both Nintendo and Capcom were holding a presentation together. Here the representative from Capcom said that they likely needed more RAM to get the new RE engine up and running on the Switch. This could have been a strong factor for Nintendo to listen, but it wasnt only Capcom who wanted more RAM. I guess we'll never know what would have happened if Capcom hadnt requested it, if Nintendo would have listened to all the other developers also requesting it.

Yeah, regardless, that extra GB has been an invaluable contribution and worth all the games they may put on it, if only because I feel a lot of 'impossible ports' would not have happened without the extra GB.

Capcom's feedback wasn't bullshit and helped the Switch.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

Why would an hypothetical Switch MH would have, for example, loading screens. Most other QoL improvements aren't tied to hardware performance.