• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I don't understand the Fifa split. Last year you could say it was the small install base and the first game of its ilk, but with the great legs it got you'd think it would start stronger right away this time. It's like we're back to square one.

Maybe the people who bought it a few months ago don't want to pay full price for another low effort stat update.

If EA had used the money to get Frostbite ported or at least do something unique with the old engine, perhaps sales would have been higher.

Also there is the possibility that buyers of Switch FIFA are content with 18 it and will just keep playing it regardless if there is a new version.

Time (and legs) will tell.

Oct 25, 2017
The lessons 3rd party publishers learned from their late, low effort, test games are to keep releasing late and low effort test games.
Still hoping 2019 shows improvement, but it's a bummer.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Disgaea 5 all over again lol.
Games like VC4 or FighterZ are ported to the Switch because of the global market and the reach the system has on a worldwide scale. Not because of Week 1 Japan numbers.
i guess this was the week concern trollers were waiting for

Its always the same - games pretty much sold as expected in that market.

Its 2018 and people are still bringing up Fifa as a goalpost for 3rdParty viability on Nintendo plattform - hell even in Japan.

Once EA offers feature parity with the other versions or starts releasing demos on Switch, we can talk about some deeper issues with Switch owners not picking up some games. As long as its not the case its pretty clear why sales are lacking.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure a "hardcore" selling well on Switch will drop the rethoric right away, but as we're sseing with Warriors Orochi, it's still not happening. What games outsold the PS4 version on Switch when they launched simultaneously? A couple of Bamco anime games, what else?

What's a hardcore game for you ? Dragon Ball Xenoverse isn't one I guess ?

You should define the words you are using, otherwise discussion will be complicated.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Are not Musou precisely one of those rare genres where they always do better on console than on handheld in Japan?

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
I can't wrap my head around that hardware sales graph. The Switch is considered to be very successful. Yet it's way below the 3DS sales, and I remember back then people were kinda disappointed in the sales performance of the 3DS. What gives?

Oct 27, 2017
if they're judging how they should handle the switch off of late-ass ports, then chances are they never held the Switch in high regards.

I think the Switch surprised everyone in both it's success and how quickly it launched, but the fact that we are a year and a half in and announcements for games, even as ports, from a more diverse array of companies to come over to the console have sort of withered down has me concerned. Like I said, next gen is slowly making its way over the horizon, it's only a matter of time until games start getting released that aren't possible to play on the Switch.

We have reports about most third party titles performing well on Switch.

This is good to hear at least. It honestly sort of feels like the titles that are promoted through the help of Nintendo and feel great to play on the console are always what to do well.

For instance, Warriors Orochi 4 runs MUCH better on PS4, playing it on Switch is just asking for a worse version.

Dragon Ball Fighterz and Valkyria Chronicles 4 are both games that have been out since the beginning of the year. If people wanted to play them, they would have played them.

And The World Ends With You is a DS game being sold at full price and from what I have seen has VERY little new content. That fact that Square Enix is going to determine the future of the series based on the sales of this game is very disappointing.

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
More important is result of switch 3rd party exclusivity as Daemon x Machina etc...
In western countries, Travis strikes will be released one week after NSMU deluxe, so it will be hard to have visibility.
Not yet release date for Japan.

We will count the points at the end of the year about 3rd party software. ( list of 100K games, 200K etc...)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wrap my head around that hardware sales graph. The Switch is considered to be very successful. Yet it's way below the 3DS sales, and I remember back then people were kinda disappointed in the sales performance of the 3DS. What gives?
3DS post price drop was a beast....and much cheaper than the Switch is right now.
Hell 3DS did performed quite well in Japan even before the price drop.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
The 3DS had to have an emergency price cut very early in its life and lost Nintendo money. Switch has been pure profit from day one.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

3DS got a huge price-cut in its first year that totally saved it. It is one of the most successful gaming platform in Japan now.

Switch is considered very successful because it didn't need a price cut, software sales are excellent and it is way more successful in the West than the 3DS.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
An uneventful quarter

uk0Nqo9.png

And a preview of what is about to happen

iM4ezyP.png

Don't worry the switch revision will save it

Oct 25, 2017
3DS got an $80 price cut around a few months after its launch.
Went on to sell 24M in Japan.

Switch launched more expensive and Nintendo never cut the price despite consoles usually getting a cut around this time

TongPoo

Jul 14, 2018
It's the price. Switch is way more expensive than 3DS after the drastic price cut. At this price, Switch is more like a console rather than handheld. If Nintendo really wants Switch to sell like a handheld in Japan, they need to cut the price first.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is good to hear at least. It honestly sort of feels like the titles that are promoted through the help of Nintendo and feel great to play on the console are always what to do well.

For instance, Warriors Orochi 4 runs MUCH better on PS4, playing it on Switch is just asking for a worse version.

Dragon Ball Fighterz and Valkyria Chronicles 4 are both games that have been out since the beginning of the year. If people wanted to play them, they would have played them.

And The World Ends With You is a DS game being sold at full price and from what I have seen has VERY little new content. That fact that Square Enix is going to determine the future of the series based on the sales of this game is very disappointing.

DBFZ is going do have legs though. It's a Dragon ball game, and is by then family-friendly in Japan. Like Xenoverse 2 a year ago, it'll slowly crawl a few thousands every week until it reaches more than 100k.
Switch resonates well with that kind of game. Stuff like VC4 and TWEWY are just hardcore games and when in top of that you're a late port like VC4, it's just asking for a bomb in JP (it'll do well in the west tho)

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I'm sure a "hardcore" selling well on Switch will drop the rethoric right away, but as we're sseing with Warriors Orochi, it's still not happening. What games outsold the PS4 version on Switch when they launched simultaneously? A couple of Bamco anime games, what else?

Well, first, dismissing examples as "Bamco anime games" seems incredibly disingenous to me. I can do that too: "What PS4 games outsold the Switch versions, a couple of annual musou games?"

Second, Switch games outselling or (roughly) on par with PS4 version:

Xenoverse 2
Anata no Shikihime Kyoudoutan
Attack on Titan 2
Liar Princess and the Blind Prince
God Wars: Nihon Shinwa Taisen
Dragon Quest X: All in One Package Ver.1-4
Dragon Quest X: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e Online
Dragon Quest X: All in One Package
Disgaea 1 Complete (PS4 outsold Switch by 1k- not a big difference to me)
Okami HD
My Hero Academia: One's Justice
Little Dragon's Cafe
Steins;Gate Elite

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
What's a hardcore game for you ? Dragon Ball Xenoverse isn't one I guess ?

You should define the words you are using, otherwise discussion will be complicated.
Games that adresses a core audience, a dedicated fandom. Something like Warriors Orochi and Sen IV, this week alone. Dragon Ball is about as mainstream as it gets.

From the examples above, I'd say Disgaea and Steins;Gate are definitely some, so there's that.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm kinda perplexed by some posts lol. The only real tragic thing is VC4, and even then it's a late port.

Anyway, how does TWEWY compare to other non FF/DQ/KH ports released this gen?
Depressingly, the Secret of Mana collection trounced it with 29.5k

Game is bigger in the West, but still a disappointing number. Hopefully they're already working on the sequel and it's too far along to stop :P

EDIT: Mana wasn't full-price.

Last edited:

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Games that adresses a core audience, a dedicated fandom. Something like Warriors Orochi and Sen IV, this week alone. Dragon Ball is about as mainstream as it gets.

Well then yes- by that definition, which to you seems to only encapsulate franchises that have primarily been on Playstation platforms for years- then yes, I will readily concede PS4 games will sell better for now.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
In which categories games like Octopath, A.O.T 2, Taiko, Yokai Watch 4 and Dragon Quest Builders 2 are ?
It was a list of all the 'worst' examples of efforts that won't do that well on Switch, but I added Bomberman at the end as a joke ;)

It's funny since, based on what they did, the response to Bomberman's success by Konami (lol) was not to think 'Hmm maybe the Switch is a viable platform' but 'if it can do that well on the crappy Switch imagine what it can do elsewhere!!!'

Still even Octopath, which is probably the actual biggest 3rd party effort, is a pretty low budget job and they screwed up the supply.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

From the examples above, I'd say Disguaea and Steins;Gate are definitely some, so there's that.
The majority of niche Japanese titles didn't move to the switch based on Japanese sales. That's unlikely to change in the near future either.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
The lessons 3rd party publishers learned from their late, low effort, test games are to keep releasing late and low effort test games.
Still hoping 2019 shows improvement, but it's a bummer.
not gonna happen, many games are already on dev, and the main culprit again is that 3rd party expect Nintendo to "bribe" em the same way S (and M on the west) do for deal and whatsoever. and Nintendo does not need it cause their dependence of 3rd party is difference on that S (and M) need.

im fairly sure parity 3rd party support will never stop being a dream (or shitpost material)

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Data from Media Create, up to Top 1000 2017, aside from DBFZ

Main multiplatform Musou titles recap for the past few years

[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.20} (¥8.190) - 274.625 / 420.518
[PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.20} (¥7.140) - 60.315 / 127.869
[PS3] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.09.26} (¥6.615) - 80.398 / 146.215
[PSV] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.09.26} (¥6.090) - 25.483 / 60.100
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.12.19} (¥7.980) - 126.019 / 221.961
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.12.19} (¥6.980) - 52.667 / 121.954
[PS3] Samurai Warriors 4 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.20} (¥7.200) - 120.452 / 245.877
[PSV] Samurai Warriors 4 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.20} (¥6.800) - 39.597 / 106.825
[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥7.800) - 97.326 / 168.819
[PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥6.800) - 54.308 / 135.831
[PS4] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥7.800) - 46.693 / 83.134
[PS4] Warriors All-Stars # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.03.30} (¥7.800) - 40.368 / 58.071
[PSV] Warriors All-Stars # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.03.30} (¥6.800) - 17.866 / 29.687

[PS4] Warriors Orochi 4 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.09.27} (¥7.800) - 100.831 / NEW
[NSW] Warriors Orochi 4 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.09.27} (¥7.800) - 23.660 / NEW

FIFA 18 v.s. FIFA 19

[PS4] FIFA 18 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} (¥7.800) - 55.919 / 104.031
[NSW] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} (¥5.800) - 12.616 / 62.783
[PS3] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} (¥7.800) - 2.567 / 6.079

[PS4] FIFA 19 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2018.09.28} (¥7.800) - 57.772 / NEW
[NSW] FIFA 19 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2018.09.28} (¥5.800) - 16.200 / NEW

Dragon Ball originals and ports

[PS4] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.11.02} (¥7.600) - 66.035 / 136.401
[NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} (¥6.800) - 24.045 / 96.040

[PS4] Dragon Ball FighterZ <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.01} (¥7.600) - 68.731 / 92.935
[NSW] Dragon Ball FighterZ <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.09.27} (¥6.800) - 23.202 / NEW

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games like VC4 or FighterZ are ported to the Switch because of the global market and the reach the system has on a worldwide scale. Not because of Week 1 Japan numbers.
But this thread is about japanese sales. I have no doubt VC4 will do well on Switch worldwide and FighterZ had a decent debut in Japan even.

Still feels like Switch should pull better 3rd party numbers for more less "Nintendo"-like franchises coming back, but I think people underestimated how different the PS/Nintendo audiences in Japan got over this last decade with them sharing few multiplat releases. I just hope 3rd parties don't see some bad numbers and give up considering they first need to rebuild their relevance with Nintendo players.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This.

Depressingly, the full price Secret of Mana collection trounced it with 29.5k

Game is bigger in the West, but still a disappointing number. Hopefully they're already working on the sequel and it's too far along to stop :P

I think games like TWEWY and VC4 will follow the Ys 8 trend. Selling low in Japan (mostly due to being (late)ports) but doing good in the west. So it's basically too early to bury the sequel dreams.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Switch surprised everyone in both it's success and how quickly it launched, but the fact that we are a year and a half in and announcements for games, even as ports, from a more diverse array of companies to come over to the console have sort of withered down has me concerned. Like I said, next gen is slowly making its way over the horizon, it's only a matter of time until games start getting released that aren't possible to play on the Switch.

yeah but the future of the world ends with you was always going to fall down to western sales

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
DId you forget about Hyper Sports R?

(lol)
Mr Konami: "Oh Mr Konami you are a genius! Hyper Sports R is exactly what the market wants! If it doesn't sell a million it's clear Switch owners don't buy 3rd party games and we'll cease development of anything on it! Also, let's put some Castelvania games on PS4 to tie in with Smash Bros, perfect!"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still expecting a Switch 2.0 with improved hardware around 2020 that would put the docked mode close to the XBO (albeit at lower average resolution). it would keep the Switch in line with next gen as it is to current gen

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Up 12% when last year was experiencing significant supply constraints is good to you...?
oh please do tell me what would have been an expected growth for the dead zone of the year compared to release window of the console last year. im sure you have a great insight. maybe it should have been 50% over for no reason.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
By the way wasn't Sen IV supposed to open at 110k? How did it compare to III?
I'm confused where you're taking that 110K opening from. These numbers are on par with the sen3 numbers from last year

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2017.09.28} (¥7.800) - 87.261 / NEW

sen3 opened with 104.401 in Famitsu.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I heard Orochi 4 has severe performance issue on PS4 (other then that it's a good game). Can't imagine how it runs on Switch.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused where you're taking that 110K opening from. These numbers are on par with the sen3 numbers from last year

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2017.09.28} (¥7.800) - 87.261 / NEW

sen3 opened with 104.401 in Famitsu.
YSO predictions

01. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - The End of Saga < 120k (average 110k) [week 1]
02. [PS4] Warriors Orochi 4 < 95k (average 85k) [week 1]
03. [PS4] Utawarerumono: Zan < 75k (average 65k) [week 1]
04. [PS4] FIFA 19 < 60k (average 55k) [week 1]
Though the Utawarerumono difference is even worse.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
But this thread is about japanese sales. I have no doubt VC4 will do well on Switch worldwide and FighterZ had a decent debut in Japan even.

Still feels like Switch should pull better 3rd party numbers for more less "Nintendo"-like franchises coming back, but I think people underestimated how different the PS/Nintendo audiences in Japan got over this last decade with them sharing few multiplat releases. I just hope 3rd parties don't see some bad numbers and give up considering they first need to rebuild their relevance with Nintendo players.
What Nintendo like franchises ? Codename Steam bombed on 3DS, VC4 is a late port of game that debuted on PS4 and the whole IP was PS only until recently in Japan. Same with DB FighterZ - its a late port of a PS4 and DB Super isnt running anymore (though that Broly movie might help it a bit).....unless you are Smash Bros. the chances of selling big numbers for a 2D Fighter - no matter how well it looks are rather slim.

People mostly buy the Switch to play popular games from Nintendo and whatever else is relevant - DW and co. have been selling less and less with every year, why would dumped down PS4 version on Switch result in some mayor upswing.

KT can use every additional sold copy and is glad to have those games hit Xbox/Switch in the west as well to secure some bigger Week 1 shipments - but lets not be delusional...the same game series that have been selling less and less on PS4 wont suddenly turn into breakout hits on Switch. Pretty sure most publishers understand the fact...some users on Era still hope for something bigger though - i dont know why.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Spider-Man seems to be performing like GOW, only at a much higher level: strong hold at first but then a steady drop towards obscurity. I wonder if it can hold at around 5k for a couple of months or if it will drop down below quickly.

Switch hardware up is nice. Switch games' performances aren't stellar, but honestly only FIFA 19 is below expectations imo.

Next week with SMP will be interesting. I wonder if it can sell a few units of hardware as well.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Are there still stock issues for Spider-Man? I didn't expect to see it out of the charts this week. Then again, looks like there is plenty of new software that came out.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there still stock issues for Spider-Man? I didn't expect to see it out of the charts this week. Then again, looks like there is plenty of new software that came out.
Well, most day one buyers should have finiahed it by now. 2nd hand market is where the sales will go.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man has a good share of its sales digital because of first week short supply, even Media Create mentioned that. There are at least 50k+ more sales not shown in these numbers.