• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Idk if they are just parroting the US account but PS Japan's twitter sales holiday shopping period 2020 too.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
But I guess an ever shrinking playerbase and a 40-60% decline in sales is going to force their hands at some point no matter where Kondo's loyalties lie
I do not think so.
First the decline is not as big if you take out the double purchases on multiple playforms and consider just the first day version sales with the data before.
Second falcom financials are good as ever meaning they make bigger profits than before. How they do it, i do not know.
Imho they spread the plot content on more titles with the erebonian saga...

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
I agree that the argument of limited resources seems to be done in bad faith. There are many ways to work something out, but considering that in an Interview that hosted Kondo and NISs president, the answer to NISs enthusiastic offer to a stronger collaboration to port Falcom games to Switch, was met with Kondo practically telling him to hold his horses. It's obvious that it's more Falcoms decision, that is slowing down the process.

Two years ago FAlcom barely counted 50 employees? Your comparison to Monolith Soft makes no sense as a studio that is a first party Nintendo studio. Falcom is still an independent studio at the end of the day. It would be a sad but fitting comparison if Falcom was under ownership of Sony.

With 63 employees it is a small studio. That's the whole point.

If you don't like the valid Monolithsoft example, than take Platinum with over 200+ employees or another RPG Studio like Level5 with over 300+ employees. I'm sure we'll have the opportunity to see further goalpost moving...

Last edited:

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree that the argument of limited resources seems to be done in bad faith. There are many ways to work something out, but considering that in an Interview that hosted Kondo and NISAs president, the answer to NISAs enthusiastic offer to a stronger collaboration to port Falcom games to Switch, was met with Kondo practically telling him to hold his horses. It's obvious that it's more Falcoms decision, that is slowing down the process.

With 63 employees it is a small studio. That's the whole point.

If you don't like the valid Monolithsoft example, than take Platinum with over 200+ employees or another RPG Studio like Level5 with over 300+ employees. I'm sure we'll have the opportunity to see further goalpost moving...
those comparisons are still moot? lmao

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I do not think so.
First the decline is not as big if you take out the double purchases on multiple playforms and consider just the first day version sales with the data before.
Second falcom financials are good as ever meaning they make bigger profits than before. How they do it, i do not know.
Imho they spread the plot content on more titles with the erebonian saga...
Guys it's not declining if we don't consider sales on multiple systems!

Think.jpg

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
So no delayed launch this time for the PS5. The backward compatibility certainly helped.

Little curious how they'll manage stock worldwide at launch.

Where did it say that? I didn't see it in the wired article.

Edit: never mind, is see the press release saying they expect it to be out for the 2020 winter shopping season.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Well "expect to be out for date in the future" does sound different from the other regional tweets and blogs, those are pretty much definite on the timeframe.

I guess Sony waits and sees how production goes and might decide on a possible delay in one region depending on that?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did Sony just tank any possible upside to holiday 2019 console sales with the PS5 release date?

Is a price drop now absolutely mandatory to slow the decaying PS4 hardware sales? I can't see a whole lot of people wanting to pay full price for a platform that's going to be replaced in a year.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
The ressources argument is one that keeps beeing made in bad faith. Many studios with as many or even less employees are managing multiplatform strategies just fine.

But I guess an ever shrinking playerbase and a 40-60% decline in sales is going to force their hands at some point no matter where Kondo's loyalties lie
Didnt Falcom do multiplatfor with Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 (for PS3 and Vita), or did another studio handle one of those platforms?

Reading some of the later interviews with Falcom, Kondo doesnt actually specifically say that they dont have the resources as a general thing, but rather that it would take resources away from making new games (which is true unless they hire more people), and they dont want to do that. It also seems that theres also the additional comments that they believe that they're main userbase in on Playstation, which is also probably the main reason why they dont see the need to branch out to several other platforms.

I agree that the argument of limited resources seems to be done in bad faith. There are many ways to work something out, but considering that in an Interview that hosted Kondo and NISAs president, the answer to NISAs enthusiastic offer to a stronger collaboration to port Falcom games to Switch, was met with Kondo practically telling him to hold his horses. It's obvious that it's more Falcoms decision, that is slowing down the process.
Was this the inteview with Alan Costa (NISA) and Toshihiro Kondo (Falcom)?

Last edited:

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Guys it's not declining if we don't consider sales on multiple systems!
Think.jpg
Well imho multiple systems sales should not be considered for games like ys8 who released on ps4 and vita in different times imho.
For kiseki titles imho it matters.
Dayone sales for sen no kiseki 1+2 on a vita\ps3 combined are both better than single platform ps4 releases of sen 3 and sen 4. So some vita fans did not follow Falcom, indeed.
But this was not a problem nor for Kondo nor Falcom' stakeholders so far since they joy at their financials.
Courious to see if the ps5 jump will affect them..

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
PREDICTION LEAGUE OCTOBER 2019

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 30 to Oct 27):

[NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (18 days) - 75 000
[NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (11 days) - 75 000
[NSW] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition (11 days) - 10 000
[NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (10 days) - 100 000
[PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (4 days) - 200 000

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well imho multiple systems sales should not be considered for games like ys8 who released on ps4 and vita in different times imho.
Dayone sales for sen no kiseki 1+2 on a vita\ps3 combined are both better than single platform ps4 releases of sen 3 and sen 4. So some vita fans did not follow Falcom, indeed.
But this was not a problem nor for Kondo nor Falcom' stakeholders so far since they joy at their financials.

I actually doubt declining sales will fill any company or shareholder with joy.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
A sale is a sale. If the game goes from 160k to 70k it's a 55% decline
Double dippers or not

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didnt Falcom do multiplatfor with Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 (for PS3 and Vita), or did another studio handle one of those platforms?

Reading some of the later interviews with Falcom, Kondo doesnt actually specifically say that they dont have the resources as a general thing, but rather that it would take resources away from making new games (which is true unless they hire more people), and they dont want to do that. It also seems that theres also the additional comments that they believe that they're main userbase in on Playstation, which is also probably the main reason why they dont see the need to branch out to several other platforms.

Was this the inteview with Alan Costa (NISA) and Toshihiro Kondo (Falcom)?
Kondo has explained in the past that a big part of them dropping multi-platform support being a result of trying to push their graphical style more. WHich you can see directly with CS3.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kondo has explained in the past that a big part of them dropping multi-platform support being a result of trying to push their graphical style more. WHich you can see directly with CS3.

Is there any big graphical update from CS2 to CS3?
I played Steam version of CS1 and CS2, so kinda hard to compare.
From what I've seen, CS3 doesn't exactly look good, especially for a PS4 game.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there any big graphical update from CS2 to CS3?
I played Steam version of CS1 and CS2, so kinda hard to compare.
From what I've seen, CS3 doesn't exactly look good, especially for a PS4 game.
after-2B.jpg

ss_03.jpg

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I see. That would make sense, because technically Falcom could have made the decision to go with PS4 (and/or PS3) and Vita with CS3 (the Vita was still somewhat active in 2017).

And just to add, i have no idea how difficult it is when it comes to optimizing etc. going PS3/Vita or PS4/Switch. I know that Kondo claimed that they didnt have much knowledge about developing for the Switch at least (which doesnt mean that they wouldnt be able to develope for the Switch at all though, but it would require extra resources if they have to study/learn how to do it. Might have been beneficial in the long run however, who knows).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aiming for a later 2020 release in Japan as well is bold, I wonder what it says about third parties upfront commitments.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Aiming for a later 2020 release in Japan as well is bold, I wonder what it says about third parties upfront commitments.
Since backward compatibility is on the table this time, they could get away with a soft release schedule.

Keep in my mind that since the restructuring, the shots are called from the US branch. The JP branch is akin to NoA now.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since backward compatibility is on the table this time, they could get away with a soft release schedule.

Keep in my mind that since the restructuring, the shots are called from the US branch. The JP branch is akin to NoA now.

True, but that makes it more surprising that they're aiming for a simultaneous release after the PS4 launched later.

I'm also not sure how much they could actually get away with a soft release schedule... seems like it would be even more painful than PS4's early years.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

I'd probably go lower down the chain for a comparison. NoA feels like 2nd in command for Nintendo. The Japan branch for PlayStation...well doesn't seem like that.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
At the very least a holiday launch should keep the PS5 fairly ahead of the PS4 launch aligned early on. On the other hand it will make it a bit harder for the PS4 to overtake the PS3. The PS3 had 87 months before the PS4 came out. The PS4 will have about 81 before the PS5 launches.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
True, but that makes it more surprising that they're aiming for a simultaneous release after the PS4 launched later.

I'm also not sure how much they could actually get away with a soft release schedule... seems like it would be even more painful than PS4's early years.
Well at first things should go well with the early adopters and such. Starting with January (depending on the software schedule) it should be more painful but I don't see what they can do about it.

Japan's not the focus (and rightfully so) when designing the PS5 so obviously the product won't be totally adapted to the market.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So did Sony just tank any possible upside to holiday 2019 console sales with the PS5 release date?

Is a price drop now absolutely mandatory to slow the decaying PS4 hardware sales? I can't see a whole lot of people wanting to pay full price for a platform that's going to be replaced in a year.
When you have a games line up as powerful as the ps4 you can announce the ps5 as early as you like.
At the very least a holiday launch should keep the PS5 fairly ahead of the PS4 launch aligned early on. On the other hand it will make it a bit harder for the PS4 to overtake the PS3. The PS3 had 87 months before the PS4 came out. The PS4 will have about 81 before the PS5 launches.
As long as the ps4 outsells the ps3 aligned until the ps5 launches it's job well done.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Having BC and similar architecture will make a huge difference.

Any Japan publisher having a planned release for PS4 can be played on ps5 and with similar architecture it's much easier to crank up the GFX as compared to ps3 vs PS4 cross gen games.

Also high chance we might see a higher ps5 adoption from the core PS4 users due to BC

What ps5 basically needs is a monster hunter by 2021

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Isn't it disappointing that PS4 is outselling PS3 just by a tiny amount even if the former got the biggest third party IPs in Japan (MH and DQ) and had much, much less competition?

Nah no matter how bad things might be in reality you can always spin it into a big positive. I mean the games for the PS5 have not been announced yet but you can be sure they'll have a Stellar Line Up of Games tm. When you have the supreme raw power of the PS5 it doesn't matter if sales are slow at first or even if they are worse than the PS3/PS4.

Once the mighty PS4 crosses the 10 million sold mark we will be able to say "wow, what a success that console was in Japan". I think we can say for certainty with the GAMES and the POWER the PS5 can reach that 10 million mark at least 6 weeks faster than the mighty PS4 did.

/s

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think we will have a better idea once Sony reveals some launch titles if they are targeting Japan at all. Launching simultaneously is a step in the right direction.

I know there is some light speculation for Horizon Zero Dawn 2 around launch, probably due to timing since the release of the original. Re-releases of big PS4 titles like Spider-Man, God of War, Death's Stranding, and Ghosts of Tsushima (I think this could be big in Japan) seem likely. Then we have to see if they commit to a Hot Shots Golf or Gran Turismo aimed at the Japanese market or not.

Japanese 3rd Parties are going to be slow on the uptake for sure.

It would be hard for them to top the horridness of PS4 in 2014.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think we will have a better idea once Sony reveals some launch titles if they are targeting Japan at all. Launching simultaneously is a step in the right direction.

I know there is some light speculation for Horizon Zero Dawn 2 around launch, probably due to timing since the release of the original. Re-releases of big PS4 titles like Spider-Man, God of War, Death's Stranding, and Ghosts of Tsushima (I think this could be big in Japan) seem likely. Then we have to see if they commit to a Hot Shots Golf or Gran Turismo aimed at the Japanese market or not.

Japanese 3rd Parties are going to be slow on the uptake for sure.

It would be hard for them to top the horridness of PS4 in 2014.

3 years for a next gen sequel seems rather hasty to me, but Guerilla were there with a PS4 launch title.

Knack 3 will show their commitment to Japan.

Sep 14, 2019
Really? All of those games likely for a re-release? It's just speculation I suppose, but with the PS5 being backwards compatible I would think the only games that would get re-releases are titles that are really close to the PS5's launch. Stuff like Final Fantasy 7 Remake especially, and maybe The Last of Us 2. Death Stranding also seems plausible to pick up some of the Japanese audience while Kojima works on a sequel? Aside from that, I don't think that there will be many more.

I also feel like Ghost of Tsushima is more likely cross-gen with PS4/5 rather than an eventual PS5 re-release.

Oct 25, 2017
I can see a value price reprint of all PS4 first party like they did with the PS Essentials in the west, except market them as PS5 compatible.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Isn't it disappointing that PS4 is outselling PS3 just by a tiny amount even if the former got the biggest third party IPs in Japan (MH and DQ) and had much, much less competition?
The ps4 is more expensive then the ps3 was at this stage so it's quite impressive it's increasing it's lead over it aligned.
We're talking individuals, not gaming companies.

Falcom (which was the company discussed) is barely even single A
I know, my reply was a joke.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I can see a value price reprint of all PS4 first party like they did with the PS Essentials in the west, except market them as PS5 compatible.
Sony did it in the past (PS2 compatible and then PS3 compatible)
So a PS5 compatible logo makes sense to give the illusion of a big lineup. Even better with PS5 enhanced