• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
PREDICTION LEAGUE OCTOBER 2019

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 30 to Oct 27):

[NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (18 days) - 48.360
[NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (11 days) - 42.780
[NSW] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition (11 days) - 13.600
[NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (10 days) - 69.000
[PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (4 days) - 208.200

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kondo has explained in the past that a big part of them dropping multi-platform support being a result of trying to push their graphical style more. WHich you can see directly with CS3.

I can understand that they left the dying vita, i mean the first two games had their framerate dips and 3 really does look better. But it still looks like a PS3 game and i bet Switch could have handeled those gaphics.

Yea the Steam version looks similar to the bottom pic ...
Is the top 1 from PS3 or PSV?

the graphics are still not on PS4 level, but it is an upgrade. Not as big as some people wished, but i guess it can't be helped. I love the games either way.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Really? All of those games likely for a re-release? It's just speculation I suppose, but with the PS5 being backwards compatible I would think the only games that would get re-releases are titles that are really close to the PS5's launch. Stuff like Final Fantasy 7 Remake especially, and maybe The Last of Us 2. Death Stranding also seems plausible to pick up some of the Japanese audience while Kojima works on a sequel? Aside from that, I don't think that there will be many more.

I also feel like Ghost of Tsushima is more likely cross-gen with PS4/5 rather than an eventual PS5 re-release.
I don't know how they will work it with backward compatibility. They may just have the system automatically up-res it if you own the PS4 game. I was just imagining something along the lines of the Uncharted Collection, God of War Collection, The Last of Us: Remastered, etc that launched pretty early on for the PS4.

Do we have a good idea how well PS Now or Stadia will do in Japan? I feel like they have some of the best infrastructure built to support streaming services. It would make sense for those services to do well there.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Sony did it in the past (PS2 compatible and then PS3 compatible)
So a PS5 compatible logo makes sense to give the illusion of a big lineup. Even better with PS5 enhanced
There won't be any illusions. They'll be real games running on the ps5 and most likely with improved performance.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a good idea how well PS Now or Stadia will do in Japan? I feel like they have some of the best infrastructure built to support streaming services. It would make sense for those services to do well there.
no idea about the former as i don't think sony ever reveal the subscriber distribution publicly. as for latter... google need to add japan in their supported country list first

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
As far as the Japanese lineup goes I'm not even sure what Sony could have at launch that would bring attention. They had to give Knack away for free with the PS4 and they had that Yakuza spinoff.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I don't know how they will work it with backward compatibility. They may just have the system automatically up-res it if you own the PS4 game. I was just imagining something along the lines of the Uncharted Collection, God of War Collection, The Last of Us: Remastered, etc that launched pretty early on for the PS4.

Stadia, AFAIK, has not been announced for here yet.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I think you mean PSP.

No, I meant lifetime. How much do you think Lite will actually sell?!

Globally or Japan? Japan is a bit more difficult, and we only have 2 weeks of data, so it will be hard to judge what a low sales week will look like for it, but to reach the Vita even at a snails - PS4 type sales pace, it can do it in about 190 weeks. That of course depends however if it gets replaced or stays on the market that long too. I personally think it can catch up with the Vita in about 2 years. Globally it should do it faster.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The ps4 is more expensive then the ps3 was at this stage so it's quite impressive it's increasing it's lead over it aligned.

Price is not the only factor consumers include in their purchasing decisions. Also PS4 got a lot of promotions and bundles with free games over the years.

But PS4 receiving virtually all heavy hitters from Japanese third parties (as you recently confirmed), VR, many revisions, Western games that are increasingly popular in Japan nowadays (just think about Minecraft and Fortnite) and no competition at all---selling just a tiny amount than its previous platform launch aligned is pretty disappointing, you know that. Especially because in the grand scheme of things, with such line-up PS4 should have been the clear market leader in Japan.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Price is not the only factor consumers include in their purchasing decisions. Also PS4 got a lot of promotions and bundles with free games over the years.

But PS4 receiving virtually all heavy hitters from Japanese third parties (as you recently confirmed), VR, many revisions, Western games that are increasingly popular in Japan nowadays (just think about Minecraft and Fortnite) and no competition at all---selling just a tiny amount than its previous platform launch aligned is pretty disappointing, you know that. Especially because in the grand scheme of things, with such line-up PS4 should have been the clear market leader in Japan.
And a midgen refresh that brought in double dippers

Normal PS4 is significantly behind normal PS3 (spin spin)

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
User Warned: Antagonizing another user
As long as the ps4 outsells the ps3 aligned until the ps5 launches it's job well done.

I like you. I like how you will bend over backwards to find a positive thing to say for Sony. I was annoyed by it at first but now I kind of look forward to your posts. If there were 9 Switch games in the top 10 and I'd think to myself "Kerotan is going to post about the remaining PS4 one" and like clockwork you do. It is endearing.

I imagine if the headline was "Sony Steals Candy from a Baby" you would come in with "Wow, Sony is really doing it's part to prevent childhood obesity".

Sorry that I have ripped on you in the past and others rip on you now. But I think now that I understand your shtick I can enjoy it rather than be angered by it.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I think all those who expect some lackluster PS5 launch in japan may be end up being wrong, it is my impression Sony may have learned the importance of having Japanese games ready for launch window, both for Japan and the West, and will surprise people here. I say this based on the what I perceive as the radio silence from the major Japanese publishers as far as big games announcements this year.

P.S.
And no, I am not a Sony fan, I own only a Switch (with 3 Switches in my household and a fourth coming soon) and couldn't care less about the success of PS5 one way or the other. Being a company owner myself (not the size of Sony...) this is just what I expect from a business like Sony though after they saw the success of most of their Japanese games this generation. I expect them to do it for the sake of their Western sales, but as a side effect this should be beneficial for their Japanese sales as well, at least out of the door. Total PS5 sales may still end up same or less than PS4.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
You also have to consider the purchasing power and exchange of the yen in 2012. About 80¥ could get you a dollar back then, it's now about 110¥ for a dollar. The yen has lost a lot of value since the PS3 was on market.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Then we have to see if they commit to a Hot Shots Golf or Gran Turismo aimed at the Japanese market or not.
These IPs have become irrelevant in Japan during this generation. In fact Everybody's Golf is low seller everywhere and Gran Turismo took a hit even at west.

As far as first party offerings go PS5 will have to depend entirely on third parties.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I think all those who expect some lackluster PS5 launch in japan may be end up being wrong, it is my impression Sony may have learned the importance of having Japanese games ready for launch window, both for Japan and the West, and will surprise people here. I say this based on the what I perceive as the radio silence from the major Japanese publishers as far as big games announcements this year.

Japanese companies did everything in their power to chase the West THIS gen. What makes you believe, with the Japanese dedicated gaming market continuing to decline, that Sony would make a big push for Japan NEXT gen? If anything it will probably be worse and the smaller 3rd parties that do release things for the domestic market might have a hard time with the big GaaS model the PS5 is trying to achieve.

That said I would LOVE to be wrong. A healthy Japanese market with 2 or more big players is good for my interests (Japanese games).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Previous Sony launch lineups:

PlayStation
  • A.IV Evolution: A-Ressha de Ikou (Artdink)
  • Crime Crackers (SCE)
  • Mahjong Goku Tenjiku (EA Victor)
  • Mahjong Station Mazin (Sunsoft)
  • Nekketsu Okayo (Tecnosoft)
  • Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack (Konami)
  • Ridge Racer (Namco)
  • TAMA (Time Warner Interactive)
PlayStation 2
  • A-Train 6 (Artdink)
  • DrumMania (Konami)
  • Eternal Ring (From Software)
  • Kakinoki Shogi IV (ASCII)
  • Kessen (Koei)
  • Mahjong Takai III (Koei)
  • Morita Shogi (Yuki Enterprise)
  • Ridge Racer V (Namco)
  • Stepping Selection (Jaleco)
  • Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom)
PSP
  • Armored Core: Formula Front Extreme Battle (From Software)
  • DarkStalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (Capcom)
  • Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (SCE)
  • Lumines (Bandai)
  • Mahjong Fight Club (Konami)
  • Ridge Racers (Namco)
PlayStation 3
  • Blast Factor (SCE) PSN only
  • Genji: Days of the Blade (SCE)
  • Manichi Issho (SCE)
  • Miyazato San Kyuodai Naizou: Sega Golf Club (Sega)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (Bandai Namco)
  • Resistance: Fall of Man (SCE)
  • Ridge Racer 7 (Bandai Namco)
PS Vita
  • AR Combat DigiQ: Tomodachi Senshatai (Konami) PSN only
  • Army Corps of Hell (Square Enix)
  • Asphalt: Injection (Konami)
  • BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (Arc System Works)
  • Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (Nippon Ichi Soft)
  • Dream C Club Zero Portable (D3 Publisher)
  • Dungeon Hunter: Alliance (Ubisoft)
  • Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo)
  • F1 2011 (Codemasters)
  • Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (SCE)
  • Little Deviants (SCE)
  • Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix)
  • Mahjong Fight Club: Shinsei Zenkoku Taisen Han (Konami)
  • Michael Jackson The Experience HD (Ubisoft)
  • Ridge Racer (Bandai Namco)
  • Shin Kamatachi no Yoru: 11-ninme no Suspect (Chunsoft)
  • Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zan (Spike)
  • Touch My Katamari (Bandai Namco)
  • Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (Capcom)
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE)
  • Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition (Sega)
PlayStation 4
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft)
  • Battlefield 4 (EA)
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (Square Enix)
  • Contrast (Compulsion Games) PSN only
  • Doki-Doki Universe (SCE) PSN only
  • Don't Starve: Console Edition (Klei Entertainment) PSN only
  • Dream C Club: Host Girls on Stage (D3 Publisher)
  • Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition (Koei Tecmo)
  • Escape Plan (SCE) PSN only
  • FIFA14 (EA)
  • flOw (SCE) PSN only
  • flower (SCE) PSN only
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall (SCE)
  • Knack (SCE)
  • NBA 2K14 (2K)
  • Need for Speed: Rivals (EA)
  • Nikoli no Puzzle 4: Sudoku (Hamster) PSN only
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence (Koei Tecmo)
  • Onigiri (Cyberstep) PSN only
  • Resogun (SCE) PSN only
  • Ryu ga Gotoku: Ishin! (Sega)
  • Sound Shapes (SCE) PSN only
  • Strider (Capcom) PSN only
  • The Playroom (SCE) PSN only
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Square Enix)
  • Tottemo E Mahjong Plus (Arc System Works) PSN only
  • Warframe (Digital Extremes) PSN only
Expect PS5 to look a lot like PS4 did. Mostly western stuff, even from JP pubs. Like SE's only game will be Marvel's Avengers.

Last edited:

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Japanese companies did everything in their power to chase the West THIS gen. What makes you believe, with the Japanese dedicated gaming market continuing to decline, that Sony would make a big push for Japan NEXT gen? If anything it will probably be worse and the smaller 3rd parties that do release things for the domestic market might have a hard time with the big GaaS model the PS5 is trying to achieve.

That said I would LOVE to be wrong. A healthy Japanese market with 2 or more big players is good for my interests (Japanese games).
Oh, I wasn't referring to smaller 3rd parties, nor did I mean that Sony will intentionally make a big push specifically for Japan. But this gen, besides the usual suspects, Bloodborne, Persona 5, Nier Automata and MHW happened, and Sony has seen how beneficial it was this gen to secure exclusives or quasi exclusives, and will try to make sure this time around to have some of these earlier in the lifetime of the PS5. This will be for the sake of sales in the West, but as a side effect , this should benefit Japan sales. So not a big push for Japan on purpose, but as a side effect.

Expect PS5 to look a lot like PS4 did. Mostly western stuff, even from JP pubs. Like SE's only game will be Marvel's Avengers.
I'm curious, are these lineups launch day or launch window? What I expect was referring to launch window (first 3-6 months). Anyway, I'm expecting at least one fairly major Japanese game that will get people excited in the first 3-6 months, if not launch day.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
PREDICTION LEAGUE OCTOBER 2019

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 30 to Oct 27):

[NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (18 days) - 60.000
[NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (11 days)
[NSW] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition (11 days)
[NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (10 days)
[PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (4 days)

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Does this include games that were also released on PS3? Or exclusively PS4, must own game?
To some extent I think it should include new cross platform games - though there are some people who would buy a new platform only when it has exclusives they want to play, many others will consider it enough if the platform has any new games they want to play, even if they could also buy these on a platform they already own (anecdotal but I am certain I am not an exception, I owned a Wii U yet despite being cross platform BOTW was enough of an incentive for me to buy Switch on launch).

Last edited:

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France

PlayStation
  • Crime Crackers (SCE)
  • Ridge Racer (Namco)
PlayStation 2
  • A-Train 6 (Artdink)
  • DrumMania (Konami)
  • Kessen (Koei)
  • Ridge Racer V (Namco)
PSP
  • Lumines (Bandai)
  • Ridge Racers (Namco)
PlayStation 3
  • Manichi Issho (SCE)
PS Vita
  • F1 2011 (Codemasters)
  • Little Deviants (SCE)
PlayStation 4
  • Battlefield 4 (EA)
  • FIFA14 (EA)
  • flOw (SCE) PSN only
  • flower (SCE) PSN only
  • Knack (SCE)
  • NBA 2K14 (2K)
  • Resogun (SCE) PSN only

SO PS4 is the only Playstation that has launched without a Ridge Racer game ?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I like you. I like how you will bend over backwards to find a positive thing to say for Sony. I was annoyed by it at first but now I kind of look forward to your posts. If there were 9 Switch games in the top 10 and I'd think to myself "Kerotan is going to post about the remaining PS4 one" and like clockwork you do. It is endearing.

I imagine if the headline was "Sony Steals Candy from a Baby" you would come in with "Wow, Sony is really doing it's part to prevent childhood obesity".

Sorry that I have ripped on you in the past and others rip on you now. But I think now that I understand your shtick I can enjoy it rather than be angered by it.

OK I admit I had a good laugh.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Will be interesting to see what Sony will offer during the PS5 launch - not expecting much tbh...most of the stuff people would be interested in will likely be on PS4 as well for the foreseeable future.
I must admit that i unironically look forward to kerotan's posts every week. PlayStation seems to make him genuinely happy, there's nothing wrong with that.
I don't think I look forward to it but I appreciate that he is open about it & as you said nothing wrong with being more interested in one plattform and Its success stories.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

PlayStation
  • Crime Crackers (SCE)
  • Ridge Racer (Namco)
PlayStation 2
  • A-Train 6 (Artdink)
  • DrumMania (Konami)
  • Kessen (Koei)
  • Ridge Racer V (Namco)
PSP
  • Lumines (Bandai)
  • Ridge Racers (Namco)
PlayStation 3
  • Manichi Issho (SCE)
PS Vita
  • F1 2011 (Codemasters)
  • Little Deviants (SCE)
PlayStation 4
  • Battlefield 4 (EA)
  • FIFA14 (EA)
  • flOw (SCE) PSN only
  • flower (SCE) PSN only
  • Knack (SCE)
  • NBA 2K14 (2K)
  • Resogun (SCE) PSN only
The PS4 had the benefit of releasing later in Japan, so I'm expecting something like the PS5 to have a lot less to show. The thing I'm curious about is how much Japanese SW there will be.

SO PS4 is the only Playstation that has launched without a Ridge Racer game ?
The Ridge Racer franchise seems to be done. People were excited about a RR8 for the Switch, but nothing seems to have come from that.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Will be interesting to see what Sony will offer during the PS5 launch - not expecting much tbh...most of the stuff people would be interested in will likely be on PS4 as well for the foreseeable future.

I don't think I look forward to it but I appreciate that he is open about it & as you said nothing wrong with being more interested in one plattform and Its success stories.

This is a topic where a good chunk of the regulars get extremely upset or aggressive over sales numbers. Kerotan's cheerleading is neither, so in a sense, i kinda look forward to that (and yes it's funny, but not in a bad sense).

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Kerotan at least doesn't trash talk the other brands, some posts can sometimes be eyes rolling, but this is never toxic and angry like we often see. I'm OK With some flag waving, even if in a thread about sales , a little more objectivity doesn't hurt. I'm a big Nintendo fanboy but when Playstation or xbox does well (lol in this thread), can't why I wouldn't salute this.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Kerotan at least doesn't trash talk the other brands, some posts can sometimes be eyes rolling, but this is never toxic and angry like we often see.

Yep that's the most important part. As long as it's not toxic or some weird downplaying (shoutouts to our boy Psycho) it's fine. And let's be honest it would be boring if the whole thread was just Nintendo talk :p

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
if he was completely ignored it would be fine, if it was a full parody (like these KH3 and NSMB2 or SmokyDave post on Vita in the past) it might be funny.
Alas it's neither and detract from any worthwile discussion and is just fluff that is a waste of time, doesn't engage in any meaningful conversation to read in this thread and generates others dozens of posts that are a waste as well.
I still have some doubts about the authenticity of that account, but that might just be me being cynical.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh, I wasn't referring to smaller 3rd parties, nor did I mean that Sony will intentionally make a big push specifically for Japan. But this gen, besides the usual suspects, Bloodborne, Persona 5, Nier Automata and MHW happened, and Sony has seen how beneficial it was this gen to secure exclusives or quasi exclusives, and will try to make sure this time around to have some of these earlier in the lifetime of the PS5. This will be for the sake of sales in the West, but as a side effect , this should benefit Japan sales. So not a big push for Japan on purpose, but as a side effect.
I'm personally convinced that the PS5 will launch at $500 / 50.000 yen. That will make it quite a hard sell in Japan. However, in terms of software, I think you're onto something here. If Sony can secure a new Monster Hunter game, a new Resident Evil game, a new Final Fantasy game, and something like Dark Souls or NieR: Automata in its first year, I think PS5 will be in a much better place in Japan than the PS4 was, which didn't catch steam until 2016 (I guess MGSV in September 2015 was the first real big thing post-launch for the PS4 in Japan).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally convinced that the PS5 will launch at $500 / 50.000 yen. That will make it quite a hard sell in Japan. However, in terms of software, I think you're onto something here. If Sony can secure a new Monster Hunter game, a new Resident Evil game, a new Final Fantasy game, and something like Dark Souls or NieR: Automata in its first year, I think PS5 will be in a much better place in Japan than the PS4 was, which didn't catch steam until 2016 (I guess MGSV in September 2015 was the first real big thing post-launch for the PS4 in Japan).
What is there to secure ? The next iterations of AAA Japanese games will be on PS5 - its a given.
Only think that could be interesting if some of them go PS4/PS5 even post 2020.

Even if the scenario you post becomes true - i dont see how that puts the PS5 in a better position than the PS4. The PS4 came in with the WiiU as competitor and had all big guns confirmed for it rather soon as well - especially SE went in.

I dont see many jpn PS4 owners moving on to PS5 quickly at 50k yen.

Oct 25, 2017
Like I'm not opposed to being positive on a piece of minor sales data points. Hey PS4 held well this week from last week. That's cool. Heavens knows we had that time in the Wii U era. But I'm not for the mindlessness of if someone is clearly just doing it to hone in on a piece of positive news so empathically to illicit a reaction, and then play it off.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
"User Warned: Antagonizing another user"

I am not sure if I am supposed to comment on moderation and maybe I will write to a mod later but I really meant no ill will against Kerotan.

Like Zakatana put it (I guess better then me):
I must admit that i unironically look forward to kerotan's posts every week. PlayStation seems to make him genuinely happy, there's nothing wrong with that.
Kerotan, if I offered you I am sorry. I meant the post to be more lighthearted than perhaps it came out. I will try harder to respect peoples feelings.