• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fanboys will expect everything on their platform of choice. I hardly can believe that most who complain about V not on PS4 had mostly played Nocturne there lol.
I dunno. Switch portbegging is the most predominant form of portbegging on this forum. I usually think people are arguing because said game might be a good match for Switch, but yeah, fanboyism might be at work too.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I think the only sane thing is to want as few 3rd party exclusives and as many games to be on as many platforms as possible. That way a platform performs on the strengths and abilities of the platform itself.

I dunno. Switch portbegging is the most predominant form of portbegging on this forum. I usually think people are arguing because said game might be a good match for Switch, but yeah, fanboyism might be at work too.

I see nothing wrong with portbegging as long as it doesn't cause tangental arguments. There is no harm having as many games on as many platforms as possible. No one loses anything, players and 3rd parties only stand to gain.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't I specifically say production value?

That's all very true (except for the SJ is better part, I never got very far into Nocturne so I don't know). But we are talking about why people might expect SMTV on PS4, not why SMTV should be on PS4. There's a difference. I try to understand where an opinion is from, doesn't mean I need to agree with it.

Sure, the closest example I could think of would be people assuming Street Fighter IV should have been a Wii game. I'm sure there was a few but it's slightly absurd.

Switch port begging is going to be most predominant by virtue of Switch getting the smallest amount of games. If you're a PS4 the list of games to beg for can be counted on one hand.

XBO and PC are somewhere in the middle.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Buster 2, a spinoff, is doing more than 500k on the 3ds with everything (bar Pokemon) underperforming on it and you believe the franchise has lost all relevance?

It would do a million+ on Switch without much troubles

Oh yes, people still buy it sure. It's still a popular game among game players. But 4 years ago YW was popular with everyone. Merchandise, TV shows, manga, music, etc .There was a train in my prefecture that was painted with YW characters. At her kindergarten sports festival my daughter and her classmates came out in Jibanyan masks and did a dance to the theme tune. Many parents sang along. That level of popularity.

Now you will only see YW in game stores and some merch in the toy section. It still is popular with gamers but the mainstream popularity is gone. And it's possible that a Switch reboot could bring it back but that would need to be one of the biggest game revivals in history.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
I see nothing wrong with portbegging as long as it doesn't cause tangental arguments. There is no harm having as many games on as many platforms as possible. No one loses anything, players and 3rd parties only stand to gain.

Unless a publishers funds the game (Nintendo and Bayonetta 2 for exemple).

But wait, what does it have to do with Japan sales ?

giphy.gif

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Just an example to show just how much the WiiU and the Switch are like night and day regarding their software sales.

Super Smash Bros Brawl sold 4 times better than Zelda TP on Wii. (2.315.401 vs 554.109)

Zelda BotW already outsold SSB WiiU. ( 834.968 vs 789.947)

It is like the Switch is pushing some franchises in another level (Zelda, 3D Mario ...).

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe I can start portbegging for Project Octopath, The World Ends With You Remix, SMTV and Ace Attorney for PS4 so that I can have an option to collect them trophies? :P

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How many new IP would you say the PS4 got? How many games have released on the PS4 from Japanese publishers that compete with western games? Those are the type of games that will generate excitement for the PS4 because that is what people expect from a powerful box.
I don't know how I never saw this comment but my response is that that only means Sony failed to really appeal to the mid tier, tell me if I'm getting this wrong but Sony just assumes they will get that support anyways and didn't bring much attention to these smaller games, they appealed to indies at least, at least when the console 1st came out with ironically pretty good competition from the WiiU but as soon as the big games started getting announced they kinda let it fall to the wayside and fun my enough the vita tried to appeal more to the mid tier despite boasting that it could do high quality console graphics

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The more I look at DW9, the more baffled I am how this game came to be. Who in their right mind thought this would be a good direction to take the series in?

Maybe I can start portbegging for Project Octopath, The World Ends With You Remix, SMTV and Ace Attorney for PS4 so that I can have an option to collect them trophies? :P

good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Your are being sarcastic given that it seems to you and some others that what I wrote is nonsense. Funny thing is, there are quite a few Japanese third party games that have been "ignoring" the PS4 and have been only on DS/3DS. True, none of them have been really major, but take them all together and they will have an effect on the buying public. Will it happen? Don't know. Could it happen? Yes, after all, MH wasn't supposed to succeed outside of portables, and now there is "proof" that "portable only" games can do well "outside". And no, I am not a Sony fan, and no, I do not wish for that. I'm just saying that all this outright "this will never happen" is rather disingenuous.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. But the PS4 had far and away the most 3rd party support of any system. Anything it didn't get was mainly little kids stuff (which MHW is not going to attract) and low budget portable games. There are a few DS/3DS gems that might have sold well on the PS4 but with it already crowded with so many 3rd party games, would people have jumped on them? I can see your point a bit, but it just sounded so funny to a lot of us. It was like if you had said:

"Publishers will see the success of _____, and be more interested in bringing anime VN games to the Vita"

or

"With the great sales off Call of Duty WWII, perhaps we will get more shooters on the Xbox One"

It's funny because these games are already there. I totally think MHW is great for Sony. It will bring up the baseline and many help the system do better YoY, but it already has all the 3rd parties in it's pocket and there is no indication that they are jumping ship fro the Switch. (to the exasperation of some on this board). It would be hard to get more 3rd party support without Nintendo going 3rd party.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
There is a bit of a difference discussing how a game might or might not perform in Japan or aboard, and leaving a post about how talking about how a game is performing in Japan doesn't matter because it will do great aboard - in a thread about talking about how games perform in Japan.
but that post didn't exist in a vacuum, and it wasn't actually dismissing how the game is performing. On the contrary, it was a response to some people 'concern' about hypothetical poor legs in Japan that still have not happened.

You forgot to use 'the game is perfect for...' shtick

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
but that post didn't exist in a vacuum, and it wasn't actually dismissing how the game is performing. On the contrary, it was a response to some people 'concern' about hypothetical poor legs in Japan that still have not happened.

For some reasons discussing port begging is fine though.

See above.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

Project Octopath seems to have some funding/advertising link to Nintendo. Maybe the same for SMTV. But I see no reason why The World Ends With You Remix and Ace Attorney can't be in the PS4. I think they are better in portable form, but since they probably would cost next to nothing to port, I hope they do appear on the PS4. These series need more sales to have any future.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, people still buy it sure. It's still a popular game among game players. But 4 years ago YW was popular with everyone. Merchandise, TV shows, manga, music, etc .There was a train in my prefecture that was painted with YW characters. At her kindergarten sports festival my daughter and her classmates came out in Jibanyan masks and did a dance to the theme tune. Many parents sang along. That level of popularity.

Now you will only see YW in game stores and some merch in the toy section. It still is popular with gamers but the mainstream popularity is gone. And it's possible that a Switch reboot could bring it back but that would need to be one of the biggest game revivals in history.
I'm not expecting a revival with 2.5-3 million units sold

But I believe the franchise can pull 1 million on the Switch without too much trouble

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please stop the conspiracy theories about bias? They are quite twisted and convoluted.

So now people want the conversation to return to Japan because they want to overlook the fact that MH:W is performing better than most expected in Japan?!

That makes no sense.

Could just be they think MH:W sales in Japan do matter and do matter to Sony/Capcom.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Unless a publishers funds the game (Nintendo and Bayonetta 2 for exemple).

But wait, what does it have to do with Japan sales ?

I have no problem with the topic veering off course a bit, I have a problem with saying that it doesn't matter how a game performs in Japan in a thread about how games perform in Japan. Games that wouldn't exist if not for the funding and request of a platform holder are pretty much 2nd party, which are their own thing.

Go ahead? I think for the most part console exclusives are silly, if people with PS4s want to play good games then good on them. I don't understand the like for trophies, but if you see that as a perk and reason you choose to get those games on PS4 then that's all good, just like people who prefer to be able to play their games on the go can get the game on their Switch.

You forgot to use 'the game is perfect for...' shtick

We don't know how the legs will be, PS4 games don't have a very good track record with legs, but it is far to soon to tell.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if L5 can just keep the YW torch lit for the next decade it'll have some kind of resurgence.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
The more I look at DW9, the more baffled I am how this game came to be. Who in their right mind thought this would be a good direction to take the series in?

The new graphics and open-world design looks interesting to me, despite falling off the series pretty hard since PS2. Is there something in particular you think is bad about it?

Like, after the incredibly iterative nature of 6, 7, and 8 there is no way they could have just put out a prettier version of that.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Mania million seller just on Switch, it would say that it's just a matter of time.
I can see that being the case. Anecdotally a lot of the streamers I've seen playing Mania were playing it on the Switch, Nintendo's consoles have generally been a great fit for Sonic.

Personally though I bought it on PS4, still have to get it again for the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean now that you mention it, there's no reason why TWEWY or AA wouldn't be able to go to the PS4 unless the companies decided that the playerbase only exists on Nintendo or if they both plan to utilize touch controls.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The new graphics and open-world design looks interesting to me, despite falling off the series pretty hard since PS2. Is there something in particular you think is bad about it?

Like, after the incredibly iterative nature of 6, 7, and 8 there is no way they could have just put out a prettier version of that.

It's the open world design that is baffling to me. It seems like an ill conceived attempt to appeal to an audience that isn't going to buy the game anyway and something that's only cool on paper. I agree that the repetitiveness is a problem with the series in general but I'm not sure this solves it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean now that you mention it, there's no reason why TWEWY or AA wouldn't be able to go to the PS4 unless the companies decided that the playerbase only exists on Nintendo or if they both plan to utilize touch controls.
TWEWY seems to have a mode that uses the touchscreen that is like a mixture of the one from the DS and the iPhone versions. But stripping that out probably would not be that difficult.

In the case of AA, the series is no stranger in not using touchscreen controls (on the GBA they didn't and same with the Wii ports) so I can totally see Capcom porting it to the PS4 if they feel they can reach a bigger audience outside of Nintendo's consoles by doing that.
See them releasing AA only digitally in the west as always those bastards.

Last edited:

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All SE games on Nintendo platforms are published by Nintendo in the west. This would have no bearing on if those games can come to other platforms.

Do those game which is publish by Ninty ever released on other platform though?

Strange Journey is the Dark Souls of Crash Bandicoot

Meh. Crash 2 my friend. Crash 1 is shitty and Crash 3 is meh meh meh.

Crash 2 is top top quality like SJ unlike Nocturne.

Yup. And considering how the gameplay of YW is not really the big pull for the IP(battle system kinda sucky) unless L5 is able to provide newer experience, YW is just going for deep deep decline from its golden age.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. But the PS4 had far and away the most 3rd party support of any system. Anything it didn't get was mainly little kids stuff (which MHW is not going to attract) and low budget portable games. There are a few DS/3DS gems that might have sold well on the PS4 but with it already crowded with so many 3rd party games, would people have jumped on them? I can see your point a bit, but it just sounded so funny to a lot of us. It was like if you had said:

"Publishers will see the success of _____, and be more interested in bringing anime VN games to the Vita"

or

"With the great sales off Call of Duty WWII, perhaps we will get more shooters on the Xbox One"

It's funny because these games are already there. I totally think MHW is great for Sony. It will bring up the baseline and many help the system do better YoY, but it already has all the 3rd parties in it's pocket and there is no indication that they are jumping ship fro the Switch. (to the exasperation of some on this board). It would be hard to get more 3rd party support without Nintendo going 3rd party.

It is often the problem of demographic. Nintendo platform is famous for attracting parents, female, and children demographics. It rarely makes sense to put some super niche game like VN which specifically target the teenager or young adult demographic especially if the gsme is even more niche like Yaoi or Otome genre.

While PS4 is on the opposite spectrum where teenagers especially males and young adult is its main audience. Thats why u rarely if ever will see game like Fab Style, Style Savvy or even Story of Seasons to pop out on PS4 as there are audience mismatch.(RF Ocean bombing is one of the example.)

Of course this time Switch is doing really well with the males and young adult demographic right now as we see how the Switch software all is doing gangbusters but it will be interesting to see if the usuall Nintendo platform audience will also follow the train this time.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Do those game which is publish by Ninty ever released on other platform though?

It's hard to give a clear answer to this, most of SE's games appear on either Nintendo or PlayStation and rarely both, or are late. I'm just stating that there is no reason to assume that if a game in published by Nintendo that it can't also be published by SE on a different platform.

vala

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh...
Stock prices going down

BN -4.82%
Capcom -6.23%
Konami -6.04%
Nintendo -6.12%
SE -6.42%
Sega -6.90%
Sony -4.78

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I hate pokken, I secrelty hope this success leads to a pokken 2 with a cool story mode and dlc characters that actually come out for the original system or whatever.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I mean... Dragon Quest Builders is out this week.

That's an interesting (at least to me, but I'm not as well versed in this discussion as you folks are) case because Nintendo is publishing a Square Enix release for a game that first appeared on another platform. I don't know all too many games that Nintendo published from a third party that weren't exclusive to a Nintendo platform first or permanently. Someone can jog my memory, though! :)

As much as I hate pokken, I secrelty hope this success leads to a pokken 2 with a cool story mode and dlc characters that actually come out for the original system or whatever.

It's funny you say this, Mory, because I'm actually loving and playing Pokken DX right now in my current game rotation (despite playing the Wii U game -- maybe because I'm actually somewhat competent in this Switch port? lol)! I'm with you, though, on a sequel and your wishes, regardless!

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Didn't I specifically say production value?

I think we already talked about it here twice (hard to make the search on mobile) but there's absolutely zero indication that SMTIII had a bigger budget than SMTIV whatsoever. Budget consideration do not stop at 2D vs 3D (especially as the former can cost more in some cases)

Just an example to show just how much the WiiU and the Switch are like night and day regarding their software sales.

Super Smash Bros Brawl sold 4 times better than Zelda TP on Wii. (2.315.401 vs 554.109)

Zelda BotW already outsold SSB WiiU. ( 834.968 vs 789.947)

Breath of the Wild is a great success but this comparaison is weird and doesn't make much sense when SSB 3DS exists sold >2M and you forget to mention it.

I would also argue that part of BOTW sales advantage compared to TP is due to BOTW appeal itself over TP (which was notably influenced by western trends)

Last edited:

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
splatoon 2 pushed a basically dead wii u

theres no doubt mh:w will push the ps4 and it needs to if it wants to get to 2m+, we see how dq performed but that had 3ds to compete with

mh is a bigger franchise now so by that virtue alone it'll have better legs

Status
Not open for further replies.