• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even convince myself it's good value and I'm a Nintendo fan. Maybe the day they add SNES games or something, I'll tell her.

I don't believe it's currently good value either, but there's nothing alien about the concept of a service that was once free now requires payment. I don't see what's hard to explain.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
She's not into games and doesn't know some consoles require you to pay to play online. All she knows is we didn't have to pay on PS3, 3DS, Wii U and now Switch for a year and a half. How do you explain the value when it's nonexistent? My job pays like shit and she's been a stay-at-home mom for eight months so we don't spend even $20 without justifying it. Having to justify paying $20 is maybe not that common for adults but it is for children. Kinda sucks when kids are such a crucial demographic for Nintendo.
then just don't get it?

and if it's a kid they don't need to justify anything. They're a kid

A 6 year old asks for something.
The parents are the ones who get together and see if Thing is worth it. cause they're the adults.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 29 and I may not have parents to try to convince that they need to pay for something that's always been free, but I have a wife and a joint bank account. I haven't even mentioned it to my wife because it's such a ridiculous situation that I don't know how to go about explaining it to her. I have no trouble at all seeing how young kids will be unable to convince their parents. Real shitty situation.

You can write her a poem?

My dearest wife
I swear on my life
I could have taken plenty
But I only took twenty
Please do forgive me.
On you I did not cheat
A man I did not beat
I did not steal, I did not kill
Please forgive me when you see the bill.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It's not supposed to sell like this. A lot of Wii (U) owners had a (3)DS as well.

It's ok for a home console/for the price. I personally expected more and I think it's disappointing that it isn't yet selling like a portable (bad for the market as well), but most people here see it as good thanks to it making much more money than the other systems did.
It is good to know that I was not just missunderstanding the graph. Hopefully this holiday will be stronger than the last one. This years Pokémon still feels like a wild card to me I have no idea how it will be perceived.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada

My dearest wife
I swear on my life
But I only took twenty
Please do forgive me.
On you I did not cheat
A man I did not beat
giphy6if5q.gif

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nirolak What is your take on Wild Arms Million Memories? The numbers/rankings are looking pretty low to me. Arc the Lad had a way better debut (not sure if it will keep getting good numbers tho, this month seems like the game had a bit of a drop, but maybe it's still doing well or there's an event coming up).

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Everytime I see this graph I am thinking that Switch is doing very poorly in Japan especially since it is supposed to replace both the handheld and the console.

Is that the consensus? Or what is the general view of Switch performance in Japan?

You might prefer this one then, compared the previous gen.

2018_10_11_15_58_08.jpg

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not following it very closely I am only saying it looks like that when you see that graph. I am not sure what your counter argument is though?

I guess the best counter is that SW is doing great?

There's not really any counter argument. It's behind the 3DS because it was a powerhouse the first years when it came to hardware, but had much lower SW sales in comparison.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My dearest wife
I swear on my life
But I only took twenty
Please do forgive me.
On you I did not cheat
A man I did not beat

She would probably point out there was no rhyme with "Please do forgive me" and ask for a divorce, but I like the idea.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Nirolak What is your take on Wild Arms Million Memories? The numbers/rankings are looking pretty low to me. Arc the Lad had a way better debut (not sure if it will keep getting good numbers tho, this month seems like the game had a bit of a drop, but maybe it's still doing well or there's an event coming up).
It started pretty low and just went lower. The reviews, while not too bad, are also not amazing. Probably not going to be a success.

Arc so far seems to be performing like a healthy mid-tier banner driven gacha game. If it stays where it is now for an entire month, that wouldn't be good, but it's went down into the 150 range to jump back into the top 20 before, which is pretty normal for games like this once people have the starting characters they want. For example, Quiz RPG back in the day was getting Top 10 performances by sitting in the 200 range and then going up to the Top 5-8 during banners.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It is good to know that I was not just missunderstanding the graph. Hopefully this holiday will be stronger than the last one. This years Pokémon still feels like a wild card to me I have no idea how it will be perceived.

It's still fairly early in the switches life time. For example the PSP which is tracking well below the switch finished over 20 million in life time sales, there's still time for the sales trajectory to change.

The 3DS is tracking ahead but had already received a huge price reduction by this stage of its life.

In the next 12-14 months the switch has a lot of things coming. Pokémon, smash, animal crossing, YW4, fire emblem etc. With a potential redesign or price cut we could see that sales curve change significantly. Up until now 2018 has been a fairly weak year so I'm not surprised it's sales haven't taken off just yet.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Everytime I see this graph I am thinking that Switch is doing very poorly in Japan especially since it is supposed to replace both the handheld and the console.

Is that the consensus? Or what is the general view of Switch performance in Japan?

It's hard to get a consensus because people have different barometers of success.

From a financial point of view it is hard to argue that the Switch is doing poorly, just check the yearly earnings. The combined sales of the WiiU and 3DS were a LOT higher than the Switch alone but Nintendo is making more money now.

From a "number of systems actually in households" it gets a bit more tricky.

The graph you quoted shows (launch aligned) the 5 highest selling consoles in recent history. If we add contemporary systems like the PS4, Vita, Xbox 1, PS3, 360 to the graph you would see that the Switch, time aligned, is significantly higher in sales. [can we get such a graph?] But what that means will depend on the reader.

Most important is the readers definitions of poor and good. If for example, someone thinks the PS4 is doing "good" then the Switch, which is selling more units launch aligned, is doing "better than good". If someone thinks the Switch is doing "very poor" they would also need to agree that the PS4 (in Japan) is doing "worse than very poor".

If the break even point for "success" is unit sales (not revenue) equaling PS2, DS, 3DS, Super Famicom, etc. then yes, the Switch is doing very poor.

That's why there is so much discussion in media create threads. We all have the same numbers, but varying expectations, viewpoints and bias.

I hope that helps.

EDIT: While I was writing this I see Hiska-kun put up a graph that connects to one of the things I was saying. Cheers.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I'm 29 and I may not have parents to try to convince that they need to pay for something that's always been free, but I have a wife and a joint bank account. I haven't even mentioned it to my wife because it's such a ridiculous situation that I don't know how to go about explaining it to her. I have no trouble at all seeing how young kids will be unable to convince their parents. Real shitty situation.
my friend, not gonna tell you how to live your life, but is you are losing sleep over 20$ a year. you likely have more problems than this

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Famitsu Sales: Week 40, 2018 (Oct 01 - Oct 07)

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|  NSW  |     46.590 |     43.197 |     38.425 |  1.809.107 |  1.847.008 |   5.216.265 |
| PS4 # |     13.548 |     20.520 |     25.398 |  1.231.266 |  1.416.694 |   7.088.129 |
| 3DS # |      6.376 |      6.651 |     23.406 |    446.863 |  1.407.303 |  24.185.407 |
| PSV # |      2.823 |      2.760 |      3.987 |    154.547 |    326.937 |   5.798.173 |
| XB1 # |        461 |        114 |        189 |     11.428 |      6.274 |      99.020 |
|  ALL  |     69.798 |     73.260 |     91.486 |  3.655.215 |  5.041.251 |  45.690.553 |
| XB1 X |        427 |         51 |            |      7.927 |            |      10.230 |
| XB1 S |         34 |         63 |        189 |      3.501 |      1.492 |      16.788 |
|PS4 Pro|      2.705 |      5.175 |      6.265 |    302.143 |    257.847 |     817.087 |
|  PS4  |     10.843 |     15.345 |     19.133 |    929.123 |  1.158.847 |   6.271.042 |
|  PSV  |      2.823 |      2.760 |      3.987 |    154.547 |    326.937 |   5.798.173 |
|n-2DSLL|      4.061 |      4.451 |     13.979 |    278.695 |    324.918 |     866.246 |
|  2DS  |        208 |        194 |      1.227 |     18.317 |    246.156 |     581.007 |
| n-3DS |      2.107 |      2.006 |      8.200 |    149.851 |    836.229 |   5.817.877 |

wiiu-dies-in-the-swamxdu1e.gif

f8fc130153829e600a3ee735e3e074bf.gif

Code:
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
| NSW | 43.197 | 36.751 | 74.500 | 1.762.517 | 1.808.583 | 5.169.675 |
| PS4 # | 20.520 | 17.299 | 34.564 | 1.217.718 | 1.391.296 | 7.074.581 |
| 3DS # | 6.651 | 6.788 | 20.680 | 440.487 | 1.383.897 | 24.179.031 |
| PSV # | 2.760 | 2.619 | 4.256 | 151.724 | 322.950 | 5.795.350 |
| XB1 # | 114 | 125 | 53 | 10.967 | 6.085 | 98.559 |
| WIU | 18 | 19 | 32 | 2.004 | 20.981 | 3.303.559 |

https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-39-2018-sep-24-sep-30.72505/

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It started pretty low and just went lower. The reviews, while not too bad, are also not amazing. Probably not going to be a success.

Arc so far seems to be performing like a healthy mid-tier banner driven gacha game. If it stays where it is now for an entire month, that wouldn't be good, but it's went down into the 150 range to jump back into the top 20 before, which is pretty normal for games like this once people have the starting characters they want. For example, Quiz RPG back in the day was getting Top 10 performances by sitting in the 200 range and then going up to the Top 5-8 during banners.
Oh yeah. That's what I was thinking for them. No hopes at all for Wild Arms, Arc the Lad can be a good mid-tier title, I'm just wondering it will stabilize as that or if it will go lower with smaller peaks, but considering reception seems to be good I guess the userbase has higher chances of keeping with it.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
You might prefer this one then, compared the previous gen.

2018_10_11_15_58_08.jpg

Thanks! You are great at providing these amazing graphs!
There's not really any counter argument. It's behind the 3DS because it was a powerhouse the first years when it came to hardware, but had much lower SW sales in comparison.

I thought 3DS did so poorly it's first year so it put Nintendo in panic mode with prize cuts and focusing all seems development on the system at the expense of the Wii u?

It's still fairly early in the switches life time. For example the PSP which is tracking well below the switch finished over 20 million in life time sales, there's still time for the sales trajectory to change.

The 3DS is tracking ahead but had already received a huge price reduction by this stage of its life.

In the next 12-14 months the switch has a lot of things coming. Pokémon, smash, animal crossing, YW4, fire emblem etc. With a potential redesign or price cut we could see that sales curve change significantly. Up until now 2018 has been a fairly weak year so I'm not surprised it's sales haven't taken off just yet.

Yeah I guess is is hard to have clear picture because of HW shortages in the beginning , no prize cut yet, no Pokémon etc..

It's hard to get a consensus because people have different barometers of success.

From a financial point of view it is hard to argue that the Switch is doing poorly, just check the yearly earnings. The combined sales of the WiiU and 3DS were a LOT higher than the Switch alone but Nintendo is making more money now.

From a "number of systems actually in households" it gets a bit more tricky.

The graph you quoted shows (launch aligned) the 5 highest selling consoles in recent history. If we add contemporary systems like the PS4, Vita, Xbox 1, PS3, 360 to the graph you would see that the Switch, time aligned, is significantly higher in sales. [can we get such a graph?] But what that means will depend on the reader.

Most important is the readers definitions of poor and good. If for example, someone thinks the PS4 is doing "good" then the Switch, which is selling more units launch aligned, is doing "better than good". If someone thinks the Switch is doing "very poor" they would also need to agree that the PS4 (in Japan) is doing "worse than very poor".

If the break even point for "success" is unit sales (not revenue) equaling PS2, DS, 3DS, Super Famicom, etc. then yes, the Switch is doing very poor.

That's why there is so much discussion in media create threads. We all have the same numbers, but varying expectations, viewpoints and bias.

I hope that helps.

EDIT: While I was writing this I see Hiska-kun put up a graph that connects to one of the things I was saying. Cheers.

Great information! This makes me understand it much better.

(And Hiska-Kun must have psychic abilities ;-) )

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. That's what I was thinking for them. No hopes at all for Wild Arms, Arc the Lad can be a good mid-tier title, I'm just wondering it will stabilize as that or if it will go lower with smaller peaks, but considering reception seems to be good I guess the userbase has higher chances of keeping with it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it drops somewhat over time, as least in terms of positional numbers. Those kinds of positions are hard to keep when so many high end games come out per year, with the market also growing heavily to boot.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wild Arms does not seems going to succeed at all if you ask me. Based on those who have played the game, they dont really have positive thing to talk about the game.

Arc da Lad does have the chance of becoming the most successful forward works mobage which not hard to do considering how many flop they have made.

However it remain to be seen if it will end up on the level of Star Ocean/Valkyria Profile mobage or something even lower than those.

I wouldn't be surprised if it drops somewhat over time, as least in terms of positional numbers. Those kinds of positions are hard to keep when so many high end games come out per year, with the market also growing heavily to boot.

Also, it seems recently Sega have been going full force into mobage market once more with that Gravity mobage and the new revolver. And based on what i see, i can see revolver probably doing as well as Chain Chronicle or Hortensia Saga there. The game seems to be oozing styles. The thing remain is whether Sega have learn a lot after tons of their games flop.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it seems recently Sega have been going full force into mobage market once more with that Gravity mobage and the new revolver. And based on what i see, i can see revolver probably doing as well as Chain Chronicle or Hortensia Saga there. The game seems to be oozing styles. The thing remain is whether Sega have learn a lot after tons of their games flop.
ehh. Do you think so? Looks pretty generic to me in-gameplay itself. Sega isn't doing that well for some time already and I don't have a lot of hope for these new releases.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ehh. Do you think so? Looks pretty generic to me in-gameplay itself. Sega isn't doing that well for some time already and I don't have a lot of hope for these new releases.

Actually based on the trailer, i feel the artist art looks good and the ingame character especially feels and looks really good as it does not feel budget at all.

The problem probably will be gameplay. It will be interesting to see if those part will be its biggest pit fall or not.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's not supposed to sell like this. A lot of Wii (U) owners had a (3)DS as well.

It's ok for a home console/for the price. I personally expected more and I think it's disappointing that it isn't yet selling like a portable (bad for the market as well), but most people here see it as good thanks to it making much more money than the other systems did.
Also due to the fact that it is selling approximately the same amounts of software as the 3DS was launch aligned despite the hardware sales differential.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I am not following it very closely I am only saying it looks like that when you see that graph. I am not sure what your counter argument is though?

I guess the best counter is that SW is doing great?
I mean, that's the most important part of the market, so yeah, that's a great counterpoint. You should also note that 3ds sold this well due to a massive price cut 5 months after launch, which is a trump card Switch still has in its arsenal.

Edit: and with regards to the WII, its sales were incredibly frontloaded in Japan. So much so, in fact, that Switch will pass it this holiday despite being a million behind and will leave the WII in the dust afterwards. So, Switch isn't going to end up behind WII or anything, as one could possibly think on the basis of that graph. Just wanted to make that clear as well, since I've read a comment saying Switch is doing "ok for a home console", which is not true: it's doing amazing for a console, and ok for a handheld (disregarding price considerations).

Last edited:

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
I remember hearing like 200k total sales around last year when the new model came out? At the very least I personally don't think we're past 300k units.
Yeah, 217K total units as of October 2017.
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20020477.html
・2017年10月9日~10月15日の週間ソフト&ハードセルスルーランキング
・新モデルが発売された「PlayStation VR」は2.7万台を販売し、国内販売台数の累計は21.7万台となった

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought 3DS did so poorly it's first year so it put Nintendo in panic mode with prize cuts and focusing all seems development on the system at the expense of the Wii u?

Not to that extent in Japan, that situation was more representative of the western situation. We're talking about a system that sold close to 1/3rd of its total hardware solely in Japan.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
I still predict that the switch will outsell the ps4 ltd by end of year.
I know that they dont target the same demographic, but I enjoy talking about this so...

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
By telling her the Nintendo Online Subscription is valued at 20 dollars a year.

Children asking their parents to pay something for them has become a LOT more prevalent in this day and age than when we were kids. Just saying. One of my old school friends has a blue collar job and he says his son needs him to pay for a Battle Pass on Fortnite every so often, and that's been a talking point among peers.

Not only that. But children have always been shameless when asking for parents to buy them stuff. They don't actually care about what their parent thinks about the question, just getting a yes and or what retort to use when getting a no.

It's the price of a movie at a theatre, about a third the price of a game, half the price of a CD, and a quarter what I spent having dinner and drinks with my friend on Sunday.

Having to pay for it is really shitty, but it is not so expensive that it needs to be budgeted for or discussed about for an adult.

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, Mario 64 sold about 161k the first week (Famitsu numbers) :P

The Mario 64 comparison by that one guy was never about sales though, so i dont think anyone expected similar sales performance. It was just about the gameplay itself. After playing the game myself, i definitelly see why he felt this way. Even after playing Moss (also a 3D platformer for PSVR), Astrobot is a great experience, in my opinion.
Thank you for your reply! And yeah I was being cheeky :D
That said I really want to experience the game for myself. Hell I was impressed just by Minecraft on Vive...

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Why are people responding to PS4 sales so negatively? It's over 4 years old, should we be expecting higher sales?

Im also curious. I dont know what people are expecting, but i think the console isnt doing that bad when you look at the lifespan. Selling 30-50% compared to the relatively new Nintendo console in Japan isnt that big of a gap imo. They both should have solid numbers that are also relatively robust.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know what PSVR sales are in Japan?

I remember hearing like 200k total sales around last year when the new model came out? At the very least I personally don't think we're past 300k units.

By the end of 2017

PS VR - 336.699

From MC white book.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...-02-2017-dec-31-new-used.66944/#post-12338879

Last edited:

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Im also curious. I dont know what people are expecting, but i think the console isnt doing that bad when you look at the lifespan. Selling 30-50% compared to the relatively new Nintendo console in Japan isnt that big of a gap imo. They both should have solid numbers that are also relatively robust.

The focus in this thread bizarely enough lies on the "concerning" Switch sales, which at worst sells at PS2 levels, and not PS4. Sub 14k for a console simply isn't healthy and unlike in the past years there is no other Sony system/still relevant handheld to compensate these bad sales.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
Saying that the ps4 is not selling badly for a system 4 years old are missing the point. The ps4 never really sold much better earlier in its lifespan.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
The focus in this thread bizarely enough lies on the "concerning" Switch sales, which at worst sells at PS2 levels, and not PS4. Sub 14k for a console simply isn't healthy and unlike in the past years there is no other Sony system/still relevant handheld to compensate these bad sales.

When you consider the circumstances i think its doing ok. They compensate it probably ww and due general growth of the whole industry.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Call me old fashioned, but it's two weeks lunch money.

Damn, I'm lucky if going out to lunch costs under $30/person here, not talking fast food, but a normal restaurant lunch is definitely over $20, even going to the deli getting a sandwich and drink is over $10 now. It's not uncommon for a single pizza to be around $20 now as well, prices just keep rising.

Anyway, I wonder if the comments about Switch not selling like a portable are because portables don't sell like portables anymore in general. Have we really seen any portable sustain significantly stronger long-term averages of 75-100k sales / week or so in Japan since mobile has made such a huge impact in portable gaming? Even going back to 2014, random weeks of 3DS hardware are selling in the 25-40k range, not much different than Switch.