• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
To be fair, its a budget title. They have showed it off several of times, most recently in the State of Play episode a month ago or so if i remember correctly. Its easy to have missed it if one havnt watched those.
Yeah it makes sense it's not widely known on here. If it was switch exclusive it more likely would be as this thread is mostly Nintendo fans.

It's got user reviews of 8.2 so it seems the players who've got it are enjoying the game.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Concrete Genie would be lucky to debut at no.5 with the lack of marketing. The Japanese no longer care about the PS4 and are waiting for the arrival of next-generation. They want no load times.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
All marketing failures lie squarely on the marketer. It is not the markets job to seek out information on a product that the marketer did not properly market.

For the record, I too watched SoP (even though it was without subtitles or dubbing), and remember it, but was not interested.

People were, however, saying they forgot it existed. That's what seemed to most odd to me.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's true though. If a game comes on a platform you own or like you're more likely to know about it. I don't have a switch and there's often games people talk about I've not heard of or at least haven't seen.

I never heard of Concrete Genie and tbh I didnt see much of anybody here talking about it. I don't really think its a Nintendo fan thing. I knoww about the majority of even modestly talked about titles across all systems. This one just flew under the radar for whatever reason.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I never heard of Concrete Genie and tbh I didnt see much of anybody here talking about it. I don't really think its a Nintendo fan thing. I knoww about the majority of even modestly talked about titles across all systems. This one just flew under the radar for whatever reason.
It's the kind of title I wouldn't buy and I only know about it because it's on the ps4 and Sony promote it every now and then. That's my viewpoint anyway.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
What is the japanese title for Concrete Genie by the way? I see there is some katakana on the cover, but that doesnt spell neither "concrete" or "genie" from what i can see.

I unfortunately watched all of the SoP that CG appeared in and you can add me to the list of people who struggle to remember that it exists. It was poorly marketed IMO.
Just wondering, why was it unfortunate that you watched the episodes? But yeah, the game wasnt marketed that much.

concrete genie wasn't in the same SoP as tlou2. it was in the first SoP (in march), but not in the second or third.
Damn, i thought it was showed off in State of Play about a month ago, hehe. I do remember seeing it in a SoP, and it doesnt feel that long ago. I guess time goes fast.

who the fuck gives a shit about concrete genie, a digital only game on PS4, in a media create thread

EDIT: hold up, it had a physical release? talk about sending a game to die damn
Well, getting a physical release does at least give it exposure on the store shelfs :) And many smaller titles gets a physical release, so that itself doesnt necessarily mean too much (unless i misunderstanding what you mean?).

Yeah it makes sense it's not widely known on here. If it was switch exclusive it more likely would be as this thread is mostly Nintendo fans.

It's got user reviews of 8.2 so it seems the players who've got it are enjoying the game.
To be fair, there have been smaller games from Nintendo too that i wouldnt be too surprised if people forgot about or maybe even heard about. Games like Codename S.T.E.A.M and Sushi Striker for example. With so many games being announced and released, its easy to forget or miss some of them, 1st party or 3rd party.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's the kind of title I wouldn't buy and I only know about it because it's on the ps4 and Sony promote it every now and then. That's my viewpoint anyway.

I mostly learn about games through Era tbh. So if people here aren't talking about it then I'm likely to miss it. Which tbh, people here hype the smallest weirdest shit so to just have never heard of a game period even by name just feels weird. I dont watch SoP though. (Though tbf I normally dont watch any conferences, I just look at highlights)

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, getting a physical release does at least give it exposure on the store shelfs :) And many smaller titles gets a physical release, so that itself doesnt necessarily mean too much (unless i misunderstanding what you mean?).

It's just that with how absent the marketing around this first party title was, I assumed it was a digital only title.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
What is the japanese title for Concrete Genie by the way? I see there is some katakana on the cover, but that doesnt spell neither "concrete" or "genie" from what i can see.

Just wondering, why was it unfortunate that you watched the episodes? But yeah, the game wasnt marketed that much.

Damn, i thought it was showed off in State of Play about a month ago, hehe. I do remember seeing it in a SoP, and it doesnt feel that long ago. I guess time goes fast.

To be fair, there have been smaller games from Nintendo too that i wouldnt be too surprised if people forgot about or maybe even heard about. Games like Codename S.T.E.A.M and Sushi Striker for example. With so many games being announced and released, its easy to forget or miss some of them, 1st party or 3rd party.
I wasn't on gaf when that launched but I read these threads and in fairness codename STEAM became a meme so we all remember it! But yes your point is valid.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Ryza Switch selling %50 of PS4 total makes definitely worth the investment. The fact that are both JRPGs released on the same day make Ryza and Ys IX very interesting to watch.

Probably the last time we see DxM in the charts. I was expect the DLC cards for Iceborne to disappear though as well. Amazing result.

Speaking of resilience. Splatoon has survived Nintendo Online, Fortnite and high taxes. If it survives despite not receiving anymore updates the game will be eternal. They should definitely stick to one a gen like the big boys.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I didn't expect a MC thread of all places to spend more than a page getting angry about that game lol.

In other news...

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
So, the new Brain Training game is the first Switch 1st-party game not to get a worldwide simultaneous release (not counting the first Labo Kits, due to logistics).

They really wanted those New Year sales in Japan, heh.

Edit: Europe is digital-only. Yeah, don't understand the lack of simultaneous release then.

Last edited:

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

See these types of posts, which you lapse into every once and a while, is why I'm not at all convinced you're as innocent and naive as you act.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
So, the new Brain Training game is the first Switch 1st-party game not to get a worldwide simultaneous release (not counting the first Labo Kits, due to logistics).

They really wanted those New Year sales in Japan, heh.

Edit: Europe is digital-only. Yeah, don't understand the lack of simultaneous release then.

But...it isn't :P

unknown.png

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Go say that to the official website ;)

I mean, that's the official UK trailer, it's not our fault if whoever made the official website made such a mistake :P
The trailer doesn't state a delayed retail release either.

EDIT: Actually, straight from the Nintendo UK page

Enjoy new exercises, some of them making use of the right Joy-Con's IR Motion Camera*, or tap and train with classic exercises from past Brain Training games that you can play using a stylus (included with the packaged version from retail stores) or your finger. It's in your hands!

The retail release is mentioned.

Yahabane

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 29, 2019
See these types of posts, which you lapse into every once and a while, is why I'm not at all convinced you're as innocent and naive as you act.

I wonder if you'll get banned if you were to try the same thing as Kerotan in NPD threads, but mocking the PlayStation instead. Also being extremely happy whenever PS4 lose its exclusives and openly declaring yourself to be a huge Nintendo-only/Xbox-only fan that will never pick up a PS4 for personal reasons. I wonder if people there would be as lenient.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2019 (Sep 30 - Oct 06)

01./01. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S - Definitive Edition # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2019.09.27} (¥7.980)
02./00. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Breakpoint # <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2019.10.04} (¥8.400)
03./07. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne Master Edition <Monster Hunter: World \ Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne> # <ACT> (Capcom) {2019.09.06} (¥6.990)
04./04. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2019.09.20} (¥5.980)
05./02. [PS4] Code Vein # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.09.26} (¥8.200)
06./00. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
07./10. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.06.28} (¥5.980)
08./00. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
09./06. [PS4] FIFA 20 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2019.09.27} (¥7.727)
10./00. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)

Top 10

NSW - 6
PS4 - 4

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It's just that with how absent the marketing around this first party title was, I assumed it was a digital only title.
Ah ok, i see. I thought maybe you ment that it was more sent out to die because it had a physical release as well.

I wasn't on gaf when that launched but I read these threads and in fairness codename STEAM became a meme so we all remember it! But yes your point is valid.
Hehe, well, sure, but its one of those titles that could go under the radar for many people :)

Because I was decently excited for it and it ended up being a complete bore and set the tone for the future really.
Understood. I think its fine enough since they do usually announce new games there, or at least show of new footage from already announced games.

Can we please move on? It's hardly interesting and no one cares.

Chris1964, how much wide might be the shipment of the Tsum Tsum Switch edition?
Well, there were a number of replies, so people did care to some degree to reply at least hehe :P =) But yeah, i think everyone have said what they wanted to say, so we can move on talking about something else :)

Shipment for limited editions are usually around 20k-30k if i'm not mistaken. I'm not sure about Tsum Tsum bundle in specific however.

They did not show it off in their latest state of play
Yeah, i adressed it in post #361 :) I thought i saw it recently, but time goes fast, so it was shown a longer time since i remembered.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Concrete Genie has reviewed well though I doubt it will sell that much in Japan.

It's a 30$ , can see people buying digitally

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Not that expectations for PS5 in Japan are high but Sony playing the announcement card so early will impact PS4 sales, especially next year. They might have to run an even more aggressive holiday campaign than 2018 for maintaining a respectable level of sales.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't expect a MC thread of all places to spend more than a page getting angry about that game lol.

In other news...

Really would have thought they'd have put out a 1+2 collection on Switch by now, since they've been doing twitter teases for ages. Might just be a BD3 that materialises eventually, though I have nfi what the development situation is like at Silicon Studio's now spun-off game division.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
what's the expected sales for YW1 on switch?

Sub-10k?

Speaking of resilience. Splatoon has survived Nintendo Online, Fortnite and high taxes. If it survives despite not receiving anymore updates the game will be eternal. They should definitely stick to one a gen like the big boys.

Splatoon is big on the merchandising side. They should definitely try another game, perhaps a spin-off---either a single player action/adventure game (Nintendo is good in doing them) or a battle royale online game.

Bravely Default is definitely one of the worst managed Japanese franchises of the past years. Game sells 400k units across all versions and Square Enix greenlites a low-budget sequel and a mobile spin-off.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Bravely Default is definitely one of the worst managed Japanese franchises of the past years. Game sells 400k units across all versions and Square Enix greenlites a low-budget sequel and a mobile spin-off.

Kinda the same for the Octopath team. Created a solid successful game, had to make a mobile prequel/sequel/spinoff and then this Apple Arcade game.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Anyway switch lite performance gives me hope next gen Nintendo will bring again an Hybrid console

The only possible way for Nintendo not to release a hybrid after Switch is that they're dropping out of console market altogether. Hybrid is both the logical evolution of their previously separated home and handheld HW, but also the final one. There really isn't any future for a home or handheld only console, unless it's an additional model for a hybrid.

First Day Sell-through {2019.10.10}

[NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival # (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.100) - 30%
[NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Nintendo Switch Disney Tsum Tsum Festival Set) (Nintendo) (¥36.080) - Selling better than expected

[NSW] [PS4] The Alliance Alive HD Remastered (FuRyu) (¥6.280) - 20%

Well at least if Tsum Tsum pulls a Fishing Spirits, there'll be enough stock to avoid shortages. Curious what expectations for the bundle were in the first place.
FuRyu gonna FuRyu, sadly.

Nintendo Switch Game Card is down there (maybe it wasn't before, or you were talking about another page)

Ah yes, it was added later. Thanks!

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Got a link for me? I seem to have missed this.

'Everyone waiting for a new game on console, we're sorry, but production will take a little while longer, so in the meantime, we hope you can enjoy [the smartphone game].'

I'd say that they learnt from their mistakes with BD. With Octopath they are pushing multiple projects to keep awareness around the franchise high while taking their time to make a worthy sequel.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

I'd say that they learnt from their mistakes with BD. With Octopath they are pushing multiple projects to keep awareness around the franchise high while taking their time to make a worthy sequel.

Well that tweet doesn't really help me, Google Translate's gibberish at least. ;D

Both were produced by Asano's team at Square Enix. The external developers were different, though (as you say Silicon for BD, Acquire for Octopath).
all of these games are managed by the same staff at SE, the development studios are just different
Okay okay, got that wrong then. ^^