• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Sony won''t risk a permanent PS4 price drop (especially in Japan where circumstances for PS5 are even worse than PS4) when PS5 is coming and is heading for a very expensive initial price. They have been doing deals all year, they will have another big one for holidays like last December.

This scenario has been speculated for months and it's followed so far.
That could well be true. Do you reckon they'll cut the price permanently post ps5 launch or release a 7nm super slim?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Sony will lower the price permanently on the PS4 until after the PS5 is out. I'm almost positive they won't bother with an Ultra Slim or a Pro in a Slim body or anything like that. I think what has been released is all that there is.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Sony will lower the price permanently on the PS4 until after the PS5 is out. I'm almost positive they won't bother with an Ultra Slim or a Pro in a Slim body or anything like that. I think what has been released is all that there is.
Sony will phase out the 4 quickly since the 5 is fully backwards compatible. There's no need to keep it on the market as a cheaper solution

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very good number for Switch, given this was both the week right after VAT and after DQXIS's launch. As said by multiple people, so far the Lite has been helping overall sales, with no cannibalization effect for the regular model, which is probably what Nintendo is aiming at with the new model.

DQXIS drop is... Higher than what I hoped for, but probably this is also due to VAT increase: bigger sales the week right before the increase (purchases brought forward) resulting in stronger WOW decreases the week after it happens.

I'm quite curious to see if Disney Tsum Tsum Festival can go higher than expected, between the solo SKU and the regular Switch bundle: not expecting anything great (around 30k at launch, I believe...?) , but it may still surprise somewhat.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Of course there is a need if the PS5 launches at an expensive price.

The PS2 sales stayed relevant for a long time after the PS3 launch.
They won't keep 3 different skus

Either the pro vanishes or the base or both.

In the past when fully backwards compatible systems came out, the previous one's sales cratered (gbc-> gba, gba -> ds, ds -> 3ds to name a few)

Edit : ps3 had wonky ps2 support 6 months in and none after about a year and half.

Also the PS2 had a super slim model retailing for 79$ going on sale for 49$

PS4 won't have any of that

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
They will want to keep a fairly high priced PS4 (probably the pro) on the market for a while to make the PS5's expensive price look more competitive.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
They won't keep 3 different skus

Either the pro vanishes or the base or both.

In the past when fully backwards compatible systems came out, the previous one's sales cratered (gbc-> gba, gba -> ds, ds -> 3ds to name a few)
Those were not expensive consoles. When your next console is probably around 50.000 yens, you need another product for the mainstream market.

I could see the Pro being phased out in order to have two value proposal with the Slim and the PS5 tho (or Pro gets a price drop and the Slim gets phased out).

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Those were not expensive consoles. When your next console is probably around 50.000 yens, you need another product for the mainstream market.

I could see the Pro being phased out in order to have two value proposal with the Slim and the PS5 tho (or Pro gets a price drop and the Slim gets phased out).
If Sony could have significantly lowered the price of entry they would have done so by this point.

It makes no sense for them to hinder their PS5 sales by keeping a strongly declining system on shelves to compete with it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony could have significantly lowered the price of entry they would have done so by this point.

It makes no sense for them to hinder their PS5 sales by keeping a strongly declining system on shelves to compete with it.
They don't really compete if they are adressing two different markets. People buying a PS4 now wont be the same buying a PS5 at launch.

I just dont see the PS4 being phased down fastly if the PS5 launches at 50.000 yens.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I mean, currently Sony is making 5k yen more off each Japanese slim PS4 sold than in the US. They are selling 500 GB models but they are priced like 1 TB models. At the very least, Sony needs to permanently put the Japanese prices at level with the US prices, either by lowering the price of the 500 GB model or just phasing the 500 GB out and selling the 1 TB at the current 500 GB price.

Selling the 1TB model which is the standard everywhere else in the world at a 35k yen price is just absurd. That needs to end.

Like just checking out Amazon UK, here's a 500 GB PS4 plus a full price popular game (FIFA 20) for 183 British Sterling (without VAT).

xM2BrYT.png

That's less than 25k yen for a PS4 and a game. When has Japan gotten anything even remotely close to that? Why is Sony being so greedy in Japan when it actually has good deals elsewhere around the world? Why was the MHW bundle not 25k yen MSRP to match this FIFA bundle?

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, currently Sony is making 5k yen more off each Japanese slim PS4 sold than in the US. They are selling 500 GB models but they are priced like 1 TB models. At the very least, Sony needs to permanently put the Japanese prices at level with the US prices, either by lowering the price of the 500 GB model or just phasing the 500 GB out and selling the 1 TB at the current 500 GB price.

Selling the 1TB model which is the standard everywhere else in the world at a 35k yen price is just absurd. That needs to end.
Wholesale they pay the same price for a 500gb or a 1tb hdd

Probably more.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
Couple things...

Im a little surprised to see how close the sales ration is between Switch OG to Lite. Looks like roghly a 5:4 ratio.
Happy to see that the Switch OG is still selling the primary seller, hope it continues in the fashion.

The other thing, will DQ11 S break the 1M mark?
Sales seem to be tapering off quite substantially. Granted its a bit early too.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Switch Lite having stock issues? I'm legitimately surprised that the base model is continuing to sell better.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Switch Lite having stock issues? I'm legitimately surprised that the base model is continuing to sell better.

The Lite is more aimed at children and the lower budget crowd who will be a lot more active around the holiday season. It'll definitely be outselling the base model then. But for the rest of the year it seems the market prefers the value proposition of the OG Switch.

The impressive thing though is that they do seem to be addressing two separate and additive markets, so sales of either model aren't (yet) eating into the other, which is extremely important.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The PS2 sales stayed relevant for a long time after the PS3 launch.
PS3 was an expensive disaster, at the same time PS2 was tiny (cheap shipping) and $50. PS2 ended up selling 1/3 its lifetime sales after the next generation started as a result. PS4 ain't selling another 60 million after the PS5 is out.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Sony will phase out the 4 quickly since the 5 is fully backwards compatible. There's no need to keep it on the market as a cheaper solution
That definitely wont happen, PS5 will launch at $499 minimum, possibly higher. They will likely officially drop the price of PS4 to $250 (with many stores constantly selling it on "sale" for $200) and keep selling it as an alternative. I doubt there will be many big true exclusives until year 2 or 3 of PS5.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
Hence why I believe they will just keep the Pro if they keep anything

Why would you keep an expensive to build PS4 Pro when you will have a way more powerful 55k PS5 for the enthusiasts? I see a cheaper PS4 1TB SKU priced permanently at 25k being available from next year on to have a cheaper entry-level point for non-enthusiast consumers.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

This is the opposite of what Sony will do.
Late gen buyers are budget buyers and Sony wants them to have the option to purchase a PS4. Sony likes long tales and broad penetration with their consoles.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
That definitely wont happen, PS5 will launch at $499 minimum, possibly higher. They will likely officially drop the price of PS4 to $250 (with many stores constantly selling it on "sale" for $200) and keep selling it as an alternative. I doubt there will be many big true exclusives until year 2 or 3 of PS5.

Your prices are not correct, not even the correct currency.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever was worried about YS IX not being at the top 10, it's just at #11, hanging there with 7461 copies.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Ok, the PS5 will be at least 53,799 yen, and they will keep a 26,900 yen PS4 available to purchase, you happy?

Yes, thank you. I don't think they will reduce the price of the PS4 though, I think they will keep it around ¥32,000. With such a large price gap between the two consoles they don't really have to worry about market overlap.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you keep an expensive to build PS4 Pro when you will have a way more powerful 55k PS5 for the enthusiasts? I see a cheaper PS4 1TB SKU priced permanently at 25k being available from next year on to have a cheaper entry-level point for non-enthusiast consumers.
This is the opposite of what Sony will do.
Late gen buyers are budget buyers and Sony wants them to have the option to purchase a PS4. Sony likes long tales and broad penetration with their consoles.
None of that materialized with the GBA and the DS. They were both quickly forgotten once their fully backwards compatible alternative came out.

I don't think a massively down PS4 will have much wind left past 2021 so my guess is by march 2022 the Ps4 will be an old story.

Remember, the PS5 is coming out 7 years after the PS4, I don'T believe there are 3 years left in it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
None of that materialized with the GBA and the DS. They were both quickly forgotten once their fully backwards compatible alternative came out.

I don't think a massively down PS4 will have much wind left past 2021 so my guess is by march 2022 the Ps4 will be an old story.

Remember, the PS5 is coming out 7 years after the PS4, I don'T believe there are 3 years left in it.

It's almost as if Nintendo and Sony are the opposite when it comes to gen transitions

Sony has a much wider distribution net than Nintendo, hence they can reach more price sensitive markets. Additionally their base consumes yearly franchises like sports games and cod which continue to release for legacy systems for a while.

Using Nintendo for what Sony will do is a terrible argument. Nintendo transitions quickly as their systems are driven by first party software.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, thank you. I don't think they will reduce the price of the PS4 though, I think they will keep it around ¥32,000. With such a large price gap between the two consoles they don't really have to worry about market overlap.
Wii U never had a permanent cut either, even when it was in last place before the Switch came out.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think the comparison stands. The transition between two cheap portable systems 10 plus years ago is not going to tell us that much about how Sony will handle the next PS4 to PS5 one. The current PS4 is going to let you play Fornite, watch Netflix and keep playing most Japanese games releasing in 2021, even early 2022. That holds value but less so when the Switch is on par price-wise, that's why I can see a cheaper SKU(which globally speaking makes total sense to build) being available around 25k in Japan.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's almost as if Nintendo and Sony are the opposite when it comes to gen transitions
They're not the opposite, but haven't been similar or a while. Famicom/NES and SuFami/SNES got smaller revisions and lived on after their successors, no Nintendo consoles really have since, apart from the stillborn Wii Mini. Even handhelds only got premium price increased editions late, like the GB Micro and DSi XL. Maybe 2DS XLs sort of count.

Sony has only had one other transition where the last system was still an expensive build at the end - PS3 to PS4. And PS3 sales faded very quickly because the price could not be brought down much.

PSOne and PS2 Slim were tiny cheap boxes made entirely with Sony parts in Sony factories that could be sold for peanuts for kids and casuals and more price sensitive poorer countries. They also had late-gen casual megahits that drove their sales (Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero)

A $250 old PS4 isn't the same thing, it's a lot more like PS3 than PS1/2.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless Nintendo truly screw up, Japan will be a safe haven for them next gen. PS5 will probably have the same western focused strategy so it won't appeal to japanese crowd that much. Nintendo should have Switch 2 ready by 2022 at most. 5.5 years old life cycle for Switch isn't that bad and if they make something between PS4/PS5 hardware level, they'll be able to compete for the market leadership this time.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Unless Nintendo truly screw up, Japan will be a safe haven for them next gen. PS5 will probably have the same western focused strategy so it won't appeal to japanese crowd that much. Nintendo should have Switch 2 ready by 2022 at most. 5.5 years old life cycle for Switch isn't that bad and if they make something between PS4/PS5 hardware level, they'll be able to compete for the market leadership this time.
I think 2022 might be too early software-wise.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I think 2022 might be too early software-wise.
Not if it's fully backwards compatible

Which it would be. Nintendo said they wanted a long lifespan through rapid iterations (not as fast as phones but faster than Sony's/Microsoft's 7 years cycle)

The jump for Nintendo won't be as big this time and their partners will have 7 years of unported PS4 games to bring. Capcom will be delighted

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Which it would be. Nintendo said they wanted a long lifespan through rapid iterations (not as fast as phones but faster than Sony's/Microsoft's 7 years cycle)

The jump for Nintendo won't be as big this time and their partners will have 7 years of unported PS4 games to bring. Capcom will be delighted
Capcom will have a new system to port DMC2 for. This time it will be $60.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Even with Switch BC I'm expecting the teams from Switch year one to drop new stuff by 2021, which makes me question how big a 2022 lineup could be.