• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Dengeki:

Disney Tsum Tsum Festival: 40% sell-through.

Fiscal Year (April 1st to September 29th)

Nintendo #1 publisher. Market share: 30.3% > 32.3%
  • Super Mario Maker 2 (600 000 units sold)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (300 000 units sold)
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses (270 000 units sold)
Other publishers
  • 2) Bandai-Namco. Tsuri Spirits Nintendo Switch Version (190 000 units sold)
  • 3) Square-Enix (Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition), up Year on Year
  • 4) Konami (sports games), up Year on Year
  • 5) Capcom (Monster Hunter World: Iceborn, 350 000 units and 2nd best-selling game). Dengeki would really, really like to remind you once more that they estimate MHW: Iceborn digital sales at 1.2m so Capcom would actually be 2nd with 18.8% market share if they counted digital sales (because only that game was sold digitally this Fiscal Year ;D)
Sony and Microsoft dropped from Top 5 due to a lack of major titles.

The Pokémon Company guaranteed to see big increase thanks to Pokémon Sword and Shield.

Sep 14, 2019
How much would Okami 2 sell as a PS5/Scarlett/PC game (because Capcom)
Maybe I'm going too far but I legit feel like, similar to Mega Man 11, Capcom would probably make Okami 2 as a Switch game.

Unlike Monster Hunter no single-sku ever really sold enough to warrant a big budget game. They'd probably make it low budget enough that even they would see the obvious Switch port.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
PS4 Digital Ranking. A lot different this time around as CoD, P5R, and DS all move up, though Iceborne still reigns as king. Also wow that's a lot of people dropping 10k yen for Apex Legends microtransactions.

1. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare
3. Persona 5 Royal Digital Deluxe
4. Death Stranding Digital Deluxe
5. Ghost Recon: Breakpoint
6. Call of Duty Modern Wafare Enhanced Edition
7. World War Z
8. Death Stranding
9. Code Vein
10. Persona 5 Royal
11. Dragon Quest X Expansion
12. Call of Duty Modern Warfare Operator Edition
13. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Digital Deluxe
14. Code Vein Deluxe Edition
15. Monster Hunter World Iceborne Master Edition
16. Atelier Ryza Digital Deluxe
17. Apex Legends 11,500 coins
18. Atelier Ryza

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Do we have any preditions on the FW sales of Ring Fit ? (from official sources and users, I legit have no clue how much it will sell in Japan, whereas in the west I expect it to easily cross the 1M mark)

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'll predict 90k first week for Ring Fit. It seems to be doing very well right now and I think it'll have a big weekend push as well. Though if it has a higher shipment I could see it doing well beyond that.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
I think Ring Fit will be a bit below 100k, so like 80-90k. I expect it to be pretty leggy as well.

Capcom: why yes Stealthyfrog, we would love to re-release Okami on PS5, Scarlett and PC

Stealthyfrog; but I asked about a seq-

Capcom: You will buy the re-release and like it

QFT. Also off-topic but I love your avatar.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
High price and no vouchers is a negative factor for Ring Fit Adventure legs.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
First Day Sell-through {2019.10.17}

[NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town <SLG> (Marvelous) (¥5.800) - 60%

[NSW] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥6.480) - 50%

[NSW] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's Memory <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.980) - 30%

Poor Digimon. Though those PSP/PSV games would be sort of a reinvigorating of sorts for the brand.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
News are... so nowhere to be seen since the last direct. I feel like all I see is "this switch game looks bad" or Pokemon news (and both together of course).
I never seen anyone disparage Xenoblade X for the localization outside of a small group on the internet.

as for the potential TMS base, they'd turn their back on them because they're small. the people who'll not buy the game because of the changes are not the people nintendo wants nor do they see them as worth courting.
Isn't it normal.
Most people play their own languages versions or the one they understand a available. And in the smaller group of people who know several language you have to find those who try different versions and then you have some who don't care about any change in the script whatsoever, so yeah, it can't be something else than a small group.

Honestly I just can't appreciate characters or scenes when what they say is far too different between versions.
The tone is one thing, the wording is another, but really sometimes it even changes the whole "mood" of the character and from one version to another it's like watching 2 completely different characters.

I'm not a Japanese language fanatic either as I love some English voices, but in western games.

I know I'm part of minority in a minority but I gave some japanese lesson to a friend who didn't care about it before. And now that he understands basic Japanese, he can't go back. And he's... not the type who follow other people for no reason. He makes his own mind. So... there is "something".

It's really a matter of caring or noticing.

Anyway, sorry for the essay : D, I mentioned Ace Attorney for that reason, as a joke because some localisations would do anything to a point where it makes no sense anymore, to make their "adaptations" sometimes... often.

And, it's cool, since that's what people like and maybe, maybe, that's even the right thing to do.

Now who's to say which language is objectively better to use for which product...

I heard some parts (not costumes) were just removed from #FE, so it might not just be what some people describe as "tasteful change" or something. Funny how it kinda also means that Japanese have no taste since they never get the "censored versions"

Ha... I talk a lot about something I don't really relate to lol (the censorship part, I care about the translation part a bit more). Feel free to not mind much, it's just random thoughts, I'm not complaining or anything. Merely vague observation. You're the poor person who just met this old guy suddenly telling you his whole life in the street. = )

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
We could see a 20k+ opening for Witcher 3.
That'd be huge! OG release launch for comparison:

01./00. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2015.05.21} (¥8.856) - 67.458 / NEW <80-100%>

Though note that it seems to have sold out at launch on PS4: it had a 90% sell-through after the first day, and sell-through was at 93% for the first week (I assume with some restocks).

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This week the market is recovering from weekend's typhoon and Monday was national holiday, at least Switch should see a bump for everything.

Pokemon Lite is coming out next week and pre-orders for it aren't small so Lite might be kept a little behing comparing to OG model.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the Pokemon Lite's week...while Mario & Sonic's potential can still be big, there are high chances we're going to have to wait to see its full potential. By that, I mean its first week sales might not be as high as we might've officially predicted, looking at the quality of the game itself: the game is currently hovering around 150th - 200th on Amazon.co.jp; closer to the former right now, and it comes out in exactly two weeks.

At the same time, this is a game oriented at casual players, so it's probably going to enjoy a sharp preorder uptick very close to its release. Disney Tsum Tsum is a good example of this, and that game was faring quite worse than Mario & Sonic at the same time before its release. Also, the M&S franchise is used to enjoy great long-term sales, it wouldn't be the first time either (as a reminder: the original M&S game for Wii sold 15,000 copies in its first, while its first week sales were 4x the opening day, which is an ultra-rare sales pace).

Currently, I'd honestly say 50,000 - 70,000 is the range for its debut but, again, we'll have to wait and see how the situation evolves the closer we get to its release.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It appears there's a big misunderstanding of how late ports work and what kind of expectations there can be for them, especially in Japan. If publishers were expecting numbers close to original releases almost nothing would be ported. That Switch continues to get so many of them even three years in its life means the bar isn't set so high as you may think.

They are low investment and low risk projects that can offer easy money.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I never really predicted for DQ11S which is good cause I would've been dead wrong.

not gonna predict for Ring Fit LTD either

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It appears there's a big misunderstanding of how late ports work and what kind of expectations there can be for them, especially in Japan. If publishers were expecting numbers close to original releases almost nothing would be ported. That Switch continues to get so many of them even three years in its life means the bar isn't set so high as you may think.

They are low investment and low risk projects that can offer easy money.

Also, it seems they are selling well abroad, reaching a new audience that hadn't been achieved before.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
That'd be huge! OG release launch for comparison:

01./00. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2015.05.21} (¥8.856) - 67.458 / NEW <80-100%>

Though note that it seems to have sold out at launch on PS4: it had a 90% sell-through after the first day, and sell-through was at 93% for the first week (I assume with some restocks).
Just wondering, why the low expectations for the Switch version (going by that a 20k+ opening would be huge)? For a game like The Witcher 3, i'm thinking maybe 50k-60k LTD since the original release probably did over 200k with download sales.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering, why the low expectations for the Switch version (going by that a 20k+ opening would be huge)? For a game like The Witcher 3, i'm thinking maybe 50k-60k LTD since the original release probably did over 200k with download sales.
I remember some people saying that the game would sell like 5k last week.

I'd say it is a strong result for a Western game port. 1/3 to 1/2 of the game FW on PS4 is a great result and shows that Skyrim's performance was not a one-off event.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I would expect Witcher 3 to do 5x or more its FW sales, judging by how Skyrim is doing (4x FW sales after less than one year). A 20k opening is well over Skyrim (14k FW) and portends 100k+ lifetime sales.

Witcher 3 PS4 did something like 240k lifetime including GOTY edition, so that one did almost 4x its FW as well.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dengeki:

Disney Tsum Tsum Festival: 40% sell-through.

Fiscal Year (April 1st to September 29th)

Nintendo #1 publisher. Market share: 30.3% > 32.3%
  • Super Mario Maker 2 (600 000 units sold)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (300 000 units sold)
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses (270 000 units sold)
Other publishers
  • 2) Bandai-Namco. Tsuri Spirits Nintendo Switch Version (190 000 units sold)
  • 3) Square-Enix (Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition), up Year on Year
  • 4) Konami (sports games), up Year on Year
  • 5) Capcom (Monster Hunter World: Iceborn, 350 000 units and 2nd best-selling game). Dengeki would really, really like to remind you once more that they estimate MHW: Iceborn digital sales at 1.2m so Capcom would actually be 2nd with 18.8% market share if they counted digital sales (because only that game was sold digitally this Fiscal Year ;D)
Sony and Microsoft dropped from Top 5 due to a lack of major titles.

The Pokémon Company guaranteed to see big increase thanks to Pokémon Sword and Shield.

fire emblem three houses, after its initially disappointing debut seems to have catched up to fates?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Metal Max Xeno remake looks worse than the original version. They don't have the budget to adequately pursue the realistic art style they have gone for.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I remember some people saying that the game would sell like 5k last week.

I'd say it is a strong result for a Western game port. 1/3 to 1/2 of the game FW on PS4 is a great result and shows that Skyrim's performance was not a one-off event.
I would expect Witcher 3 to do 5x or more its FW sales, judging by how Skyrim is doing (4x FW sales after less than one year). A 20k opening is well over Skyrim (14k FW) and portends 100k+ lifetime sales.

Witcher 3 PS4 did something like 240k lifetime including GOTY edition, so that one did almost 4x its FW as well.
Got it. And as both of you say, Skyrim might be a good comparison. I didnt think about that game actually. I was just thinking that 50k-60k might be doable based on what the original did.