• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, but that's not what I asked.
Is that a cumulative measure, indicating that it probably had 60-70% at launch and might now nearing 80%? How good/bad is that?
Yeah the estimate is it sold through at least 60% of its stock at launch, so assume initial shipment is less than 100k. Being under 60k since then is not great, but given it's a Ys game it's basically standard.

How the performance is will always be based on context. Like how Dragon Quest XI S remains at 80-100% but we can say that hold is fine because of how large the initial shipment was.

and then we have Yokai Watch :(

Last edited:

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Most companies would kill for 300k sales but seeing that with a Yokai game and the frankly desperate attempts afterwards. A series that sold 3m+ is well on it's way to selling 3k... Pathetic.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The real problem is not that Yo-Kai Watch is dying. It's more or less normal in such franchises, like Digimon. Pokémon is the exception, having known how to remain successful after so many years.

The problem is that Level-5 has no viable substitute in the short term. They wanted it to be Snack World but it failed. Megaton Musashi and Ushiro seem super-distant. The "reboots" of Inazuma Eleven and Layton have failed.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening has also been in that 60/80% range for a while. That initial shipment is taking its sweet time to sell. At retail it'll probably end up being one of the lowest selling main Zelda game. It not even past Minish Cap yet.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
The real problem is not that Yo-Kai Watch is dying. It's more or less normal in such franchises, like Digimon. Pokémon is the exception, having known how to remain successful after so many years.

The problem is that Level-5 has no viable substitute in the short term. They wanted it to be Snack World but it failed. Megaton Musashi and Ushiro seem super-distant. The "reboots" of Inazuma Eleven and Layton have failed.

Actually

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit surprised Musashi is even in development. Thought it was just quietly cancelled.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the game will be playable in December so we'll get an idea on how far it is in developpement.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Link's Awakening has also been in that 60/80% range for a while. That initial shipment is taking its sweet time to sell. At retail it'll probably end up being one of the lowest selling main Zelda game. It not even past Minish Cap yet.

Zelda got already a second (or more) shipments. First week highest estimate for the shipment was 235k.

Famitsu Sales: Week 38, 2019 (Sep 16 - Sep 22)

01./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2019.09.20} (¥5.980) - 141.375 / NEW <60-80%>

With this week data the shipment is already over 266k. Retailers are confident ordering more copies.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Zelda got already a second (or more) shipments. First week highest estimate for the shipment was 235k.

01./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2019.09.20} (¥5.980) - 141.375 / NEW <60-80%>

With this week data the shipment is already over 266k. Retailers are confident ordering more copies.

well it was a given it would have surpassed the first week shipments, not much surprise there imo

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): trolling, inflammatory comments, history of similar behavior
I know some of you think those switch sales are bad and way below expectations but remember around 74 people died in that Typhoon. Considering how bad it was sales should increase next week.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Go Nagai just write his name and draw a few quick super rough designs and then pass it to his young assistants. Dollarz.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I know some of you think those switch sales are bad and way below expectations but remember around 74 people died in that Typhoon. Considering how bad it was sales should increase next week.

This week was still over last year's sales, which isn't great but isn't bad either IMO.

If it continues to be ahead for the next couple weeks before the big Holiday sales then I would think that should be considered good.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Fishing Spirits is considered the sleeper hit of 2019 from retailers so far (at least until Ring Fit Adventure is out). It's heading for over 300k sales this year.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
This came out like really disrespectful concern trolling. Might want to edit your post if you meant otherwise.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I know you were just trying to get across that the typhoon was very serious and had an effect but your post came out weird

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I know you were just trying to get across that the typhoon was very serious and had an effect but your post came out weird
I only had a few seconds to write a quick post on my break. My point is fairly clear no? This was one of the worst Typhoons to hit Japan and it's impact on sales can't be underestimated. Imo switch sales this week are pretty impressive given the situation.

As I said in another my sister's BF was in Japan for the rugby and he said it was scary as hell and didn't leave his flat during it.

Oct 25, 2017
I only had a few seconds to write a quick post on my break. My point is fairly clear no? This was one of the worst Typhoons to hit Japan and it's impact on sales can't be underestimated. Imo switch sales this week are pretty impressive given the situation.

As I said in another my sister's BF was in Japan for the rugby and he said it was scary as hell and didn't leave his flat during it.
Who are you talking to. In the last 24 hours who has been talking down results without knowing the context of a massive storm hitting the country. When even last page we've had people wishing luck to the affected. When even from page 1 we've had people already rationalize the connection between the stores closing from the storm and low sales results.

Who are you talking to.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017

I am negatively surprised by its sales performance, I expected much better coming after The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, at least retail wise. Fortunately we will have a quite accurate estimate for digital once Nintendo reports Q2 results and then we will be able to properly measure its performance, but so far not good at all.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am negatively surprised by its sales performance, I expected much better coming after The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, at least retail wise. Fortunately we will have a quite accurate estimate for digital once Nintendo reports Q2 results and then we will be able to properly measure its performance, but so far not good at all.
When every Nintendo games kinda underperfomed at retail (SMM2, FE, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening and soon LM3) since the vouchers launch while 3rd party games did mostly great (Jikkyu, Fishing Spirits, DQXIS), it is likely that vouchers had a very significant impact.

We'll find out in 2 weeks !

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who are you talking to. In the last 24 hours who has been talking down results without knowing the context of a massive storm hitting the country. When even last page we've had people wishing luck to the affected. When even from page 1 we've had people already rationalize the connection between the stores closing from the storm and low sales results.

Who are you talking to.

This came out like really disrespectful concern trolling. Might want to edit your post if you meant otherwise.

That moment when joke characters go wrong. Way wrong.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Wonder how the percentages will look the next few weeks now that the storms have passed and rebuilding begins.
IIRC, last year's earthquake didn't have a very noticeable effect on sales. So little, in fact, that people argued NSO had a bigger impact. So, I don't expect anything too far from the usual seasonal changes. New releases will have the more effect.

We are entering a rather exciting time period for new releases. Next week's chart we'll see Ringfit. The week after that COD. Then P5R, LM3, and MvS 2020. Followed by Death Stranding the next week. Finishing with Pokemon. Should be good.

Dude!?!

Had you stuck to your playbook you might have survived that... and you probably would had people defending you, again. But directing it towards "bad Switch sales" you exposed yourself as a baiting troll AND that you're a tasteless a-hole. See you next account.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Ring Fit Adventure isn't part of Vouchers program.

Download version also isn't very comfortable from the moment the physical parts of package have to be sent to consumer. Retal sales will be the big majority of total.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Early metrics for Call of Duty, 1 week before release, are that this year's sales will see a sizable drop comparing to 2018, following the fate of other western titles on PS4 lately.

But since it's Call of Duty maybe pre-orders don't reflect what will actually happen, and final result surprises.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
So with the reveal that the japanese version of Tokyo Mirage is the western censored version do we expect that to have any real impact on its sales? Unsure what Japan is thinking of that right now

Oct 25, 2017
So with the reveal that the japanese version of Tokyo Mirage is the western censored version do we expect that to have any real impact on its sales? Unsure what Japan is thinking of that right now
They ain't pleased, but no clue how this will affect sales this early, considering they have to market the new content for the next few months.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Mirage is a small title inside and outside Japan that would probably didn't exist on Switch if Atlus had anything else to release for the system. Hardly anyone will care.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I genuinely don't think he was trying to troll or be insensitive. I think this is just a sentence that came out poorly worded.

The original game sold fucking nothing in Japan. There wont be any real impact.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tokyo Mirage is a small title inside and outside Japan that would probably didn't exist on Switch if Atlus had anything else to release for the system. Hardly anyone will care.
Just goes to show the power of branding, as on the surface you'd think taking most of the core elements from one worldwide multi million seller franchise and combining it with content from another multi million seller franchise wouldn't result is an incredibly niche title

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The WiiU game sold 40k. The Switch version should outsell it imo. Maybe 50% of its sales ? and x3+ WW ?

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Yeah I'm kind of surprised it was interpreted differently. It's a fact that there was a dreadful typhoon and that, as a result of the damage, it likely has had an effect on sales.

I think it's that this person specifically called out Switch sales rather than sales in general. But I agree, a ban was surprising.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
First Day Sell-through {2019.10.17}

[NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town <SLG> (Marvelous) (¥5.800) - 60%

[NSW] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥6.480) - 50%

[NSW] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's Memory <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.980) - 30%

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's that this person specifically called out Switch sales rather than sales in general. But I agree, a ban was surprising.
I mean it could have been people giving him crap for only mentioning Sony systems, so he tries out mentioning the Switch.

If we're not allowed to discuss this then disregard.

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
First Day Sell-through {2019.10.17}

[NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town <SLG> (Marvelous) (¥5.800) - 60%

[NSW] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥6.480) - 50%

[NSW] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's Memory <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.980) - 30%

Looks like next week will be good for new releases.

Oct 26, 2017
The ban was very much justified. Kerotan made it sound like he was using the high death toll as an explanation on sales performance like it was nothing. Like HELLO!? Who the fuck cares? People fucking died and you're just throwing that in there as a cliff note? That was horrifically tasteless if nothing else.

It was justified. Very poor form.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ban was very much justified. Kerotan made it sound like he was using the high death toll as an explanation on sales performance like it was nothing. Like HELLO!? Who the fuck cares? People fucking died and you're just throwing that in there as a cliff note? That was horrifically tasteless if nothing else.

It was justified. Very poor form.
yup i agree, i mean wtf man