• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
So 3D Land had the previous debut right? This makes Oddysey the fastest selling 3D Mario game in Japan.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Relative performance of bundles suggest that...existing switch owners are also Mario fans lol.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
[N64] Super Mario 64 (Nintendo) - 162,111 [famitsu]
[GCN] Super Mario Sunshine (Nintendo) - 280,610 [famitsu]
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 250,585
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) - 339,901
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) 343,492
[Wii U] Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo) 99,588
[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) 511,625 [famitsu]

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

Might as well throw 2D Mario in there since Odyssey can actually compete with those, unlike the other games on this list.

Suicreeps

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware was low, regarding the previous 2 weeks of fairly low I hoped that they would stockpile more(even though I personally expected about 130k).

That is wonderful for Mario though, I would'nt have expected that high sales, especially with the hardware not being that high.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Any opinions why Odyssey outperformed other 3D debuts so drastically? Is it due to the bundles? Simply the right game at the right time? Is there something about Odyssey that appeals more to Japan than earlier 3D Marios?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
That's insane. What about the 2D Marios?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
As an interesting note:

This is the weekly ranking on the Rakuten Ichiba. Usually "games" products don't even get the 30th place on the weekly ranking, and not even the 50th on the monthly one. We're in front of a monster. We need to remember that Rakuten is the biggest e-commerce site in Japan with more than 30% of marketshare. Odyssey is gonna be huge.

...so how games like DQ and MH usually place that open at millions? That can't be unprecedented right

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...so how games like DQ and MH usually place that open at millions? That can't be unprecedented right

That's simple. DQ and FF (and Mon Hun) are never supply constrained, so they never get enough orders on Rakuten like Mario did. FF was severely channel staffed because retailers expected better, DQ had some supply issues that are fixed in a day. Mon Hun is always adequately supplied due to its front loaded nature (relative to its tail numbers)

Rakuten SELLS WATER FOR GOD'S SAKE! To chart there, for a video game, is a unprecedented situation, and points to supply issues for Mario Odyssey (people exhausted normal avenues to buy the game).

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I don't mean to nit-pick and I appreciate your posts a lot on this forum, but I need to know more about this part of the post.

I have to say I don't live in the big cities so I cannot be sure it isn't totally different there, but I have never seen this. Most of the older, retirement age folks I see are not only not playing Pokemon GO but most don't even own smart phones. I see I lot of old flip phones and even some phones lacking a screen but with big keypads for easy dialing. My mother in law has an 8+ year old flip phone and my father in law does not even own a cell phone.

I am sure there are some very active Pokemon GO players in the 65+ age range, but I have not encountered them and I believe them to be a niche minority.

The group I do see playing a lot are moms and dads. 30s and 40s. Their kids are playing in the park and they are wandering between gyms and pokestops. I guess I fall into that category myself (or did while I was still playing regularly). From my observations that group is not as big as the high school/collage student demographic but probably just as big as the young kids demographic and almost certainly a lot more profitable.

Again, other people may have different experiences and I would love to hear more about older people and Pokemon GO, but from where I stand I was surprised to read those sentences. I look forward to hearing more.
Time for inaugural Vinnk's Viilage for the new era, Vinnk?

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Great numbers for Mario. But then again, Switch owners are starved for 3D platformers starring a plumber, so it's not surprising.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. Any opinions why Odyssey outperformed other 3D debuts so drastically? Is it due to the bundles? Simply the right game at the right time? Is there something about Odyssey that appeals more to Japan than earlier 3D Marios?
fresh game, fresh hardware, not surprising tbh

Includes Bundles and Download Cards. No Digital.
so my prediction was on point after-all, now lets see if it passes 1m before the holidays begins comes true

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Crazy. Switch is going to explode in a few weeks.

Note that even if all Switch sold were bundled with the game, without counting such bundles Odyssey is still the highest debut for a 3D Mario game.

That's simple. DQ and FF (and Mon Hun) are never supply constrained, so they never get enough orders on Rakuten like Mario did. FF was severely channel staffed because retailers expected better, DQ had some supply issues that are fixed in a day. Mon Hun is always adequately supplied due to its front loaded nature (relative to its tail numbers)

Rakuten SELLS WATER FOR GOD'S SAKE! To chart there, for a video game, is a unprecedented situation, and points to supply issues for Mario Odyssey (people exhausted normal avenues to buy the game).

I'm pretty sure both MH4 and MHX were supply constrained during launch, which caused eShop sales to skyrocket.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's an impressive debut even with fewer bundles than I was expecting. I thought it would do 450K but also thought we would see over 150K Switches be sold. Its going to be very close to 1M at the beginning of December.
Biggest week since the launch.

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 estimated opening was 700k with digital. If Odyssey supply problems were extended and not limited it will have bigger share.

This opening confirms a 2m+ seller. With retailers expecting it to be the top seller of holidays, above Splatoon 2, 1,5m+ LTD after December is possible.

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
image.png

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
511k is massive. I wouldn't be surprised if this game went on to become the biggest 3d Mario in Japan, passing even 3d land in the end.

Had hopes for a few more Switches, though. We know they pumps up the production, so hopefully they deliver enough in the last two months to reach 3.5 million.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Splatoon 2 estimated opening was 700k with digital. If Odyssey supply problems were extended and not limited it will have bigger share.

This opening confirms a 2m+ seller. With retailers expecting it to be the top seller of holidays, above Splatoon 2, 1,5m+ LTD after December is possible.

Yep, that was my prediction a few days ago. Given this debut, the fact that Switch is on roll and there are not many new releases in December, Odyssey will likely be a 1.5m seller in January. At that point, 3m LTD would not be surprising. Mario games sell over time.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware numbers seem underwhelming though.
Have to imagine Holiday Stockpiling is impacting availability at least for Japan. I mean they are looking to sell 9.1 million units give or take a few hundred K over next 5 months. November and December obviously are the likely months where the bulk of that will be sold

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
A week is almost over and this is probably the first time in a long time that a sales age thread hasn't been turned into a MHW + incompetent Capcom vs Nintendo Switchand the fanbase discussion
It's been over a month Monster Hunter and Capcom discussion stopped in Media Create threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.