• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope SoulCalibur VI ends up doing well in the rest of the world, but man, Namco really went about planning this game's release so poorly.

Putting it in a packed month, and only a week before one of the most hyped games of this generation, was such a bad idea. Not to mention the negative press it got for its lack of content in the costume department as well as having a season pass.

It's still a great game through and through so I hope it's able to find success somehow.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SC7 will have to wait another decade.

Call of Duty sales always follow a declining trend after launch, there isn't a rebound in holidays and this entry came out very soon.
Not in the foreseeable future unless there's a massive shake up to the formula that massively widen its appeal, it's already a pretty big success by every standard already as it is.
I see. I just thought that maybe this installment being focused so much on multiplayer and battle royale modes could maybe give it longer legs than usual. Thanks!

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully japan sales are far from the most important for Jp games these days.

Otherwise SC6 would be in a bad situation.
SC6 will bomb worldwide

The series never recovered from the SC2 highs (and the decision to make SC3 PS2 exclusive still baffles me to this day, just like the decision to not have a Wii version of 4 and 5 running on the SC2 engine)

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think 10k for a decently publicized, decently budgeted FuRyu game is particularly good. Not like they can just farm it out to their western subsidiary to stick on Steam and make bank either.

(that said, I'm sure it will come west)

Not saying that 10k is good number but it sure is better than whatever work x work did just recently lol.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Dark Souls Switch delay murdered any chance of it selling bigger there. What a joke.

Labo car kit crawling with crippled legs lol.
yea pretty much, although its only did 70k in its debut week on ps4. But its kinda obvious namco bandai delayed DS for switch purely for marketing reasons. The game ran fine in april at pax( yea even in blighttown) and Virtuous began a new project in may 2018. That plus the audio being semi-horribly compressed leads me to believe that it was put on the shelve for 5 months without any QA what so ever. I mean the lack of audio quality, A and B reversed should have been immediately noticed by QA testers

I guess they hoped the game to have a second wind with the delay and it obviously backfired. Hopefully bamco learns from this.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
Is there any kind of competitive scene for Soul Caliber? I only follow esports very casually, but I can't recall seeing any epic battles anywhere. Just trying to think of ways to get some attention back on the game if that's even possible.

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good second week for call of duty.
Mario party still doing somewhat well.
Weak opening for soul calibur, and dark souls switch.

Slight decline for both switch and ps4 hardware.
An average week overall.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think the best way to describe the Switch's year so far is fine. It hasn't bombed out, but it definitely doesn't feel like it has lived up to the expectations set from 2017. Pokemon and Smash are big, and it has had a few nice surprises, but nothing to really excite or cause it to dominate the market. It still can explode moving forward, it is just a bit more delayed than I first imagined it would be. I'm looking forward to see more of what 2019 holds for us.
Could COD ever top 1 million? It'll easily top half for sure.
It could... I think this would be the most likely one to do it so far if it keeps these legs into a good holiday season.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the point of mourning SC6 when pretty much everyone knew the moment they showed it that it wasn't going to do great. I don't know what the reception in Japan was, but I kept seeing the less hardcore crowd (which you sadly need for bigger sales) complain about the game's graphics as soon as they showed it. Sometimes franchises die of a natural death. It is what it is.
This wouldn't be as depressing if this wasn't happening to most japanese franchises not made by Nintendo. :/

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find it hilarious how whenever there's a new fighting game so many people here are surprised by the low numbers. You'd think people would have realized by now that fighting games are not big sellers nowadays.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hilarious how whenever there's a new fighting game so many people here are surprised by the low numbers. You'd think people would have realized by now that fighting games are not big sellers nowadays.
The issue is when you dont expect much and the numbers still below the numbers.

No one is expecting SC6 to sell +100k first week in 2018. But that much below 50k is troublesome.
I remeber the early 3DS fighting game ports ala Dead or Alive selling that much.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The issue is when you dont expect much and the numbers still below the numbers.

No one is expecting SC6 to sell +100k first week in 2018. But that much below 50k is troublesome.
I remeber the early 3DS fighting game ports ala Dead or Alive selling that much.

Troublesome? A fighting game selling over 50k in its first week in Japan would be a huge success by current standards.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Now i'm worried about RE2 and DMC V next year.
DmC did >100k in the opening week in 2013 and DMC 4 did 250k iirc, i don't know what to expect from DMC V, under 100k is going to be so disappointing.
RE2 on the other hand is a remake of a beloved classic, it's in 3rd person view and "supposedly" should do better than RE7, but i'm not sure.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
yea pretty much, although its only did 70k in its debut week on ps4. But its kinda obvious namco bandai delayed DS for switch purely for marketing reasons. The game ran fine in april at pax( yea even in blighttown) and Virtuous began a new project in may 2018. That plus the audio being semi-horribly compressed leads me to believe that it was put on the shelve for 5 months without any QA what so ever. I mean the lack of audio quality, A and B reversed should have been immediately noticed by QA testers

I guess they hoped the game to have a second wind with the delay and it obviously backfired. Hopefully bamco learns from this.

On the contrary, than the final release still has some problems makes it pretty obvious that the game wasn't ready.

People always talk about the PAX demo like if that means anyone played the full game there and with full functional online features too.

The publisher is the first one not interested to announce a game then having it delayed, but shit happens.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you think SoulCalibur has bombed now wait another 6 months for Bamco to announce and release the Switch version.

On the contrary, than the final release still has some problems makes it pretty obvious that the game wasn't ready.

People always talk about the PAX demo like if that means anyone played the full game there and with full functional online features too.

The publisher is the first one not interested to announce a game then having it delayed, but shit happens.

That would make sense if extra development work was done following the delay but as BloodshotX said the developer moved on to a different project altogether.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Switch's 2018 sales performance is almost as boring as Switch's 2018 retail games lineup.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
If you think SoulCalibur has bombed now wait another 6 months for Bamco to announce and release the Switch version.

That would make sense if extra development work was done following the delay but as BloodshotX said the developer moved on to a different project altogether.

Virtuos is a 1000+ people studio, of course they are working on multiple projects at the same time and only a small fraction is working on Nintendo Switch port, there's no source saying: "The NSW port team moved from DSR in May to work on another project".

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017

This. Fighting games are just not big anymore, like the racing sim games. At the same time, this is also what ARMS ended up selling is such an impressive feat.

As for COD, expectation is getting out of hand with current success. Yes, it had a great first week and a great hold for second week. But it's not gonna sell another 650K in Japan.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virtuos is a 1000+ people studio, of course they are working on multiple projects at the same time and only a small fraction is working on Nintendo Switch port, there's no source saying: "The NSW port team moved from DSR in May to work on another project".

The info came from ShockingAlberto/Imran Khan IIRC and that was actually exactly what he said. He said the team working on Dark Souls finished their work in April/May.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
The info came from ShockingAlberto/Imran Khan IIRC and that was actually exactly what he said. He said the team working on Dark Souls finished their work in April/May.

Bah i find this to be very weird tbh, even if it's true.
If the game was ready why wait 6 more months?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Mario Party is having good legs "for a party game"

also, Dont remember what was the catalyst last year, but next (this) week is when Switch sales started to boom up in Japan. so I hope this year they dont start to lag out
85b5d3e8c1.png

Imagine if it underperforms.
I have bets with a friend and a doomposting/ hot takes bingo when we get the game release

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Troublesome? A fighting game selling over 50k in its first week in Japan would be a huge success by current standards.
It's not about selling a lot. But 24K is pathetic. And it's not just fighting games, feels like almost nothing sells well in this market anymore.

This last decade with the PS / Nintendo split in multiplatforms just ruined the sales for most franchises and we got to this point where a few western games sell much more than most japanese releases. It's very disappointing.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018

Its just Virtuous games being virtuous games, they cant seem to get their act together with their ports sadly.

Lets face it, the game was done in april but has some issues that are probably the same issues rearing its head in the final release. There is no good reason for the game to be delayed 2 weeks before is goes to the cartridge "presser". Online is probably not even a factor here. There is no way that QA testers didnt have access to test the online features months before the delay. And NSO is just the online we already had but now behind a paywall, just like what happened with the online with the playstation years ago.

What namco bandai should have done is take the work what Virtuous games did and continue it elsewhere, in house, by qlock. Its kinda obvious that Virtuous went onto other projects in may and barely looked at darksouls after that.

As i said no way QA testers didnt notice the A/B, sound situation months before release, and if they didnt they are pretty shitty QA testers(or shitty virtuous games for not listening ofc)

Wouldnt we get the same situation as darksouls if we get SC a year after the fact?

Also i dont know why Namco didnt just take the work Virtuous games did and take it back and let an internal team (or QLOC) work out the kinks. Because Virtuous games just isnt up to the task, or they did jack sh*t in the last 5 months.