• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If you think SoulCalibur has bombed now wait another 6 months for Bamco to announce and release the Switch version.

That would make sense if extra development work was done following the delay but as BloodshotX said the developer moved on to a different project altogether.

The Dark Souls port team can move to different works and still have people inside Virtuos working on stuff, maybe it was about the online features, we don't know, but I don't think we can judge if a game was finished because some areas happened to run fine at Pax.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Bamco really screwed over Soul space here Calibur VI with their DLC greed. They couldn't wait even six months? Really?

PS4 vs PS3
2018-10-24-22-09-00.jpg

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------
|    |   PlayStation 3   |   PlayStation 4   |  Difference  |
|    |    (2006/11/11)   |    (2014/02/22)   |              |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   PS4 - PS3  |
| 242|   16.993|6.688.079|   14.065|7.150.153|       462.074|
| 243|   26.441|6.714.520|   25.472|7.175.625|       461.105|
| 244|   22.900|6.737.420|   21.673|7.197.298|       459.878|
| 245|   23.322|6.760.742|         |         |              |
| 246|   23.343|6.784.085|         |         |              |
| 247|   20.704|6.804.789|         |         |              |
| 248|   18.338|6.823.127|         |         |              |
| 249|   20.239|6.843.366|         |         |              |
| 250|   29.666|6.873.032|         |         |              |
| 251|   33.141|6.906.173|         |         |              |

Huh, didn't realize the PS4 was so far ahead of PS3 for a year now in Japan. Combined Dragon Quest XI + Monster Hunter World effect?

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
Disastrous number for Dark Souls Switch but was expected

Awful debut for Soul Calibur, its a shame because game is really good overall

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
The Dark Souls port team can move to different works and still have people inside Virtuos working on stuff, maybe it was about the online features, we don't know, but I don't think we can judge if a game was finished because some areas happened to run fine at Pax.
i find it kinda hard to believe that its about online features, i could be wrong but you dont wait until the last 15 days for testing online features. And missing the a/b swap and audio issues.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about selling a lot. But 24K is pathetic. And it's not just fighting games, feels like almost nothing sells well in this market anymore.

This last decade with the PS / Nintendo split in multiplatforms just ruined the sales for most franchises and we got to this point where a few western games sell much more than most japanese releases. It's very disappointing.
Nintendo games are selling better than ever and with basically the same franchises over and over. Its a matter of taking the audience seriously. Look at what Nintendo is doing with Smash and then look at Soul Calibur. Third party franchises are getting stale and feel old these days with not enough content or uniquenes.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Mario Party is having good legs "for a party game"

also, Dont remember what was the catalyst last year, but next (this) week is when Switch sales started to boom up in Japan. so I hope this year they dont start to lag out
85b5d3e8c1.png

I have bets with a friend and a doomposting/ hot takes bingo when we get the game release
The fact that one of the -100% is black bothers me more than it should. Conditional formatting is your friend.
A formula like this might be preferable
=IF(G3 <> "", (G3-F3)/F3,"")
I don't think the -100% make sense when there is no comparable data. Excel having localised formulas for different languages sucks, though.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I don't the Switch userbase will be big enough to support a 2m+ opening week for a game, even Pokemon or Smash.

X/Y came 1 year later into the 3DS lifecycle.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
First Switch game with potential for a 2m opening is next year's Pokemon.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you think SoulCalibur has bombed now wait another 6 months for Bamco to announce and release the Switch version.

That would make sense if extra development work was done following the delay but as BloodshotX said the developer moved on to a different project altogether.

So double bomba.... tsar bomba?^_^

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Don't you think the fact many Nintendo franchises had record numbers ( Zelda, Xenoblade, 3D Mario or Splatoon ) is a pretty good sign for Pokemon ?
All the games you listed are typical console titles....we know Switch has a big advantage compared to past home consoles.

Outselling the biggest 3DS and handheld launches won't be that easy since Nintendo handhelds were always big and much cheaper than the Switch in terms of hardware and software.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
The fact that one of the -100% is black bothers me more than it should. Conditional formatting is your friend.
A formula like this might be preferable
=IF(G3 <> "", (G3-F3)/F3,"")
I don't think the -100% make sense when there is no comparable data. Excel having localised formulas for different languages sucks, though.
I just used an old chart simple formula, been tad to lazy to remake em. lol

First Switch game with potential for a 2m opening is next year's Pokemon.
Smash

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Don't you think the fact many Nintendo franchises had record numbers ( Zelda, Xenoblade, 3D Mario or Splatoon ) is a pretty good sign for Pokemon ?

Zelda and Mario went in the completely opposite direction of Let's Go gameplay wise. Less limitations, vast worlds.
Splatoon 2 is a online based game and Let's Go has limited online features compared to the previous entries.
Xenoblade is a completely different kind of audience.

I don't think those are an indication of what Let's Go could do.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
So it's that bad, huh? That's all I need to know really, thanks. I didn't know if this was a situation where the series was more popular in the West. I guess not.

It's. Soul Calibur has not ever been big seller in Japan. Even back in a days when fightning games still sold something in Japan the best Soul Calibur did was under 300k (original SC on Dreamcast). Far cry from the likes of Tekken, Virtua Fighter or Street Fighter that used to be million sellers.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This wouldn't be as depressing if this wasn't happening to most japanese franchises not made by Nintendo. :/

I mean, Japan has had a problem with high-selling franchises for a while now. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter... they still perform well. I guess Japan needs their own Ubisoft that can launch a new million selling franchise like every other year.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
It's. Soul Calibur has not ever been big seller in Japan. Even back in a days when fightning games still sold something in Japan the best Soul Calibur did was under 300k (original SC on Dreamcast). Far cry from the likes of Tekken, Virtua Fighter or Street Fighter that used to be million sellers.
Thanks. 24k is still pretty shitty though.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This wouldn't be as depressing if this wasn't happening to most japanese franchises not made by Nintendo. :/

When you are looking at the bigger picture, you can say that a lot of JP long lasting franchises are in decline because they didn't reinvent themselves.

However you have still franchises that continue to grow (Persona), other IP that are brought back for the dead and seduce a new audience (Nier), new IPs that resonated/brought some fresh to the table (Octopath).

JP publishers are in general playing way too safe and it is hurting them in the long-term.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
yea pretty much, although its only did 70k in its debut week on ps4. But its kinda obvious namco bandai delayed DS for switch purely for marketing reasons. The game ran fine in april at pax( yea even in blighttown) and Virtuous began a new project in may 2018. That plus the audio being semi-horribly compressed leads me to believe that it was put on the shelve for 5 months without any QA what so ever. I mean the lack of audio quality, A and B reversed should have been immediately noticed by QA testers

I guess they hoped the game to have a second wind with the delay and it obviously backfired. Hopefully bamco learns from this.

I doubt that's the reason for the delay because it makes no sense.

Switch schedule was wide open in Spring and game had hype that would obviously die down due to the delay and release of other versions.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls way higher than expected.

US soldiers takes over Japan.

Soul Calibur is dead.

Switch hardware numbers are... incredible stable.

PS4 hardware sales are low ahain, price drop was pointless.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck, I don't know exactly how it's doing in the rest of the world (probably not much different from japan?) but if the future of the series really was dependent on the sales for 6 then Soulcalibur truly is dead now...

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Price cuts give nothing more than a temporary bump if there isn't the software to support them.

In the case of a premium model like PS4 Pro, being 5000 yen cheaper and still far more expensive that regular model it's even worse.

The only title that can be system seller for a few weeks is 3 months away.

Oct 29, 2017
Dark Souls and SC6 bombed as expected, while SMP's legs are impressive as expected.

Very surprised to see how strong COD's legs are though!

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Weekly retailer hints vol.1

Combined initial shipment for both Pokemon and Smash bundles appears to be very high even if preorders close today, comfortably over 100k.

Many new releases this week but nothing exciting for sales except Red Dead Redemption II.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Combined initial shipment for both Pokemon and Smash bundles appears to be very high even if preorders closed today, comfortably over 100k.

Many new releases this week but nothing exciting for sales except Red Dead Redemption II.

100k combined for the bundles seems solid. Are they scheduled to release on the same day as Pokémon Let's Go?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Combined initial shipment for both Pokemon and Smash bundles appears to be very high even if preorders close today, comfortably over 100k.

100k combined for the bundles seems solid. Are they scheduled to release on the same day as Pokémon Let's Go?

Yes.

200k+ week incoming.