• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
At retail, Taiko is the 11th best selling entry in the franchise. Including digital, it should comfortably be the 9th one.

When it's all said and done, it should approach the 3DS entry. It also depends on whether there'll be a new entry next year.

PS2 Taiko no Tatsujin: Tatakon de Dodon ga Don - Tatakon Bundled Set 743.334
NDS Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: The 7 Island Adventure 693.164
WII Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 658.783
WII Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition 654.842
NDS Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dokodon in Touch! 641.229
3DS Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb 590.132
PS2 Taiko no Tatsujin: Appare Sandaime 578.993
WII Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Dodoon to 2 Daime! 430.096
PS2 Taiko no Tatsujin: Doki! Shinkyouku Darake no Haru Matsuri 407.181
NDS Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dororon! Youkai Daikessen!! 393.279
Taiko 3DS was at 514.484 units sold at the same time from launch (they launched the same week of the year, so comparison is easy), so that's still quite a bit ahead. Switch version needs significant legs still to catch up.

Oct 26, 2017
Theory: People in Japan are hoping for a GOTY edition of Taiko Switch since it has an insulting amount of paid DLC. I wouldn't be shocked if it costs more for all the DLC than the base game, maybe even double for all I know. I hate this practise. :/

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This will be the first quarter Switch beats 3DS at hardware shipments and Q2 2013 for 3DS wasn't weak. Q3 will also he a close battle but at next quarters Switch will have big lead over 3DS.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Taiko 3DS was at 514.484 units sold at the same time from launch (they launched the same week of the year, so comparison is easy), so that's still quite a bit ahead. Switch version needs significant legs still to catch up.

True but we must take into account eShop sales. Also, 3DS got a release the year later. If Switch doesn't get a new entry next year there might be more legs.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
Pokémon games saw an increase in the share of sales outside Japan over the years (Japanese numbers are rounded a bit):

Ruby/Sapphire: ~5.5m Japan / 16.22m worldwide (West: ~10.72m so ~66% of total sales)
Diamond/Pearl: ~6m Japan / 17.67m worldwide (West: ~11.67m so ~66% of total sales)
Black/White: ~5.6m Japan / 15.64m worldwide (West: ~10.04m so ~64% of total sales)
X/Y: ~4.6m Japan / 16.40m worldwide (West: ~11.8m so ~72% of total sales)
Sun/Moon: ~4m Japan / 16.16m worldwide (West: ~12.16m so ~75% of total sales)

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee: ~2m Japan / 10.98m worldwide (West: ~8.98m so ~82% of total sales)
This trend is accelerated by the western appeal of the Switch which greatly outperforms the 3DS in these markets and by the shrinking japanese market. Let's Go is proof of this.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Despite what Famitsu tried to convince us, Taiko eShop sales in 2018 weren't low.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Dengeki:

Ring Fit Adventure: 67k, 70% sell-through
Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town: 63k, 55% sell-through. SoS games usually sell 35-40% of LTD sales during first week, so expecting game to keep selling for a while.

Previous FY: no million-seller during 1st half, but several big games during second one
This FY: the same, but like last year, they expect only a few games to sell really well, leading to the sales gap worsening even more.

It's already quite dire this FY: 392 of the games from the Top 500 (so about 80%) didn't even sell 10k. Yes, 10k, not 100k.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch simply sells more software than the Wii and the 3DS. I don't know why people suddenly think it magically won't happen for Pokémon too.

It doesn't though (yet at least).

Software shipments after 9 quarters:

Switch: 210 million units shipped
Wii: 353 million units shipped

Wii was software monster in its early years.

Oct 26, 2017
Dengeki:

Ring Fit Adventure: 67k, 70% sell-through
Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town: 63k, 55% sell-through. SoS games usually sell 35-40% of LTD sales during first week, so expecting game to keep selling for a while.

Previous FY: no million-seller during 1st half, but several big games during second one
This FY: the same, but like last year, they expect only a few games to sell really well, leading to the sales gap worsening even more.

It's already quite dire this FY: 392 of the games from the Top 500 (so about 80%) didn't even sell 10k. Yes, 10k, not 100k.

Holy hell Travis Strikes Again on PS4 CRATERED at only 956 sold. O_o How did the Switch original sell at retail FW, do we know?

Oct 26, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't tracked because it was Nintendo Store exclusive. And it was just a download code anyways.

It was, you're right:

Still, I'm sure it would've done eons better on Switch retail had it gotten a retail release proper. I wonder what caused PS4 owners to completely avoid the game like that. Huh. Wonder how it'll do in the west. Actually I don't think it has a retail release on PS4 in the west right? Nintendo distributed the western Switch retail release IIRC. They likely have that as a permanent exclusive.

Still wonder why the port was even a thing. Suda was always vocal about the IP being Nintendo-exclusive. He even had little to no involvement with the PS360 port of the original game that was by feelplus+ IIRC. I'm guessing Marvelous made him port TSA since they fully published it worldwide (with XSEED as the NA publisher).

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile Fishing Spirits is starting to outsell Taiko big time launch aligned and with holidays approaching the difference will become massive.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Still wonder why the port was even a thing. Suda was always vocal about the IP being Nintendo-exclusive. He even had little to no involvement with the PS360 port of the original game that was by feelplus+ IIRC. I'm guessing Marvelous made him port TSA since they fully published it worldwide (with XSEED as the NA publisher).

To be honest, I have never understood the idea of Travis Strikes Again to begin with. The IP has been dormant for years and never been very successful. It was a cult classic but not to the extent that fans buy the game only because of its main protagonist.

In my opinion, a collection of the first two games + No More Heroes 3 shortly after could have been more sound as a business choice.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
The Switch simply sells more software than the Wii and the 3DS. I don't know why people suddenly think it magically won't happen for Pokémon too.
It doesn't tho at least not always, Fire Emblem is down from its 3DS counterparts, top down Zelda as well, and a bunch of other games both third party and ifrst party sold less on Switch, Pokémon already was on a downwards trend so it's a prime candidate to do also do worse on Switch.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't tho at least not always, Fire Emblem is down from its 3DS counterparts, top down Zelda as well, and a bunch of other games both third party and ifrst party sold less on Switch, Pokémon already was on a downwards trend so it's a prime candidate to do also do worse on Switch.
They are speaking worldwide.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There's always this weird idea that 3DS was a weak system in Japan that Switch should destroy at every section like west.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Top-down Zelda... I'd wait.

Holidays + digital will definitely push Link's Awakening above A Link Between Worlds.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It was, you're right:

Still, I'm sure it would've done eons better on Switch retail had it gotten a retail release proper. I wonder what caused PS4 owners to completely avoid the game like that. Huh. Wonder how it'll do in the west. Actually I don't think it has a retail release on PS4 in the west right? Nintendo distributed the western Switch retail release IIRC. They likely have that as a permanent exclusive.

It's not a surprise that PS4 owners didn't buy it. They announced Switch exclusive NMH3 before it even released on ps4. Why would anyone buy the prequal to a game they went me able to play.

It really makes me wonder how P5S will sell on switch when it's the same scenario.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

Wii had way more retail games on the market in its early years though. also, that switch software number doesn't include sales for digital-only games (indies, stuff like naruto trilogy and so on).

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah. This is true. Wii had good software sales.

With the rise of digital software the comparison isn't as clean though. Lots of digital only software has performed well on Switch.

Worldwide this isnt true. And Zelda and Fire Emblem need to have shipment data released before you state they performed worse even in Japan. Link Between Worlds was like 400k wasnt it? Nothing says Link's Awakening wont cross this.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Worldwide this isnt true. And Zelda and Fire Emblem need to have shipment data released before you state they performed worse even in Japan. Link Between Worlds was like 400k wasnt it? Nothing says Link's Awakening wont cross this.
I thought it was talking about Japan, but anyway ALBW was 470k and i mean the difference in those titles with the 3DS games is pretty big before factoring in digital, but yeah you're right we'll see how they actually performed next week.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was talking about Japan, but anyway ALBW was 470k and i mean the difference in those titles with the 3DS games is pretty big before factoring in digital, but yeah you're right we'll see how they actually performed next week.

Shipment data will be pretty necessary to judge these games especially Fire Emblem. But like Chris said, everyone acts like the 3DS was weak everyone. It was bad in the West but it was extremely strong in Japan.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There will be surprises with Ring Fit and Call of Duty sales next week, positive and negative.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening and ALBW is not a 1:1 comparison. One is a 1:1 remake while the other is a new game.

There are other differences that shouldn't be ignored when looking at the contexts behind A Link Between Worlds and Link's Awakening

1) Release dates: the former was released in Week 52, 2013 (one of the biggest weeks of the year for software), while the latter was released in Week 38, 2019, far from Holidays. To be fair, LA was released alongside the Switch Lite, which means the difference isn't as big as it would usually be, but IMHO it still shouldn't be underestimated the effect of releasing a game right when general spending is at its height / close to its height.

2) Digital sales: Link's Awakening is a voucher title, which means its retail sales will be affected - maybe not as strongly as Three Houses or Astral Chain, but a 30% digital split for its first two weeks wouldn't be surprising at all. Digital sales on 3DS weren't that strong, minus a few selected cases (Animal Crossing: New Leaf, MHX).

3) (potentially) Long-term sales potential: due to its release right during the Holidays, A Link Between World's legs weren't that great for a Nintendo title (slightly less than 50% first week / LTD ratio); meanwhile, Link's Awakening has yet to experience the Holidays boost.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ALBW is a much better game than Link's Awakening fwiw.
It's a fine game, but doesn't really feel like it has the charm of emotional weight of Link's Awakening. It's very much a conventional Zelda story with an unconventional setup (item rental and nonlinear progress), while Link's Awakening is an unconventional Zelda story with a conventional setup.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sounds like PS4 is headed for a steep decline compared to last year's record, then. Here's COD's performance throughout the generation, sorted by launch sales (and by LTD sales as well, incidentally. Numbers by Gamedatalibrary):
Code:
PS4    Call of Duty: Black Ops 4    233.762    666.816    SIE    12/10/2018
PS4    Call of Duty: WWII    170.996    459.523    SIE    03/11/2017
PS4    Call of Duty: Black Ops III    147.204    412.822    SCE    06/11/2015
PS4    Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare    100.877    215.818    SIE    04/11/2016
PS4    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Subtitled Edition    68.261    98.564    Square Enix    13/11/2014

BLOPS4 was a crazy performance for the franchise. Will be interesting to see if MW can beat WWII and BLOPSIII on PS4 (BLOPSIII had a PS3 sku as well). That would put it at 170k+ (if WWII is beaten) or 150k+ (if BLOPSIII is beaten), which is not too bad, although at 150k it would rank among some of more unimpressive performances for COD in the last two gens in Japan.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Remakes (or remasters) on 3ds were bigger than ALBW, though.

Link's Awakening might well be sell on par with Majora's Mask 3D.

Ocarina of Time 3D is untouchable but that is understandable: it's one of the most beloved entries in the franchise and also one of the best-selling ones in Japan. It launched early on 3DS lifecycle meaning that it was able to sell for a long time.

Sep 14, 2019
Shipment data will be pretty necessary to judge these games especially Fire Emblem. But like Chris said, everyone acts like the 3DS was weak everyone. It was bad in the West but it was extremely strong in Japan.
Is it really accurate to call 3DS "bad in the West"? I was under the impression that it just sold extremely well in Japan, but that it still did decent/pretty good everywhere else.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Pokémon games saw an increase in the share of sales outside Japan over the years (Japanese numbers are rounded a bit):

Ruby/Sapphire: ~5.5m Japan / 16.22m worldwide (West: ~10.72m so ~66% of total sales)
Diamond/Pearl: ~6m Japan / 17.67m worldwide (West: ~11.67m so ~66% of total sales)
Black/White: ~5.6m Japan / 15.64m worldwide (West: ~10.04m so ~64% of total sales)
X/Y: ~4.6m Japan / 16.40m worldwide (West: ~11.8m so ~72% of total sales)
Sun/Moon: ~4m Japan / 16.16m worldwide (West: ~12.16m so ~75% of total sales)

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee: ~2m Japan / 10.98m worldwide (West: ~8.98m so ~82% of total sales)
I feel its overlooked and should be pointed out that the lower Japanese sales and higher worldwide sales post- Gen 5 is likely because X/Y was the first game in the series to launch simultaneously WW. Instead of waiting 9 months to over a year for a western release. Same with three houses on Switch being the first WW simultaneous release.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Is it really accurate to call 3DS "bad in the West"? I was under the impression that it just sold extremely well in Japan, but that it still did decent/pretty good everywhere else.

3DS underperformed compared to other Nintendo handhelds, expecially in America, but in a normal contest it did alright.

I feel its overlooked and should be pointed out that the lower Japanese sales and higher worldwide sales post- Gen 5 is likely because X/Y was the first game in the series to launch simultaneously WW. Instead of waiting 9 months to over a year for a western release. Same with three houses on Switch being the first WW simultaneous release.

Meh, for Pokémon it could be true, for FE that's probabily not the case, Fire Emblem tend to sell way better in America since Awakening , which was the game who totally relaunched the series (Awakening sold 1 million in America)

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
3DS had a long life length since Pokemon gave a boost at its final years but despite that total sales were very disappointing if you remove Japan from equation. That Switch beats it so easy at hardware and software confirms that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike Q1 there will be updates of Japanese shipments for a big number of titles at Wednesday.

Super Mario Maker 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Maybe some of these too
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Party
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
Astral Chain

There could also be mention of Ring Fit sales.