• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they name dropped Ace Attorney, but what they stated is that they're preparing different games for Switch, such as AA, for Switch. Not that it's the only series they're working on for the system.

Let's just say that I hope next year's lineup is THIS Ace Attorney-centric, then XD

I guess Vena's thought is that Ace Attorney is Capcom's smallest active franchise(except Sengoku Basara?) so if they had anything else it would have made more sense to namedrop them. I mean I guess they could have a late port of Okami HD?

My comment was in the context that someone was defending that if a company says they're happy with the performance of something, that's all it matters, no matter what the data available says. This is something that is valid or not depending on the company, sadly.

The user in question has been temp. baned so I don't want to really dig into this anymore, but there are valid points in both analyzing the data we have and trusting to some extend that a company does not release their games blindly and accounts for the current climate and opportunities for their titles when evaluating performance.

Btw, Falcom investors are not really sad if you're following their financials, but that's for another argument.

There's a slight distinction though as Koei Tecmo said they were raising expectations in part due to Fire Emblem Warriors and not just that they were happy with it.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
There's a slight distinction though as Koei Tecmo said they were raising expectations in part due to Fire Emblem Warriors and not just that they were happy with it.

Falcom revised up their forecast just before the Sen3 launch (almost 15% up on net income), using both preorders for Sen3 and Ys8 ps4 performance as the reason. (yes, that Ys 8 that is mocked sometimes around these threads too).

Their end of FY report should be soon, so we'll see, but they are already guaranteed to have the best performance since 2014, the launch of Sen2, so that's something.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Falcom revised up their forecast just before the Sen3 launch (almost 15% up on net income), using both preorders for Sen3 and Ys8 ps4 performance as the reason. (yes, that Ys 8 that is mocked sometimes around these threads too).

Their end of FY report should be soon, so we'll see, but they are already guaranteed to have the best performance since 2014, the launch of Sen2, so that's something.

Fair enough. I thought Ys 8 actually did better than most expected though?(I genuinely can't even remember when it released)

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Ys 8 did well with PSV+PS4 sales?

This can't be possible... right?
I think the article is specifically about AA games.

Well considering the expected releases for Capcom next year is MHW and DMC5, I wouldn't be surprised.

My comment was in the context that someone was defending that if a company says they're happy with the performance of something, that's all it matters, no matter what the data available says. This is something that is valid or not depending on the company, sadly.

The user in question has been temp. baned so I don't want to really dig into this anymore, but there are valid points in both analyzing the data we have and trusting to some extend that a company does not release their games blindly and accounts for the current climate and opportunities for their titles when evaluating performance.

Btw, Falcom investors are not really sad if you're following their financials, but that's for another argument.

Agreed.

Mr.Bomb

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
What's the bet on Xbox One Sales in Japan? I think it might break 1,000 because of new console smell and then drop back into below 300 the next week..

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they name dropped Ace Attorney, but what they stated is that they're preparing different games for Switch, such as AA, for Switch. Not that it's the only series they're working on for the system.

Let's just say that I hope next year's lineup is THIS Ace Attorney-centric, then XD

The jist of my point was, as others have noted, that AA is as low on the rung you can go while still feigning even the slightest bit of relevance in your portfolio. To open with that lowest rung means the other rungs are empty. Basically a one step ladder, but that should not be surprising. I had noted this when they first spoke on "oh we're bringing hit series in the west and Japan" and the most representative thing they could muster was AA which is not exactly "a hit series" in either territory and they barely ever even retail release them in the west.

All said, I was calling out their PR farce for what it was, a PR farce after the backlash and being left behind by basically every one else in the industry aside from EA.

The rumor outlines an effectively empty year from Capcom aside from compilations ports (because that's all you can do when you have no actual dev pipelines for meaningful releases) and a half-release of a new game with a limited initial count on court cases, suggesting either its being rushed to FY or that they think they can try and push AA into a GaaS/episodic nature.

And I don't even define this as cynicism. I think Capcom was just honestly 100% unprepared and now cannot do anything. No other reason to have idiotic PR like "we can't make games in the first year!".

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear that KT is betting money on the FEW results, and good to see pre-orders for Xb2 increase

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There's also context of where it was said. Koei mentioned positive global FEW sales in their fiscal report and that they were raising their guidance due to that. Falcom said they were happy with Japanese CS3 sales on twitter after the disappointing tracker sales were public. It's a false equivalency being drawn, in a pretty transparent "Nintendo bias" gotcha attempt.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, let's not ignore Ni-Oh keeping good sales being a big part of Koei Tecmo revising up their forecast. With what they had, Falcom is probably very happy with their sales and thinks they can get what used to be the Vita revenue with western sales on Steam (this is the one thing we have to follow). I think both companies being happy with their results this quarter just means they either hit their targets or went over it.

But really, this is silly. What's the point in comparing these two games? We all know FEW isn't beating Hyrule Warriors or that Sen 3 won't beat game with Vita releases. They still did well for their companies.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About Falcom

Seriously, anyone who wants to talk about Falcom intelligently better know their shit, or it is just console warring (NSW dumbness, is Sen3 a hit/bomb and all that).

The issue with Falcom, is that no matter what they do or say publicly, they will not be able to expand to Switch in the short term, and the reasons can't be said out loud.

This is because of how tightly run their development pipeline is and the reluctance to take on added fixed costs (a trend that applies to all JP companies). Look at Falcom output for the past 4 years and the revenue generated (apart from license deals).

2013: PS3 +PSV Sen no Kiseki (1.4 billion yen)

2014: PSV+PS3 Sen no Kiseki 2 JP/CN/KR + Sen no Kiseki CN/KR for both PSV+PS3 (1.8 billion yen)

2015: Budget Release of Sen no Kiseki + Tokyo Xanadu (0.77 billion yen)

2016: PSV Us LoD + PSV Budget Tokyo Xanadu + PS4 Tokyo Xanadu (0.817 billion yen)

2017: PS4 Ys LoD +PS4 Sen 3 (1.14 billion yen).

2018: PS4 Sen 4 + PS4 Sen 1+ PS4 Sen 2 (???)

Now from this, you can see that the transition years from PSV+PS3 has hurt them bad, as they are getting used to trading PS3 for PS4 (and it's lower install base and higher gfx requirement), and while they experimented with Tokyo Xanadu.

Despite the sales of Sen 3 making growth look good YoY (vs Tokyo Xanadu lol), they have not even touched the previous best years at all. The death of the Vita also represents a permanently shrunk market going forward for them.

Their business strategy in the recent years seems to be:

1) more aggressive licensing of legacy games.

2) aiming to release at least 1 major SKUs and 1-2 minor SKUs each year. They probably want even more.

Licensing has taken up a increasingly large portion of their revenue (from ∼17% in 2013 to 45% in 2017), and this is helping the company grow in terms of overall revenue due to it being low overhead business. However, it is also a resource that is finite as they draw down their legacy IP licenses. New licensing opportunities going forward is heavily dependent on having new games.

Falcom knows this, this is why it shifted from doing localized versions in-house and putting the onus in licensed partners. Their development resources has to be used to generate new content for the year to year health of the company.

In such an environment, it is vital that the development pipeline is on the ball with regards to putting out games. As you can expect, this means Falcom is running a very tight ship. In such an environment, Falcom simply do not have developer resources to do NSW even if they wanted to.

Now some posters will ask why don't they hire more developers, the answer is simple. Japan, as a whole, is reluctant to even entertain wage increases, much less take on more hires...even when the economy is expanding.This is due to worries on fixed costs. It is remarkable difficult to fire people in Japan; Furthermore, for development houses, a huge investment on job training is required for a competent worker due to the cultural practices and education structure of the Japan.

In the face, of this, a growth strategy that trades the known (possible shrinkage sales, fixed investment, well-understood PS fanbase) for the unknown (chance of growth, more investment, unknown NSW fanbase) I think most people will choose the latter if they are Falcom. Bigger companies with more development resources can be more adventurous (see Bamco/SE vs Capcom).

Falcom is never going to say that as a reason, as it makes them look hand-to-mouth. This is why you sometime see non-sequitur answers from the CEO with regards to NSW. Falcom is what Falcom is, so there is nothing to begrudge.

Maybe the Falcom CEO DOES have a grudge with Nintendo, but it is pointless to speculate on such things since we have no information on this at all, unless something leaks.

Also, I am not saying they can't change their strategy, it is just that it is unlikely going forward.

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Did Level-5 ever get their act together again? I swear a few years ago they were on top of the world with yokai watch and here we are in late 2017 with Yokai watch close to being dead. And not any well received game releases since.

Oct 25, 2017
Did Level-5 ever get their act together again? I swear a few years ago they were on top of the world with yokai watch and here we are in late 2017 with Yokai watch close to being dead. And not any well received game releases since.
I'm beginning to think Ni no Kuni II is their comeback special. I haven't heard much about Snack World anywhere.

horuhe

Oct 25, 2017
京都市

Not really.

I mean, making them like you are quoting someone, like this.
894931DOA5r9VV4AANHI.jpg

980906DOa49xkV4AA7sgq.jpg

586558DOgFd1FVoAACymY.jpg

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I might buy that,but 29k yen hmmmm
Hopefully I've all but given up on the idea that they will ever pull off their mobile plans correctly. So at least if Ni no Kuni II takes off they'll at least have a vague direction to take the company in.
Does that game have any chance to be successful to begin with?So far the reception has been dead silent

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully I've all but given up on the idea that they will ever pull off their mobile plans correctly. So at least if Ni no Kuni II takes off they'll at least have a vague direction to take the company in.
Maybe it's me being negative but I can't see Ni no Kuni II selling well due to mediocre reception of the previous title. It's also currently ranking really low on Amazon Japan, the highest being the Complete Edition @ #578.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I might buy that,but 29k yen hmmmm

Does that game have any chance to be successful to begin with?So far the reception has been dead silent
Maybe it's me being negative but I can't see Ni no Kuni II selling well due to mediocre reception of the previous title. It's also currently ranking really low on Amazon Japan, the highest being the Complete Edition @ #578.
Whoops probably should have clarified a bit in my post I'm only positive it could get it's success outside of Japan. I would have only felt good at Ni no Kuni's odds had it been a smart phone game or a 3ds game released 2-3 years ago if I was looking at the Japanese market.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Whoops probably should have clarified a bit in my post I'm only positive it could get it's success outside of Japan. I would have only felt good at Ni no Kuni's odds had it been a smart phone game or a 3ds game released 2-3 years ago if I was looking at the Japanese market.
I don't think the reception in the west has been any better than Japan either
Edit:yeah well,maybe a little better

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might be wrong it'll be Bandai Namco that reap any benefits/revenue if there are any to be had from ninokuni2.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's also context of where it was said. Koei mentioned positive global FEW sales in their fiscal report and that they were raising their guidance due to that. Falcom said they were happy with Japanese CS3 sales on twitter after the disappointing tracker sales were public. It's a false equivalency being drawn, in a pretty transparent "Nintendo bias" gotcha attempt.

There is also release of Ys 8 in the west for Falcom recently that might have contributed to revised profit forecast.
It's a bit difficult to ascertain whether upward adjustment of the profit is due to Sen 3 overperforming Falcom's expectation or Ys 8 in the west overperforming.
There is no question if compared to previous entries that Sen 3 is underperforming.
Falcom literally has to either be more aggressive with licensing out their games, or re-use assets to produce more outputs as can be seen by Tokyo Xanadu reusing Sen's assets.
I'm hoping they can find more partners to license out and reach wider audience, since I'm not too thrilled about assets re-use.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well as dead as Ni No Kuni 2 reception this point of time is, it still should sold moar than Xeno 2 or Sen 3 right guys?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
They wanted to take a break from YW in 2017 in favor of building up other franchises, but they all ended up with massive delays.

Ni No Kuni 2 was made for the west and I'm not even expecting much there.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Well as dead as Ni No Kuni 2 reception this point of time is, it still should sold moar than Xeno 2 or Sen 3 right guys?
yeah bruh,Ni No Kuni 2 will do ok while Xeno 2 will do well just like Sen 3 did ok since it charted on amazon jp while mhw don't chart on the us amazon.And with the way your saying I suggest that you have some idolm@ster slant in your comments,better watch out :P
I don't even know what I was talking about

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I don't think the reception in the west has been any better than Japan either
Edit:yeah well,maybe a little better
I'm a bit torn on the west. It'll get released sell maybe a couple hundred thousands units and then die off. The only thing I'm not sure on and is the reason I haven't written the game off as a future flop is if it manages to get good word of mouth and Bandai Namco can couple it with some aggressive sales I think it could squeeze out a decent number. Not great numbers just decent.

Last edited:

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Update: 2017, October

Geo_Corporation_Japan.gif

Geo ~ 1.200 stores.

GEO , Weekly Ranking Sales, 2017 (Nov 6 - Nov 12)

01 - [PS4] Call of Duty World War II
02 - [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey
03 - [PS4] Need for Speed Payback
04 - [NSW] Splatoon 2
05 - [PS4] ARK: Survival Evolved
06 - [PS4] Assassin's Creed Origins
07 - [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
08 - [PS4] Sonic Force
09 - [3DS] Girls Mode 4 Star ☆ Stylist
10 - [PS4] .hack // G.U. Last Recode

GEO, Monthly Hardware Ranking Sales, 2017 October
01 - Nintendo Classic Super Famicom Mini
02 - Switch
03 - PS4
04 - New 2DS LL
05 - PS4 PRO
06 - New 3DS LL
07 - PSV
08 - 2DS
09 - New 3DS
10 - WiiU

GEO, Monthly Second Hand Hardware Ranking Sales, 2017 October
01 - PS4
02 - PS3
03 - PS4 PRO
04 - New 3DS LL
05 - PSV
06 - Switch
07 - WiiU
08 - New 2DS LL
09 - Nintendo Classic Famicom Mini
10 - Nintendo Classic Super Famicom Mini

GEO, Monthly Software Ranking Sales, 2017 October
01 - [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey
02 - [PS4] Gran Turismo SPORT
03 - [PS4] ARK: Survival Evolved
04 - [PS4] Assassin's Creed Origins
05 - [PS4] Psycho Break 2
06 - [NSW] Splatoon 2
07 - [PS4] City Shrouded in Shadow
08 - [PS4] Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary
09 - [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
10 - [PS4] Shadow of War

GEO, Monthly Second Hand Software Ranking Sales, 2017 October
01 - [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
02 - [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
03 - [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross
04 - [3DS] Pokémon Sun/Moon
05 - [NSW] Splatoon 2
06 - [PS4] Rainbow Six Siege
07 - [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
08 - [3DS] Monster Hunter Cross
09 - [PS4] NieR:Automata
10 - [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo

September:
GEO, Monthly Hardware Ranking Sales, 2017 September
01 - Switch
02 - PS4
03 - New 2DS LL
04 - PS4 PRO
05 - New 3DS LL
06 - PSV
07 - 2DS
08 - New 3DS
09 - Wii U
10 - PS3

GEO, Monthly Second Hand Hardware Ranking Sales, 2017 September
01 - PS4
02 - New 3DS LL
03 - PS4 PRO
04 - PSV
05 - PS3
06 - PS3
07 - Switch
08 - New 2DS LL
09 - 3DS LL
10 - New 3DS

GEO, Monthly Software Ranking Sales, 2017 September
01 - [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018
02 - [PS4] Destiny 2
03 - [PS4] New Everybody's GOLF
04 - [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
05 - [PS4] FIFA 18
06 - [NSW] POKKÉN TOURNAMENT DX
07 - [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver.
08 - [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
09 - [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
10 - [NSW] Splatoon 2

GEO, Monthly Second Hand Software Ranking Sales, 2017 September
01 - [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
02 - [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross
03 - [3DS] Monster Hunter Cross
04 - [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
05 - [PS4] Rainbow Six Siege
06 - [3DS] Pokémon Sun/Moon
07 - [NSW] Splatoon 2
08 - [PS4] Nioh
09 - [3DS] Pokémon X/Y
10 - [PS4] NieR:Automata

Last edited:

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah bruh,Ni No Kuni 2 will do ok while Xeno 2 will do well just like Sen 3 did ok since it charted on amazon jp while mhw don't chart on the us amazon.And with the way your saying I suggest that you have some idolm@ster slant in your comments,better watch out :P
I don't even know what I was talking about

Lolol. I am huge Idolmaster fan lol. See my Avatar and the ultimate goddess kanade and iidashi there?^_^

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

They still have plenty of money thanks to YW. Let's remember the game was a huge money-maker back then. YW2 sold more than 5m unita across the three entries.

At this point, though, YW is fading and they weren't able to establish a comparable franchise. We must keep in mind that imposing a new franchise in the kids market can require time and effort (many trials). After Inazuma Eleven they've released many games on PSP/3DS but only YW eventually succeeded big time. I feel Level-5 needs to take its time on Switch to impose a new franchise—and I'm confident they'll be able to do that given their history.

The Snack World is their new cross-media franchise. It's selling constantly and might sell well over time though not at YW levels. Let's see how it performs during holidays because this will tell us whether it can reach 500k units (a good foundation for a sequel) or will fall short around 250-300k.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They still have plenty of money thanks to YW. Let's remember the game was a huge money-maker back then. YW2 sold more than 5m unita across the three entries.

At this point, though, YW is fading and they weren't able to establish a comparable franchise. We must keep in mind that imposing a new franchise in the kids market can require time and effort (many trials). After Inazuma Eleven they've released many games on PSP/3DS but only YW eventually succeeded big time. I feel Level-5 needs to take its time on Switch to impose a new franchise—and I'm confident they'll be able to do that given their history.

The Snack World is their new cross-media franchise. It's selling constantly and might sell well over time though not at YW levels. Let's see how it performs during holidays because this will tell us whether it can reach 500k units (a good foundation for a sequel) or will fall short around 250-300k.

The reason why i feel L-5 is not going to found it that easy to capture such success anymore on Switch this time is simply because, i don't think Switch is really friendly towards child demographic.

The price which is more expensive than 3DS, the price of each games which now is more or less the same as console game price all is going to be a big no no for parents to give for children. And considering how much L-5 is dependent on kids market, Switch does not seems to be a really good market at this point. Mobile is much much better. But we know, how much had L-5 F up all these recent years. So it is not going to shock me if they would struggle for long time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.