• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought that the 2D mode of DQXI is a perfect fit for mobile. Then again so is the 3D version.
Actually if SE wanted they could release all the versions (2D-3D-Unreal 4) as independent releases for mobile. There are many people who would not only double dip but also triple dip.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought that the 2D mode of DQXI is a perfect fit for mobile. Then again so is the 3D version.
Actually if SE wanted they could release all the versions (2D-3D-Unreal 4) as independent releases for mobile. There are many people who would not only double dip but also triple dip.
given how many people are already decrying the downgrade that the UE4 version might get for the Switch port, I'm not too sure that a Mobile port is in the cards at the moment

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where to share my unbearable hype for Xeno blade 2 after having played the first 3 hours

:|

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
ComG! pre-orders:

IdealisticIdealJaguarundi.gif

PREDICTIONS
XENOBLADE 2 SWITCH, FIRST WEEK SALES, 2017 (Nov 27 - Dec 3) AND END OF YEAR, 2017 (Dec 25 - Dec 31)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...3-2017-oct-23-oct-29.3159/page-22#post-545452

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with Xenoblade 2 news since September, but it sounds like early impressions have been largely positive, correct?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
UE4 does run on mobile. The main issue is file size though, since mobile games tend to be smaller.

Also whilst top end smartphones are more than competitive with Switch it will be a while until the average smartphone can replicate the experience to a satisfactory level. Also keeping in mind that they're apparently having difficulties scaling it down to Switch anyway.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Also whilst top end smartphones are more than competitive with Switch it will be a while until the average smartphone can replicate the experience to a satisfactory level. Also keeping in mind that they're apparently having difficulties scaling it down to Switch anyway.
Plus the mighty iPhone X has a ram deficit Compared to the SW.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? As soon as UE4 can run on mobile, nothing will be preventing it from happening.
anything can be downgraded to run, but fitting this game into a mobile phone envelope, file size-wise, might be on the difficult side. and most phones are even more limited than the switch is due to throttling, so the version might end up much worse than how the Switch version will end up. a good thought experiment, but this might be too much of a stretch, porting-wise. and I say this as a person who doesnt have a PS4/XBO, but a Switch (and PC)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Did we get the latest e-shop chart ? I want to see how XC2 is doing and if the version with the season pass is still ahead.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Already? I didn't know that.
I guess the file size could be an issue. The PS4 version weighs 30gb. I wonder if the Switch version will be smaller.

I believe UE4 has supported mobile for a long time(since inception?). A lot of the more impressive mobile games(like Lineage) are running on the engine.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also whilst top end smartphones are more than competitive with Switch it will be a while until the average smartphone can replicate the experience to a satisfactory level.

I mean, thats highly debatable when talking about gaming functionality, because most top end smartphones are still using what is the equivalent of integrated graphics and not a dedicated GPU. Even ignoring OS overheads and form factor differences (like having a controller as standard), or that most devices are using the equivalent of DirectX 9 functionality where the Switch has DirectX 12 functionality (mobile devices aren't using DirectX at all, but you get my point).
Metal might change things somewhat on the iDevice side of things, but I think you're underestimating the Switchs capabilities / overestimating smartphone capabilities.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
In general, I'm very curious as to how and when they transition the DQ canon from DS/3DS to Switch/(PS4).

3DS could play every DQ game by the end, from I through XI. Switch in particular ought to be that sort of platform by the end, imo. Given that I think the series is trending straight PS4/Switch multipltaform, I think all of the games would show up there too.

When/if they do a DQIX remake for Switch/PS4, they should port it to mobile too. At some point as DQXI ages, it should go to mobile too. SE has had a very comprehensive DQ strategy (for Japan) during the DS generations and the rise of mobile, with the only "hitch," imo, being the signalling of switching over to PS ecosystem leading up to DQXI. I hope they do similarly well in the time of Switch and its successors.

It'll be interesting when DQXII comes around. They can easily use the 3DS versions of XI for mobile but I imagine XII will be native to PS4/Switch(/PS5).

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
XB2 FW: 100k
XB2 2017: 150k

Not really sure how accurate this will be, but I'm confident it will open higher and end with better sales than the other Xenoblade games.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Already? I didn't know that.
I guess the file size could be an issue. The PS4 version weighs 30gb. I wonder if the Switch version will be smaller.
Yeah, that's actually part of why UE4 runs on the Switch so well. Back when the Tegra X1 was first announced ~3 years ago, NVIDIA and Epic entered a wide ranging deal to have Epic heavily optimize for their mobile chips with Unreal Engine 4. They've been on mobile ever since.

Epic may have actually worked with the Switch's processor (the X1) for up to a year longer than even Nintendo itself.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, thats highly debatable when talking about gaming functionality, because most top end smartphones are still using what is the equivalent of integrated graphics and not a dedicated GPU. Even ignoring OS overheads and form factor differences (like having a controller as standard), or that most devices are using the equivalent of DirectX 9 functionality where the Switch has DirectX 12 functionality (mobile devices aren't using DirectX at all, but you get my point).
Metal might change things somewhat on the iDevice side of things, but I think you're underestimating the Switchs capabilities / overestimating smartphone capabilities.

I don't think a high end mobile games and a midrange Switch game are all that different and that's taking into account that no mobile game will use the full power of a high end phone.

Something like Star Ocean compares favourably IMO

In general, I'm very curious as to how and when they transition the DQ canon from DS/3DS to Switch/(PS4).

3DS could play every DQ game by the end, from I through XI. Switch in particular ought to be that sort of platform by the end, imo. Given that I think the series is trending straight PS4/Switch multipltaform, I think all of the games would show up there too.

When/if they do a DQIX remake for Switch/PS4, they should port it to mobile too. At some point as DQXI ages, it should go to mobile too. SE has had a very comprehensive DQ strategy (for Japan) during the DS generations and the rise of mobile, with the only "hitch," imo, being the signalling of switching over to PS ecosystem leading up to DQXI. I hope they do similarly well in the time of Switch and its successors.

It'll be interesting when DQXII comes around. They can easily use the 3DS versions of XI for mobile but I imagine XII will be native to PS4/Switch(/PS5).

I don't think PS4 will be around by the time DQXII happens and they can't do separate Switch and PS5 versions, nor can they do a straight multiplatform release. I'm honestly not sure what they'll do

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see:

Say PS5 is 2020
Say Switch 2 is 2022-2023.

DQXII probably comes out in 2020+. I think there is some reason to think it might take three years, rather than four or five, because I think that is about how long DQXI took from the main DQX team transitioning over to it. If it can come out in three years, I see DQXI as a PS4/Switch game with perhaps a PS5 "enhanced" releases for ~PS5 launch. That'd be nice. But you're right, DQ is a big thing and could well take 4-5 years between entries, something it has done in the past often since the SFC days.

I don't think DQ skips Switch going forward, given how they introduced a whole second version of DQXI just to get it on 3DS. They value that market too much and Switch is looking like it can carry that torch, so far at least.

Let's say it is a 2021 release and PS5 has come out already. I think it might still be PS4/Switch/PS5 cross-gen title with PS4 as the base version and a Switch down-port and PS5 enhanced version.

I think this becomes less likely in 2022, 2 years after a hypothetical PS5 release. Say that Switch 2 isn't out. DK what happens there. Maybe Switch exclusive? Maybe PS5 exclusive? Maybe PS5 release and then a Switch 2 version the next year when perhaps it comes out?

Say Switch 2 is out and Switch had a healthy life. Then perhaps a 2022 DQXII is a Switch 2 game with a PS5 up-port?

Oct 25, 2017
The releasing timing of the Switch is fairly odd. Half way through the life cycle of the "current gen" systems.

I think Switch will transfer over to mobile like increments...kind of like the PS4 Pro.

Not sure if Nintendo will Ok exclusives for that unlike Sony/MS with the Pro/X. They did allow a few New 3DS exclusives.
DQXII, a new Zelda, and a new Mario could theoretically release soon after this revision (if they wait 3 years)
Probably a good way to keep sales up throughout the years and not get left behind by a PS5.
...though that's a bit off topic.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UE4 does run on mobile. The main issue is file size though, since mobile games tend to be smaller.

I think pricing structure is a bigger issue than file size or technical limitations. For one, it has been nearly 4 years since the last mainline DQ was ported to smartphones, DQ9 has not yet come, and SE seems to have adapted to the mobile market.

I feel that the lesson SE learnt is that mobile needs it's own unique software and revenue structure. Premium mobile games are just limited in potential popularity (even though DQ is quite,).

I think the difficulties are mostly to do with the fact that DQ11 is running on UE4 ver4.13, while Switch support only happened in ver4.15.

Additionally, if the rumours around VA, ochestrated music, and added content is true..then that could have added additional development time.

Let's see:

Say PS5 is 2020
Say Switch 2 is 2022-2023.

DQXII probably comes out in 2020+. I think there is some reason to think it might take three years, rather than four or five, because I think that is about how long DQXI took from the main DQX team transitioning over to it. If it can come out in three years, I see DQXI as a PS4/Switch game with perhaps a PS5 "enhanced" releases for ~PS5 launch. That'd be nice. But you're right, DQ is a big thing and could well take 4-5 years between entries, something it has done in the past often since the SFC days.

I don't think DQ skips Switch going forward, given how they introduced a whole second version of DQXI just to get it on 3DS. They value that market too much and Switch is looking like it can carry that torch, so far at least.

Let's say it is a 2021 release and PS5 has come out already. I think it might still be PS4/Switch/PS5 cross-gen title with PS4 as the base version and a Switch down-port and PS5 enhanced version.

I think this becomes less likely in 2022, 2 years after a hypothetical PS5 release. Say that Switch 2 isn't out. DK what happens there. Maybe Switch exclusive? Maybe PS5 exclusive? Maybe PS5 release and then a Switch 2 version the next year when perhaps it comes out?

Say Switch 2 is out and Switch had a healthy life. Then perhaps a 2022 DQXII is a Switch 2 game with a PS5 up-port?

If the switch is treated like a HH, then a significantly stronger iteration can happen in 2020, which is the rumored/expected PS5 date anyway.

The only question is not the intent of Nintendo, who always saw Switch as a family of devices, but the technical side of things. Tegra X2 is a limited upgrade of the Tegra X1. Xavier itself represents a bigger potential genreration leap (XBO level).

The only problem is that nobody knows when Xavier will be shrunk down to mobile SOC size...

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I think pricing structure is a bigger issue than file size or technical limitations. For one, it has been nearly 4 years since the last mainline DQ was ported to smartphones, DQ9 has not yet come, and SE seems to have adapted to the mobile market.

I feel that the lesson SE learnt is that mobile needs it's own unique software and revenue structure. Premium mobile games are just limited in potential popularity (even though DQ is quite,).

I think the difficulties are mostly to do with the fact that DQ11 is running on UE4 ver4.13, while Switch support only happened in ver4.15.

Additionally, if the rumours around VA, ochestrated music, and added content is true..then that could have added additional development time.

If the switch is treated like a HH, then a significantly stronger iteration can happen in 2020, which is the rumored/expected PS5 date anyway.

The only question is not the intent of Nintendo, who always saw Switch as a family of devices, but the technical side of things. Tegra X2 is a limited upgrade of the Tegra X1. Xavier itself represents a bigger potential genreration leap (XBO level).

The only problem is that nobody knows when Xavier will be shrunk down to mobile SOC size...
The reasoning for the new initiative in question (as of May 2016):

Square Enix said:
Let's first look at premium apps for smart devices. Currently, the smart device game market is essentially dominated by F2P games. However, advancements in smartphone performance are beginning to make it possible to play content-rich games that ordinarily would have been suited for portable game consoles. Games like FINAL FANTASY IX, ADVENTURES OF MANA, and Romancing SaGa, which you see here, may not generate the sort of explosive sales that F2P games do, but they have been strong sellers over the long term, meaning that they have scalability over time.

Meanwhile, as I mentioned earlier, the release of new titles in the FINAL FANTASY franchise results in strong app sales of previous FINAL FANTASY titles. As such, we see the premium app game business as a self-sustaining business while the F2P business requires continuous operational efforts to generate revenue.

Provided that we are able to enliven the premium app game market in such a way that we can set appropriate sales prices and secure our margins, we believe that the market is one that holds significant promise. We also believe that the earnings impact could be significant once development costs have been depreciated and earnings begin to accumulate. Given the massive installed base of smartphones, we intend to devote solid investments to this domain, including in terms of new title development.
Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/160512/page09.html

And regarding handheld games also being mobile games (September 2016):

Square Enix said:
1) Enhancing our offering of premium apps for smart devices

Currently, the global market for smart device games is dominated by F2P (free to play) games, and the
market for premium games that players pay to purchase is practically nonexistent. However, our Group
has for some time been offering premium games for smart devices, including brand new titles. When
viewed across the Group, these offerings represent a considerable volume of earnings.

F2P games have achieved remarkable growth thanks to their massive download numbers and
significant active user bases that generate fee revenues. Many companies entered the market
because of the perception that F2P games cost less to develop than traditional console games while
also offering the potential for significant earnings. As a result, the market as a whole saw major growth,
but competition reached excessive levels. Meanwhile, marked advancements were made in smart
device performance, and consumers of F2P games grew more demanding. As such, the market
ceased to provide major returns for low-budget development.

However, the picture for premium games is different. Initial development costs for both F2P and
premium games are roughly the same as or even higher than those for new games for dedicated
handheld game machines.
In other words, the level of investment required cannot be considered low
risk. The risk involved in F2P games is even higher than for premium games because of the need to
spend on ongoing operational and additional development efforts.

F2P games generate massive download numbers because basic play is free. They thereby
establish significant active user bases and present major earnings potential. Premium games, meanwhile,
offer the advantage of generating purchases over a long period of time after their initial development
costs have been fully depreciated.

Premium games naturally need to be modified to keep pace with frequent OS updates and require
ongoing marketing spending to generate user awareness. However, smart devices still provide a
better platform for playing greatly loved games for many years than dedicated game consoles do
because of the latter's issues with backward compatibility.

Continuing the comparison with dedicated handheld game machines, we note that significant
advances have been made in both the specs and operability of smart devices and that this evolution
is likely to continue unabated. Moreover, smart devices have a much greater installed base globally
than dedicated handheld game machines. The smartphone-native generation already sees smart
devices as all-in-one game consoles.

For these reasons, it makes sense for game manufacturers such as ourselves to supply
games that we have traditionally developed for dedicated handheld game machines not only for
such consoles but also for multipurpose smart devices.

We believe that the operability of smart devices makes them a good match for turn- and
simulation-based RPGs, among other games. We see turn-based RPGs as a style or format of
game and do not believe them to be outdated at all. The development of such RPGs is something
that our Group has exceled at for some time.

By releasing new RPGs not only for dedicated handheld game machines but also for smart
devices, we hope to develop the premium game market into a pillar of our business on a par with
the F2P market. In so doing, we believe that we can enrich the portable game market in the
broader sense in order to respond to a variety of customer needs.
Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2016en.pdf

The thing people tend to be confused by is that these are very new initiatives that seem to have had almost no new products released under them outside of FFXV Pocket Edition.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reasoning for the new initiative in question (as of May 2016):

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/160512/page09.html

And regarding handheld games also being mobile games (September 2016):

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2016en.pdf

The thing people tend to be confused by is that these are very new initiatives that seem to have had almost no new products released under them outside of FFXV Pocket Edition.

My own take for why it is the case is that while the reasoning they provided is sound on paper, there is no real case of it working in real life..Maybe except Minecraft.

They might have cold feet, or second thoughts, or FFXV pocket might be the test game for this initiative ...Since it is a sufficiently strong brand that can help adoption of a new model.

I am at the camp that thinks mobile users might not want a upfront premium game at all, just like how console users seems allergic to F2P games (this is why companies do 60 dollar +mtx these days). I mean Mario Run is cheaper than rolling in FEH, but irrational perception of "upfront costs" vs "optional costs" tends to be in the disadvantage of premium phone games.

Of course, market could have shifted over time. However I haven't seen evidence of that yet.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Pocket Edition is interesting because it is a new version of a recently released game. It had to be too.

I don't think Dragon Quest XI would be a new version of the game. I think it would be the 3D or 2D 3DS version--maybe both. At what point can they release that for $10 or such and not set a bad precedent for quick budget re-releases of new software? A year? Two years?

Or do they somehow work in microtransactions and lessen the content value of the initial purchase, like, say, Lady Layton did recently?

How were the ports to mobile priced and spaced for the IV through VIII remakes?

As to DQIX, I think the multiplayer angle and the event angle (I forget exactly how that content worked) would suit mobile well. It is also a pretty old game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mobile chips can run DX12, they just dont have the licenses to do so. but they are capable

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
The releasing timing of the Switch is fairly odd. Half way through the life cycle of the "current gen" systems.

I think Switch will transfer over to mobile like increments...kind of like the PS4 Pro.

Not sure if Nintendo will Ok exclusives for that unlike Sony/MS with the Pro/X. They did allow a few New 3DS exclusives.
DQXII, a new Zelda, and a new Mario could theoretically release soon after this revision (if they wait 3 years)
Probably a good way to keep sales up throughout the years and not get left behind by a PS5.
...though that's a bit off topic.
It's not really that odd at all. Last gen just went extremely long. They released the switch 8 months earlier than they would have historically released their next system. But a new system was coming in 2017 regardless methinks.

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry guys didn't want to to derail the thread.

Now go and tell me how hype the game is based on the 3 hrs you played. Also I can't contain my hype for the game because of this.

Looks like XB2 will open higher than the first 2 games based on eshop charts and comg preorders. I know these should not be used as a metric but I hope positive impressions and the increasing interest will lead to higher sales for it.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
My own take for why it is the case is that while the reasoning they provided is sound on paper, there is no real case of it working in real life..Maybe except Minecraft.

They might have cold feet, or second thoughts, or FFXV pocket might be the test game for this initiative ...Since it is a sufficiently strong brand that can help adoption of a new model.

I am at the camp that thinks mobile users might not want a upfront premium game at all, just like how console users seems allergic to F2P games (this is why companies do 60 dollar +mtx these days). I mean Mario Run is cheaper than rolling in FEH, but irrational perception of "upfront costs" vs "optional costs" tends to be in the disadvantage of premium phone games.

Of course, market could have shifted over time. However I haven't seen evidence of that yet.
I suspect I'm explaining the confusion insufficiently.

1.) In May 2016, Square Enix announced plans to release more premium mobile games in addition to their f2p mobile games, as they made good money over time, and would consist of a mix of ports and new premium titles.
2.) In September 2016, they announced that they intended to do this in part by releasing multiplatform mobile/handheld games.
3.) As of November 2017, they have released two new premium mobile games. One is Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition, the other is a paid conversion of Final Fantasy Dimensions 2. These are only for mobile.
4.) Since the first announcement, Square Enix has also announced Octopath Traveler, Secret of Mana, and Lost Sphear, three games that look like their handheld games would have if there were still dedicated handhelds. These are only for consoles/PC.
5.) Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition was revealed as being considered for Switch, so there's a chance this was one of the games they were referring to.
6.) However, beyond that, they've made no attempt to release their new or old handheld games on phones or release their new or old premium phone games on handhelds. Setsuna is notably at the price range where releasing it for $20 on phones should be plausible, and there's no real reason Dimensions 2 shouldn't be on handhelds.

This raises the question of what happened. They didn't seem to get cold feet on releasing more premium mobile titles or more handheld titles, but rather on porting them between the two platforms, which is odd. Mind, they also intend to release several new f2p mobile games from Japan in the West this fiscal year, and have reasserted this every single fiscal call for quite some time now, so it's possible they just haven't gotten around to announcing more things yet.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...I always just assumed it meant later ports.

If not, I think you run into the above difficulty with DQXI (I get that is an older announcement). How high can premium prices go on mobile? Can the game be bent towards another monetization?

It seems from the quotes you posted above that SE wants to keep putting out premium games on mobile. Can they do that at launch for a title going for (I'd think) significantly more on another platform?

Also, the FFXV situation is confusing and I really don't know what version they were considering for Switch if any and when. Do we have more information now than all of that strange back and forth with Tabata and the press?

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...I always just assumed it meant later ports.

If not, I think you run into the above difficulty with DQXI (I get that is an older announcement). How high can premium prices go on mobile? Can the game be bent towards another monetization?

It seems from the quotes you posted above that SE wants to keep putting out premium games on mobile. Can they do that at launch for a title going for (I'd think) significantly more on another platform?

Also, the FFXV situation is confusing and I really don't know what version they were considering for Switch if any and when. Do we have more information now than all of that strange back and forth with Tabata and the press?
This still doesn't explain the other direction though. Why are games like Dimensions 2 or even older games like the remaster of Final Fantasy Tactics not showing up on handheld?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
True. However, the quotes above seem to be just about the one direction though. The conclusion is repeatedly "Not only handhelds, but also smartphones..." It makes me think about porting from handhelds to phones much more so than vice versa personally.

Notably, they don't seem to bring up handhelds as something to consider when they talk about the viability of releasing premium games.

Edit: It is more a positive statement that although premium games are risky they are a good investment and phones are more ubiquitous than handheld consoles, so games intended for such consoles make sense to end up on mobile too. I don't see anything about how premium games make sense on handhelds too, although that is possibly something to assume in that they are describing genres that are well at home on handhelds. But then you run into Mobile>Portable maybe?

Edit 2: But another question is "why not?" If the quote is particularly about the viability of handheld games on mobile and the reason to invest in porting them and not also about the inherent viability of premium products of the same shape on handheld consoles and the reason to port them to handhelds, then why doesn't SE see that as a worthwhile opportunity to at least offset the risks they are talking about?

We do get some ports, like mobile to PC or the recent mobile to PS4/3DS DQ ports. Why don't we get more of these? I do think Mobile>Portable is part of the equation in framing the discussion this way and seemingly (to me) leaving out talk of the other direction. But at the same time, it is a clear opportunity.

As I was just saying upthread, I hope they make Switch a DQ machine like 3DS. One way to do that is to port the mobile versions over. I think having another all-DQ-available-here portable is a good thing to strive for.

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I suspect I'm explaining the confusion insufficiently.

1.) In May 2016, Square Enix announced plans to release more premium mobile games in addition to their f2p mobile games, as they made good money over time, and would consist of a mix of ports and new premium titles.
2.) In September 2016, they announced that they intended to do this in part by releasing multiplatform mobile/handheld games.
3.) As of November 2017, they have released two new premium mobile games. One is Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition, the other is a paid conversion of Final Fantasy Dimensions 2. These are only for mobile.
4.) Since the first announcement, Square Enix has also announced Octopath Traveler, Secret of Mana, and Lost Sphear, three games that look like their handheld games would have if there were still dedicated handhelds. These are only for consoles/PC.
5.) Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition was revealed as being considered for Switch, so there's a chance this was one of the games they were referring to.
6.) However, beyond that, they've made no attempt to release their new or old handheld games on phones or release their new or old premium phone games on handhelds. Setsuna is notably at the price range where releasing it for $20 on phones should be plausible, and there's no real reason Dimensions 2 shouldn't be on handhelds.

This raises the question of what happened. They didn't seem to get cold feet on releasing more premium mobile titles or more handheld titles, but rather on porting them between the two platforms, which is odd. Mind, they also intend to release several new f2p mobile games from Japan in the West this fiscal year, and have reasserted this every single fiscal call for quite some time now, so it's possible they just haven't gotten around to announcing more things yet.
My only guess on the matter is maybe Square Enix only intends to port handheld like titles over to mobile and mobile titles over to console/pc after they have finished the development cycle on said game and released it on it's original platform(s). Though this logic doesn't hold up since as you said Setsuna should have been ported but who knows. Maybe they have their own internal requirement that games need to hit to have the porting process begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.