• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon seems to be performing good on comg. Does anybody have the comg score for Smash Ultimate from the week it released?

JC317

May 29, 2018
Also, December 27th, new Yo-kai Watch anime series based on latest movie will debut.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the article correctly. Is this an actual new Yokai Watch anime series that replaces the current Yokai Watch reboot anime, or is it a one-off special just for the holidays?

Either way, Level 5 really should just stick to a formula. Despite performing worse than the OG series, Shadowside did get middling ratings that are actually better than the current reboot. Changing gears so frequently is just going to confuse its audience...

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
As always, this thread likes its doom and gloom, just yesterday some peeps were saying December looks really poor line-up-wise. Well, of course, that was because Capcom were yet to announce they're coming to save the day with some super hot, instant-best-selling titles.

On December 13th, they'll release Best Price re-release of the following games:

- Resident Evil 2 (PS4), 3990 Yen + taxes
- Devil May Cry 5 (PS4), 3990 Yen + taxes
- Resident Evil Revelations Collection (NSW), 3990 Yen + taxes. Of course, still with mandatory download for Revelations 2.

In light of this, safe to expect +160% YoY for December.

Or not.

This is how Capcom will hit their 19-20 software shipment target.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
EIwcvoFU4AAhkLz.jpg

EIrLVSTVUAAEUEW.jpg

EIlWzCNU8AYXO4y.jpg

EI5uMxlUcAIpWbH.jpg

EI5uMxlUcAErOBv.jpg

EI5uMxkVUAEfpWl.jpg

EI525-5U0AAF1mG.jpg

EIRbJHHXUAICeZD.jpg

EI1Ik-dUYAESZ0I.jpg

EJJWPTtVAAA8hnW.jpg

EImaV1nVUAAu5YN.jpg

EI-fLIQU8AA2uxu.jpg

EI0AjK0UUAEfYLN.jpg

EJD8rHZVUAA52Jo.jpg

EJKcNrcUcAA17Pb.jpg

EJFipnpU8AEdJgE.jpg

EJDzWjzU0AEApbN.jpg

EJKUlBoVUAAK4s7.jpg

EJJH5h0UwAASHk7.jpg

EI6_pFHUwAIIqRJ.jpg

EJLLiMpU4AIChLT.jpg

EJJRfecU4AAMkbM.jpg

EJJmQhsUUAAY6Kr.jpg

EJKiVQmVAAAT9fU.jpg

EIXn555XsAE8bBy.jpg

EI_dg0cUEAAbFF_.jpg

EJGUEr1UwAAb5Lv.jpg

EIrZGGpVUAAclBq.jpg

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If Switch is at 80-90k tomorrow it won't have problem to match last December's sales.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It does feel like Nintendo is finally all out in Korea, great localizations day and date, lot of advertising... The fact that it's selling faster than the PS4 is interesting and does make you wonder how the console would do in other territories where Playstation reigns alone, like the Middle east or South Africa. Knowing Nintendo, we'll probably never now.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess the rising development costs and Nintendo's falling hardware numbers at the time made it an easy decision to wait and see.
Switch has blown past all expections for it, except maybe that one Kimishima quote where they hoped it would do "Wii-like numbers". Things were dire before the Switch launch

The 3DS already was the third most successful console of all time before the Switch launched. I can understand Japanese third parties having some reservations due to the Wii U, fading 3DS sales in Japan and shaky potential overseas, but when the successor to such a massive domestic success is about to launch, you'd think you'd have a finger on the port trigger ready to pull at the first sign of success. I genuinely don't understand how slow Japanese third parties have been/are being with the Switch. Success wasn't guaranteed but it was likely.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The 3DS already was the third most successful console of all time before the Switch launched. I can understand Japanese third parties having some reservations due to the Wii U, fading 3DS sales in Japan and shaky potential overseas, but when the successor to such a massive domestic success is about to launch, you'd think you'd have a finger on the port trigger ready to pull at the first sign of success. I genuinely don't understand how slow Japanese third parties have been/are being with the Switch. Success wasn't guaranteed but it was likely.

When it comes to HD development I would imagine global sales would be considered. The Switch wasn't just a 3DS successor. It was also the Wii U's. Which one it would take after wasn't clear to anyone. It was/is priced like a home console.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017

3DS was a massive decline from DS everywhere but Japan and the Vita fucking bit it, the prevailing idea was that the handheld market was not long for the world in the smartphone era and that the market would contract still further. I didn't agree with that then and the passage of time has made it look very foolish, but you could definitely see the logic of the decison from that point of view.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon shipments in Japan (1st generation numbers aren't reliable)

[GMB] Pokemon Red |GameBoy/Super GameBoy| <RPG> (Nintendo) {1996.02.27} (¥3.900) - 4.180.000
[GMB] Pokemon Green |GameBoy/Super GameBoy| <RPG> (Nintendo) {1996.02.27} (¥3.900) - 4.040.000
[GMB] Pokemon Blue |GameBoy/Super GameBoy| <RPG> (Nintendo) {1996.10.15} (¥3.000) - 2.010.000
[GMB] Pokemon Yellow <RPG> (Nintendo) {1998.09.12} (¥3.000) - 3.160.000

[GMB] Pokemon Gold |GameBoy/GameBoy Color/Super GameBoy| <RPG> (Nintendo) {1999.11.21} (¥3.800) - 3.530.000
[GMB] Pokemon Silver |GameBoy/GameBoy Color/Super GameBoy| <RPG> (Nintendo) {1999.11.21} (¥3.800) - 3.640.000

[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2002.11.21} (¥4.571) - 5.400.000

[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2006.09.28} (¥4.571) - 5.850.000

[NDS] Pokemon Black / White <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} (¥4.571) - 5.540.000

[3DS] Pokemon X / Y <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.571) - 4.560.000

[3DS] Pokemon Sun / Moon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.11.18} (¥4.980) - 3.940.000

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Sword / Shield is a big bet for Nintendo stopping Pokemon decline in Japan. Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon showed big recovery coming from Sun / Moon underwhelming sales.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Sword / Shield is a big bet for Nintendo stopping Pokemon decline in Japan. Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon showed big recovery coming from Sun / Moon underwhelming sales.
If there are no other Pokemon games in 2020, then 4m+ should be manageable. Let's Go is already above 2m in shipments.

Pokemon has been pivotal to Switch's success both in 2018 and 2019. It bought time to EPD to developp their big games. They deserve a break in 2020.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Signs point to a big opening for Sword / Shield, unlike Let's Go there's a lot of hype surrounding it. Since it's Nintendo's major title for holidays a potential underperformance will have impact at hardware. Switch sales at weeks before and at Pokemon launch will give a very good idea of how high it can go in December.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Signs point to a big opening for Sword / Shield, unlike Let's Go there's a lot of hype surrounding it. Since it's Nintendo's major title for holidays a potential underperformance will have impact at hardware. Switch sales at weeks before and at Pokemon launch will give a very good idea of how high it can go in December.
Yep.

Benji noted that every single Switch SKU (Lite and OG) were up WoW last week in the US, drove by Pokemon's upcoming launch. If we take the impact of the Pokemon Switch Lite as +45k last week that's still 74k for the other models.

The Pokemon Switch Lite will be down WoW for sure but even then, 80-85k should be the final range if the rest of the SKUs are flat.

Now if they increased WoW, then things will be interesting we'll see !

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
If there are no other Pokemon games in 2020, then 4m+ should be manageable. Let's Go is already above 2m in shipments.

Pokemon has been pivotal to Switch's success both in 2018 and 2019. It bought time to EPD to developp their big games. They deserve a break in 2020.
In 2020, detective pikachu can make an appearance.

apotema

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico
Do we have an update from the post that gives us the released switch games each month and each season?

Who used to make it?

Example:

Spring (12 games)

March (4 games)

April (7 games)

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
everyone in this thread if pokemon overperforms at retail:

"wow just imagine how much it sold including vouchers!"

everyone in this thread if pokemon underperforms at retail:

"well we don't know how much it really sold because of vouchers"

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
everyone in this thread if pokemon overperforms at retail:

"wow just imagine how much it sold including vouchers!"

everyone in this thread if pokemon underperforms at retail:

"well we don't know how much it really sold because of vouchers"

More likely Pokemon will do OK but not amazing numbers at retail FW and the streets will run red with blood until we get a financial report to confirm things either way. Until them it will be the perfect middle ground for anyone with an agenda to run untethered. I don't even know if I want to be in this thread the next few weeks.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon cut Sun / Moon legs and definitely absorbed some of its sales. That's why it had a good performance.
By the time US/UM was announced sales of S/M had dropped to already very low levels in Japan and west. One more year gap wouldn't make a huge difference, at best case 1m worldwide.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I feel that Nintendo was expecting a bit more from Kid Icarus though. Maybe a million in Japan too, as it was pushed a lot in 2012.
KIU is a good game but with limited appeal due to its nature.
There was absolutely no way it could sell 1 million units in Japan, its game structure appealed to a niche.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017

Can you post the Pokemon pre-order data from Media Create from past games?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Hopefully a big opening for Death Stranding. I'm about 7 hours in and I'm blown away so far. A truly unique title.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is there a legit business reason for not putting Person 5 on the switch? not port begging as i don't want to play it but that seems like a no brainer and gets you easy sales.