• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well to be fair, it did debut at roughly half of LM2. Obviously vouchers and holiday legs will tell the full story but as far as FW retail sales it's just decent.
Sorry that's not how it works. Digital is much bigger now so retail doesn't tell the full story. It's not "ok" when you know digital sales are far higher now than games on the 3DS game out

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry that's not how it works. Digital is much bigger now so retail doesn't tell the full story. It's not "ok" when you know digital sales are far higher now than games on the 3DS game out

Digital sales won't be 50%.

[3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.800) - 301.080 / NEW
[NSW] Luigi's Mansion 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.10.31} (¥5.980) - 150.649 / NEW

Just ok start considering voucher is the normal thing.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
ChrisTillmanIsAJerk.0.0.png

Full price re-release bullshit.....
Havent been following P5R, but did the game had very little new content?

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Would it really be worth the trouble just to save sales in your weakest market when the new system is about to get the focus?

I think they will dump the Pro and stick with a cheap slim and a PS5. What's the point of getting a Pro when a PS5 exists? You either go cheap or go new and more technically advanced; no room for a middle ground in my opinion.
Well the benefice would be for all of their markets with a stronger base ps4 that can last longer so they can position it as the low entry level of the ps ecosystem? I mean it all depends if it's tech possible and if it fits with their strategy. Just wondering.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Havent been following P5R, but did the game had very little new content?

Added contents satification is subjective.

But my main suffering (I still cry while play it every night) was that main storyline barely change, they just add random new things here and there and that (spoiler) but overall first 100 hours almost the same old shit I tired of it, and I only finish P5 just twice.

Just typing make my eyes teary already..................They will get karma someday.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Added contents satification is subjective.

But my main suffering (I still cry while play it every night) was that main storyline barely change, they just add random new things here and there and that (spoiler) but overall first 100 hours almost the same old shit I tired of it, and I only finish P5 just twice.

Just typing make my eyes teary already..................They will get karma someday.
So Atlus took advantage of their fan base and made this a bigger deal than it really was? That's low. I read the spoiler thread and decided it really wasn't worth the double dip or time investment, but it's crazy how many people they duped when this could've just been DLC.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
"Luigi is ok". I swear this place can be so negative

I mean regardless of whether it's good or not in a vacuum (it is) it's still down from the last game in Japan, even with the best case scenario for digital sales. It'll be up everywhere else and probably lifetime in Japan but the first week sales are a bit meh.

It just goes to show how disproportionately well the 3DS and its software did in Japan compared to the rest of the world.

Qubie

Oct 25, 2017
05./00. [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 <SPT> (Sega) {2019.11.01} (¥5.990) - 19.438 / NEW

Terrible debut. Second worst in history, sandwiched between two WiiU games. Not the debut one would expect for a successful game, even if long term sales will put in multiple times the FW sales. It should be one of the poorer selling games in the franchise, which is really bad considering it represents the Tokyo Olympics. Only hope for it now is that the Olympics are not being felt by the Japanese and that the sales will pick up by a remarkably larger amount compared even to its leggy predecessors.

Nintendo marketing on Wii U > SEGA marketing on Switch

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
Nice start for Luigi's Mansion, I guess, but the game is so freaking good that it deserved a lot more. My game of the year so far, and probably my second favorite Switch game, behind BotW.

Also, holy crap at those HW numbers. All of the other consoles combined don't amount to 5% of Switch sales. Oof.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
I wasn't around for sales during the 3ds, so hearing LM2 did 300,000 is quite something! Does anyone know if there was a reason FW numbers were so high? Or was that typical of first-party games on the 3ds?

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Ooof, that's low for Mario & Sonic.

I think OG Switch is holding because of RFA, otherwise it'd be more affected by Lite.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the PS4 wasn't doing too hot earlier this year either but now the hardware sales are just extremely low. Now if it has something to do with the PS5 announcement, I don't know but all the notable releases in the past weeks did not do anything for hardware sales (Call of Duty or P5R for example).

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't around for sales during the 3ds, so hearing LM2 did 300,000 is quite something! Does anyone know if there was a reason FW numbers were so high? Or was that typical of first-party games on the 3ds?
LM2 clearly beat expectations in Japan (and worldwide). It could be the only series from 3DS that Switch will have problem to beat in Japan.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you surprised?
Part of the identity and reason for existing for the lite model is that it is a cheaper version of the platform. This means that the people looking to get the platform at the best price, should have moved from Switch to Switch lite, but this doesn't seem to have happened. It reinforces the idea that the hybrid nature of the Switch is a much bigger deal than first thought, and it means that Switch Lite is not eating into those Switch sales, but growing a separate market for itself as a slightly more focused handheld, it selling less weekly (on average) than the Switch, means the market is more interested in a premium device than a budget one. This is the opposite we see with things like the Xbox 1 X and Pro models, but does follow Nintendo's handheld/console (in case of Wii U) history of the more premium model selling more.

It could also mean that Lite is selling on top of Switch, and it isn't traditional YoY growth, which could mean a separate sales total than what we previously expected though limited. In theory, this could mean we see a YoY growth with the Switch from last holiday season (1.4M + say 30% for 1.82M, + a separate Lite total).

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Code:
WII    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games    67.054    594.157    Nintendo    22/11/2007
NDS    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games    90.793    383.558    Nintendo    17/01/2008
3DS    Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games    44.024    268.480    Nintendo    18/02/2016
NDS    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games    25.663    254.341    Nintendo    19/11/2009
3DS    Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games    46.357    236.480    Nintendo    01/03/2012
WII    Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games    24.330    221.542    Nintendo    08/12/2011
WII    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games    24.476    194.916    Nintendo    05/11/2009
WIU    Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games    21.041    124.784    Nintendo    23/06/2016
WIU    Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games    5.149    51.341    Nintendo    05/12/2013
A 300k sales amount would be a remarkable FW multiplier at 15x. As you can see, the most the franchise has done so far is 10x, and the systems listed are no slouches when it comes to legs, either. 300k would be an okay result, if a bit disappointing that the Tokyo Olympics didn't make this game big. To be big, it needs to have massively improved legs compared to its predecessors.

You forget Olympic Games will be held in Japan this year. The game will chart til next year. We might see 20-30k weeks during Olympic Games.

LM2 clearly beat expectations in Japan (and worldwide). It could be the only series from 3DS that Switch will have problem to beat in Japan.

Brain Training too!

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Why would it Affect PS4 sales at this point? Next gen buyers already have a ps4. Late gen buyers aren't getting a more expensive system at launch.
It simply dulls the luster of a brand new PS4. "I just bought a PS4" "Did you know PS5 comes out next year?!" Maybe if the price of $500 was a known factor, but the larger market might just assume that the PS5 is replacing the PS4 at the current price point, there is also nothing big coming to the system until March, so people who have waited have less incentive to pick up a PS4 now than before the PS5 announcement, when it was possible that Japan wouldn't see a PS5 until 2021.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
The milion copies sold mark is just 2 weeks away for Minecraft Switch, very interested to see where it'll stop.

The Ring Fit performance is really, really impressive, if the legs in the west are half as good I think Nintendo must be very pleased with this game.

I think Luigi might see a smaller drop in week 3 due to the Pokémon release, I think matching LM2 will be hard, but it's still achievable, especially with the holiday season so close to the release

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Holidays being so close to release is a big advantage for LM3 over 2.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Ooof, that's low for Mario & Sonic.

I think OG Switch is holding because of RFA, otherwise it'd be more affected by Lite.
But OG Switch is not holding, it's up YOY. So I would attribute some of the rise to RFA, but consider the hold part to be because Lite is not cannibalizing OG sales.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
Would it really be worth the trouble just to save sales in your weakest market when the new system is about to get the focus?

I think they will dump the Pro and stick with a cheap slim and a PS5. What's the point of getting a Pro when a PS5 exists? You either go cheap or go new and more technically advanced; no room for a middle ground in my opinion.

On per country basis, Japan comes in 2nd place after the U.S. when it comes to total PS4 hardware sales.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Switch 2019 is almost 1mi ahead of Switch 2018 and we are yet to get the biggest release of the year.

Things are going to be insane from now until January. Therefore, I predict 50k for Switch next week.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
This week confirms that PS4 will have dire numbers in Japan until it's discontinued.

People are waiting to buy PS4 for DS next week... /s

How the hell does an enhanced edition of a jrpg sell this much
I'm talking about P5R

I thought you were talking about DQ too... lol

I'm sure the rest of Asia will save Luigi.
And clearly the developer was aiming for the western market.

not sure if this is trolling or serious. Along with Pokemon, LM3 is the other big title that will carry the load for Switch during the holidays. Yes the first week did not break any records but we should wait until after the holidays to see how well/bad it does. SMM2 was not gonna hit 1 million before end of this century after the weak first weak number but things turned around very quickly and the end of this century is not even gonna be end of this year.

EDIT: Forgot about surprise hit - Ring Fit. That would carry the load for holidays as well.

Last edited:

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

that's just 1 week. and also:

+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| NSW # | 54.067 | 56.680 | 43.863 | 2.718.526 | 1.897.542 | 9.608.072 |

my point stands. I don't see the "big hardware sales = next week sofware will rise" equation. it's a wrong statement these days. the holiday season starting this week will bring bumps for sure though.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
LM3 also had 2xGold so it's probably not just vouchers affecting retail sales.

Next year is going to be very dire for the ps4.