• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
And they don't want to put Persona 5 on Switch, why?
PS4's HW is basically over, fantastic run but the 5 needs to come to town.
As for the LM3 numbers being good but not spectacular, I expect some voucher/digital only numbers to actually be pretty good but that's just my layman's guessing.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It seems to be working for me but it's Endless History's twitter account.

Thank you for posting this, it is very interesting. Looks like there are indeed doing well.
I could not find a breakdown of where the profits were coming from. They mentioned console sales and mobile. I wonder what comes from what.

This line seems promising in their 2020 outlook:

"A strengthened expansion of Falcom's IP Contents via multiplatform development".

But the other platform might be mobile.

Again thanks for posting. I am glad Falcom is doing well. Ys is one of my favorite series and regardless of what platform it's on, I want it to continue.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for posting this, it is very interesting. Looks like there are indeed doing well.
I could not find a breakdown of where the profits were coming from. They mentioned console sales and mobile. I wonder what comes from what.

This line seems promising in their 2020 outlook:

"A strengthened expansion of Falcom's IP Contents via multiplatform development".

But the other platform might be mobile.

Again thanks for posting. I am glad Falcom is doing well. Ys is one of my favorite series and regardless of what platform it's on, I want it to continue.
The examples they gave for multiplatform development were mobile titles like a port of Ys VIII, the Chinese Trails game, and Langrisser, so it will probably be more stuff like that.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Nintendo eShop Sales: October 2019 (October 1st to October 31st)

01./08. – moon (Onion Games) [10.10.2019]
02./New. – Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous) [17.10.2019]
03./New. – Luigi's Mansion 3 (Nintendo) [31.10.2019]
04./02. – Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition (Nintendo) [27.9.2019]
05./20. – Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation (Square-Enix) [27.9.2019]
06./01. – The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo) [20.9.2019]
07./New. – Pokémon Sword (The Pokémon Company) [15.11.2019]
08./New. – Pokémon Shield (The Pokémon Company) [15.11.2019]
09./15. – Minecraft (Microsoft Japan) [21.6.2018]
10./11. – Untitled Goose Game (Panic) [20.9.2019]
11./New. – Minna de Kuuki Yomi 2 (G-Mode) [26.9.2019]
12./05. – Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) [28.12.2017]
13./19. – Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
14./12. – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) [07.12.2019]
15./06. – Undertale (8-4) [15.9.2018]
16./16. – Futari de! Nyanko Dai Sensou (Ponos) [20.12.2018]
17./00. – Urban Trial Playground (Teyon Japan) [24.5.2018]
18./17. – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
19./00. – Cuphead (Studio MDHR) [18.4.2019]
20./09. – Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo) [26.7.2019]

Pokémon already ranking after just a couple of days makes me dread that upcoming thread:

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2019 (Nov 11 - Nov 17)

Oct 25, 2017
What? That's impossible!

They're supposed to be dooooooomed.

I think the main thing to really take away here is that Overseas really is propping them up, but it's less the console games doing it and more their licensing and mobile.

So clearly those are doing just fine.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It's simple, we've always seen overlap with these, ds xl models always greatly cannibalized the standard model, 2ds xl did the same even though it was missing 3d.
Ps4 pro and xb1x also cannibalized the standard console.

The expectation was that some of the people who were buying switch units, didn't care about the docking feature, especially in Japan where a lot of people don't even have TVs to use with the Switch. This model was $100 cheaper and interest some of the weekly Switch buyers, instead, Switch lite found a whole new group of people, the ones we've both been point out. I expected Switch + Switch Lite sales to be bigger than Switch sales alone, but I didn't expect to not see a drop in Switch sales.
It's ill advised to try to extract patterns from history without understanding the context and the causes behind the events.
The context behind the NSW Lite is different compared to DS XL or 2DS.
DSi and DS XL came out late in the DS lifespan when DS OG and Lite had already sold around 100 million units (in the end OG/Lite models accounted for more than 110M of the total HW sales).
They were refreshed SKUs with added features released to help expand sales after the platform was already in a mature phase.
With 2DS, Nintendo took away the console unique selling point but once again the similarity with the NSW Lite case is only superficial.
The reason is that 3DS is the only console since DS to not fully adhere to Nintendo's new console strategy.
The key element behind this strategy is that unconventional hardware features, software and everything else planned around the platform work to achieve a meaningful purpose for a broad population, it isn't just a gimmick for the sake to be different.
3DS falls in the latter category.
It's also interesting to note that of the 3DS models which deviated from the OG model the core features which prevailed (in term of sales) was the pricier XL models (bigger screen) instead of the cheaper models which removed the 3D feature.

What's the context behind the Switch Lite?
Three years in and the NSW OG sales are up YoY despite the console have yet to receive an official price cut.
NSW Lite is cheaper in price but also clearly inferior in term of features compared to the NSW (Lite is a subset of NSW).
If money isn't an issue, a consumer is more likely to buy the full featured model instead of the Lite (unless the consumer already own a NSW and his goal is to increase the personal ownership of Switch consoles in the household).

Fludd

Banned
Nov 6, 2019
Falcom's finances are shocking, considering that just about every other Japanese third-party company has been increasingly focusing on the west instead, yet Falcom does the very opposite. What gives?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It's ill advised to try to extract patterns from history without understanding the context and the causes behind the events.
The context behind the NSW Lite is different compared to DS XL or 2DS.
DSi and DS XL came out late in the DS lifespan when DS OG and Lite had already sold around 100 million units (in the end OG/Lite models accounted for more than 110M of the total HW sales).
They were refreshed SKUs with added features released to help expand sales after the platform was already in a mature phase.
With 2DS, Nintendo took away the console unique selling point but once again the similarity with the NSW Lite case is only superficial.
The reason is that 3DS is the only console since DS to not fully adhere to Nintendo's new console strategy.
The key element behind this strategy is that unconventional hardware features, software and everything else planned around the platform work to achieve a meaningful purpose for a broad population, it isn't just a gimmick for the sake to be different.
3DS falls in the latter category.
It's also interesting to note that of the 3DS models which deviated from the OG model the core features which prevailed (in term of sales) was the pricier XL models (bigger screen) instead of the cheaper models which removed the 3D feature.

What's the context behind the Switch Lite?
Three years in and the NSW OG sales are up YoY despite the console have yet to receive an official price cut.
NSW Lite is cheaper in price but also clearly inferior in term of features compared to the NSW (Lite is a subset of NSW).
If money isn't an issue, a consumer is more likely to buy the full featured model instead of the Lite (unless the consumer already own a NSW and his goal is to increase the personal ownership of Switch consoles in the household).
I'm not understanding what the real debate is here? I'm surprised that the Lite didn't overlap with OG Switch sales, most people thought that would be the case, just go back 2 months in the media create threads and you'll hear things like 'Lite won't make a large impact' a separate market is quite the opposite of that, it's only additional so far.

The context of what the Switch and Switch lite is, is actually why it's surprising. It's not that the Lite is clearly an inferior product to Japan, who doesn't care about home consoles as much are portables, and we've seen that they care even less about Nintendo home consoles, with Wii only selling 12 Million units in Japan, Wii U not breaking 4M, going back to Gamecube, it just barely hit 4M, and N64 was only a little higher there, so the idea that the Switch is selling better than the Lite because it's a home console too, is unexpected IMO. Like I said, read back a couple months, and you'll see that people thought the Lite model would be the higher selling model in Japan, not only is the opposite happening, but the Switch didn't take a hit when the Lite came out.

I'm following your logic and the context just fine, but I don't understand why you don't find it surprising, people just looking for a cheaper Switch, shouldn't that also overlap with people that were buying the Switch weekly in some regard, since you'd expect some of those Switch buyers to just be looking for the cheapest product available. This is more or less why the PS4 Slim is a better performer than the PS4 Pro, even though it lacks features that at least the company expected to be important to their customers.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Falcom list sales figures in their financial reports? Just from the MC threads alone, we know they don't sell as many games in japan as they used to

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Falcom's finances are shocking, considering that just about every other Japanese third-party company has been increasingly focusing on the west instead, yet Falcom does the very opposite. What gives?
I'm not sure they're very focused on the Japanese market either. They need to step up their game if they want to be successful in both Japan and abroad.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I can see two reasons why they thought the holiday season made more sense this time around. The first being that the Sonic movie was originally supposed to come out in November as well, and the second that they overestimated the pre-Olympics hype. I don't blame them. That damn Paprika song has been playing on TV multiple times a day every day in multiple versions sometimes sung by celebrities for a long-ass time. They probably thought they could get healthy sales even far removed from the actual Olympics this time around.
I see . I forgot about the Sonic movie, that might one reason for the game release, good point. I'm not familiar with the Paprika song :)

People have short memories. Everyone should look at how the last Olympics game sold in July/August.
The previous Mario & Sonic games that faced similar condition are Bejing 2008 and London 2012 (games released in November, the olympics being in the summer the next year), but they didnt sell much during the olympic themself. We'll see if it will be different this time when the olympics is on home turf.

EDIT: On this topic, i just noticed that there wasnt a Mario & Sonic 2018 game. Any specific reason for that?

Last edited:

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does Falcom list sales figures in their financial reports? Just from the MC threads alone, we know they don't sell as many games in japan as they used to
the current numbers only are a short powerpoint presentation, the large brunt will release at a later time which always gives a detailed breakdown of where the money comes from. They always make a lot from licensing deals and merchandise.

What's more surprising about this years' numbers is that the western sales are so high compared to asian sales given these numbers only entail the western release of CS1&2 on PS4, so a lot of it is from the back catalogue.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Dengeki

[PS4+PS3] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.09.15} (¥8.800) - 375.000 / 561.000
[PS4] Persona 5 Royal <RPG> (Atlus) {2019.10.31} (¥8.800) - 201.000 / ***.*** (80% sell-through)

[GCN] Luigi's Mansion <ACT> (Nintendo) {2001.09.14} (¥6.476) - 134.000 / 412.000
[3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.571) - 285.000 / 1.050.000
[NSW] Luigi's Mansion 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.10.31} (¥5.980) - 164.000 / ***.*** (55% sell-through)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Falcom's latest financial report just came out.
It's a record profit for the financial year.
Regional breakdown of total sales: (thousand yen increments) JP: 1,856,004; Asia: 198,628; NA/EU: 399,495 -- Total: 2,454,128
More info here.
Weird that Falcom's stock seems to be dropping on this news (to a six month low). Anyone have more insight as to why that is?

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to share lil' Falcom's results as well, really happy with another year of growth.

Trails series is now at 4,3M and they confirmed the next game will be out this fiscal year, meaning for them before the end of September 2020. Of course we should also count on the western release of Ys IX, a simultaneous multiplatform release would be nice for this one.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
That's the second time in a row that I have a hard time believing the 1st day sell-though given by MC (it was 50% for LM3 and TW3). Isn't it reliable ?

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Falcom's strong point seems to be diverse revenue sources. And their Western presence is improving. Looks like those PS4 backports did better than expected overseas, and I bet recurring revenue from PC ports combined with DLC revenue is really pushing the profits.

EDIT: Here's the chart from the twitter feed showing projected earnings.

Last edited:

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
That's the second time in a row that I have a hard time believing the 1st day sell-though given by MC (it was 50% for LM3 and TW3). Isn't it reliable ?

I was wondering if the blog lost the source or something. But this week, he leaked Persona and Luigi (200k & 140k), so it seems he still is getting Media Create numbers.

I'm not sure why the sell-through is so different. A title like Luigi could have just received a new shipment during the weekend. 50% for the first day could lead to 70-80% for overall week for this kind of title. Monday 4th was a national holiday so it gives more reasons to stock more units in advance to avoid problems.
But for the Witcher it was indeed strange, since it's not the kind of game that needs extra shipments for the weekend.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Was going to share lil' Falcom's results as well, really happy with another year of growth.

Trails series is now at 4,3M and they confirmed the next game will be out this fiscal year, meaning for them before the end of September 2020. Of course we should also count on the western release of Ys IX, a simultaneous multiplatform release would be nice for this one.
It is surprising to see their financials given the decline in their game sales but I guess as others have said licensing does well.

Speaking of sales, Ys had a much lighter drop then last week. Discounts pushing out those units.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There are several party games that will compete this December for sales on Switch.

Mario & Sonic
Disney Tsum Tsum
Fishing Spirits
Super Mario Party

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
We are still at the very begining of November but the Switch aleady has several big 3rd party games announced for it next year :

- Puzzle & Dragons
- Persona 5 Scramble
- One Piece Warriors 4
- Trials of Mana
- Rune Factory 5
- Inazuma Eleven
- Momotaro Dentetsu
- Hatsune Miku Mega39's

That's bigger than the announced Nintendo 1st party games (at the exception of AC)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Party Joy-Con bundle maintains the same price with last year. If it doesn't disappear before Christmas again it can pull some big numbers in holidays.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"It's not only raised the sell-through for the overall family, but importantly it did so without any negative impact on our flagship system," Bowser says of Switch Lite sales. "Said another way, Nintendo Switch Lite sales have been additive to the overall Switch business."

Looks like the situation in North America is the same as Japan

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
We are still at the very begining of November but the Switch aleady has several big 3rd party games announced for it next year :

- Persona 5 Scramble
- One Piece Warriors 4
- Trials of Mana
- Rune Factory 5
- Momotaro Dentetsu

That's bigger than the announced Nintendo 1st party games (at the exception of AC)
Also Miku Megamix. I assume the new console DQM will be on Switch as well.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Atlus gonna upload a youtube video in January saying that they have scrapped the existing SMTV and are shifting its development to Retro Studios

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

- Persona 5 Scramble
- One Piece Warriors 4
- Trials of Mana
- Rune Factory 5
- Momotaro Dentetsu

Other potential 100K plus sellers: Inazuma Eleven, Puzzles and Dragons (I'm gonna assume its not making 2019 at this point), Hatsune Miku Mega39's