• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that YsIX was down in sell-though and not so much in shipments.

Therefore it won't reflect on Falcom recent financials

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
If I understand their financial report correctly, Sony has now overtaken Konami as Falcoms biggest major customer.
Last financial year 33.9% of Falcoms revenue came from Sony.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it counts Ys IX, they made sure to ship it before September ended even if it meant fixing it later.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see . I forgot about the Sonic movie, that might one reason for the game release, good point. I'm not familiar with the Paprika song :)

It's the official theme song of the 2020 Olympics. By the time the Olympics actually start, it'll have been playing on TV for two years. I assumed there was a ton of hype among the Japanese public, but maybe it's just manufactured.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
For holidays, PS4 sales will depend heavily at the deals Sony is willing to offer. They need to be at least as aggressive as last year so that sales don't collapse. A 30-40% drop is in the cards with how low it has gone lately.

For Switch, Animal Crossing delay means there isn't an equivalent for last year's Smash. There's dynamic but any rise will be nothing comparable to last months. 10-20% increase should make Nintendo happy as they have already stated Smash was an enormous system seller in 2018 that 2019 lacks.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It's the official theme song of the 2020 Olympics. By the time the Olympics actually start, it'll have been playing on TV for two years. I assumed there was a ton of hype among the Japanese public, but maybe it's just manufactured.

I'm so sick of this song. Every elementary school sports festival in Japan had the kids perform this song. So every kids knows it. It's on TV incessantly. It's been covered by tons of artists. It plays in shopping centers. I can't wait until the Olympics are over so I can have a reprieve. It's the "Let it Go" of 2017-2020.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Falcom's latest financial report just came out.
It's a record profit for the financial year.
Regional breakdown of total sales: (thousand yen increments) JP: 1,856,004; Asia: 198,628; NA/EU: 399,495 -- Total: 2,454,128
More info here.
Fantastic news. I'm over the moon to see this. Their strategy is proving succesful. Long may they stay financially healthy.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Last year PS4 and PSVR holiday campaign was announced at 3 December and lasted from 6 December to 6 January.

edit: These were the deals
Hopefully they'll at least get close to what the US is getting this year.

PS4 Slim with God of War, Last of Us, and Horizon Zero Dawn for 200 USD. US is geting a 1 TB model in that deal, but a 500 GB model with those 3 or similar games for 20,000 yen would at least show that Sony is making some slight attempt in Japan.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
The whole Falcom discussion is really surreal. People were talking about long term affects, if they go on with their current strategy, but detractors focus on data that includes sales of last years holiday season as a counter argument against long term development that considers PlayStation recent even more pronounced decline in Japan? As pointed out by others, Ys9 problem wasn't its first shipment, which positively affected these financial results, but the implications of the actual sell through sales on upcoming releases. PS4 has become a sub 10k/week selling system recently (non holidays), with no sign of getting better any time soon. 2020 will show what people were refering to.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Fantastic news. I'm over the moon to see this. Their strategy is proving succesful. Long may they stay financially healthy.

I couldn't agree more, sir Kerotan. Numbers don't lie and Falcom are giving their peer a lesson of good business and fanbase loyalty, which I hope will inspire a generation of developers for the upcoming years.

This really fills me entirely with joy. It's good to see that a company can succeed without selling out and, at the same time, maintaining its true, indisputable, identity in a world of crybabies and armchair analysts.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so in the end fire emblem digital sales represented 50% of sales and is at 500k sales

with lm3 having a similar first week, it's safe to assume digital sales are very high also, with better legs than fire emblem I think it'll eventually be a million seller like previous game

ring fit is beasting and it looks like itll be another million seller also, itll fall slightly short of that target post holiday season but with new years resolution just right after itll definitely be a million seller sometime during 1st quarter of next year

the release of this game couldnt come at a better time as the lite just released and this game will help keep og switch sales high as a counter to the lite's potential of taking away any momentum from og switch sales, especially during this holiday season

besides first half of last year, nintendo has been on point with their software scheduling with ports releasing in dry times and heavy hitters maximising sales during holiday season, I feel ac's delay is a strategic one rather than any problems in software development as the switch's lineup during this holiday season is definitely sufficient enough without ac involved, including their evergreens, ac will serve better as a early year game, fixing their lacking during early previous year's momentum

with most of their top tier franchises out by now, it is time for their next 2d mario come holiday season next year, I expect a completely new aesthetic to the now boring and bland new mario series of games

blow me away nintendo, all over my face, my body is ready

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

We must also keep in mind that Animal Crossing: New Horizons will be the first new mainline entry in 7 years and a half. New Leaf sold 5.5m+ units in Japan and the franchise is still very popular. New Horizons didn't need holidays to sell well in the short term and Switch doesn't need Animal Crossing to sell well during holidays thanks to Pokémon, Lite and other games.

Fludd

Banned
Nov 6, 2019
so in the end fire emblem digital sales represented 50% of sales and is at 500k sales

with lm3 having a similar first week, it's safe to assume digital sales are very high also, with better legs than fire emblem I think it'll eventually be a million seller like previous game

ring fit is beasting and it looks like itll be another million seller also, itll fall slightly short of that target post holiday season but with new years resolution just right after itll definitely be a million seller sometime during 1st quarter of next year

the release of this game couldnt come at a better time as the lite just released and this game will help keep og switch sales high as a counter to the lite's potential of taking away any momentum from og switch sales, especially during this holiday season

besides first half of last year, nintendo has been on point with their software scheduling with ports releasing in dry times and heavy hitters maximising sales during holiday season, I feel ac's delay is a strategic one rather than any problems in software development as the switch's lineup during this holiday season is definitely sufficient enough without ac involved, including their evergreens, ac will serve better as a early year game, fixing their lacking during early previous year's momentum

with most of their top tier franchises out by now, it is time for their next 2d mario come holiday season next year, I expect a completely new aesthetic to the now boring and bland new mario series of games

Nintendo: *releases New Super Mario Bros. 3*
*game ends up selling 10+ million*

Oct 25, 2017
If you consider it strategic rather than a development snag, then this would mean they had something in mind for Jan-Mar that didn't manifest quickly enough before the delay.

I think it was a joke post.
hmmmmmm............ sure I'll bite.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you consider it strategic rather than a development snag, then this would mean they had something in mind for Jan-Mar that didn't manifest quickly enough before the delay.

hmmmmmm............ sure I'll bite.
no it means the complete opposite, its strategic because ac was intended for q1 all along, it just makes more sense to hype it as the big holiday title then delay it once people have set their minds on buying the game, since it's such big title, they will buy it whether its q4 or q1

besides that, if they intended for something experimental like labo for q1, it makes more sense to have something guaranteed to push systems if it doesnt sell as well as something like ring fit, they certainly dont want to repeat wat happened last year, even if sales were decent, they lost alot of momentum and potential sales imo, especially since last year was the one of the best years to push systems as the console was still fresh

imagine if ring fit released instead of labo, sales momentum would have led to a record high year instead of ending up average-ish, smash really carried the system, all the way into the next year

Last edited:

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
huh that ban was pretty short-lived, thought the punishment would have been harsher when one trolls a system by using natural disasters and lost lives as a crux

but hey I ain't no mod

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
The whole Falcom discussion is really surreal. People were talking about long term affects, if they go on with their current strategy, but detractors focus on data that includes sales of last years holiday season as a counter argument against long term development that considers PlayStation recent even more pronounced decline in Japan? As pointed out by others, Ys9 problem wasn't its first shipment, which positively affected these financial results, but the implications of the actual sell through sales on upcoming releases. PS4 has become a sub 10k/week selling system recently (non holidays), with no sign of getting better any time soon. 2020 will show what people were refering to.
It's not surreal, you are just too focused on the Japanese market and current hardware sales at the end of the generation.
Falcoms strategy is clearly to expand their back catalog by porting older games to the PS4 library. Since PS5 will be backwards compatible, the PS4/PS5 PSN library will be very important to them. Furthermore Falcom is already making most of their money by licensing. So another focus of their strategy are marketing and publishing deals for releases in the west, where PlayStation is extremely popular.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
It's not surreal, you are just too focused on the Japanese market and current hardware sales at the end of the generation.
Falcoms strategy is clearly to expand their back catalog by porting older games to the PS4 library. Since PS5 will be backwards compatible, the PS4/PS5 PSN library will be very important to them. Furthermore Falcom is already making most of their money by licensing. So another focus of their strategy are marketing and publishing deals for releases in the west, where PlayStation is extremely popular.

Falcom themselves forcast a 30% decline in operating and net profit for the current fiscal year that ends in September 2020.

Japan is by far the most important market for Falcom. It generated over 75% of their revenue in Oct2018-Sep2019 according to their most recent report.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Falcom themselves forcast a 30% decline in operating and net profit for the current fiscal year that ends in September 2020.

Japan is by far the most important market for Falcom. It generated over 75% of their revenue in Oct2018-Sep2019 according to their most recent report.
After 3 years of increasing revenue and profit (to a current all time high) that's just fluctuation. Falcom is so small, just one change in a release date or one more or less port within the fiscal year might be the cause for next year's decrease.
In the end, even next year about 50% of their revenue is pure profit. That's a redicilously high profitability.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Nintendo eShop Sales: October 31st to November 6th 2019 feat. Capcom Adult Masterpieces

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo Switch

01./01. – Luigi's Mansion 3 (Nintendo) [31.10.2019]
02./02. – Pokémon Sword (The Pokémon Company) [15.11.2019]
03./03. – Pokémon Shield (The Pokémon Company) [15.11.2019]
04./05. – Urban Trial Playground (3 g o o) [24.5.2018] (was 93% off)
05./00. – Diablo III Eternal Collection (Blizzard Entertainment) [27.12.2018] (currently 50% off)
06./New. – Groove Coaster Wai Wai Party!!!! (Taito) [07.11.2019]
07./08. – Minecraft (Mojang / Microsoft Japan) [21.6.2018]
08./16. – Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
09./15. – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) [07.12.2018]
10./10. – Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) [28.12.2017]
11./New. – Resident Evil 6 (Capcom) [31.10.2019]
12./New. – Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (SEGA) [01.11.2019]
13./13. – Undertale (8-4) [15.9.2018]
14./07. – moon (Onion Games) [10.10.2019]
15./17. – Futari de! Nyanko Dai Sensou (Ponos) [20.12.2018]
16./04. – Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous) [17.10.2019]
17./20. – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
18./New. – Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) [31.10.2019]
19./00. – Snowboarding The Next Phase (RedBullMediaHouse) [10.1.2019] (currently 90% off)
20./12. – Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation (Square-Enix) [27.9.2019]

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo 3DS

01./01. – Pokémon Crystal Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [26.1.2018]
02./02. – The Battle Cats POP! (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
03./05. – Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation (Square-Enix) [24.8.2017]
04./03. – Moero!! Pro Yakyuu 2016 (mebius) [16.11.2016] (on sale for 100 Yen)
05./07. – Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS (Microsoft Japan) [14.9.2017]
06./06. – Kisekae Ningyou Atelier Deco la Doll Collection (mebius) [10.2.2016] (on sale for 100 Yen)
07./09. – Bike Rider DX (Spicysoft) [26.12.2012]
08./08. – Ice Station Z (Wobbly Tooth) [05.4.2017]
09./10. – Dragon Quest II (Square-Enix) [28.8.2017]
10./00. – Pokémon Yellow Version Special Pikachu Edition (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
After 3 years of increasing revenue and profit (to a current all time high) that's just fluctuation. Falcom is so small, just one change in a release date or one more or less port within the fiscal year might be the cause for next year's decrease.
In the end, even next year about 50% of their revenue is pure profit. That's a redicilously high profitability.

Any attempt at moving the goalpost doesn't change the fact that Falcom expects a very notable decline in profits and that Japan still is by far the most significant market to them. A 30% decline in profits is in fact significant and not something that can be ignored, just to push a narrative.

If they miss deadlines for their yearly alternating main IPs, results will look even worse, a risk that could rise in future with the need for higher production values.

Last edited:

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Luigi's Mansion was again over Pokemon at eShop last week.

Both are expected to have large digital share at this point. Pokémon was #6 and #7 in October with just 2 days for pre-orders. Luigi's Mansion didn't top the chart as early as FE, but looks poised to stick around for a while if it can outsell Pokémon despite launch of pre-orders (though I guess if they were combined, LM3 wouldn't be #1).

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Any attempt at moving the goalpost doesn't change the fact that Falcom expects a very notable decline in profits and that Japan still is by far the most significant market to them. A 30% decline in profits is in fact significant and not something that can be ignored, just to push a narrative.

If they miss deadlines for their yearly alternating main IPs, results will look even worse, a risk that could rise in future with the need for higher production values.
OK I give up. Falcom is doomed.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
OK I give up. Falcom is doomed.

That's really silly. It's not like your arguments were based on facts to begin with, as seen with Japan actually representing over 75% of their generated revenue last year, while you tried to downplay Japan, completely demonstrated your narrative for what it is.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The Switch is also popular ... ?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Sega didn't get the license that time. As the only Olympic-related game content came out for that was an expansion pack for Ubisoft's Steep.
I see, thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. Over 137 million views on that video, thats a lot!

Fair enough that its about long term, although havnt people been talking about it for a while now? Its been 3 years since their last Vita release. I dont think it was expected that Falcom would have record earnings after this. But we'll see how things go in the next years.

Do we know anything about what Falcom has in their pipeline by the way?

On this subject, i noticed that some games had strong digital sales despite the savings not being that big. Its still maybe around a 1000 yen saving, but that relatively small compared to what the saving were for Fire Emblem and Astral Chain. Are the vouchers of unlimited supply in Japan by the way? As in, can people just buy as many vouchers as they like?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Taiwanese launch took a good amount if shipments but sometime Nintendo will have to restock Ring Fit Adventure in Japan.