• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
is there a legit business reason for not putting Person 5 on the switch? not port begging as i don't want to play it but that seems like a no brainer and gets you easy sales.
It's pretty much what Atlus has always done.

Like, you're not going to see SMT V on PS4 for instance. They like to stick to just one console for their different games, for whatever reason it may be.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Scramble being on Switch is probably because Koei Tecmo pushed for it. They're really close with Nintendo developing multiple games for Nintendo directly (Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors DE, Ultimate Alliance 3, Fire Emblem 3 Houses), games by other publishers (DQ Builder 2, One Piece Pirate warriors 3/4) and their own stuff like AOT2, Warriors Orochi 4, a ton of Warriors ports, Everything from Gust like all new Atelier games and remasters of the old ones, that Fairy Tale RPG, other stuff I'm forgetting, etc.

Oct 29, 2017
By the time US/UM was announced sales of S/M had dropped to already very low levels in Japan and west. One more year gap wouldn't make a huge difference, at best case 1m worldwide.

It's existence had leaked LONG before its official announcement; hell the initial rumblings (Pokemon Stars) actually started before Sun/Moon had even been released!

It was an open secret that everyone knew was coming. That's why Sun/Moon had such terrible legs for a mainline Pokemon game (and why it failed to outsell X/Y WW despite the far stronger start). Nintendo were pulling an Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and everyone knew it.

US/UN absolutely cannibalised S/M to get the insane results that it got.

For Pokemon mainline games there was nowhere to go but Switch.
Same for Level 5, their best bet and interest was for Switch.

Both TPC and Level 5 were going all-in on mobile and had no interest in Switch/NX until its sales blew away their expectations.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
is there a legit business reason for not putting Person 5 on the switch? not port begging as i don't want to play it but that seems like a no brainer and gets you easy sales.
They are happy with the current sales on PS4 and having their fanbase consolidated on one plattform - thats all there is to it.
More is always possible - not just through Switch, but PC, mobile or Xbox. But why change up a working system ? P5 is the by far biggest game of the franchise and Sony helped Atlus reach that level, making sure they were able to get the game on PS4 in addition to the PS3 release.

Same with SMT V - i doubt Atlus will have alot of reasons to bring the game to other systems, when its turns out to be the biggest game in the series and Nintendo provides them with the support needed to reach that goal.

Atlus is in a very comfortable position with those IPs.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
By the time US/UM was announced sales of S/M had dropped to already very low levels in Japan and west. One more year gap wouldn't make a huge difference, at best case 1m worldwide.

This is true but having an additional holiday season could have helped the game to sell closer to X/Y in Japan. I don't think it's controversial stating that a third edition released only a year after the original game stole some sales to the latter, especially considering the fact that Pokémon games tend to have legs (even if Sun/Moon had smaller legs than usual).

KIU is a good game but with limited appeal due to its nature.
There was absolutely no way it could sell 1 million units in Japan, its game structure appealed to a niche.

I think Nintendo expected a bit more from the game. It had a big promotional push.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It's existence had leaked LONG before its official announcement; hell the initial rumblings (Pokemon Stars) actually started before Sun/Moon had even been released!

It was an open secret that everyone knew was coming. That's why Sun/Moon had such terrible legs for a mainline Pokemon game (and why it failed to outsell X/Y WW despite the far stronger start). Nintendo were pulling an Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and everyone knew it.

US/UN absolutely cannibalised S/M to get the insane results that it got.

Both TPC and Level 5 were going all-in on mobile and had no interest in Switch/NX until its sales blew away their expectations.
Smartphones aren't an alternative to consoles for the kind of games like mainline pokemon.

jesusraz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thought I'd take a few quick photos whilst I was in Homeplus over in South Korea a few days ago...

switch_korea1.jpg

switch_korea2.jpg

switch_korea3.jpg

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Famitsu:

• Switch/54249台(累計 943万2695台)
  • Switch Lite/34523台(累計 45万2966台)
  • PS4 Pro/8546台(累計 131万6224台)
  • PS4/7264台(累計 716万6947台)
  • Xbox One S/34台(累計 91421台)
  • Xbox One X/30台(累計 17299台)
  • New 2DS LL(2DS含む)/1720台(累計 167万2834台)
  • New 3DS LL/54台(累計 588万4992台)
  • PS Vita/22台(累計 586万2766台)

Death Stranding: 186k
LM3: 54k
Ring Fit: 52k

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So how big is Sword and Shield looking, which game opening numbers is it looking closest to compared to other games in the franchise, X/Y? Sun and Moon?