• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch about to go Super Saiyan for the remainder of the year.

DQX seems impressive?

Won't be able to do a Vinnk's Village this week (not enough time). But of the Stores I went to:

1. Switch is still sold out. Not a single unit on shelves.
2. Mario Odyssey is no longer supply constrained in my town. If you want a copy you can get it.
3. Gran Turismo Sport has hit "bomba bins" at two stores. Selling for less than half retail price.
4. Hype for Monster Hunter World among my friends is real. But I hang out with gamers. Need more info before I make any statement about casual players.

Full report next week. I'll have time to visit the stores this weekend.

Hey Vinnk, just wanted to say thanks for giving your VV findings when you can. Even since the old forum, back in the GCN days (I think?), you've always been awesome at giving us a particular view of the Japanese market and I just wanted to say it's very appreciated!

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I guess my question was more "does Super Mario Run have anything to do with it selling well? Do we think Nintendo tried to push SMM with Mario Run? Do we think they noticed and appreciated any effect it had?" with the point being to get at the question "is this strategy really working? is Nintendo still operating with this strategy? or are things like FE and AC mobile more just judged on how they do as mobile games and less on how they impact Nintendo's console business?"

We have the case of Go in the west driving 3DS and Pokemon sales. Do we have any other cases like that? That's what I'm thinking about.

Yeah, I guess that's hard to tell. Super Mario Maker 3DS and SMO would have done well without Run, even so far that if SM Run had any effect, it might have been negligible. Nintendo themselves said that SM Run has underperformed, and the general response has been very "meh", unlike Pokemon Go, which was a massive and well-received hit.

But then there's also Animal Crossing NL, which saw a (small) boost after Pocket Camp announcement. So it might be fair to say Japan is fairly immune to the "mobile boost", but it might work more in Nintendo's favor in the West, where general awareness of the latest installments of their series or desire to buy the devices they're on isn't as high as it has been in Japan. But the games also need to be hits with good word of mouth. Super Mario Run probably wasn't the best possible advertisement for the Mario franchise.

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Nintendo don't need Sakurai to make a Smash. Sakurai had a team of more than a hundred persons to make those games and the concept is already mature. If anything, Smash will perhaps embrace its competitive side more if Sakurai is not involved in the future title and that will be for the best.
Look, getting rid of Sakurai isn't going to give you Melee 2.0. And it's better that way.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not about third versions existing, it's about USUM being a split third version while apparently doing the least of what third versions are expected to do ('core' player targetted additions, like post game shit), it's about one new Pokemon game a year, it's about completely ditching the sense of adventure the franchise had to funnel players down linear paths and subject them to a trite story that really, really, grinds on my nerves, and it's about hewing so closely to the formula that even with Sun and Moon's relatively radical shift, I could predict what would happen when, and be mostly right throughout. They need to mix things up. If they do Pokemon but in HD on Switch, they will be on a system with BotW and Skyrim- they're going to look laughably outdone in comparison.

But if the game is due out next year :(
Ultra Sun and Moon are actually pretty meaty compared to other 3rd Versions like Crystal, Emerald,Platinum

Oct 28, 2017
Differences between Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon:

They added a bunch of details to each and every route, redid the beaches, the background chatter of pokémon, the amount of stuff moving in the background.
They added about 30 sidequests.
They added two entirely new minigames, both fairly substantial and in line with what has been added in the last major expansion game, B2/W2.
There's a lengthy post game.
They added new characters/details to the main plot as well.
Almost every route has a ton of older series Pokémon to flesh them out.
They added a trial and remixed some of the others
They also added new Pokémon to the game, something that really doesn't happen mid generation at all. In fact it never happened unless you count formes or mega evolutions. These are 100% brand new Pokémon.
They expanded the number of available pokémon that you can catch in this game greatly.

All in all it's roughly in line with what was added in B2/W2, only it's not a sequel with an entirely new story, but a remix with a brand new post game. The people who downplay these changes are those unhappy that there weren't more Alolan forms, that the National Dex was missing (kind of a baffling decision really) and mainly that it wasn't on the Switch.

Having a national dex makes it take longer to get a Shiny Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.