• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
First Day Sell-through {2017.11.16}

[WIU] [NSW] [PS4] Dragon Quest X: 5000-nen no HarukanaruKokyou e Online <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥3.800) - 70% Wii U > Switch > PS4

Interesting ordering across versions. Not surprising Wii U comes first as the game was popular on that platform and sold the most with respect to other versions. Switch coming before PS4 is a bit surprising, but let's the weekly sales.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I hope this doesn't count as port-begging, but I don't understand why they completely remake the game in Unreal Engine 4 and then not use the multiplatform compatibility of the engine. PC/PS4/Switch (and in case of big anime properties, which this obviously isn't, also Xbox One) should be a no-brainer. We've heard so many stories about how easy things are to port in UE4 to other platforms with relatively few manhours. Why limit yourself to one platform then?

I'll still get Caligula Overdose if/when it comes west tho. Hopefully with a physical release this time.

As for this game's Japanese market potential, it's probably not a lot. The Vita game launched in June 2016 and sold 28.960 FW and 39.736 LTD, according to the GameDataLibrary. The Vita was much more popular back then than it is now. It was the main PS device at the time. After this holiday, the PS4's install base will have exceeded the Vita's install base, but the PS fans who wanted to play it probably already have played it, either brand-new or a used copy. Maybe the (lots of) new content will convince people to buy it again, but I don't anticipate higher numbers than on the Vita. This looks like a port that's built with western audiences in mind and to establish the series on the PS4 in order to have the audience there where they announce a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doesn't count as port-begging, but I don't understand why they completely remake the game in Unreal Engine 4 and then not use the multiplatform compatibility of the engine. PC/PS4/Switch (and in case of big anime properties, which this obviously isn't, also Xbox One) should be a no-brainer. We've heard so many stories about how easy things are to port in UE4 to other platforms with relatively few manhours. Why limit yourself to one platform then?
Probably thinking the audience for Caligula is with Sony and not Nintendo or on PC. Since it's also getting an anime, I'm not too sure they're planning for the west to begin with.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Well, FuRyu mostly publishes low-quality licenced shovelware, and Caligula is one of their own IP (along with Legend of Legacy and The Alliance Alive). It's no wonder they're pushing it: any publisher would do the same with their IP. I assume the staff prefer working on those, especially as licenced IP business is a risky one (an IP can lose relevancy over time + you need to share profits with the IP holders, which is something you don't have to worry when it's your own IP).

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Probably thinking the audience for Caligula is with Sony and not Nintendo or on PC. Since it's also getting an anime, I'm not too sure they're planning for the west to begin with.
I think remaking the game in a different engine and putting in lots of new content is a very big effort if they're only trying to appeal to the domestic market, when they know they sold <50k units on Vita when that was the main gaming device for most people who they're now targeting on PS4.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Umm guys. Don't forget Furyu is such a small company if i am not mistaken here. Maybe they just don't have the manpower there i guess?

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Umm guys. Don't forget Furyu is such a small company if i am not mistaken here. Maybe they just don't have the manpower there i guess?

FuRyu are only a publisher, I don't think they develop anything in-house (or maybe only the shovelware). Caligula was developed by Aquria, if Wikipedia is to be believed.

But it's true FuRyu is a small company, and that's why they have to release so much shovelware instead of focusing on their original IPs.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Yeah, that's not true. They had over 400 employees on April 1st of this year.
http://www.furyu.jp/company/profile.html

True, but they don't work exclusively on video games:

Planning, development, manufacturing, and sales of photo sticker machines
Planning and development of mobile services for young women
Planning, development, manufacturing, and sales of amusement prizes
Planning, development, and sales of video games and smart phone games

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure Monster Hunter World for the SNES Classic wouldnt be the best fit. As far as Japan goes, Monster Hunter have declined since it moved to Nintendo platforms. I think it would be better to bring it back to the PSP, where it sold the most. There are tons of PSPs out in people's hands already, and used ones are cheaper than a SNES Classic. Its a win-win situation :P

Come on guys, it was just a joke earlier. It was the same when WiiFit sold really well, even more than PS3, people were more joking about that WiiFit/Wii Balance Board could be a more attracitve platform.

On a more serious note, are there updates on how the SNES/SFC Classic is selling in Japan?

Last edited:

n1nt1nsu1t

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure Monster Hunter World for the SNES Classic wouldnt be the best fit. As far as Japan goes, Monster Hunter have declined since it moved to Nintendo platforms. I think it would be better to bring it back to the PSP, where it sold the most. There are tons of PSPs out in people's hands already, and used ones are cheaper than a SNES Classic. Its a win-win situation :P

On a more serious note, are there updates on how the SNES/SFC Classic is selling in Japan?

lol you're the BEST, test...account : P

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
FuRyu are only a publisher, I don't think they develop anything in-house (or maybe only the shovelware). Caligula was developed by Aquria, if Wikipedia is to be believed.
It credits Aquria as developer on Caligula's Japanese website too (under the 'Spec' page). Apparenty, Aquria has a website as well, but it looks like the site is offline. I can't access it. According to Aquria's Japanese Wikipedia page, the company had 43 employees in December 2016. That's of course considered a small company. Especially when you take into consideration that they also worked on Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization for PS4/PSV, which was released in October 2016. They made Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment and Hollow Fragment before, so it looks like the company is split in two teams.

So yeah, my bad. It's developed by a small team indeed. I still wonder for who this enhanced remake is made tho. I don't think it'll be able to attract a big audience in Japan on PS4 only. Maybe an international release would help.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It credits Aquria as developer on Caligula's Japanese website too (under the 'Spec' page). Apparenty, Aquria has a website as well, but it looks like the site is offline. I can't access it. According to Aquria's Japanese Wikipedia page, the company had 43 employees in December 2016. That's of course considered a small company. Especially when you take into consideration that they also worked on Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization for PS4/PSV, which was released in October 2016. They made Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment and Hollow Fragment before, so it looks like the company is split in two teams.

So yeah, my bad. It's developed by a small team indeed. I still wonder for who this enhanced remake is made tho. I don't think it'll be able to attract a big audience in Japan on PS4 only. Maybe an international release would help.
Western PS4 market could be good for them. Fill that gap P5 left.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If it is not late, and released WW when the anime airs, a locaIized version of this game can fill the gap for the newly created Persona crowd on PS4 in the West.

They just need to

1) make it a good game now

2) market the hell out of the fact that this is made by Tadashi Satomi, aka father of Persona.

The market is wide open because Atlus releases games slowly, and there is no other JRPG like Persona on the platform. They can get the audience without direct competition or cannibalizing the market.

PS4 platform choice almost certainly means it is aimed at the west as well. I don't believe Furyu is dumb enough to go JP only.

BTW, the multimedia strategy (anime +game) is in their presentation materials for this FY. They also talked about overseas expansion.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it is not late, and released WW when the anime airs, a locaIized version of this game can fill the gap for the nrwly created Persona crowd on PS4 in the West.

They just need to

1) make it a good game now

2) market the hell out of the fact that this is made by Tadashi Satomi, aka father of Persona

The market is wide open because Atlus releases games slowly, and there is no other JRPG like Persona on the platform. They can get the audience without direct competition for cannibalizing the market.

PS4 platform choice almost certainly means it is aimed at the west as well. I don't believe Furyu is dumb enough to go JP only.

BTW, the multimedia strategy (anime +game) is in their presentation materials for this FY. They also talked about overseas expansion.
I question how much this would even work. Especially when Persona became a thing after his involvement.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
What are we expecting for Cold Steel Kai?
Looks like the best the PS3 TiTS ports did was like 30k and the evolution games 50k

Looks like cheaper to make than Evo at least since they're not adding much and this should get a Western release unlike all those others

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter. Older Persona fans will remember EP and jizz themselves.

Newer fans will only see "Persona".
Well it didn't help the first release (neither did being bad, of course). I just question how well these tactics work. The only time I recall it working is Destiny, but that had equal amounts of marketing (if not more) as Halo. Don't think whomever will push this game as hard as Persona

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Doesn't matter. Older Persona fans will remember EP and jizz themselves.

Newer fans will only see "Persona".
I agree. The localisation partner is Atlus tho. They're basically feeding someone else's cow with their own hay if they market Caligula Overdose that way. On the other hand, they want the game to sell well too. Why did that guy leave in the first place btw? I think this is fuel for some weird business political problem.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Well pre orders are higher than previous Xeno games at least and digital ratio on switch is much higher than wii and Wii u (we gave actual % data from Nintendo), especially with the new pre order thing for a Nintendo console (it is n7 on the jp eshop)

Mind, I am just talking about a possible fw around 100k, aka higher then previous Xeno games fw
It's not... or you have to show me where. For now it seems much lower.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Sonic was never actually that popular in Japan as he was/is in the west.

Forces not being a very good game in general certainly isn't helping either.

Sonic Forces is a good game, but its Sonic and made by Sonic Team, so its gets hate by default (don't mean off you btw) Also while its true to say Sonic never been big in Japan, Sonic Adv did sell very well in Japan on the DC back in the day

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
..........Furyu game rarely fill any gap games lol. Their game simply lack that quality.(Hope Alliance Alive will be good enough when it is released here lol.)
There's almost nothing else similar to P5 in the western Playstation lineup. P5 is a game that had many new fans and good western sales, so it created a gap -- there's people who now like P5-styled games, but there's nothing for them.

This isn't just one crazy idea I had. Furyu themselves said they wanted to expand overseas and the choice of PS4 and Caligula/Satomi Tadashi is clearly an indication of them trying to get sales frrom the Persona 5 userbase on PS4.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
I agree. The localisation partner is Atlus tho. They're basically feeding someone else's cow with their own hay if they market Caligula Overdose that way. On the other hand, they want the game to sell well too. Why did that guy leave in the first place btw? I think this is fuel for some weird business political problem.

I honestly doubt Atlus would care. It's not like Caligula, even if it was to suddenly become popular, would ever get anywhere near Persona is standing. And that's assuming it becomes popular in the first place.

Looks like the XC2 TV ads are already airing:

And ad in Shibuya station, replacing Mario:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

This is superb. Like actually I'm dying at work laughing. Well done.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is an attempt at humour huh?

An attempt indeed...

really?you seemed hurt

Strange how you two didn't get Psycho_Mantis joke but had no problem with what Principate said...

To prepare an audience on PS4 for a completely new entry (assuming they want a franchise which it seems they do)? Not sure it's the best sales tactic/how "well" the UE4 version will even do but that seems likely to be the reason.

Yep. As i said, it really seems that they want to push the franchise and the PS4 ''remake'' + anime is the best way to do it.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'm a bit skeptical about the title. The 2 of Xenoblade 2 might scare people that haven't bought the previous games---even if they are not related. Xenoblade was a niche title to begin with.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Strange how you two didn't get Psycho_Mantis joke but had no problem with what Principate said...

I'll refer you to you- I mean the clearly different user -Psycho_Mantis' comment:

"Some jokes aren't for everyone. Its OK"

I know that you two are different users... I think lol. It's just a joke! :)

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit skeptical about the title. The 2 of Xenoblade 2 might scare people that haven't bought the previous games---even if they are not related. Xenoblade was a niche title to begin with.

2 is a lot more welcoming than jumping straight to the roman numeral for 10. I still wonder if people were concerned about playing Super Mario 64 having not played the previous 63 entries..

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
The user base is not as big and there's still no sign of good preorders (I think.
I really think the first week might not be so great but it will catch on with other games as hardware gets in the hands of people.
It's supply constrained there I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Xenoblade fan didn't have a Switch yet.

Wii U was at 2.31 million units on Media Create during Xenoblade Chronicle X's launch week. Switch will easily surpass that number for Xenoblade Chronicles 2's debut. One other thing to keep in mind: Switch is a much more attractive platform for a JRPG than Wii U (and a more vibrant platform in general).

At this point, I don't think there's much doubt that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will surpass the first two games from a sales perspective (both in first week and LTD sales). It's more a question of how much higher it can go.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
2 is a lot more welcoming than jumping straight to the roman numeral for 10. I still wonder if people were concerned about playing Super Mario 64 having not played the previous 63 entries..

Numbering doesn't make sense for such a niche franchise in my opinion. The main aim of Xenoblade 2 should be to attract people that haven't played the previous entries rather than courting the existing, extremely small, fanbase. By calling the game Xenoblade 2 Nintendo might scare away people that think it's a direct sequel (as 2 is typically used for an actual sequel). Xenoblade X was a smarter name back then.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's almost nothing else similar to P5 in the western Playstation lineup. P5 is a game that had many new fans and good western sales, so it created a gap -- there's people who now like P5-styled games, but there's nothing for them.

This isn't just one crazy idea I had. Furyu themselves said they wanted to expand overseas and the choice of PS4 and Caligula/Satomi Tadashi is clearly an indication of them trying to get sales frrom the Persona 5 userbase on PS4.

In paper it sounds great of course. No game like Persona is going to come out soon. So Caligula is certainly going to do well.......where have i heard of this tactic lol.

Mind zero and Conception 2!!!!!

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In paper it sounds great of course. No game like Persona is going to come out soon. So Caligula is certainly going to do well.......where have i heard of this tactic lol.

Mind zero and Conception 2!!!!!
I mean, that's their plan -- not saying it will be a success for sure. Mind Zero and Conception 2 were on the PS Vita, a dead system in the West. Just being on PS4 already makes things better for Caligula.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, that's their plan -- not saying it will be a success for sure. Mind Zero and Conception 2 were on the PS Vita, a dead system in the West. Just being on PS4 already makes things better for Caligula.

Furyu should be concerned with quality of their output rather than trying to fill whatever gap.
Legend of Legacy was such a pity. The game has promise but simply fails to deliver on so many levels.
I can't help but think the budget for their game is simply too small and thats why the developer has to cut a lot of contents and narrow their scope.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
One other thing to keep in mind: Switch is a much more attractive platform for a JRPG than Wii U (and a more vibrant platform in general).

Not that I necessary disagree, but was there a single JRPG released on Switch so far?
That is unless we use the very vague definition of the term where in that case we could include Zelda BotW, DQII&II and Monster Hunter XX.

So retail snipperclip bombed

We just had a post one topic ago mentioning what is and isn't a bomb, nothing indicates if Snipperclip fits the bill yet or not.
The first download card also started at 3k and went on selling >30k, it's a low price title so it will definitely sell in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.