• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Nice to see USUM performing better than expected (YSO expected 950k on average) and this shows that it was able to attract a younger audience too. After all the doom and gloom, it was the best opening for a third version by a wide margin, without considering B2W2. Of course legs will be shorter than usual but 2m shouldn't be that farfetched now.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Its definitely more popular than X/Y. its constantly getting higher ratings and its on the top 10 most viewed anime weekly.
Sorry if this is getting a little off-topic, but out of curiosity, do you have any idea why it would be more popular than X/Y? I know the games weren't especially more popular.

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to see USUM performing better than expected (YSO expected 950k on average) and this shows that it was able to attract a younger audience too. After all the doom and gloom, it was the best opening for a third version by a wide margin, without considering B2W2. Of course legs will be shorter than usual but 2m shouldn't be that Farfetch'd now.

Fixed.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Your Four Horsemen Princess Training story

036.jpg
037.jpg
038.jpg

Screens and artworks here:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/398/G039876/20171114043/

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is getting a little off-topic, but out of curiosity, do you have any idea why it would be more popular than X/Y? I know the games weren't especially more popular.
School setting, lighter tone in storytelling, more characters, animation more "goofy" and kid friendly. XY was more of a shounen story with a more serious tone, SM anime hits a bigger audience.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The Sun Moon anime changed things up a lot. The animation, art style and writing(the series has a lot more comedy now) are all different now. The series takes place in a school setting and the talking Rotom Dex has a big role. I'm guessing these changes were made in response to the success the YW anime was seeing up until recently, but I obviously wouldn't know.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, USUM did pretty well all things considered. I was expecting closer to 1m, not 1.2m. It seems now that 2m LTD is much more likely, which would be a good result for a third version of a Pokemon game at this stage of the 3DS' life.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That I agree. Nier Automata had low score at launch too, but in the end it climbed to a respectable 4.2. I will follow US/UM's score in the following weeks.

Despite console wars, plenty of games open with high scores. Why single out UM/US as a victim while other games' score are not affected? MHXX, a 3DS game came out this year that nobody asked for in the franchise that is objectively the biggest victim of console war, sits on a 3.1. After all, the trolls only get their way when there aren't enough people to rate it high to mitigate it. Also, the most detailed long reviews seem to all be in the 1-2 range, not sure if those long essays are written for trolling.

Because some of those review come out before the game is even released. Review Bombing in amazon jp is not a new thing. It had happen forever there. It is after the game released that usually the score will move to perform better as more people who actually played the game give their review properly.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Woke up to a 1.2m number of USUM. Wow! That's higher than expected!
I think I predicted something like 1.1m FW for it, but thought that would be high-end.
I'm waiting for the MC number of course, but this is a great sign already.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well I'd love to be proven wrong since I don't have the game myself. I got the impression from what I read online, especially Japanese amazon review (yes, I value those reviews more than metacritic). https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pokemon

I cannot say about the quality of the game, but you are very misguided to believe reviews on Amazon Japan.

Hit articles has been written on poor initial reviews, that place had been a cesspool of console warring for a long tkme

http://jin115.com/archives/52155782.html#comments

Notice how the average score is 3 for Sun/Moon in this screen shot?

Pokemon Sun has a score of 3.8 (which translate to pretty good in my book) while ultra sun is at 2.4. You think the drop of score is due to console war?

Yes. Because the score went up in time for Sun and Moon. This is evidence of concentrated trolling by parties with an agenda, which is corrected by its true general consensus later.

You do know that console warriors in Japan will lie and misdirect if it even prevents one sale right?

That I agree. Nier Automata had low score at launch too, but in the end it climbed to a respectable 4.2. I will follow US/UM's score in the following weeks.

Despite console wars, plenty of games open with high scores. Why single out UM/US as a victim while other games' score are not affected? MHXX, a 3DS game came out this year that nobody asked for in the franchise that is objectively the biggest victim of console war, sits on a 3.1. After all, the trolls only get their way when there aren't enough people to rate it high to mitigate it. Also, the most detailed long reviews seem to all be in the 1-2 range, not sure if those long essays are written for trolling.

Yes. It happens. Trolls in 2ch generally collate talking points about a game's negative points and make long, legitimate looking long posts about it.

It is very much like how in ERA/GAF where you have console warriors crapping on games they never played and use negative points raised by legit reviewers to trash a game.

This tends to happen to the most high profile games on a system, which includes Pokemon and MH when it was still on Nintendo systems. Most lower profile games don't get targeted (TMS:FE etc).

It happened to Pokemon, it also happened to MHXX

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20010863.html

Notice that 2.X score? It also raised over time.

In fact Yoko Taro complaints at Japanese reviews is largely due to console warriors using Amazon reviews as a proxy war.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It's a matter of time before Battlefront II joins bomba bins, retailers didn't expect so big drop, Explorer's Edition will give Breath of the Wild a bump this week even if Switch shipments remain steady.
Amazon is already more than 30% off, it collapses faster than Gran Turismo. First week sales and sell-through will show how bad the situation is.
Pokemon did better than I expected in Japan and the UK. Not spectacular but not as bad as it was looking.
Comparing to S/M, US/UM dropped 37% in Japan and 74% in UK. What were you expecting for UK, complete bomb?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see USUM performing better than expected (YSO expected 950k on average) and this shows that it was able to attract a younger audience too. After all the doom and gloom, it was the best opening for a third version by a wide margin, without considering B2W2. Of course legs will be shorter than usual but 2m shouldn't be that farfetched now.
Hasnt that always been the case regarding younger audience?

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Getting GEN 8 two years after GEN 7 simply won't happen, especially when you consider the multimedia stuff. There has to be at least two movies for Sun & Moon the anime before they move on to new stuff.
The multimedia stuff is one of the strongest arguments there is for the next game coming next year. There will only be one more movie (probably with Zeraora, Necrozma and maybe a Gen VIII Pokémon), with everything else being dealt with in the show proper, and they're actively rushing through the story- the entire plot of Sun and Moon, from beginning to end, is being dealt with in about a dozen anime episodes. They're palpably trying to get through everything as fast as they can.

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I wouldn't rely on beating Yokai Watch as evidence that the Pokémon anime is doing well. As a matter of fact, it continues the downward trend that began in Black and White and continues until this day. Contrary to what some think, the ratings aren't all that great.

Yokai Watch's decline was done by itself, Pokémon had nothing to do with it.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Small hardware bump despite US/UM 1m+ opening with 2 new limited editions confirm 3DS sales will remain slow until the end of the year. Topping 100k inside holidays won't be easy (Christmas week will be the big one).

Why would we not care about one of the top sellers of year?
pffft. Top from the bottom?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Who would have thought Battlefront 2 would have turned into such a massive garbage fire as it did and that 1.2 debut is a great result all things considered.

All this surprisingly good news.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

Maybe not here or among some adults, however I don't believe we have statistics showing that it's not more popular among children, which are the ones watching the show.

Last edited:

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't rely on beating Yokai Watch as evidence that the Pokémon anime is doing well. As a matter of fact, it continues the downward trend that began in Black and White and continues until this day. Contrary to what some think, the ratings aren't all that great.

Its doing better compared to X/Y. Sun and Moon anime reversed the trend. There has been times during X/Y anime when it does not appear in the top 10 most viewed for few weeks.

If you follow Pokeshopper he will tell you how merch sales increased since Sun and Moon started.

The multimedia stuff is one of the strongest arguments there is for the next game coming next year. There will only be one more movie (probably with Zeraora, Necrozma and maybe a Gen VIII Pokémon), with everything else being dealt with in the show proper, and they're actively rushing through the story- the entire plot of Sun and Moon, from beginning to end, is being dealt with in about a dozen anime episodes. They're palpably trying to get through everything as fast as they can.

I dont follow the anime currently, but maybe they are doing something like XYZ, an original arc that did not get covered in Gen 6 games.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont follow the anime currently, but maybe they are doing something like XYZ, an original arc that did not get covered in Gen 6 games.
They didn't rush the X and Y anime in the same way that they're rushing Sun and Moon, though. The Zygarde stuff just ran concurrently with the end of the gym quest/the league, and only really added a month or two on the end. Sun and Moon, by contrast, have absolutely rocketed through the game material- the Akala island stuff, complete with all three trials and the fight against Olivia, was dealt with in half a dozen episodes, as well as the Nebby/Aether Foundation stuff only lasting a dozen. It has been almost exactly a year since the Sun and Moon anime started, and by the end of the announced episodes they've have already covered 5 out of the 7 trials, half the Kahunas, the entirety of the main legendary plot from the games, and the growth that characters such as Lillie and Gladion have gone through. Even if they do add a Rainbow Rocket arc or something similar, there's no way that this will last more than a year at this pace.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

The ratings aren't great, no, but they are stable and have been stable at this level for years now. Let's not exaggerate things.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Jibanyan will ensure the game's success.

Let's not forget that Yokai Watch Busters outsold all Pokemon spinoffs to date.
It has to be seen the staying power of Yokai Watch.
YW2 is among the best selling non-Nintendo games ever in Japan (especially if we consider the third version) but YW3 sold much less.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest X Version 3 opening FW (May 2015 - Famitsu)

02./00. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.30} (¥4.104) - 97.324 / NEW <80-100%>

04./00. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.30} (¥4.104) - 84.185 / NEW <80-100%>

Didn't count PC and download version.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DQX version 2 fw.

02./00. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.05} (¥3.990) - 117.432 / NEW

06./00. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.05} (¥3.990) - 70.648 / NEW

Always 200k huh? lol

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tweaking them to look like the Pokken models would be ideal IMO.

Mewtwo and Charizard for one are EONS better designed in Pokken.
That's largely due to texture work. And the texturing is pretty basic in Pokemon. There's no depth to the character models. All those polygons and a the texture maps don't match. There are normal maps but they just control how to handle the hard-shadowing. Pokken does much more to the Pokemon to give them a tactile feel. Something I hope GF puts effort into, even if it means redoing 802 Pokemon

Am I wrong in thinking that they already have HD assets for the Pokemon models? Or am I misremembering?
There's much more to making the HD games than just high resolution assets of the Pokemon. Lest we want what is essentially Gen 7 in HD. I'm not asking for open world, but GF is gonna have to step up their level design now that they're on a hope console. SM's level design ain't gonna cut it on the big screen

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
Amazon is already more than 30% off, it collapses faster than Gran Turismo. First week sales and sell-through will show how bad the situation is.

Comparing to S/M, US/UM dropped 37% in Japan and 74% in UK. What were you expecting for UK, complete bomb?

S/M was the biggest Nintendo UK launch ever, so a huge %drop was expected. But units wise it was a better debut than B&W2 (even without digital) so despite the 74% drop, US/UM numbers are far from a disappointment in the UK (we'll see the legs it has).

Preorders and hype must be really bad if Level 5 is afraid even PS4.

Yep, that delay smells like very low preorders. I'm starting to think that Busters 2 won't reach Sukiyaki numbers :|

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
In all honesty I prefer the flat look. Pokken's texture work is a bit too uncanny for me. Hope they go with a strong cell shading.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
What about the models in Go? I wonder if they are the same but simply scaled for the appropriate device. I don't know much about 3D modeling, but I imagine that they make their reference models at a much higher quality than needed.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about the models in Go? I wonder if they are the same but simply scaled for the appropriate device. I don't know much about 3D modeling, but I imagine that they make their reference models at a much higher quality than needed.

They're the same. Game Freak made HD models back in 2013 for the release of X/Y and used them in XY, ORAS, SuMo, USUM and GO. They'll likely be used again for the Switch game.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO's Ranking pre-orders, 2017 (Nov 13 - Nov 19)

Geo_Corporation_Japan.gif

~ 1200 stores

About ranking:
- NEW is the title that was not ranked in within last ranking.
- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking
- The ranking of the title is ranking by the total number including other models and bonus version.
- Hard order of multi titles is in order of hard release date.

01/01 [PS4] Yakuza Kiwami 2 - December 07
02/02 [3DS] Yokai Busters 2 Hihou Densetsu Banbaraja Sword - December 07
02/02 [3DS] Yokai Busters 2 Hihou Densetsu Banbaraja Magnum - December 07
03/03 [NSW] Xenoblade 2 - December 01
04/04 [PS4] Earth Defense Force 5 - December 07
05/05 [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - January 26
06/08 [3DS] Kirby Battle Deluxe! - November 30
07/09 [NSW] Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi - November 30
07/09 [PS4] Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi - November 30
08/10 [3DS] Attack On Titan 2 - November 30
09/11 [PS4] Kamen Rider Climax Fighters - December 07
10/12 [PS4] Dead Rising 4 Special Edition - December 07
11/13 [PS4] Digimon Story Cyber Saurus Hackers Memory - December 14
11/13 [PSV] Digimon Story Cyber Saurus Hackers Memory - December 14
12/15 [3DS] Harvest Moon Futago no Mura + - December 14
13/14 [PS4] RESIDENT EVIL 7 GOLD EDITION - December 14
14/16 [NSW] Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings - December 21
14/16 [PS4] Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings - December 21
14/16 [PSV] Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings - December 21
15/17 [PS4] Idol Master Stella stage - December 21
16/18 [3DS] Mario Party 100 Mini Game Collection - December 28
17/19 [PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - February 08
18/20 [PS4] Fist of the North Star - February 22
19/NEW [NSW] STEINS; GATE ELITE - March 15
19/NEW [PS4 STEINS; GATE ELITE -March 15
19/NEW [PSV] STEINS; GATE ELITE - March 15

20/21 [PS4] Dissidia FINAL FANTASY NT - January 11
21/22 [PS4] Gintama Rumble - January 18
21/22 [PSV] Gintama Rumble - January 18
22/23 [NSW] Mario + Rabbits Kingdom Battle - January 18
23/24 [PS4] Ninokuni 2 Revenant Kingdom - January 19
24/NEW [PS4] The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia - January 25
25/25 [PS4] Dragon Ball FighterZ - February 01
26/26 [PS4] Shin Sangoku Musou 8 - February 08
27/27 [PS4] Seiken Densetsu 2 Secret of Mana - February 15
27/27 [PSV] Seiken Densetsu 2 Secret of Mana - February 15
28/28 [PS4] METAL GEAR SURVIVE - February 21
29/29 [PS4] Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal - February 22
30/30 [PS4] Far Cry 5 - March 01
31/31 [PS4] The Crew 2 - March 16
32/NEW [PS4] Utawarerumono: A Lullaby For Those Who Are Scattered - April 26
32/NEW [PSV] Utawarerumono: A Lullaby For Those Who Are Scattered - April 26

33/36 [3DS] Dragon Ball Extreme Fusion Pack - November 30
34/37 [PS4] The Surge - November 30
35/38 [3DS] Crayon Shin-chan Gekiatsu! Oden wa ~ Rudo Dai Konran!! - November 30
36/39 [NSW] Biohazard Revelations Unveiled Edition - November 30
37/40 [NSW] Biohazard Revelations Collection - November 30
38/NEW [PS4] Little Witch Academia: The Witch of Time and the Seven Wonders - November 30
39/NEW [3DS] Suichara 〜Sweets chara mode〜 Sweets Gakkou e Youkoso! - November 30
40/NEW [PSV] Usotsuki Shangri-La - November 30

NEW GAMES
19/NEW [NSW] STEINS; GATE ELITE - March 15
19/NEW [PS4 STEINS; GATE ELITE -March 15
19/NEW [PSV] STEINS; GATE ELITE - March 15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFkaFnRYVKQ

24/NEW [PS4] The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia - January 25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoIZcFuOwvI
32/NEW [PS4] Utawarerumono: A Lullaby For Those Who Are Scattered - April 26
32/NEW [PSV] Utawarerumono: A Lullaby For Those Who Are Scattered - April 26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5cIaiWGiL0

38/NEW [PS4] Little Witch Academia: The Witch of Time and the Seven Wonders - November 30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSD3eNqO6w

39/NEW [3DS] Suichara 〜Sweets chara mode〜 Sweets Gakkou e Youkoso! - November 30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k71FXmL96jc

40/NEW [PSV] Usotsuki Shangri-La - November 30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzgCdv3yy8

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.