• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, since hardware sales are limited by low shipments, the real bad news for Sony right now are the very low software sales. Even by assuming digital sales will be higher than past launches (and I'm sure they are, between the Digital Edition and the possibility of pre-purchasing digital versions before launch), 37,000 for their major games combined is just bad. Just how low will the software-to-hardware ratio be, then.

EDIT: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls combined software-to-hardware ratio is 31,54%

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation consoles debut in Japan (Famitsu):
PS2: 631K
PSP: 166K
PS3: 88K
PSV: 325K
PS4: 322K
PS5: 118K

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I'm guessing some not insignificant numbers of the PS5 sales probably went to scalpers or resellers which somewhat contributes to lower software attach rates.

Hopefully sony will restock more to the Japanese market, but with the PS5 selling out everywhere I'm not sure.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Time to hop over to Gematsu and start concerntrolling like the peeps over there did when the Switch was having shortages at launch.
"There are no shortages, Japanese people just prefer the PS4 over the Switch"
/s just in case

Good debut considering the circumstances but the good news are that Media Markt shipped my PS5 pre-order eventhough they said it would arrive in a few weeks. 😮

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox consoles debut in Japan (Famitsu):
XB: 124K
XB360: 62K
XBO: 24K
XBS: 21K

EDIT:
tagged mazi

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Stock definitely affected FW sales but I wouldn't have expected much better sales with higher supply. Software is not there and Japanese gamers already showed some skepticism towards the PlayStation business model (which is working greatly outside Japan). Near future will be pretty telling I guess.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Playstation has shipment problems but I doubt demand is this strong that they needed to ship - say - 300k to satisfy it and decided against that. they had to estimate, and the system is noticeably more expensive this time so they did play it safe. better than having stock unsold everywhere especially in Japan, they love products rarity in a strange way... sometimes Nintendo store in Japan created lines outside and controlled entrance even though the store inside was more than half empty.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems not much of a drop-off for Series X/S. Still has a chance to do better than XBO, not that it's a high bar to overcome.

Sony just really shipped that low damn.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playstation has shipment problems but I doubt demand is this strong that they needed to ship - say - 300k to satisfy it and decided against that. they had to estimate, and the system is noticeably more expensive this time so they did play it safe. better than having stock unsold everywhere especially in Japan, they love products rarity in a strange way... sometimes Nintendo store in Japan created lines outside and controlled entrance even though the store inside was more than half empty.

As per analyst demand is huge and analyst himself predicts lesser ps5 sold to PS4 ltd

It would had sold 300k + with stocks

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
As per analyst demand is huge and analyst himself predicts lesser ps5 sold to PS4 ltd

It would had sold 300k + with stocks

If demand is really strong enough to carry 300-350k launch, then maybe they favored other markets because of much higher sales for their first party software which offsets losses from hardware sales, which is not the case in Japan.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
That explains Miles and that would have arguably been fine, but Demon Souls doesn't have that luxury.

I mean the overall the fact that PS5 can play PS4 games might make some buy less PS5 games at launch and instead buy PS4 games or play their existing library. I guess when we get the full charts we have better idea if we see some PS4 games getting boost in sales this past week. it just makes no sense to me that people would buy console without a single game to play (as those Demon and Spider-Man sales would indicate).

gamstat

Mar 17, 2019
And i saw number of players for street fighter 5 that was 12,4 M. Capcom official sale number for street 5 is 5 M.
So, don't know what to think for gamstat.
Think that you can just open https://gamstat.com/games/Street_Fighter_V/ and check how many players it had before it was put on PS Now (July 2020) and PS Plus (September 2020). And even those players haven't necessarily bought the game from the store.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on point for the ps5 hardware total at 120k (probably not the split though) but I predicted way too high for software. I think we're all busted on the software front for prediction league.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the overall the fact that PS5 can play PS4 games might make some buy less PS5 games at launch and instead buy PS4 games or play their existing library. I guess when we get the full charts we have better idea if we see some PS4 games getting boost in sales this past week. it just makes no sense to me that people would buy console without a single game to play (as those Demon and Spider-Man sales would indicate).

Not just that - PS+ Collection also gives you access to a bunch of japanese classics ala RE7, FFXV, MHW which are playing much better on PS5 now.

Dont think its an excuse but an explanation, hardcore fans with likely big backlogs/library are the ones showing up Day 1 - they are obv. playing something on it.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What will be interesting is to see if any PS4 games get a boost. PS5 exclusive software sales are low, which might be due to people getting the system for top fidelity/performance on their PS4 games (this is the dedicated audience present at launch). Then again, they might already own the software they are currently planning on playing on the PS5 via BC, so the bump might not be noticeable.
When do we get the full charts for this week? Tomorrow morning as usual?
Yes.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
Does the Famitsu report say whether Miles is the PS5-only sku, or comes both PS4 and PS5. Since the PS4 ver is upgradable for free, people MIGHT have bought that one too instead of just the PS5 version. (and of course 18k is really dissapointing for Spiderman overall if it is BOTH and not just the PS5 sku)

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
What will be interesting is to see if any PS4 games get a boost. PS5 exclusive software sales are low, which might be due to people getting the system for top fidelity/performance on their PS4 games (this is the dedicated audience present at launch). Then again, they might already own the software they are currently planning on playing on the PS5 via BC, so the bump might not be noticeable.

Yes.

I dare say that the VAST majority of PS5 owners already owned a PS4 so I'm not expecting much of a bump tbh.

I do think it's possible that the digital split will be quite a bit higher than usual.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it had 10 super mega hits like BOTW was for the Switch, it wouldn't have sold a single unit more. Can't sell what you don't ship to retailers. It would've easily sold +200k or even 300k with enough supply.
I mean, BOTW was famous for selling more than the console itself for a while. It would have def been more haha

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Feel like tales had/has a period where it was/is managed weirdly, they found huge success with tales of symphonia on GameCube, then they promptly ignored it and made the next one PS2 exclusive.
than they did a weird flip flop between the 2 like they went back to Wii for ToS2 and then ToG got released for wii but had a horrible bug that iirc they refused to fix but instead remastered it for PS3 and then said the audience is on PS consoles, then after a while they put that game they skipped the skipped gamecube for and only put on PS2 on the 3DS and apparently that actually did pretty well cause they ran out of copies. But than they went back to just PS consoles.

And this is without including the remastered tales of vesperia that apparently sold the best on switch but arise is gonna be on everything BUT switch
I was also baffled by these decisions. Namco had a hit on its hands but was all over the place with trying to target an audience after that.

It's as if the company met or possibly surpassed expectations with TOS, but somebody, possibly a non-answer-back-able senior, questioned whether they would have sold more units if it were on the best-selling platform. So they tried it and did fine sales-wise. But then their audience was split, and bizarre decisions followed as they pandered, with limited resources and exclusives (as was almost always the case for Japanese titles back then), to a divided audience.

Tales was one of the more interesting games to follow in terms of sales simply for Namco's seemingly random decisions with it.
Yeah, almost certainly someone higher up said if it did good here it will do better on the better selling console, despite that not always being the case, but if i remember correctly there was a PS2 version of ToS, atleast in japan, i wonder how much that did

The western markets were a non factor for the IP until the 2010's (plenty of games where never released outside Japan), once you understand that and realize that Tales games have always sold better on Sony platforms since the beginning you will be able to make peace with their decision until then.

And to add a few details

- Tales of Graces on Wii was a massive failure sales wise, the biggest the Tales series has ever known, there's no spinning it otherwise, that the game went on to be released with critical bugs is another matter that had no impact whatsoever on its initial sales.
- Namco never "refused" to fix it, it was impossible to patch the game through the Nintendo WiFi connection thanks to the horrible internet infrastructure Nintendo had at the time, instead they had to recall every single copy of the game and send a new disc to every single user, turning what was already a huge commercial failure into a complete disaster financially

- Both Tales of Symphonia PS2 and Tales of Graces PS3 sold notably better than their original SKU on Nintendo platforms despite mostly being ports, the numbers are easy to check, we're linking to gamedatalibrary on a weekly basis, coming from regular users I think it should be the minimum to at least check that before stating anything about historical numbers

- The Tales of the Abyss "ran out of copies" argument has been ran to the ground, I had to debunk it I don't know how many times and it's kind of funny because the original source came from... me, Tales of the Abyss 3DS indeed ran out of copies... in Europe, because they printed an ultra low amount as the game wasn't even translated in anything other than english.
The game didn't meet expectations in Japan (they were hoping for 250k, whether that was a realistic goal or not is another topic), it sold fine in America and did okayish in Europe considering they expected basically nothing, that's it

- Tales of Symphonia GC was a big dissapointment sales wise in Japan, <350k while your other title on PS2 (Destiny 2) one year earlier was selling more than double that is not enough. That Nintendo picked up the game localization for western markets and found some success was great, but Namco didn't get much benefit from it and western markets were an afterthought (kind reminder than in EMEA markets namco basically didn't exist back then, they only gained presence when they bought part of Atari in 2008)

- The audience split is a real thing... geographically, Tales have always sold better on Sony platforms in Japan and have, overall, sold better on Nintendo platforms in western markets, I imagine there's an easy enough solution to sort that out and maybe they will figure what at some point ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
- The audience split is a real thing... geographically, Tales have always sold better on Sony platforms in Japan and have, overall, sold better on Nintendo platforms in western markets, I imagine there's an easy enough solution to sort that out and maybe they will figure what at some point ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After I read Harada's name in Chris's post I gave up. I also remember him saying that research led him to believe that there is no market for Xenosaga remasters... well, Xeno as a series is a 1-2m seller now, but of course he won't change his mind for obvious reasons lol.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
In the other thread there is a new goal, ps5 has to outsell PS4 launch sales of 325k..... within 3months lol

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I mean Xenosaga (and Gears too for that matter) are just in a weird spot to remake. Like if Square or Namco wanted to greenlight a remake of them, it would either have to be Nintendo-exclusive, or they would have to go without the original creators, which makes the opportunity cost associated with said remakes hard to justify. There's also the question of it it will sell, as while Xenoblade is doing quite well for itself, They're not a part of the Xenoblade brand (only the more broad Xeno brand) and may not be recognized as being by the Xenoblade team by consumers. There's also the fact that, while they all share thematic elements, their gameplay systems are quite a bit different from one-another, which may contribute to this recognition problem.

I'd love for them to be remade, but I also recognize the challenges of remaking them.

Avoid cross-thread drama, thanks.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
In the other thread there is a new goal, ps5 has to outsell PS4 launch sales of 325k..... within 3months lol
Can we stop the cross-thread drama please, antagonising each other doesn't help the community. If posts break TOS report them, otherwise address them in the thread they are posted in if you wish to actually respond.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The western markets were a non factor for the IP until the 2010's (plenty of games where never released outside Japan), once you understand that and realize that Tales games have always sold better on Sony platforms since the beginning you will be able to make peace with their decision until then.

And to add a few details

- Tales of Graces on Wii was a massive failure sales wise, the biggest the Tales series has ever known, there's no spinning it otherwise, that the game went on to be released with critical bugs is another matter that had no impact whatsoever on its initial sales.
- Namco never "refused" to fix it, it was impossible to patch the game through the Nintendo WiFi connection thanks to the horrible internet infrastructure Nintendo had at the time, instead they had to recall every single copy of the game and send a new disc to every single user, turning what was already a huge commercial failure into a complete disaster financially

- Both Tales of Symphonia PS2 and Tales of Graces PS3 sold notably better than their original SKU on Nintendo platforms despite mostly being ports, the numbers are easy to check, we're linking to gamedatalibrary on a weekly basis, coming from regular users I think it should be the minimum to at least check that before stating anything about historical numbers

- The Tales of the Abyss "ran out of copies" argument has been ran to the ground, I had to debunk it I don't know how many times and it's kind of funny because the original source came from... me, Tales of the Abyss 3DS indeed ran out of copies... in Europe, because they printed an ultra low amount as the game wasn't even translated in anything other than english.
The game didn't meet expectations in Japan (they were hoping for 250k, whether that was a realistic goal or not is another topic), it sold fine in America and did okayish in Europe considering they expected basically nothing, that's it

- Tales of Symphonia GC was a big dissapointment sales wise in Japan, <350k while your other title on PS2 (Destiny 2) one year earlier was selling more than double that is not enough. That Nintendo picked up the game localization for western markets and found some success was great, but Namco didn't get much benefit from it and western markets were an afterthought (kind reminder than in EMEA markets namco basically didn't exist back then, they only gained presence when they bought part of Atari in 2008)

Guess I should have took the time period this happened in to account