• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
On a side note, I totally missed the announcement of Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2018 by Konami. It's coming to PS4 and PSVita in Spring 2018. The game will release in Spring. The PS4 version will support PSVR. Gematsu
I'm surprised it isn't coming to Switch, since the series turned from annual to biannual. With the success Switch is having (especially in Japan) and Sony seemingly not developing a new portable, I fully expected Konami to go the PS4/Switch(/PSVita) route. Maybe they'll add a Switch version later - maybe next year with the roster update for the new season, although that would be very late...

Elfteiroh

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec
On a side note, I totally missed the announcement of Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2018 by Konami. It's coming to PS4 and PSVita in Spring 2018. The game will release in Spring. The PS4 version will support PSVR. Gematsu
I'm surprised it isn't coming to Switch, since the series turned from annual to biannual. With the success Switch is having (especially in Japan) and Sony seemingly not developing a new portable, I fully expected Konami to go the PS4/Switch(/PSVita) route. Maybe they'll add a Switch version later - maybe next year with the roster update for the new season, although that would be very late...
I'm surprised too, but not just at that, but also the noticeable absence of the game on most Nintendo hardware. The visuals seems to be very "Nintendo"esque.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm surprised too, but not just at that, but also the noticeable absence of the game on most Nintendo hardware. The visuals seems to be very "Nintendo"esque.
Jikkyou definitely is more of a PS franchise, historically yeah. It has a lot of success on there; PowaPro 2016 even sold >500k copies on PS3/PSV/PS4 combined. Japan has always been a bit weird to me when it comes to exclusives vs multiplat titles. The 3DS had the blessing of Bandai Namco's Pro Yakyuu Famista (Family Stadium) series, also with success (although not 500k copies for a single installment :P).

What Konami did so well with Super Bomberman R on Switch, is that they saw lack of competition, because most (if not all) other publishers were so hesitant on the success of the Switch. They hit a homerun with that, and unless Bandai Namco reveals Pro Yakyuu Famista for Switch with a Spring 2018 release, I don't see why they wouldn't try to do the trick once again with this series.

Edit: Konami tried the series on 3DS with 'Heroes', which was not a feature complete game. I'm not sure if it's considered any decent success, but I don't think it was a total bomb with 28.145 <20-40%> in the first week (Famitsu) and almost 100k upon leaving the Top 30 in Week 3, 2017, after 6 weeks at <60-80%>. I'm sure it had decent legs after that outside the Top 30.

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I agree with the HD versions since those were re-releases, but i think its more than fair to compare it to MH3. MH3 was also a brand new mainline title. MH3 was released on Wii, the hottest console at the time. MHP2G was released about 1.5 years before MH3, and MHP2 was released about 2.5 years before MH3, so it had been a while since the last mainline MH game. MHP3rd was not announced before 6 months after MH3, but the MH3 sales started slowing down long before that, so MHP3rd shouldnt have any direct effect in that regards.

The biggest difference back then is that MHP2G was still selling solid numbers when MH3 was released. When MHW releases, theres been about a year since the release of MHXX (and about 6 months since the Switch version), but that game isnt selling much now, in comparison to what MHP2G was doing. So you're right that there is less competition in that sense. But the biggest difference i've seen when people compare the titles are portable VS non-portable, and that was/is still present on both MH3 and MHW.

Where has Capcom said that MH is aimed to stay on console only by the way? The only thing i've read that could hint to such thing was one guy saying something about decline in portable gaming.

MHW can totally be compared with MH3 but there are differences to take into account. First, at the time, MH was exploding on PSP---true that, Freedom Unite was released a year and a few months earlier, but in 2009 the game was still selling constantly every week, racking up millions of units. Hence, in consumer mindshare, MH was becoming a PSP franchise, thanks to local co-op and the increasing popularity of PSP. MH3 was announced way before, and Capcom kept releasing PSP games anyway---Capcom didn't make clear they were going to shift from handheld to home console, in fact they made clear that they were keep releasing a handheld franchise (MH Portable) and a home franchise (numbered MH). Also, not completely true that Wii was the hottest console at the time---DS and PSP were more popular; Wii had a bigger installed base than PS3 but in 2009 its popularity was already winding down to the point that PS3 has started to outsell it a lot of time.

Capcom hasn't said in a statement they were going to stay on console BUT as they're talking about MHW it seems pretty clear it's not a one-shot game but the foundation of the expansion of the franchise on PC/console. Worldwide release, huge marketing campaign, constant presence on all gaming fairs, the fact that they're not localizing MHXX Switch (supposedly because they want to focus on MHW). I didn't write MH is aimed at staying exclusively on home console but it's pretty clear Capcom intend MH to be also a home console franchise.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm somewhat confused as to why they would rerelease both One Piece Unlimited Red and One Piece Musou 3 on Switch if they were not releasing the new game. Just seems pointless.

Then again Switch got Xenoverse 2 and isn't getting Fighterz, and I bet Tales will be the same situation.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm somewhat confused as to why they would rerelease both One Piece Unlimited Red and One Piece Musou 3 on Switch if they were not releasing the new game. Just seems pointless.

Then again Switch got Xenoverse 2 and isn't getting Fighterz, and I bet Tales will be the same situation.
Because they don't have a strategy. It's ridiculous. Their platform choices are all over the place.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe there are re-adjustments going on, which is why we have My Hero Academia for Switch + the three exclusives teased earlier (and by re-adjustments I mean also original plans sped up, given the shared timeframe for the exclusives), but it's impossible to re-adjust everything.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe there are re-adjustments going on, which is why we have My Hero Academia for Switch + the three exclusives teased earlier (and by re-adjustments I mean also original plans sped up, given the shared timeframe for the exclusives), but it's impossible to re-adjust everything.

I don't think they ever said they were making exclusives. The phrasing was "original titles", for which MHA would count.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Re-adjusting is okay, and not releasing games for Switch also is totally fine, but it's important to do the marketing well of a game like One Piece. Announcing the game now for PS4 may turn off Nintendo fans who may miss an eventual Switch announcement at a later date and it only gets confusing that way. For big titles, the marketing and stream of info should be clear. 'This is what we're doing, it's for these platforms, and this is when it's coming.'. That's why delays are killing for marketing campaigns, for example.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Bandai Namco is one of the company that outright said they didn't expect Switch to do so well.
Now they're in a readjusment mode, but even if they're a large company they don't have unlimited resources.
Choices were needed to be made on what gets priority and what don't, and what you are seeing today is a result of that.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
I don't think they ever said they were making exclusives. The phrasing was "original titles", for which MHA would count.

Yup. They said that to make it clear it wasn't ports, not that it'd be exclusives (well, I'm sure they do have some of those too). It's actually Takashi Mochizuki that specifically mentioned exclusives, not Bamco.

Bandai Namco is one of the company that outright said they didn't expect Switch to do so well.
Now they're in a readjusment mode, but even if they're a large company they don't have unlimited resources.
Choices were needed to be made on what gets priority and what don't, and what you are seeing today is a result of that.

That's not quite right. They said they didn't expect it to be accepted that fast, not that it wouldn't sell as much as it did.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Re-adjusting is okay, and not releasing games for Switch also is totally fine, but it's important to do the marketing well of a game like One Piece. Announcing the game now for PS4 may turn off Nintendo fans who may miss an eventual Switch announcement at a later date and it only gets confusing that way. For big titles, the marketing and stream of info should be clear. 'This is what we're doing, it's for these platforms, and this is when it's coming.'. That's why delays are killing for marketing campaigns, for example.

What you see today is probably in development for more than a year. They can't just postpone their announcement that was planned five moths ago because of some potential port in the future.

Oct 26, 2017
Thing is, BN made the effort to get Unlimited World R and Pirate Warriors 3 on Switch. Why would they not try to get the newest main game on there as well?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Sub-100k for XC2? People will get their drama after all :P

It would be lower than expected given past week's talks, but we must see the sell-through and legs. If WOM is good, 90k won't mean much for its LTD.

Because the game is likely under development since a few years. It seems a project Bandai Namco has been working on for some time so it's logical it won't come to Switch anytime soon. Then they could have done as Sega with Valkyria Chronicles 4.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Thing is, BN made the effort to get Unlimited World R and Pirate Warriors 3 on Switch. Why would they not try to get the newest main game on there as well?

Thing is, Capcom made the effort to get Monster Hunter XX and Resident Evil Revelations on Switch. Why would they not try to get the newest main game on there as well?

(in other words: putting ports doesn't always mean anything. It does with KT, but they've been on board with the Switch from the start).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I think exclusive is an assumption based on the fact they said they weren't ports. MHA isn't a port.

That was my original point. Those two ports seem pointless if they are not building towards a new release. It's not like either of them will sell well.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
That's not quite right. They said they didn't expect it to be accepted that fast, not that it wouldn't sell as much as it did.

I dunno, everyone who's been watching how the industry progresses should know that systems with slow start rarely works out, and it takes tremendous money and effort to turn the ship around (see 3ds and ps3).
BN's comment just sounds like a polite way to say they didn't see Switch to be a successful platform.
Either way, my point was about resource allocation, and BN is clearly putting it where they think will work.

If anything XV2's sales has shown to BN, it's that the late ports will sell decent enough if the game works well on hybrid system.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the worlds of Bamco themselves in the Q&A AND PRESENTATIONS this year. I even circled or highlighted them in RED

VAEslS2.png
cdeece42-8b2f-400a-8d28-ea225c4296e4

現在までに「ナムコミュージアム」「ONE PIECE アンリミテッドワールドR」「ドラゴンボールゼノバー ス2」の3タイトルを発売し、いずれも好調な売れ行きとなっています。現在は既存タイトルの移植版 が中心の展開となっていますが、開発体制も強化しており、来年度以降Nintendo Switch オリジナルの 新規タイトルを複数発売していく予定です。

You can read into what Bamco actually means and why Mochizuki might think it means exclusives, doesn't necessarily mean he interpreted what is said correctly.

Fact is what don't really know until the games come (or don't come) out

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And then when Namco announces a mainline Tales for Switch, optimism will start flow again... To be decapited another time when the company announces the next anime game on PS4 only.

I honestly don't get why people expect the next Mothership Tales on Switch. It could happen but I would have said something like One Piece made more sense. That franchise has been successful on Nintendo platforms/3DS.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get why people expect the next Mothership Tales on Switch. It could happen but I would have said something like One Piece made more sense. That franchise has been successful on Nintendo platforms/3DS.

I think when he say "people", he mean only you and Aostia really.

The Switch will be what it is. Excessive bullishness or pessimism from us means nothing in the long run.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think when he say "people", he mean only you and Aostia really.

The Switch will be what it is. Excessive bullishness or pessimism from us means nothing in the long run.

Hey, I've (intentionally) posted next to nothing on the subject since the migration.

I'm genuinely curious why a lot of posters(including folks like Schuelma and Fisico) seem to think the next Tales game in particular is likely to be released on Switch.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These type of games have no legs. I don't see why Xeno2 would be the exception, especially when the reception has been nothing spectacular.

Xenoblade is ded. RIP.

Maybe YOU want it to die, From what I read, reception in Japan is far more positive compared to the general feelings for you (specifically) and some parts of ERA.

What matters is sell-through and possible legs. Yes, RPGs don't usually have legs, but Nier managed to leg it quite well despite being a pretty short game.

Plus if 90k opening is bad for this game, then the series should have died in XBX or XB. Or should have died in the XC1 port.

Just wait for the westernized fantasy game from Monolith.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These type of games have no legs. I don't see why Xeno2 would be the exception, especially when the reception has been nothing spectacular.

Xenoblade is ded. RIP.

Xeno2 reception had been spectacular though? And of course Xeno 1 had nice legs just as mentioned on the post early before.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe YOU want it to die, From what I read reception in Japan is far more positive than the general feelings for you (specifically) and some parts of ERA.

What matters is sell-through and possible legs. Yes, RPGs don't usually have legs, but Nier managed to leg it quite well despite being a pretty short game.

Plus if 90k opening is bad for this game, then the series should have died in XBX or XB.

Just wait for the westernized fantasy game from Monolith.
Seriously I don't get why people need to go to a sales thread to spread their hate about a game they don't like.There is a Xenoblade 2 OT for this lol

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Because they announced one for the system, saying its coming out by March 2018, but didn't announce a title? If it was just a port of Berseria or something, there's no need to keep up the mystery unless Nintendo is telling publishers not to reveal their games for no reason. There's also usually only about 2-3 (more often than not 2) years between mainline entries, and sometimes only as little as 1. Its not impossible that they've already were working on something before they even finished the last game.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Xenoblade is ded. RIP.

It won't have "Splatoon legs" but it might double if not more FW sales, especially if supply is constrained, WOM is good and holiday sales kick in. First XB had a 2.5x multiplier over the first week.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they announced one for the system, saying its coming out by March 2018, but didn't announce a title? If it was just a port of Berseria or something, there's no need to keep up the mystery unless Nintendo is telling publishers not to reveal their games for no reason. There's also usually only about 2-3 (more often than not 2) years between mainline entries, and sometimes only as little as 1. Its not impossible that they've already were working on something before they even finished the last game.

Baba being gone might mean that Bamco is interally sorting out how to bring the series forward, and who will be responsible for what. This could be why we have a longer period between the main line games.

After all, Berseria is a companion piece to Zestiria, so the planning, concept and (possibly) some development is probably already underway, before the whole "Baba nepotism scandal" broke out. The next game will be a clean slate and they probably want to repair the reputation of the series, so they are being careful going forward.

This doesn't mean whatever new mainline Tales they announce for is coming for NSW. I personally think it is a port of some kind (not sure what), most because the presentation before mentioned that this game is supposed to come out before the FY ends, and 3 months is TOO short a marketing cycle for a new game (but probably enough for a port).

Last edited:

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't have "Splatoon legs" but it might double if not more FW sales, especially if supply is constrained, WOM is good and holiday sales kick in. First XB had a 2.5x multiplier over the first week.

We will see. Again, if Switch fever didn't help X2 sell at least significantly better than XX then something about the game's presentation / advertisement isn't clicking with its potential audiences.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
And then when Namco announces a mainline Tales for Switch, optimism will start flow again... To be decapited another time when the company announces the next anime game on PS4 only.
We'll get Kamen Rider: Climax Fighters next week (it releases tomorrow), which is a pretty big PS4 exclusive. Let's see how well that one will do. That's the upper bound. Good chance that Little Witch Academia is the lower bound (I hope so for them). The other mid-size anime projects will sit inbetween. We've been talking for years how the PS4 isn't performing as well as we'd like, and now there's suddenly no risk involved with PS4 exclusivity. Of course 5.5M isn't bad; it's about the same install base as the PSVita. The PS4 may finally be viable for exclusive third-party games, but considering Nintendo's successful handheld history, it's a bit stupid to not anticipate on Switch. It's been almost a year since launch by the time the Q1 games come out. The Switch had supply problems from the beginning, a killer first-party line-up for year 1, and a holiday season with steep decline for 3DS and PSVita due to age and Switch interest (which, again, was noticable since its March 3 launch).

I totally get that cheaper, smaller projects are PS4 only, and I think One Piece can do very well on PS4 (300k+), but the group of mid-sized games inbetwee can really benefit from a Switch version, especially those shounen games that have an all-ages audience, which was always best served by Nintendo. I think Bandai Namco have experienced that already with Taiko no Tatsujin. Compare sales and install base of the PS4 game with the first 3DS game and the first Wii U game. Why weresome games on 3DS last-gen instead of Vita and reverse? Because of audience. Where were the licensed games? Right.

Is 90k confirmed for XC2 ?
No.

Status
Not open for further replies.