• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think some users are trying to paint the past few GW as the Holiday being weaker as a whole affecting the system's sales when it's the exact opposite: PS4 having a limited reach and the 3DS reaching saturation + not exciting proposition releasing around that time caused the "Golden Weak" phenomenon.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
That might be their aim but ultimately what say whether or not they stick to that plan is Sales and mostly Overseas and PC sales, Japan is a granted market, They Can NOT mess it up there, but after everything is said and done and World fails to deliver world wide. it will be a flop and possible a step back for the franchise. I imagine the game cost way more to develop than 3DS version, so the bar and sales will be rather high

What matters is consumer perception. MH fans have one possibility if they want to keep playing the franchise as of now: buying a PS4 otherwise they miss the next mainline entry. Then, if Capcom change plans throughout the 2018 things will be different. But for now that's the state of the world.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting Sammy to plan a terrorist attack on Capcom's shipments warehouse.

He won't even get past the front door lol

Nintendojitsu really triggered some ppl. Lol

I'd go a bit higher but he may not be too far off the mark...

iulJ5Ok.gif

So after one piece PS4 o kybwe can assume that the bandii event rumor with strong Nintendo presence was debunked, right?

Mods specifically put no hold in that twitter rumour. Don't why some still trust its word, just like the MHW 4chan rumour which got later debunked. The source is unknown and has no past history.

So far we've had hints or announcements of the following from NB:

One Piece (PS4)
Black Clover (PS4)
MHA (PS4, SW)
Robot game
Tales (perhaps multiple)

Naruto and DBZ already have games, so in terms of anime properties I think thats it for 2018.

[
I'm somewhat confused as to why they would rerelease both One Piece Unlimited Red and One Piece Musou 3 on Switch if they were not releasing the new game. Just seems pointless.

Then again Switch got Xenoverse 2 and isn't getting Fighterz, and I bet Tales will be the same situation.

SW didn't get the new Naruto, DBZ, or OP game. Like many have said, its arrived late. Also most of these franchises get their sales overseas, and with stuff like PS4/PC/XB1 having established bases, I don't think they are in much of a rush.

These type of games have no legs. I don't see why Xeno2 would be the exception, especially when the reception has been nothing spectacular.

Xenoblade is ded. RIP.

Not ded, just continues to be niche. Interested to see if it will have better legs. While not being the exceptional critical success Xenoblade was, it is on the SW this time.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo dates Skyrim for 2/1, Doom for 3/1.

Also, since they're now up for preorder on Amazon.co.jp, it seems they're published by Nintendo itself.

Technically, Nintendo has one first-party published game per month in Japan XD

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - January 19th
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - February 1st
Doom - March 1st

EDIT: Namco already promised they're going to boost the support starting from the next FY, and MHA: OJ might already be a sign of this + the three big worldwide games Namco mentioned a few weeks ago. It's also true that, by reading earlier posts, "original" might've been confused for "exclusives" by Mochizuki, so technically MHA: OJ could be one of the aforementioned games. Still, what just said + the yet-to-be-announced Tales of and Taiko paint a picture of a company that, yes, admitted that wasn't expecting the platform to be adopted so fast and so we see several projects not hitting the system (for now), but that also have had original games in development before the sales happened, so not completely unprepared / fully going against it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see if it will have better legs. While not being the exceptional critical success Xenoblade was, it is on the SW this time.
Kind of wondering if the promise of more content into the next year is enough to entice fewer drops in sales for the coming months. The first Xenoblade never had such a thing and X had a sort of pseudo online raid thing.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I think some users are trying to paint the past few GW as the Holiday being weaker as a whole affecting the system's sales when it's the exact opposite: PS4 having a limited reach and the 3DS reaching saturation + not exciting proposition releasing around that time caused the "Golden Weak" phenomenon.
Even in bad years, there's a rough doubling of sales during Golden Week versus the weeks surrounding it. It's current "weak"-ness is definitely a reflection of the industry and not the shopping habits of the culture.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
SW didn't get the new Naruto, DBZ, or OP game. Like many have said, its arrived late. Also most of these franchises get their sales overseas, and with stuff like PS4/PC/XB1 having established bases, I don't think they are in much of a rush.

Sure. Nevertheless, XenoVerse 2 shipped 400k in two months on Switch, meaning that there is quite a sizeable audience for such franchise on this platform as well.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

This is what is happening I believe, in other markets such as comics and clothes the trend remains that GW sells better. This year was particularly odd however, with most of the market down. It was a strange GW too, this year was the first time I had to go to work in the middle of it in years.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I'm ready for Monolith to move on from Xenoblade. I think they missed the opportunity with 2 to really break out with a more accessible, polished and attractive product. Instead they alienated the people outside the fanbase even more, it's sloppier than the first game technically and fell short of having a really good critical reception. Instead it's a good game for people that love the series, but not much more. And now I'm not even sure it'll break 1 million worldwide on a hot new console with the perfect circumstances. Really feels like a wasted opportunity.
the next monolith game does not look like xenoblade. we already have a piece of concept art that looks like medievil fantasy.

we will see about sales. XB sales were abysmal so far in japan. xb2 seems to adapt a more japan friendly artstyle.. it reminds me of tales or the shining series. the real question is what the general switch bump will do and if NA sales will be hurt by the artstyle (xenoblade x sold really well in NA)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Under 100k would be a huge disappointment for XC2 imo. Barely any gtowth despite being on a system with execellent hardware sales and well in prime selling time.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear it has the best opening. It's a phenominal game.

Maybe the numbers will quiet some people down in here.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Capcom has opted to make it exclusive to PS4 in Japan for unknown reasons.
Both are unpopular in Japan, only feasible reason to skip Switch would be that is literally technically impossible to port World to it

for a second I forgot this was japan alone, my mistake, also, not sure exactly how willingly MH fans really to compromise to go to console, I dont think will be a flop per say, but also think wont be take over MH4 for example.
I mean, Look at 3 (Tri) at 9M userbase Wii, it "only sold" 1 Million units on release, 2 Millions on about 3 years. 3DS tri on the other hand sold 2.6M on the long run.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Disappointment for me and pretty much a confirmation that Xenoblade basically has no real growth potential in Japan.

You expected 120k units FW. If it sells retail 95k, it means that it sold 25k less than your expectations. Huge disappointment?

Also, growth potential should be measured with lifetime sales, not FW numbers. I think you knew that.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand some being disappointed, but 100k is a rather arbitrary number and expected by whom?

Xenoblade X sold 85k (88k according Famitsu) on a lower install base and soon to be dead Wii U. Switch is on a huge momentum and Xenoblade 2 is seen as the successor of the well loved Xenoblade as opposed to the step child Xenoblade X. A lot of games got pretty good sales boosts on Switch, including quite a number of third parties. So for Xenoblade 2 to just barely improve on Xenoblade X sales would be pretty bad.

Now let's see the official results maybe the 90k doesn't even refer to Xenoblade 2.

You expected 120k units FW. If it sells retail 95k, it means that it sold 25k less than your expectations. Huge disappointment?

Also, growth potential should be measured with lifetime sales, not FW numbers. I think you knew that.

-25k is actually 20% less, that's pretty serious in sales. Also X2 will be pretty front loaded no matter what.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the OP I assume we'll have this week's numbers in about 40 minutes? (8 AM EST)

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
-25k is actually 20% less, that's pretty serious in sales. Also X2 will be pretty front loaded no matter what.

I expected 115k units. If it sells around 90k that would not be huge disappointment, just less than predicted.

Whether sales will be front-loaded or not depends on its performance under holidays. If it can crawl past 200k it'll be the best-selling XB game.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

JRPGs are generally very front loaded. The rare exceptions like Xenoblade 1 manage to go past double their first week sales but it isn't very common. The first week sales are in fact very relevant to the final performance in this genre so no I fully meant what I said.

And 95k would ve about 80% of my estimate and that estimate was taking the assumption the game would see some moderate growth over X and before we knoew of big Switch sales this week and last week. Yes, not breaking 6 figures would be a big disappointment imo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expected 115k units. If it sells around 90k that would not be huge disappointment, just less than predicted.

Whether sales will be front-loaded or not depends on its performance under holidays. If it can crawl past 200k it'll be the best-selling XB game.
Does this so called "90K" include digital sales. Not sure where Xenoblade is on the Japanese eshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.