• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
the Switch 2 may be a ways off, like 2022 at the earliest. if Sony can't establish momentum, then exclusives or not won't matter all that much
Momentum is the key word here. I think Sony is actively pushing for big games early on. It's not about exclusives, its about getting Japanese publishers to move fast and start early. The money hating should be more about getting early next gen exclusives rather than exclusives.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Momentum is the key word here. I think Sony is actively pushing for big games early on. It's not about exclusives, its about getting Japanese publishers to move fast and start early. The money hating should be more about getting early next gen exclusives rather than exclusives.
don't think that's really gonna matter for Japan however. for the JP-style lovers in the west, that's great though

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
That would mean the first part of the remake would sell at least 3 million more copies just on the PS4 than the original sold on all platforms combined.

Not saying it happens but Crash N'sane trilogy (over 10 million early this year) has already sold way more than any original Crash game on PS1 (Wiki shows 6.8 million for original Crash Bandicoot).

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
15m for FFVIIR means it will be bigger than Pokemon at west. Just on PS4.

Jan 2, 2018
Not saying it happens but Crash N'sane trilogy (over 10 million early this year) has already sold way more than any original Crash game on PS1 (Wiki shows 6.82 million for original Crash Bandicoot).

Sure, but I don't think you can compare those two games. It's a totally different scenario.

And as far as we know FF XV didn't even break 10 million copies (please correct me if I'm wrong), so to expect over 50% more sales from the first of many parts of a remake? I'm sceptical.

15m for FFVIIR means it will be bigger than Pokemon at west. Just on PS4.

Yeah, I don't think that's possible.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You called them the biggest franchises on Switch that aren't on PlayStation. They're not even million sellers so there's no point mentioning them in the first place.

If you actually wanted to mention a third party IP that sold something significant like a million units on Switch but it isn't on PS4 then that's Octopath Traveler.

I never considered Octopath due to the Nintendo association but you are right, moneyhatting Asano would probably be worth it and considering they made an Apple Arcade game almost certainly realistic.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Not saying it happens but Crash N'sane trilogy (over 10 million early this year) has already sold way more than any original Crash game on PS1 (Wiki shows 6.8 million for original Crash Bandicoot).
FFVII total shipment worldwide / Japan on PS1
FFVII: 9.81M / 4.00M

At the time, a good chunk of FFVII came from Japan (in a percentage much wider than Crash Bandicoot which still sold pretty well in Japan).
Also the N'sane trilogy was sold at a budget price point.

Anyway it's kind of a moot point since FFVII remake is transitioning the gameplay to the action (RPG) genre to have a wider appeal abroad.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After how FF7 Remake has been mythologized for a decade, I expect it to set a new franchise high and pick up a ton of first time players who want to see what the hubbub is all about.

No idea what its finally tally will be since it does have the disadvantage of being a late-generation game exclusive to PS4. Crash's core audience was also on PS4, but it still had the advantage of being able to pick up additional Xbox and Switch players. (Also it was a budget game and marketed towards families, so it would undoubtedly carry better legs.)

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Everything is setting up for FF7R to be a huge launch, it's a historically popular game and it's getting great previews by the press and everyone who's got their hands on it, but selling almost twice as much as XV is probably a best case scenario. SE would be ecstatic if it sold 10.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
That's the exact opposite though.

Crash N Sane is 3 games packed together

FFVII Remake is only part of the original

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Crash remake is the full trilogy at budget price, that makes a big difference when it comes to sales.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It's also not comparable because it's Crash with better graphics, FF7R is a fundamentally different game with the same overall plot and characters.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
I expect FF7R part 1 to be the best selling part, I can see a 10 million but with bundling

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
You called them the biggest franchises on Switch that aren't on PlayStation. They're not even million sellers so there's no point mentioning them in the first place.

If you actually wanted to mention a third party IP that sold something significant like a million units on Switch but it isn't on PS4 then that's Octopath Traveler.
Thinking about it, just for fun, I guess the biggest (sub)series missing PS is the Dragon Quest Monsters spinoff series (in before the next DQM is announced for PS4 lol).

EDIT:
Thinking about the japanese market of course.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That's the exact opposite though.

Crash N Sane is 3 games packed together

FFVII Remake is only part of the original
It will by far be the most successful of the released parts. Chances are are there will be a sizable drop in sales as each episode releases which is the main flaw of such a release schedule. I can certainly see it passing 10+ million sales quite easily and perform like other tentapole Sony exclusive releases.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I would expect Sony holding up World as it's crown jewel for why big Japanese developers need not look at Switch when you can release a PC version with minimal changes and have access to all those Steam sales. They might even see Xbox as an asset since they will add a few more sales with minimal changes to the assets, knowing full well they'll get the lions share of the sales.

"Have your millions in Japan AND the West!"

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the two MH teams merged to ship MHW? I wonder if there are even two distinct MH teams anymore or there is only one team working on MHW2
No, credit checks showed most of the Portable/X leads didn't work on World. You might be thinking the MMO/Frontier team, which was absorbed into the same division and did work on World.

Thinking about it, just for fun, I guess the biggest (sub)series missing PS is the Dragon Quest Monsters spinoff series (in before the next DQM is announced for PS4 lol).

EDIT:
Thinking about the japanese market of course.
DQM1&2 got a remade collection on PS1.

The new DQM is almost certainly going to release on both Switch/PS4.
DQM is 100% coming to PS4

Doubt Nintendo moneyhatted it
I think DQM4 will be PS4/Switch but never say never. The last several console DQ releases this year skipped PS4 (DQ Rivals, DQXIS, DQM retro) and in fact 2019 will be the first year PS4 hasn't gotten a single new DQ game since 2014.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I would expect Sony holding up World as it's crown jewel for why big Japanese developers need not look at Switch when you can release a PC version with minimal changes and have access to all those Steam sales. They might even see Xbox as an asset since they will add a few more sales with minimal changes to the assets, knowing full well they'll get the lions share of the sales.

"Have your millions in Japan AND the West!"
I would hope these don't look at MH and think they can do it too. That's a good way to get burned.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
If sony is interested in growing its audience in Japan I would say that PlayStation 5 needs new IPs not follow ups from IPs they already have. Yes Final fantasy, monster hunter and more is a necessary base to stand on. However I don't see how these IPs will result in PS5 ending with a higher numbers than PS4.

If Sony is interested in Japan for the sake of market share in Japan they need new IPs that sell to the mass market in Japan.

I am not really sure if Sony cares or have the teams that can deliver the IPs they need.

Agreed. Why is nobody else seeming to mention this? Of course PS5 will likely get all the major sequels. Great, but that alone won't stop the decline given all these franchises are declining or flat at best in JP.

What new IPs or JP spinoffs did PS4 have? Most of the "newish" ideas came from the West, thus the sales growth of those titles.

PS4 sequels in JP
MH -> decline (in JP, Growth WW)
RE -> severe decline (nearly halved)
FF -> decline
DQ -> across plats (slight decline)
KH -> flat / slight decline
Yakuza -> decline
Persona -> growth
MGS -> decline (and retired)
Dark Souls -> flat
God Eater -> decline
Ace Combat -> growth
Nier -> growth (long gap between sequels I think?)
Gran Tourismo -> decline
Minna Golf -> decline

New Stuff
Judgment - new spinoff, did well
Spiderman - technically not "new", but nothing like it had really been done in a while. Did well
Death Stranding - hard to tell as a new IP, but it did retain some of the MGS audience
Code Vein - didn't seem to do that well as a spiritual successor to Dark Souls

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Why is nobody else seeming to mention this? Of course PS5 will likely get all the major sequels. Great, but that alone won't stop the decline given all these franchises are declining or flat at best in JP.

What new IPs or JP spinoffs did PS4 have? Most of the "newish" ideas came from the West, thus the sales growth of those titles.

PS4 sequels in JP
MH -> decline (in JP, Growth WW)
RE -> severe decline (nearly halved)
FF -> decline
DQ -> across plats (slight decline)
KH -> flat / slight decline
Yakuza -> decline
Persona -> growth
MGS -> flat (and retired)
Dark Souls -> flat
God Eater -> decline
Ace Combat -> growth

New Stuff
Judgment - new spinoff, did well
Spiderman - technically not "new", but nothing like it had really been done in a while. Did well
Death Stranding - hard to tell as a new IP, but it did retain some of the MGS audience
Code Vein - didn't seem to do that well as a spiritual successor to Dark Souls
I don't think MGS was flat.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoverse 3 should be a PS4/XB1/NSW/PC/PS5/Scarlet game.

Missing a Switch version would be a stupid move (the late port ended up being the #2 best selling version overall and #1 in Japan). There is no valid excuse this time, it should have been in the target platforms since day 1.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The gap between Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2 was less than two years. Guess they're taking their time for Xenoverse 3.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
So hypothetically, if a new Monster Hunter were to release in the first year of the PS5, how much would it sell?

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
All of these publishers have had their highest selling game ever in Japan on the PS4:

D3 Publisher (Earth Defense Force 5)
Atlus (Persona 5)
Ubisoft (Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege)
Sony Interactive Entertainment (Call of Duty: Black Ops 4)
Electronic Arts (Battlefield 1)
From Software (Dark Souls III)
Bethesda Softworks (Fallout 4)
Warner Entertainment Japan (Batman: Arkham Knight)
Compile Heart (Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptune)

And on home consoles:

Capcom (Monster Hunter: World)
Marvelous (Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Link)
FuRyu (Caligula Overdose)

The market as globalized in Japan and this will be even more important on the PS5.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of these publishers have had their highest selling game ever in Japan on the PS4:

D3 Publisher (Earth Defense Force 5)
Atlus (Persona 5)
Ubisoft (Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege)
Sony Interactive Entertainment (Call of Duty: Black Ops 4)
Electronic Arts (Battlefield 1)
From Software (Dark Souls III)
Bethesda Softworks (Fallout 4)
Warner Entertainment Japan (Batman: Arkham Knight)
Compile Heart (Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptune)

And on home consoles:

Capcom (Monster Hunter: World)
Marvelous (Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Link)
FuRyu (Caligula Overdose)

The market as globalized in Japan and this will be even more important on the PS5.
considering a lot of western games haven't done well lately, it's not going to matter all that much. hell, most of those didn't do that well to begin with. Four Goddesses did 56K according to Game Data Library, why the hell are you listing it?