• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
considering a lot of western games haven't done well lately, it's not going to matter all that much. hell, most of those didn't do that well to begin with. Four Goddesses did 56K according to Game Data Library, why the hell are you listing it?
Why are you coming at me like a truck? Calm down.
Western games have been doing better in Japan than known western markets lately so there's no concern. End of generation drops are expected and have happened every generation ever. Four Goddesses is still Compile Heart's best selling game so what's the problem?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
All of these publishers have had their highest selling game ever in Japan on the PS4:

D3 Publisher (Earth Defense Force 5)
Atlus (Persona 5)
Ubisoft (Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege)
Sony Interactive Entertainment (Call of Duty: Black Ops 4)
Electronic Arts (Battlefield 1)
From Software (Dark Souls III)
Bethesda Softworks (Fallout 4)
Warner Entertainment Japan (Batman: Arkham Knight)
Compile Heart (Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptune)

And on home consoles:

Capcom (Monster Hunter: World)
Marvelous (Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Link)
FuRyu (Caligula Overdose)

The market as globalized in Japan and this will be even more important on the PS5.
It's really weird to include SIE there.

Also, looking through the info in previous threads I'm not sure Battlefield 1 is EA's best selling title in Japan and the same is probably true with Compile Heart.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
SIE's bestselling game ever was certainly not BLOPS4? It's not even their best selling game this gen (Minecraft Vita).

Some of the others are incorrect too, at least for real tracked physical (Capcom, Atlus, From) or even when using Famitsu polling (Marvelous/Victor). Among Japanese companies only D3P and FuRyu appear correct.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
SIE's bestselling game ever was certainly not BLOPS4? It's not even their best selling game this gen (Minecraft Vita).

Some of the others are incorrect too, at least for real tracked physical (Capcom, Atlus, From) or even when using Famitsu polling (Marvelous/Victor). Among Japanese companies only D3P and FuRyu appear correct.
Minecraft was SCE lol.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019

What games sold more?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Actually FuRyu's wrong too thanks to Beyblade Switch. I guess we're down to one Japanese company.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
15m for FFVIIR means it will be bigger than Pokemon at west. Just on PS4.
Do you think so?

I was expecting Pokémon to sell above 20 million LTD worldwide, with around 4 million coming from japan. FFVIIR at the best case scenario could sell 1 million in japan and around 15 million WW.

That leaves Pokémon at >16 million in the west and FFVIIR at a max of like 14 million in the west. Maybe my expectations for both are too high?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't say anything about ignoring digital sales but I don't need Famitsu digital estimates to know that Persona 5 outsold Persona with digital sales and digital sales from Monster Hunter World are directly from Capcom so we also know it's above SF2.
Has Capcom given us regional splits for MHW? I must have missed that if so.

P5 likely did more with digital but unfortunately we don't know since Atlus has never given us those numbers.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
15 million on one platform is a lot for FF7 and I don't see it happening. They will also probably have it on the PS5 at or around launch though.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Digital is definitely muddying the water. The fact that publishers haven't abandoned PlayStation en masse like the did for the Wii must mean they are seeing some benefit from towing the line. Especially the small guys.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Has Capcom given us regional splits for MHW? I must have missed that if so.

P5 likely did more with digital but unfortunately we don't know since Atlus has never given us those numbers.
MHW sales in Asia (before China release) were 3.2m (30%) when it was 10.7m worldwide. I don't have an English source but here's where they said it.
And I don't need official numbers from Atlus to know that Persona 5 on the PS4 had a digital ratio above 2.5%..

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
MHW sales in Asia (before China release) were 3.2m (30%) when it was 10.7m worldwide. I don't have an English source but here's where they said it.
And I don't need official numbers from Atlus to know that Persona 5 on the PS4 had a digital ratio above 2.5%..
3.2m Asia doesn't necessarily beat SF2's 2.9m Japan.

As for Atlus I'm just talking tracked figures. I agree P5 likely did more with digital but that has yet to be actually confirmed.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Digital is definitely muddying the water. The fact that publishers haven't abandoned PlayStation en masse like the did for the Wii must mean they are seeing some benefit from towing the line. Especially the small guys.
The thread below implies digital sales aren't enough to offset the declines and are at big discounts.
www.resetera.com

Digital Sales were 17,5% of retail sales in Japan in 2018 but only represented 8,8% revenue

First of all, please note that only games with retail version are included. Digital-only, DLC, etc are not included. Here the evolution if the Japanese digital market from 2013 to 2018. Software year 2018: Ratio package to downloads Software by number of units sold (Legend: Total units sold =...

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Where would they go? It's not the Switch provides any improvements substantial or otherwise in software sales performance. They're pretty stuck which is why most that can are looking westwards.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EKv-JnNX0AAj31d

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The thread below implies digital sales aren't enough to offset the declines and are at big discounts.
www.resetera.com

Digital Sales were 17,5% of retail sales in Japan in 2018 but only represented 8,8% revenue

First of all, please note that only games with retail version are included. Digital-only, DLC, etc are not included. Here the evolution if the Japanese digital market from 2013 to 2018. Software year 2018: Ratio package to downloads Software by number of units sold (Legend: Total units sold =...

So an average of 7221¥ per unit for physical and 3595¥ for digital.

Almost exactly half. But there are SO many variables.

Legacy games, margins and bundles. But at the end of the day both volume and revenue are going up. From 2016 to 2017 digital sales for PS4 actually doubled and 2018 saw even more growth on top of that.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Where would they go? It's not the Switch provides any improvements substantial or otherwise in software sales performance. They're pretty stuck which is why most that can are looking westwards.
Multiplatform, also Switch is easier to develop for, and PS5 has a whole new box of hardware to learn.

It's silly to think things are tied up, unless they are actually tied up via contracts. Also looking west, Switch is catching up to PS4, especially in America where it is going to cross far over 20 Million units sold this Holiday, and Sony just announced 30 Million is America back at the end of September.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why third party support needs to have this all or nothing dynamic going on. There's no need to abandon anything. Third parties, especially the small guys that don't have the means to fully push a PS3, let alone a PS4 could support Switch (maybe even Xbox) on top of PS and Steam.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't get why third party support needs to have this all or nothing dynamic going on. There's no need to abandon anything. Third parties, especially the small guys that don't have the means to fully push a PS3, let alone a PS4 could support Switch (maybe even Xbox) on top of PS and Steam.

That would make the most sense. But I'm starting to think (the more I look over the numbers) that with digital and PC ports on top of that small dev teams can go in with a 'set it and forget it' approach. They'll make the majority of their sales with physical during the launch period but the slow burn of digital and PC sales make it a safer bet.

It's probably why Nintendo is trying to boost digital with their vouchers.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
All of these publishers have had their highest selling game ever in Japan on the PS4:

D3 Publisher (Earth Defense Force 5)
Atlus (Persona 5)
Ubisoft (Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege)
Sony Interactive Entertainment (Call of Duty: Black Ops 4)
Electronic Arts (Battlefield 1)
From Software (Dark Souls III)
Bethesda Softworks (Fallout 4)
Warner Entertainment Japan (Batman: Arkham Knight)
Compile Heart (Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptune)

And on home consoles:

Capcom (Monster Hunter: World)
Marvelous (Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Link)
FuRyu (Caligula Overdose)

The market as globalized in Japan and this will be even more important on the PS5.

If you wanted to be consistent about your narrative, then you would have listed the best selling title ever from every major publisher to compare what best selling titles aren't on PS4.

You're even spinning things by making a home console only category because of what the biggest selling games are on handhelds.

Not to mention the fact it's obviously misleading to claim that Sony's best selling published title ever is BLOPS4 on PS4.

For anyone else reading, it shouldn't be a surprise that a bunch of western titles are having their best success on PS4. Historically, western games don't do that well in Japan. Microsoft would have loved it if people in Japan bought an Xbox for western games but no, they bought an Xbox 360 for the Japanese games that were made exclusive.

Fast forward to the present, PS4 has done what Microsoft wanted, Japanese people are buying western games. This is happening only because there is a decline in sales of Japanese titles due to lack of new IPs and iterative sequels of franchises.

Couple this with the fact that less games have been releasing each successive generation due to increased development time and costs that the gap between AAA games and everything below becomes larger and larger that it's not surprising to see the biggest games become more successful due to less and less rivals on the market.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
If you wanted to be consistent about your narrative, then you would have listed the best selling title ever from every major publisher to compare what best selling titles aren't on PS4.
That doesn't even make sense. All the other publishers are the ones not listed there so you already have your answer.

Oct 25, 2017
Caligula Vita outsold Caligula Overdose. And dozens of Marvelous games on handheld outsold Fate Umbral.

Why even use that for the argument?

Last edited:

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't even make sense. All the other publishers are the ones not listed there so you already have your answer.

So what platforms did they have their best selling games on and how do they compare to their respective franchise games on the PS4?

You're trying to make the claim that publishers had their best success on PS4 while not putting in publishers who had their best success on other platforms so that you could spin how important PS5 is in the Japanese market...

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't really matter how you frame the PS4. Sony systems get the bulk of the development resources and if we're talking about big budget games they will follow Sony. Whether the PS4 was massively successful for them or not, it doesn't really change the story here.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
So what platforms did they have their best selling games on and how do they compare to their respective franchise games on the PS4?

You're trying to make the claim that publishers had their best success on PS4 while not putting in publishers who had their best success on other platforms so that you could spin how important PS5 is in the Japanese market...
What? Wow no not even close roflmao
Seems to me like you're projecting your own bias here.
I never even implied the PS5 is important in the Japanese market what is this.
What I do imply however is that western games will be important to push the PS5 in Japan and more so than previous Sony consoles.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It doesn't really matter how you frame the PS4. Sony systems get the bulk of the development resources and if we're talking about big budget games they will follow Sony. Whether the PS4 was massively successful for them or not, it doesn't really change the story here.

This gen might hurt that though. Their consoles were always known fir having long tales. If hardware sales collapse and software follows then there wont be much between them and Nintendo in that regard.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The famous 10 year Playstation tail already died with Vita. PS4's cycle looks like it'll beat it by a year or so but still fall short of PS1/2/3/Portable.

Sep 24, 2019
Weekly-20191202.png

Total: 605 (+40 WoW)

PS4 - 10
NSW - 8
3DS - 2

Shockingly [NSW] Minecraft is not in the list on COMG.
Sadly my data collection has some missing weeks but the game was in the top 20 for at least 74 weeks

Last edited:

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
What? Wow no not even close roflmao
Seems to me like you're projecting your own bias here.
I never even implied the PS5 is important in the Japanese market what is this.
What I do imply however is that western games will be important to push the PS5 in Japan and more so than previous Sony consoles.

Ok, I misread your phrasing.
You made a list of publishers that had their best selling game ever on PS4 including Sony which was very misleading plus home console only categories because you needed to make the list longer to spin that the best selling games are only on PS4. You're then claiming that these games will be important for pushing the PS5 like... *Reads post* Caligula Overdose (PS4) which has 30k sales recorded on gamedatalibrary.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I am super curious if Level 5 will pull off a miracle with this.
hadn't considered this, but now I kind of want it.
I have no personal interest in level 5's games, but they make for a fun sales roller coaster. I started reading MC in late 2012, and Yokai watch was 2013.

lol my JP sales experience has always had L5 doing something.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
hadn't considered this, but now I kind of want it.
I have no personal interest in level 5's games, but they make for a fun sales roller coaster. I started reading MC in late 2012, and Yokai watch was 2013.

lol my JP sales experience has always had L5 doing something.
Level 5 is also of the big japanese publishers by far the youngest one (it started its publishing duty in 2007) which is quite notable when the all the rest began their career in the videogame industry in the '80s on arcades or Famicom (or MSX).
L5 bult up their fortune on Nintendo consoles with unexpected hits which often relied on parallel multimedia projects to gain popularity.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Level 5 is also of the big japanese publishers by far the youngest one (it started its publishing duty in 2007) which is quite notable when the all the rest began their career in the videogame industry in the '80s on arcades or Famicom (or MSX).
L5 bult up their fortune on Nintendo consoles with unexpected hits which often relied on parallel multimedia projects to gain popularity.

Indeed.

People like to mock Level-5 and Hino because they did make wrong business decisions a lot of times, especially in the past few years. But people like also to forget how the company was able to create 3 million seller franchises out of the blue, by correctly targeting the audience. Layton was riding the training craze, Inazuma was the first successful sport RPG and Yo-kai Watch the only serious Pokémon contender. You must be good in developing games to create such business ventures.

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking exclusive.

Capcom ain't signing for an exclusive MH, Sony would have to spend a lot of money to cover million of potential PC sales and Capcom can't afford to do that when they can make another PS5-Scarlett-PC title (day and date) and trying to repeat MHW success.

A Monster Hunter title exclusive for NSW is a possibility, as long as Nintendo of Europe takes care of distribuition and publishing for the retail version if Capcom is not willing to do it by themselves.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom ain't signing for an exclusive MH, Sony would have to spend a lot of money to cover million of potential PC sales and Capcom can't afford to do that when they can make another PS5-Scarlett-PC title (day and date) and trying to repeat MHW success.

A Monster Hunter title exclusive for NSW is a possibility, as long as Nintendo of Europe takes care of distribuition and publishing for the retail version if Capcom is not willing to do it by themselves.

I think they meant PS5 exclusive in Japan, or not Cross Gen at least.