• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The point is that no videogame remake has ever outsold its original counterpart; I'm obviously not counting games that were never originally released outside Japan (because that's an unfair and pointless comparison).

FF7R will not buck this trend.
Honestly given how NES JRPGs sold, even if FF3 NES had released overseas the DS game still likely still would've outsold it. I don't think FF7R outselling FF7's PSX release (at 9.8m) is impossible. I think it selling 15m probably is though, at least on PS4.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You're very welcome to prove me wrong. But even so, the point is that videogame remakes almost never outsell their original counterparts, no matter how well made or high profile they are.

Proving the thesis "The remake of Final Fantasy VII will not outsell the original release" using the argument that almost never a remake outsold the original game is not very convincing.

First, how much did the original game sell? Only on PS1 or counting PC sales too? What about re-releases?

Second, each remake is a league of its own. Sales depend on so many factors: how long the time span between the two releases is, how much "new" the remake feels/is perceived, whether the franchise is still popular or not, whether the IP has been cultivated or not during the years, which business model is adopted to sell the remake.

We have plenty of recent examples of remakes selling almost as well as original releases. Think about the Crash trilogy, which sold 10m and counting (more than each entry though lower than all entries combined). Or about Pokémon OmegaRuby/AlphaSApphire, which sold 14.23m against 16.22 of the original release. Link's Awakening too will outsell the original game.

If Final Fantasy VII won't outsell the original game it's because it'll have a worse reception. But with a big launch which is guaranteed, how Square has cultivated the FFVII sub-franchise over time, its technical achievement, and re-releases that will definitely happen on PS5 and PC expecting less than 10m is a bit weird imo.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The point is that no videogame remake has ever outsold its original counterpart; I'm obviously not counting games that were never originally released outside Japan (because that's an unfair and pointless comparison).

FF7R will not buck this trend.

This isnt comparable to other remakes, its an unprecedented project.

It shares almost nothing with the original in terms of game design. That might help, it might hurt.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
God the sourcing for this. It's sourced to Nintendosoup (LMAO) which sourced this: https://jp.gamesindustry.biz/article/1911/19112901/

Can anyone verify what was actually said? Google translate seems to say that, but I ain't using that to make an affirmation.
日本ファルコムも米国でゲーマーがSwitchにシフトしていると決算説明会(IRミーティング)の会場でコメントしており,
All i can say is it's legit

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If anything it will be "We want our licensors to pay us for the privilege of porting our games to Switch post-release"

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
This isnt comparable to other remakes, its an unprecedented project.

It shares almost nothing with the original in terms of game design. That might help, it might hurt.
It looks good but the game being only a small part of the original is going to hurt sales. I think the comparison is valid. There are almost no remakes or remasters that outsell the original and that is a convincing point. Selling as close to the original as possible should be the main expectation of ff7r.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
google translation from the japanese article:
Other than the company, Falcom Japan also commented at the meeting of the financial results briefing (IR meeting) that gamers are shifting to Switch in the United States, and it seems that something big is happening in the United States. This is a sign that could make a big difference to PlayStation 5 sales, and I think it needs to be watched.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

ngbbs43cddec7e2b26.jpg

NIS: "Y'all got any more of those games we can release on Switch."

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It looks good but the game being only a small part of the original is going to hurt sales. I think the comparison is valid. There are almost no remakes or remasters that outsell the original and that is a convincing point. Selling as close to the original as possible should be the main expectation of ff7r.

Most of the audience will not even know the game is only a portion of full FFVII's plot.

Anyway, it's not clear how that is gonna affect sales. Next remakes? Sure but the first will have a big impact.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the audience will not even know the game is only a portion of full FFVII's plot.

Anyway, it's not clear how that is gonna affect sales. Next remakes? Sure but the first will have a big impact.
I was also thinking that, but it just hit me, how will the general audience react to a remake telling them to be continued knowing that a full story is already out there? They will need a huge hook that probably changes the story at its core.
Probably the same as monolifthsoft is probably gonna do with xenoblade remake

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
google translation from the japanese article:
What's that even mean? Are they expecting the PS5 to suffer from the Switch' large success in the US? That doesn't seem like a probable prediction.

Whereas Japan seems to be staying still.
Yup, in the Japanese market the PS4 still reigns supreme. The US market, on the other hand, is clearly shifting massively towards Switch.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's that even mean? Are they expecting the PS5 to suffer from the Switch' large success in the US? That doesn't seem like a probable prediction.

Yup, in the Japanese market the PS4 still reigns supreme. The US market, on the other hand, is clearly shifting massively towards Switch.

If that's what they're suggesting I'd have to put on a conspiracy hat and say it's an obvious misdirection.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

They are noting that their Audience in the US prefers to play on Switch than PS4.

More generally, JP AA games (especially JRPG) have shifted their audience on Switch in the West now (see YsVIII, Tales of Vesperia, VC4...)

It is not true in Japan.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They are noting that their Audience in the US prefers to play on Switch than PS4.

More generally, JP AA games (especially JRPG) have shifted their audience on Switch in the West now (see YsVIII, Tales of Vesperia, VC4...)

It is not true in Japan.
Yeah okay, the statement makes more sense when considering the lower end JRPGs. Wonder when they get TOCS on the system... (pretty please)

Please don't attack me for port begging, it was just a little joke

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Level 5 is also of the big japanese publishers by far the youngest one (it started its publishing duty in 2007) which is quite notable when the all the rest began their career in the videogame industry in the '80s on arcades or Famicom (or MSX).
L5 bult up their fortune on Nintendo consoles with unexpected hits which often relied on parallel multimedia projects to gain popularity.
this is a good post about L5 but not sure why I was being quoted lol.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
"PS5 has no chance against the Switch."

*PS5 sells predictably well*

"PS5 is blowing away our expectations, we need to concentrate our resources on it!"
They are not talking about hardware here but software.

There is a real subject here, a shift for indie/JP AA games to the Switch.

PS4/XB1 form factor give them an advantage for demanding games and GaaS whereas Switch has the edge with less demanding games and long ones.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They are not talking about hardware here but software.

There is a real subject here, a shift for indie/JP AA games to the Switch.

PS4/XB1 form factor give them an advantage for demanding games and GaaS whereas Switch has the edge with less demanding games and long ones.

I think it remains to be seen whether there's an actual shift away from PS. We've seen some games do better on Switch(where we have data) and some do better on PS4, I don't think we've seen any evidence that sales on PS have decreased either.

Also colour me sceptical of the idea that Falcom of all companies would be the first to address it.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If Switch launches at China in December it will be an extra boost for shipments this fiscal year.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think it remains to be seen whether there's an actual shift away from PS. We've seen some games do better on Switch(where we have data) and some do better on PS4, I don't think we've seen any evidence that sales on PS have decreased either.

Also colour me sceptical of the idea that Falcom of all companies would be the first to address it.
Name me one indie or AA JP game multiplat game that sold better on PS4 than Switch in the past year and a half ?

There are a lot of genres/games that are selling best on PS4 but that niche clearly moved on Switch in the West.

Examples of games with some data/sources behind it : lots of indie games, Tales of Vesperia, YsVIII, Dragon Quest Builders 2...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Name me one indie or AA JP game multiplat game that sold better on PS4 than Switch in the past year and a half ?

There are a lot of genres/games that are selling best on PS4 but that niche clearly moved on Switch in the West.

I'm fairly sure Valkyria Chronicles 4 and My Hero's One Justice both sold better on PS4 in the few places we have data , just off the top of my head.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly sure Valkyria Chronicles 4 and My Hero's One Justice both sold better on PS4 in the few places we have data , just off the top of my head.
VC4 split in UK : 51% PS4, 39% Switch, 10% XB1 one of the best Switch split at the time in the UK

VC4 sales in Spain :
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Nintendo Switch) - 925
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PlayStation 4) - 575
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Xbox One) - 40

Safe to assume that the overall split was in favor of the Switch given how close it was in the UK (Switch is doing way better in US/France which are big JRPG markets).

Are you sure about MHA ?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
A launch in china would be huge, if they can just get 1% of the chinese population that's 100 million sales.

Was that a media create thread or an NPD thread where that came from? I cant remember

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
VC4 split in UK : 51% PS4, 39% Switch, 10% XB1 one of the best Switch split at the time in the UK

VC4 sales in Spain :
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Nintendo Switch) - 925
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PlayStation 4) - 575
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Xbox One) - 40

Safe to assume that the overall split was in favor of the Switch given how close it was in the UK (Switch is doing way better in US/France which are big JRPG markets).

Are you sure about MHA ?

I don't think its safe to make assumptions about platform shares like that but even if true, it would be very close.

MHA is possibly incorrect, it was taken for granted that the PS4 sold more in NPD because it was no.10 on both PS4 and Switch in October 2018 but the games in the PS4 were the big AAA stuff.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think its safe to make assumptions about platform shares like that but even if true, it would be very close.

MHA is possibly incorrect, it was taken for granted that the PS4 sold more in NPD because it was no.10 on both PS4 and Switch in October 2018 but the games in the PS4 were the big AAA stuff.
Fair enough.

Pay attention this coming year but the split are shifting toward Switch.

Games to keep an eye on : FF:CC, MHA2, One Piece Warriors, Fairy Tail, Trials of Mana and even P5S (if that one skew toward Switch then there is nothing to add really).

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

It is not a shift from Playstation, more like a shift from PS Vita audience to Switch as the next logical step. it seems like people in the west don't care that much about who made the system, but about the form factor.

Honestly, we knew/expected this since forever. i want to say that NIS was much smarter to work on Switch early on, but if Nintendo didn't approach them they would've been the same as Falcom now... probably. Anyway, the reality of the market will force itself sooner or later.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of evolving splits, we might have an actual example this week with SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays (when compared with Super Robot Wars T).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of evolving splits, we might have an actual example this week with SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays (when compared with Super Robot Wars T).
Yes but the question is : are they new players coming from the expanded Switch audience or PS4 players that switched platforms ?

Cross-ownership seems lower in Japan than the West so the former seems to be the main reason here.