• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Those are really good digital sales for P5R.

Yep, and it's not a western game, and the PR states conclusively "in Japan".

So uh, yeah, that's massive. Around 35% digital sales, which is way more than previously thought for a Japanese single player game. Truly, this is the age of vouchers.

Lol the snark.

The numbers are the numbers. Anyone who disputes what the data is telling us is simply in denial. It does make me wonder why the digital was so high though. For this type of game, I don't see a huge benefit to owning it digitally. Especially when it's so new.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
For those who think Ys IX will be a simultaneous PS4/NSW release at west this is a hint.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Good, that's what should be happening. NISA had success with Ys VIII so it's great to see them following up with Trails 3.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Great from NISA, though I wondered why it wasn't day and date at the time. Also Cold Steel 3 is like 6th in line in terms of Falcom RPG I'd love on switch after Trails in the Sky 1, 2 and 3 and Cold Steel 1 and 2. Starting with 3 is basically telling a potential new audience that it's not worth bothering. Its probably going to appeal to people who already own the PS4 version and want to go portable, or people who only played the Vita versions.

Still, it''s nice. If Ys 9 isn't day and date though, I'd take that as a stagnation.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The numbers are the numbers. Anyone who disputes what the data is telling us is simply in denial. It does make me wonder why the digital was so high though. For this type of game, I don't see a huge benefit to owning it digitally. Especially when it's so new.
Maybe the digital limited edition had some effect. In any case 30%+ digital is unusually high for a JRPG that didn't have supply problems.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
NISA does what Falcom won't

looking forward to the many pages of Falcom discussions as a result of this news because we all love talking about small japanese developers who don't move the needle!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that's XSEED. But problem is, XSEED and ports that aren't for PC don't mix well at all (only one on Switch so far is Corpse Party, iirc). They'll go to great lengths to port console-only games to PC, but the opposite, not so much. Probably a mix of business focus and lack of resources (they are a super small company).
Marvelous's red-headed bastard

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Yeah. High digital often correlates with stock issues. But this had an appropriate first shipment so it strikes me as odd.

There's no asian release yet so there's no spinning it as anything else that japanese sales, it's high without a doubt, maybe a bit inflated if Famitsu undertracked it a bit (I assume Sega/Atlus uses Media Create) and they're rounding up numbers so it could be closer to 30% than 40% digital sales.
Of course the opposite could be true as well (Famitsu overtracking and the rounding up number being lower than real sales) so we can't infer much more than what we just got.

We got Atelier recently showing us digital sales got higher across the board, this is now another example.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
15k yen discount for Xbox One X and 10k yen discount for Xbox One S run from 29 November to 9 December. Weeks 48 and 49 will be affected from these deals but it's doubtful there is big interest.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
There's no asian release yet so there's no spinning it as anything else that japanese sales, it's high without a doubt, maybe a bit inflated if Famitsu undertracked it a bit (I assume Sega/Atlus uses Media Create) and they're rounding up numbers so it could be closer to 30% than 40% digital sales.
Of course the opposite could be true as well (Famitsu overtracking and the rounding up number being lower than real sales) so we can't infer much more than what we just got.

We got Atelier recently showing us digital sales got higher across the board, this is now another example.

It's also true that Atelier Ryza was another title that suffered from shortages shortly after its launch, which increases the potential for sales via digital channels.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
These should be the ranges for previous week give or take something.

SD Gundam - 100k
13 Sentinels - 40k
Switch - 200k
PS4 - 10k

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are thinking "Well Mass Effect 3 on WiiU worked great."

They're probably thinking that the Vita is dead and people that wanted a handheld experience probably went somewhere. So they're assuming that their handheld audience moved to Switch.

It doesn't seem like too much of a reach to assume that that people may have played the first two games on Vita and are willing to play the third on the Switch.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
It's also true that Atelier Ryza was another title that suffered from shortages shortly after its launch, which increases the potential for sales via digital channels.

Yep but it probably had strong digital sales from the start too, stock issue pushed it to close to 50% split but it would have been strong (as in >30%) anyway
One can also argue that once a customer bought digital once for a retail game he might be more likely to do it again, so shortage at retail for some games are good news for digital both in the short term (every retail sales lost is a potential digital sales gained) and mid-long term (customers might be more inclined to do it again later after having a good experience beforehand)

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
15k yen discount for Xbox One X and 10k yen discount for Xbox One S run from 29 November to 9 December. Weeks 48 and 49 will be affected from these deals but it's doubtful there is big interest.
Why oh why can't the ps4 get these deals 😭 😭

I'm sure xbox will sell a few thousand but will be dead again once the deal is over.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
They're probably thinking that the Vita is dead and people that wanted a handheld experience probably went somewhere. So they're assuming that their handheld audience moved to Switch.

It doesn't seem like too much of a reach to assume that that people may have played the first two games on Vita and are willing to play the third on the Switch.
I don't think there is any conspiracy theory about this. They just wanted a big title to port with all the licenses they had and that was the one.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Damn that royal digital split is huge. Really unusual, but at least I feel more validated in my prediction a while back.

So I heard y'all liked 'em Falcom discussions, and... yeah.

Not sure what NIS is expecting when they're not even porting 1 and 2 beforehand, but heh... At least we know what we can expect for JP sales (= nothing).
Well that was predictable.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

There is no reason to assume this isn't true. It's just odd for a JRPG with no stock issues to be moving ~35% of its total sales as digital. We don't have many examples of that happening. Atelier had heavy stock problems at launch so that one makes sense.

We'll have to see if the trend continues. I wish we got digital sales. (Real ones, not estimates)

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
There is no reason to assume this isn't true. It's just odd for a JRPG with no stock issues to be moving ~35% of its total sales as digital. We don't have many examples of that happening. Atelier had heavy stock problems at launch so that one makes sense.

We'll have to see if the trend continues. I wish we got digital sales. (Real ones, not estimates)
What examples do we have of official PR and/or sales numbers that demonstrate that a specific title had poor digital sales?

The reason we don't have many examples of it happening is because we don't have many examples of official PR/numbers for a specific title in Japan I'd say, no?

Like, did Capcom provide Japan only numbers for RE2 remake or DMC5? I think they've only given global numbers. Or did Square Enix provide Japan only numbers for Kingdom Hearts 3? Only thing I've seen has been global.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
What examples do we have of official PR and/or sales numbers that demonstrate that a specific title had poor digital sales?

We do occassionally get shipment numbers don't we? I'd have to take a lot of time to go dig them up though since I just look at the links others post.

Also, just want to clarify I never used the word poor. Digital on PS4 looks to be 20% on average based the info in that revenue and units thread. That's significant.

The reason we don't have many examples of it happening is because we don't have many examples of official PR/numbers for a specific title in Japan I'd say, no?

Sure, not disputing that. But what else do we go off of? I'm not one of those people thinking that Japanese companies ignoring Japan is an issue so this isn't a gotcha type thing. There just isn't that much actual info out there for us to conclude how normal this is. I've been going off the digital ratios from that report a while back.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I must have missed the post about Pokemon Sword/Shield Digital sales. Could someone direct me to a proper source?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
P5R stated officially as 400K is massive when the last known retail numbers (in this thread in fact) is 232k with high sell-through..

Nice.

Nora...

Yup... Yup and all they had to do is pay Sony 30% and a bandwidth fee. If sold for the same price as physical thats a lot more money they are making.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
PS4 Digital Title Ranking

So uh, a lot of people paid 5k yen to download a really old SEGA mecha fighter. Kinda interesting. I'm a bit surprised by how relatively low Sakura Wars is so close to release. I'm guessing its audience is relatively quite old and prefer the physical copies.

1. SD Gundam G Generation Premium G Sound Edition (¥13,200)
2. Cyber Warrior Virtual-On Masterpiece 1995-2001 (¥4,950)
3. SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays (¥9,020)
4. 13 Sentinels (¥9,878)
5. SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays Season Pass (¥3,520)
6. 13 Sentinels Premium Edition (¥13,178)
7. Soul Calibur VI Season Pass 2 (¥3,740)
8. Death Stranding (¥7,590)
9. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (¥8,657)
10. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (¥4,888)
11. New Sakura Wars (¥9,680)
12. Civilization VI (¥6,930)
13. Death Stranding Digital Deluxe Edition (¥9,790)
14. Deemo -Reborn- (¥4,378)
15. Persona 5 The Royal (¥9,680)
16. Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon Infinite Combate (¥7,700)
17. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order Deluxe Edition (¥9,676)
18. New Sakura Wars Digital Deluxe (¥16,280)
19. Minecraft (¥2,640)
20. Border Break 30 Day Premium Service (¥1,400)

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
PREDICTION LEAGUE DECEMBER 2019

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Nov 25 to Dec 29):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 1.300.000
[NSW] Pokémon Sword / Shield [second month] (35 days) - 900.000
[NSW] Ring Fit Adventure [third month] (35 days) - 450.000
[PS4 + NSW] SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays (32 days) - 190.000
[PS4 + NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4++ (25 days) - 65.000
[PS4] Project Sakura Wars (18 days) - 150.000

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Good ranking for the Virtual On collection! Nice to see after Index bombed, it's just too bad Sega West has no interest in bringing the series overseas.