• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
so are we gonna have much bigger switch numbers with the next mc thread or nah?They said that they are gonna ship more units in december I think

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
It entirely depends on how many were produced tbh.

Take a look at the support and software sales Capcom had for PS360: RE5, RE6, REOC, Lost Planet, SFIV, DMC4, Dead Rising, Dragons Dogma, Marvel vs Capcom and some others.

Hmmmm successful for sure especially if viewed in isolation but I'm not sure I'd say biggest success. Pretty much every single one of those listed franchises has now seen substantial declines in sales (Resident Evil / Street Fighter / ) or completely cratered (Lost Planet / Dead Rising / MvC) - maybe part of this trend begun with failures to nature the correct audience in the previous generation or milking of those franchises for short term gain but resulting in long term failures?

It puts their shifting of Monster Hunter onto PS4/Xbox into an interesting perspective after long, continued success on handhelds for several generations. Have they again gone with making short term gains at the expense of long term success? Time will tell

Interesting to contemplate

Aki-at

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza Kiwami 2 up 30k from the PS4 version of the original but not enough to mitigate the loss of the PS3 version. Good thing the sales of this series has picked up in the West significantly!

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Huh the pro sold more? was it on sale it Japan?

monster-hunter-world-ps4-pro.jpg

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm successful for sure especially if viewed in isolation but I'm not sure I'd say biggest success. Pretty much every single one of those listed franchises has now seen substantial declines in sales (Resident Evil / Street Fighter / ) or completely cratered (Lost Planet / Dead Rising / MvC) - maybe part of this trend begun with failures to nature the correct audience in the previous generation or milking of those franchises for short term gain but resulting in long term failures?

You're looking at 30-35 million pieces of software sold from those titles. Also some of their franchises cratering has got more to do with their bad design choices than platform troubles: Lost planet 3 outsourced, DR4 outsourced, MvC poor investment and hence graphics.

fareastern

Dec 3, 2017
No switch pacman this week then... (well is you can make the from collective nintendo)

also ps4 pro to total ps4 percentage is 52.7% so still have no idea where the rockman is

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So no evidence then as the platform support comes from PS4's global success which Capcom explicitly said. Its funny that you go against an explicit statement just to side with some basis that has no evidence.
So you're saying DQXI came to PS4 for western sales? What evidence is there for that?

The games existing is really evidence enough though, and not limited to these two. Falcom's another example, they prioritzed both Japan and PS4 but are left with a shrinking market for it.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
You're looking at 30-35 million pieces of software sold from those titles. Also some of their franchises cratering has got more to do with their bad design choices than platform troubles: Lost planet 3 outsourced, DR4 outsourced, MvC poor investment and hence graphics.

Yes, as I said viewed in isolation and sales numbers alone a successful generation. But they failed to grow many of those franchises during that generation or create any significant new ones and poured a lot of money into development during that time for sometimes not great returns. Resident evil was declining from 5 to 6. Lost world was completely killed. Dead rising declining. Sales alone cannot be the barometer as they disguise some of the mistakes Capcom were already beginning to make, laying the foundations for their struggles this generation.

Not saying you are wrong or right but interesting to think about, personally I'd probably say they were more successful in the PSP / 3DS generation

Status
Not open for further replies.