• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Well the Xenoblade 1 release was kinda a mess all around in the USA (store exclusive, and way later then EU), i have read that it was pirated over a million times too wich is quite alot, altho the wii was so easy to mod/homebrew tho but it could have been a factor too.

I'm talking about Japan.

Doesn't mean much. Each 3 games had pretty different "art style" when it comes to characters and they all sold more or less the same.
I'm pretty sure Monolithsoft will just do what they think is good for their projects (as long as they have freedom) and that's it.
I guess the chara design of Xenoblade 2 is kinda common, but compared to people who dislike Rex's outfit, I actually like it a lot, because it's closely tied to the story.
A good thing would be that his "full" suit or even another type, just to have a second choice, could be available for people who are not fan, but beside that...

Anyway, Xeno 2's number is most certainly hindered by th lack of stock for both the console and the game I think.

We'll see. I'll sit here hoping for something more tasteful in the future. I can deal with Rex's outfit, but I still can't seem to get used to Homura's weird body or Hikari's awkwardly placed boob window. I don't expect a game from Japan free from sexualized designs, so it's a matter of degree.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to main character, the design is bad.

When it comes to waifu, the waifu aren't appealing either.

There's definitely a chance aesthetics of the next Xenoblade will have further outreach.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how Big the Switch is in Japan and this being a niche IP one would think it would at least give it a 120-150k debut. Saying it sold more than the last 2 means little to me when it can't even hit 100k still when all is said and done.

There is something like digital sales these days, that had been not relevant on Wii/WiiU. With digital X2 is over 100k easily.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't change my post even if you're only talking about 1st party IPs. There isn't a competition inside Nintendo about which game sell the more.

It does change your post even if you look at it from the perspective that in your hurry to try to insult me you didn't even read my post properly.

It's not about competition, it's about potential for the 1st party games on Switch. But now I understood your point that Xenoblade is destined to be a rather mediocre selling series and we should be happy about it.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Out of interest - and I know it's hard to measure meaningfully - do we have an idea as to how long 'supply constraint' has lasted for various console launches? Both in terms of weeks and in terms of units sold. The Switch feels like it's been particularly long, but it's hard to judge.

It's hard to say exactly how long the other systems stopped being supply constrained, but in my nearly 14 years in Japan, this is the longest I have ever seen this go on for a piece of hardware.

The DS lite had shortages for this long, true, but they would come and go. Like there would be plenty for a few weeks and then gone for a month. That stuff lasted (if I can remember correctly) for most of it's first year and continued sporadically well into the second The Wii had the same issues. But with both of thee systems, if you went around to enough places, you could usually find one at retail price. The Switch is different.

But that's not a good thing. Yes, it keeps people interested in getting the hard to find system but it is also leaving a lot of money on the table. I think the Switch could easily sell as many units as the 3DS and maybe even the Wii if they were actually available. It makes for great discussion to say "Wow the Switch is super popular, it has been sold out for 9 months!" but in reality every time we report about a store being sold out that means some customers were not able to buy one.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Good week for Switch and good for XBC2. But after hearing that a Switch got a big restock last week I had hoped it would be closer to 170k and not 120k :/

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
It's not about competition, it's about potential for the 1st party games on Switch. But now I understood your point that Xenoblade is destined to be a rather mediocre selling series and we should be happy about it.

I mean, it is what it is. The series has had 3 bites of the apple before this and expecting a literal sequel to suddenly explode in popularity was very unrealistic.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I looked it up on SteamDB and the Steam version of Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi is only available in Japan. That means the 17,940 ± 4,024 number are all Japanese sales.
All versions cost the same: ¥9504 incl VAT at retail and ¥8554 incl VAT and 10% discount at digital stores across all platforms.
Total sales will look something like this then:

Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi
Code:
Media Create + SteamSpy

PS4 -  27.230
PCD -  17.940  (± 4,024)
NSW -   5.636

Total: 50.806

Code:
Famitsu + SteamSpy

PS4 -  35.027
PCD -  17.940  (± 4,024)
NSW -   5.786

Total: 58.753

Edit: The game does have a PC retail release, but I don't know the details about that. Sales might be a bit higher in reality.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, so who is right? Switch sold 124k or 150k.

200k would have been too much to expect from a console under supply constraint.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Famitsu's Switch numbers make a lot more sense here.

133k last week and 150k this week is how it should actually happen, considering we've started December and have a somewhat notable release this week.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does change your post even if you look at it from the perspective that in your hurry to try to insult me you didn't even read my post properly.

I don't care if you're happy or not about the situation, the reality is that comparing Xenoblade to other more casual IPs like 1-2 Switch is pointless since they're not targeting the same market at all nor have the same sales ambitions. Even with the best intentions in the world, Xenoblade 2 wasn't going to sell 250k+, unless it dramatically changed to the point where it wouldn't cather the same people. Could it have sold more than it did with some changes ? Sure, but not dramatically more.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Meh numbers for Xenoblade. Obviously over 100k with digital but they probably wanted like 10-20k more.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
So 200k-ish LTD for XC2? It's okay I guess.

Baten Kaitos 3 would've done 500k first week though.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
RIP Xenoblade 2 sales hype train November 30th, 2017 - December 6th, 2017

still a good first week relatively speaking, but i knew you lot were getting swept up in it lol

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Some strange differencies between Famitsu and MC, even more than usual. And yet Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is basically the same across the two trackers, lol.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if you're happy or not about the situation, the reality is that comparing Xenoblade to other more casual IPs like 1-2 Switch is pointless since they're not targeting the same market at all nor have the same sales ambitions. Even with the best intentions in the world, Xenoblade 2 wasn't going to sell 250k+, unless it dramatically changed to the point where it wouldn't cather the same people. Could it have sold more than it did with some changes ? Sure, but not dramatically more.

I think I wasn't clear, I was talking about LTD in case of the 1st party software.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
01./00. [WII] Xenoblade (Nintendo) - 82.952
03./00. [3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D |new 3DS| <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.02} (¥3.996) - 56.932 / NEW <58,66%>
03./00. [WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.29} (¥8.316) - 85.586 / NEW
02./00. [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.12.01} (¥7.980) - 97.732 / NEW

Seems good to me, some people really want to this game to fail eh.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if Nintendo wanted far bigger sales from Xenoblade, I'm sure they would have told Monolithsoft to get rid of the convoluted combat and either go with standard command battle, or just turn it into a fully fledged action RPG.
Simplicity is what is needed to get the game in more hands I think.

Edit: Now I think about it, I wouldn't mind a Xeno game with gameplay like Secret of Mana.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RIP Xenoblade 2 sales hype train November 30th, 2017 - December 6th, 2017

still a good first week relatively speaking, but i knew you lot were getting swept up in it lol
Eh, hype train has been converted into a hype mini-van. Good leg room. I think Switch hype got the better of us, but the game is still a success by whatever expectations we should have had based on the previous games.

Also, Pokemon is legging away, good to see considering it seemed to open a little lower than I had expected.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if Nintendo wanted far bigger sales from Xenoblade, I'm sure they would have told Monolithsoft to get rid of the convoluted combat and either go with standard command battle, or just turn it into a fully fledged action RPG.

Edit: Now I think about it, I wouldn't mind a Xeno game with gameplay like Secret of Mana.

Bingo, I know this would get me to buy it. Clearly Nintendo doesn't mind giving Monolith Soft free reign over that though, so I'd imagine they're fine with these sales.

Xenoblade is not major, lol.

Nintendo knows it has a limited audience.

It's major compared to most of their other Switch releases over the past few months. You'd expect a week with even a moderately important game launch to have more supply than the week before.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade's had 3.5 chances and still hasn't broken out yet. Time for Nintendo to give The Gooch another shot and do The Last Story II.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. All they would have to do is dial the combat back. Instead they went in the opposite direction and added more to it.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
tomnookq7pmo3codl.png

Hero of Legend

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
We'll see. I'll sit here hoping for something more tasteful in the future. I can deal with Rex's outfit, but I still can't seem to get used to Homura's weird body or Hikari's awkwardly placed boob window. I don't expect a game from Japan free from sexualized designs, so it's a matter of degree.
I see you're point. I'm immune to that but I also liked X chara design million times much more. Well, Tanaka... with Elma...
So I'm just enjoying this one differently.

It's certainly prettu intriguing to imagine what they're doing on this action RPG game. I'm clearly don't want Jrpg to become "A-RPG" only, but I'm clearly excited to see Monolith work on Medieval + Action type.

Seems good to me, some people really want to this game to fail eh.
The Switch is surrounded by a sea of salt, so this game is likely to be an easy prey.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade's had 3.5 chances and still hasn't broken out yet. Time for Nintendo to give The Gooch another shot and do The Last Story II.

I would be down for this. Remaster the first game too.

Yeah. All they would have to do is dial the combat back. Instead they went in the opposite direction and added more to it.

The combat being dialed back would kind of defeat the purpose in an MMO inspired system. I don't know how or why you would ever need to dial back from the first game. If you just want to beat it's not particularly complicated.

They may just need to go straight action or straight turn based.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great debut for XC2, Digital can put the game around 120K easily. I still think that Nintendo is not capable to supply the demand this Christmas for the Switch in Japan (The demand in NA is out of their hands and is going to affect Japan supply). BTW... People saying that XC2 bombed... Lololol. In what dimension??? Really...

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
These threads are hilarious when people overhypes themselves without much evidence and then when their overhyped expectations aren't met act like the game is a failure. 97k is fine, not outstanding but at least it's growth for the series which is always good. Wonder if people will keep insisting that waifus saved FE after this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.