• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Doesn't make sense if the LTD is already very high: 3 million. MHW Iceborne is going to do very well. MHW has great legs globally.
Good for globally but this MC thread, so, again, I stand by what I said, MHW had a great release but given the lack of legs compared to omother games, i asse the game sold more on the novelty factor: "OMG MH is back on PS and HD, I have to try it!!!!"

I wonder why Capcom has not decided to bring Monster Hunter World on the Switch. Is is just technical limitations ? I mean they could have double the sales in Japan. Look Dragon Quest XI with the dual release on PS4 and 3DS, I'm pretty such with the 3DS, DQXI would have never sell over 4 million copies on PS4 alone.
Given that the engine still MTF, I call BS on the tech side, Capcom simply just dont care enough.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Most people didn't predict MHW to do as well as previous entries due to being on a low/mediocre selling home console instead of hot portables, and it was the first ever PS4 game to sell a million at launch so broke that precedent too.

But it was still the first main entry since 2014, and the first ever true generational leap, in easily Japan's biggest gaming brand of the last decade.

Didn't dq11 on ps4 sell a million at launch when we include digital and sales from the bundle released earlier?
Is there a reason you think digital is bigger for MHW than it is for Smash?

Yeah the estimates and sales reports at the time suggest it was around 650k digital which gives a launch of 2m. That would be the biggest launch this year by far.
I'd be very surprised if Smash doesn't outsell MHW by the end of March.

MHW should be close to 3m by now in Japan. I can't see smash selling more then that so MHW should end 2018 on top.
We don't know about Switch digital sales, but I really doubt they are as big as on PlayStation 4. Even if SD cards aren't expensive, how many people have one?

It's 4 million just for the PlayStation 4 version. In Asia, but Japan is the biggest country for the game, so 3M in Japan and 1M in the rest of Asia seems likely.
Also isn't it 4m+? So for all we know it could be 4.4m or 4.5m.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
MHW should be close to 3m by now in Japan. I can't see smash selling more then that so MHW should end 2018 on top.
It will all depends how Smash legs hold, if they do it well, xmas week should have another sales boost, but yeah even so 4M as an exclusive in 4 months is extremely
rare and hard

-/-/-/-/-/-/—/-/-/—/—/-//-//////—/-
The lack of FF content in Smash makes me wonder how much money was SQ asking on licensing fees

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
It will all depends how Smash legs hold, if they do it well, xmas week should have another sales boost, but yeah even so 4M as an exclusive in 4 months is extremely
rare and hard

-/-/-/-/-/-/—/-/-/—/—/-//-//////—/-
The lack of FF content in Smash makes me wonder how much money was SQ asking on licensing fees
I'm talking calender year as in 2018 so it only has a month. It's just so weird seeing a playstation console game as the years best seller. When did that last happen. Ps2 days?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It doesn't have to reach 4 million, only 2.85, which is what famitsu has MHW at in Japan, which is about as accurate as we can get.
Calendar year is impossible, fiscal year it will happen.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have to reach 4 million, only 2.85, which is what famitsu has MHW at in Japan, which is about as accurate as we can get.
Calendar year is impossible, fiscal year it will happen.
The only accurate is 2m sell-through at retail with shipments being around 3m in Japan and the game having basically stopped selling after its first months.

These are the comparisons. In January we'll have Smash numbers for both.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Given that the engine still MTF, I call BS on the tech side, Capcom simply just dont care enough.
If it was only a tech issue then Switch would already have Monster Hunter: World Cloud Version by now.

We all know the real reason it's not on Switch is Sony securing an Asian exclusivity deal for the game. One they're apparently continuing looking at Iceborne's platforms in the region.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I'm talking calender year as in 2018 so it only has a month. It's just so weird seeing a playstation console game as the years best seller. When did that last happen. Ps2 days?
If we are doing the calendar year then yes, but it becomes event a more rodiculos comparison trying to nail 1 month vs 9 of sales (MHw was jan or march??)

If it was only a tech issue then Switch would already have Monster Hunter: World Cloud Version by now.

We all know the real reason it's not on Switch is Sony securing an Asian exclusivity deal for the game. One they're apparently continuing looking at Iceborne's platforms in the region.
The exclusivity deal was ever confirmed? I had people back them jumping up that it was just a baseless rumor

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield V is one step away from bomba bins but the word is retailers will try to keep the price as high as possible until holidays end. It's free dive after that.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

has there ever been a case of a confirmed secret exclusivity deal? in the past i've always interpreted any such rumors as people being sad a third-party game wasn't multiplatform.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
If we are doing the calendar year then yes, but it becomes event a more rodiculos comparison trying to nail 1 month vs 9 of sales (MHw was jan or march??)

The exclusivity deal was ever confirmed? I had people back them jumping up that it was just a baseless rumor
It's less of a comparison to smash and more just looking at the full calendar year and seeing that a ps4 game takes top spot. First and probably last time ever the console will likely achieve this. Hasn't happened since the ps2 days for Sony AFAIK.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
has there ever been a case of a confirmed secret exclusivity deal? in the past i've always interpreted any such rumors as people being sad a third-party game wasn't multiplatform.
A Microsoft exec came as close to confirming it as anyone will. Capcom also commented before on Sony's significant co-promotion/funding in Asia so it's not exactly difficult to connect those dots. It's obvious.

There's really no credible way to explain no Japanese Xbox release otherwise as well. Capcom releasing every game except their (by far) biggest one on XBO for any other reason defies basic logic.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for double post.

The leaker blog posted a picture of Saint Germain. In the past he posted a Saint Germain picture to hint that something sold 300k.

This is because in Japanese, Saint Germain sounds like "San Ju Man" (300k).

Don't get too excited yet. Maybe we are reading too much.
220px-Count_of_St_Germain.jpg

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Anything lower than 80k would be a disappointment with that price drop.
Sorry for double post.

The leaker blog posted a picture of Saint Germain. In the past he posted a Saint Germain picture to hint that something sold 300k.

This is because in Japanese, Saint Germain sounds like San Ju Man (300k).

PS4 HW new record set, I guess

/s

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
It sold 4 million worldwide, including the PC release.

Considering the post history and where we are my assumption was that we were talking about Japan.
We can talk about worlwide sales but that's another matter.

For God Eater 3 things will be as bad as expected, hype remains at very low levels. An opening close to 200k looks very unlikely..

What about Judge Eyes, does it look like it will sell the same as Kiwami and Hokuto ga Gotoku

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for double post.

300k for Switch HW on Smash week always seemed possible so I wouldn't be that surprised. It would be a fantastic result of course.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
300k could mean many things.

Famitsu will give the early report in a few hours and will have hw and sw numbers.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey 300k would be above my prediction for that week, so it'd compensate for the slower week 48 and put me back on track for my overall YTD prediction. Neat.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for double post.

Isn't it too soon for the leaker? Doesn't the leaker leak later usually, as in 12 hours from now or so?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the leaker is just a fan of Neymar.

But if it is 300k, then fuck yeah. Along with the PS4 boost, it would be a pretty sweet HW week.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
The smash bundle is already out 3 weeks before the software right? If so then I'm sure it will impact sales on software launch week, so over 200k would be good enough.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
250k would be good in my book but below that is really not performing well. Week 48 did underperform a bit but only by a relatively low number so it was largely forgettable.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You guys are a mess. 300k went from above expectations to baseline now. lol