• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I have met Slayers fans who have told me that they think Slayers Try looks better than Slayers Revolution, so that opinion does not surprise me. We'll see how Japan thinks. I'm guessing they see through this shitty game and it absolutely falls on its face and doesn't come close to Z2.
looking at Game Data Library, Z2 did 14K

how are you even gonna sort the people who were disappointed with the game and the people who just don't give a shit about the series?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
So many excuses and insults over a shovelware game bombing only because it's on PS4.

I'm not so sure there aren't incentives driving P5 and SMTV exclusivity behind the scenes.
I mean that comes down to if your expecting Etrian Odyssey to be multiplatform not because you'd first need evidence that they're willing to perform cross ecosystem development before we can ascertain whether this is true. I mean Catherine even went backwards in this regard.

There probably is some but enough to secure exclusivity we'll see. All the evidence so far honestly seems to me like they prefer operating in this manner.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that comes down to if your expecting Etrian Odyssey to be multiplatform not because you'd first need evidence that they're willing to perform cross ecosystem development before we can ascertain whether this is true. I mean Catherine even went backwards in this regard.

There probably is some but enough to secure exclusivity we'll see. All the evidence so far honestly seems to me like they prefer operating in this manner.
I mean, we'll see. Before things were so different with 3DS and the "PS ecosystem" (3/V/4) that exclusives to each were sort of necessitated. That's changed now with PS4/Switch where multiplatform releases now make sense in a way they didn't last gen. I'm not so sure EO will follow the old mold again.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Sony supported Atlus with Persona 5, at least in Asia, and looking at current statement of how important Persona is for them they won't let it land to other platforms so easily.

From what is known Persona 5 was released in Chinese before English thanks to Sony and they also helped a lot with anime and merchandising.

Sony is very close to several Japanese studios for far too many years and this doesn't mean only good relations.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean, we'll see. Before things were so different with 3DS and the "PS ecosystem" (3/V/4) that exclusives to each were sort of necessitated. That's changed now with PS4/Switch where multiplatform releases now make sense in a way they didn't last gen. I'm not so sure EO will follow the old mold again.
Even if that were true, we are probably headed for another era of disparity beginning next year

It's going to be interesting to see where Japanese publishers land. Or not, because we already know they will mostly focus on PS5

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
18./16. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 4.246 / 3.194.509 <80-100%> (+13%)
35./21. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} - 1,739 / 3,123,918

There is a huge discrepancy between Famitsu and Dengeki for Splatoon.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There are many Japanese companies and games that depend heavily on Japan. PS5 launches with different circumstances from PS4 when it was seen as the only viable option for many of them. Not a turn away from it but even more of them will go multiplatform and abandon Sony exclusivity.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Almost never in Japan though. On the other hand Sony Japan did say how important Persona was to PlayStation recently...
I don't really think that means anything. Any first-party would say a successful third-party series is important to them. Sony is nowhere to be found in the Persona copyright or trademark. I suspect there's an informal agreement between the companies, but Atlus is slowly showing more and more interest in the Switch, so I don't think a port is impossible.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
18./16. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 4.246 / 3.194.509 <80-100%> (+13%)
35./21. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} - 1,739 / 3,123,918

There is a huge discrepancy between Famitsu and Dengeki for Splatoon.
Nothing new for Dengeki, they forgot to add the sales of the new SKU that just came out.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
The exclusive age for high budget titles has died if there isn't strong moneyhat behind.

I wonder why? They could reuse 95% of the assets from Kingdom Hearts 3 and make a sidestory you can play as standalone.

I mean a similar aproach to how Majoras Mask was created with the assets of Ocarina of Time.

If this lands on PS4 everyone would be insulted but if it`s an exclusive version for Switch everyone would be happy.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
There are many Japanese companies and games that depend heavily on Japan. PS5 launches with different circumstances from PS4 when it was seen as the only viable option for many of them. Not a turn away from it but even more of them will go multiplatform and abandon Sony exclusivity.
Even Sony said they will focus on promoting triple A games. Mid tier to low budget games will stand no chance and they won't sell hardware either. Its better for mid tier developers to make Switch exclusives and focus on making them as best as they can be.

Tetriso

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Even Sony said they will focus on promoting triple A games. Mid tier to low budget games will stand no chance and they won't sell hardware either. Its better for mid tier developers to make Switch exclusives and focus on making them as best as they can be.

Astral Chain, YK4 and DxM say no
This is just 2019 BTW

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Astral Chain, YK4 and DxM say no
This is just 2019 BTW
Not sure if the IP's you mentioned are representative of a hit product bombing. I even believe that Astral Chain did pretty well for a Platinum game. Its not like they put out hit game after hit game. The other 2 have clear reasons for their failure (even though I'm not sure where DxM sits at right now versus expectations).

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would think games like Travis Strikes Again, Daemon x Machina, and Astral Chain all carried extremely low expectations and Nintendo wasn't at all surprised by those results. Particularly given how Astral Chain is already considered a success by Platinum, and its sales don't look very impressive from what is publicly available.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I mean, I have met Slayers fans who have told me that they think Slayers Try looks better than Slayers Revolution, so that opinion does not surprise me. We'll see how Japan thinks. I'm guessing they see through this shitty game and it absolutely falls on its face and doesn't come close to Z2.
Sorry for the off-topic, but... Try does look better than Revolution lol.
fysu7rz4nks75oe52atdgh2xwmwz4azk_hq.jpg

Slayers%20REVOLUTION%20-%2011%20-%20Large%2002.jpg
(Sorry couldn't find any good pics from Try that wasn't in a bad resolution or a bad gif in the middle of a reaction).
Different eras (97 vs 2008) and staff anyway.
People really wanted that game to fail for some reason.

It's funny that it did better than a lot thought it would in Japan. We all thought it would get creamed by Azur Lane, but instead it looks like it beat it somehow.
"some reason" being switch exclusive and weird standards.
Cf Arms sales numbers and it still being argued to be a failure for Nintendo "for some reason".

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
"some reason" being switch exclusive and weird standards.
Cf Arms sales numbers and it still being argued to be a failure for Nintendo "for some reason".
The reasons i've seen is that Nintendo expected more, and also based on that they dropped update support for the game faster than e.g Splatoon 2. So its not unknown reasons why people think so (as in being "some reason"). I'm not sure if Nintendo has commented much on ARMS' performance. The last update i see is at 2.1 million.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard beforehand, Nintendo seemed disappointed in the player falloff for ARMS. I imagine they expected people to stay more engaged with the game than they did.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still puzzled by what Level-5 wanted out of this YW4 late port. The audience mismatch was so obvious.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The reasons i've seen is that Nintendo expected more, and also based on that they dropped update support for the game faster than e.g Splatoon 2. So its not unknown reasons why people think so (as in being "some reason"). I'm not sure if Nintendo has commented much on ARMS' performance. The last update i see is at 2.1 million.
The thing is there's absolutely no source for "Nintendo expected more".
People just say "it didn't sell like Mario Kart despite being by the same team so it's a failure" (paraphrasing), all while avoiding the context or comparisons to other games in the genre. It's one of the best selling Switch games and got a lot of support (longer than a lot of games), so you can draw your own conclusions from that.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017

You have a source for this claim?

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
From what I've heard beforehand, Nintendo seemed disappointed in the player falloff for ARMS. I imagine they expected people to stay more engaged with the game than they did.
Releasing that game a month before Splatoon 2 must have helped its launch sales but it probably really hurt its longevity

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I believe Nintendo has a real soft spot for Platinum. I remember the days I was really worried they would be shuttered. Then you have Nintendo publish 2 of their games, tap them to help with Star Fox and then announce 2 more. I think Nintendo is greenlighting these projects not in the hopes they will set sales records but for something else. With this support I don't see Platinum any differently than I do Omega Force now, putting out reliably impressive games with a long enough client list to be happy with whatever results.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I believe Nintendo has a real soft spot for Platinum. I remember the days I was really worried they would be shuttered. Then you have Nintendo publish 2 of their games, tap them to help with Star Fox and then announce 2 more. I think Nintendo is greenlighting these projects not in the hopes they will set sales records but for something else. With this support I don't see Platinum any differently than I do Omega Force now, putting out reliably impressive games with a long enough client list to be happy with whatever results.
Nintendo clearly has fans of both Platinum Games and Dragon Quest in high places.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Majority of the OG platinum team were among the group who was making the capcom 5 games under mikami who really preferred Nintendo over Sony at the time. Its no wonder Nintendo are close to them.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo clearly has fans of both Platinum Games and Dragon Quest in high places.

Or instead of waiting around for Capcom to graciously announce a Devil May Cry game they figured the next best thing is to go to the man himself and support his latest endeavor. Which is probably why Bayonetta ended up in Smash so fast.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Pokémon to be around 200k and all Switch evergreens to increase. Hope SMM2 and DQXIS see notable increases.