• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
A proper 3D Kirby game could be the game that breaks out the franchise imo. I love Kirby so I really hope it sees the light of day

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
A proper 3D Kirby game could be the game that breaks out the franchise imo. I love Kirby so I really hope it sees the light of day
kirby has been getting more involved in it's lore as well. star allies was the first exposition dump the series had so the next kirby game may be story based as well.

the current director of kirby (kumazaki) used to write or was a fan of lovecraftian horror.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
IDK why anyone would be sure that Kirby folder thing means anything related to 3D gameplay at all...

Even if not (meaning it doesn't mean anything) I think a 3D Kirby game is the way to go. Star allies really did feel like 2D Fan service the game, and Kirby kinda needs to get pushed into another direction.

That and we haven't seen a Kirby game in almost 3 years (if you exclude the fighters 2 game

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
kirby's sales potentiate has giant but it has never been ale to live up to it, a 3d game could be great for the franchise as a lot of the fanbase who buy's the current games are hardcore kirby fans or casuals with almost no in-between. a breath of fresh air as well as a better explanation of the lore would go a long way to grow the franchise.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's good too know. i would still say 3d kirby is next, kumazaki has been extremely coi (idk how to spell the word in english) about how different the next game will be.
kirby feels too simple for its own good. throwing in some more complexity, whether it's by way of level design or going full 3D might do it some good. and without the expense of its approachability

Oct 26, 2017
Even if not (meaning it doesn't mean anything) I think a 3D Kirby game is the way to go. Star allies really did feel like 2D Fan service the game, and Kirby kinda needs to get pushed into another direction.

That and we haven't seen a Kirby game in almost 3 years (if you exclude the fighters 2 game

You can expect some kind of Kirby release almost yearly, so they're always working on them. There was Kirby Clash a year before Fighters 2.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
how do you post images?
MRiT1Pc.png

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
kirby inherently isn't approachable

the gamplay is basically 2d DMC
the lore is way too dark for more casual players
there is way too much gore

the only things making it approachable are kirby is cute and the fact the main games are easy.

sinedona

Dec 2, 2020
Not sure if this has been discussed (didn't find any history of it in these threads), but there was an update for Switch sales in Korea from Daewon Media as of the end of Q2. Not the full picture, since Nintendo of Korea distributes a large portion of Switch consoles.

According to IR data released by Daewon Media Co., a South Korean distributor of Nintendo games and software, sales of the Nintendo Switch totaled 90,964 units in the second quarter of this year, up 106.4 percent from a year ago.

During the same period, the sales of Switch game titles reached 325,545 units, up 189.7 percent from a year before.

The number of Nintendo Switch consoles and game titles sold through Daewon Media since it was released until the second quarter of this year totaled 596,682 units and 1,769,937 units, respectively.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
We are due to a new Kirby game too, aren't we? It'll be 3 years since the last one soon, so I imagine we may get info on a new one in January/February.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I just can't picture a 3D Kirby game. Would it just be a straight up platformer? Or one with more combat? Or a Souls clone?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
According to thesame article, Daewon Media acounts for around half of korean market.

"The actual cumulative sales of Nintendo Switch and game titles are estimated to be about two times higher than such figures since the products selling at large discount stores are supplied directly by Nintendo Korea.

In particular, the sales of Nintendo Switch picked up from the second quarter of this year thanks to the popularity of the brand-new game Animal Crossing: New Horizons that was released on March 20.

TMON Inc., one of the country's major e-commerce operators, held a promotional event in May selling ten units of the Nintendo Switch packaged with the Animal Crossing game. It received 562,088 phone calls in only one hour."

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
According to thesame article, Daewon Media acounts for around half of korean market.

"The actual cumulative sales of Nintendo Switch and game titles are estimated to be about two times higher than such figures since the products selling at large discount stores are supplied directly by Nintendo Korea.

In particular, the sales of Nintendo Switch picked up from the second quarter of this year thanks to the popularity of the brand-new game Animal Crossing: New Horizons that was released on March 20.

TMON Inc., one of the country's major e-commerce operators, held a promotional event in May selling ten units of the Nintendo Switch packaged with the Animal Crossing game. It received 562,088 phone calls in only one hour."
That's an obscene amount of thirst.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im thinking kirby would be much better off if they didn't hide that. from the outside it's a generic cutesy platformer.
doubt Kirby would be as popular as he is if they leaned too much into its eldritch lore. the fact that it's subtle is the fun part

For some reason I just can't picture a 3D Kirby game. Would it just be a straight up platformer? Or one with more combat? Or a Souls clone?
Super Mario 3D World, but with Kirby

lightning16

May 17, 2019
It's definitely hard to think about what a 3D Kirby would look like. Most of the 2D Kirby games I've played have been pretty straightforward course clear types of 2D platformers where the main hooks are the powerups you get from enemies and Kirby's overpowered movement mechanics. I think the former translates fine to 3D (why wouldn't it?) but the latter seems like it'd be a nightmare to design stages around. It already seems like a bit of a nightmare to design engaging 2D stages around it.

My personal wish would be to see them keep a focus on powerups from enemies (obviously) and still using these powerups to fight things, but maybe working in more collectables and environmental puzzles around them where "course clear" isn't really the main draw but trying to find as much stuff as you can while working through the courses (and having fun fighting enemies using your powers). Like a 3D take on Yoshi's Woolly/Crafted World type of collecting-focused platformer but also with better combat scenarios due to Kirby's more engaging fighting mechanics compared to Yoshi.

But yeah idk. Nothing feels like a perfect fit with Kirby mechanics as we know them. Interested to see what direction they take if there really is a 3D Kirby game on the horizon.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odyssey. but with borb

it already has the whole "using enemy powers" and "course clear" stuff

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Surely I wasn't expecting to see this much discussion about the next mainline Kirby for Switch (the hybrid system which is home & portable at the same time. Not just home. Not just portable. Both. They're one and the same, you can't just consider one aspect while completely ignoring the other) in this week's Media Create thread.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Surely I wasn't expecting to see this much discussion about the next mainline Kirby for Switch (the hybrid system which is home & portable at the same time. Not just home. Not just portable. Both. They're one and the same, you can't just consider one aspect while completely ignoring the other) in this week's Media Create thread.
Remember, we're fanboys for considering this instead of just denying that the switch isnt just a handheld

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely hard to think about what a 3D Kirby would look like. Most of the 2D Kirby games I've played have been pretty straightforward course clear types of 2D platformers where the main hooks are the powerups you get from enemies and Kirby's overpowered movement mechanics. I think the former translates fine to 3D (why wouldn't it?) but the latter seems like it'd be a nightmare to design stages around. It already seems like a bit of a nightmare to design engaging 2D stages around it.

My personal wish would be to see them keep a focus on powerups from enemies (obviously) and still using these powerups to fight things, but maybe working in more collectables and environmental puzzles around them where "course clear" isn't really the main draw but trying to find as much stuff as you can while working through the courses (and having fun fighting enemies using your powers). Like a 3D take on Yoshi's Woolly/Crafted World type of collecting-focused platformer but also with better combat scenarios due to Kirby's more engaging fighting mechanics compared to Yoshi.

But yeah idk. Nothing feels like a perfect fit with Kirby mechanics as we know them. Interested to see what direction they take if there really is a 3D Kirby game on the horizon.
The issue with making it a simple 3D platformer is as you said Kirby's movement mechanics are rather overpowered. He can just fly or float anywhere. I can't think of a 3D platformer that just lets you fly at will, that can't be easy to design.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
3d kirby couldn't be a platform you would be able to fly wherever. kirby is going to be straight up action before a full on 3d platformer

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with making it a simple 3D platformer is as you said Kirby's movement mechanics are rather overpowered. He can just fly or float anywhere. I can't think of a 3D platformer that just lets you fly at will, that can't be easy to design.
Inducing limitations would make the most sense. In Smash Bros, kirby can float for a limited time. Doing the same here solves that problem.