• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Even then Nintendo is having a lot of success appealing to that demographic. Breath of the Wild, Super Smash Bros and Super Mario Odyssey are all popular with that demographic on the high end of Switch games and then Nintendo targets that demographics heavily on the mid and low end with stuff like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Astral Chain, etc.
sure they do, and they always have to some extent, but that's not the entirety of what i was getting at. i'm talking about having prestige with this demographic, not just sales. nintendo games will never achieve the kind of cachet with the bulk of young adult male gamers that other publishers like sony achieve regularly with their premier releases. it's just not possible with nintendo hardware in its current form. in the age of social media and twitch/youtube streaming you can't underestimate the value of this kind of brand driven marketing to third party publishers.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is why I mentioned Japanese third parties.

If you look at GBA best-selling games you don't see games that weren't present in some form or another on Sony platforms or that were huge miss for them (Namco Museum, Pac-man, Frogger, movie tie-ins).

This doesn't mean that PS4 needed to succeed or Sony would have left the gaming console market...? Also, you must look at trends: PS3 started badly but performed better over the years and in particular eventually had a good performance in all markets but the United States.

I dont think they would leave gaming but would had faced serious problem if ps4 would had failed

Credits ArmGunar

P&L Till Q2 Till Date

XphBNkG.png

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say Nintendo hardware is only for kids and teens but it certainly is marketed to those demographics a lot harder than Xbox or Playstation are which will create that perception to a degree.
Since Nagoshi cares only for PlayStation, Xbox and PC must not cater to these demographics either.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
sure they do, and they always have to some extent, but that's not the entirety of what i was getting at. i'm talking about having prestige with this demographic, not just sales. nintendo games will never achieve the kind of cachet with the bulk of young adult male gamers that other publishers like sony achieve regularly with their premier releases. it's just not possible with nintendo hardware in its current form. in the age of social media and twitch/youtube streaming you can't underestimate the value of this kind of brand driven marketing to third party publishers.
It was even possible on N64 with GoldenEye. So why not on Switch. Even Perfect Dark did quite well on late N64. I think for Nintendo to get these games they have to prove it. They just need a big western studio with yearly releases like Rare was in the past.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
It was even possible on N64 with GoldenEye. So why not on Switch. Even Perfect Dark did quite well on late N64. I think for Nintendo to get these games they have to prove it. They just need a big western studio with yearly releases like Rare.
they could put more money into retro studios and buy next-level games to cover the off-years.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
First day sell through {2020.12.03}

[PS4] [NSW] Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy (Koei-Tecmo) - 60%

[NSW] Derby Stallion (Game Addict) - 50%

[NSW] Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 20%

I'm late, but this is probably better than what happened in the last few pages. Time to compare recent releases with their previous iterations when possible (I don't think we have the first-day sell-through for Densha de Go DS back in 2010; but I'll check later anyway).

Atelier Ryza 2's first-day sell-through is in the same range as the original back in September 2019, which had a 60% FD sell-through as well. Assuming KT obtained to ship more copies on shelves this time (the original suffered from shortages shortly after launch), this could be a good hint at a stronger debut overall.

[PS4] [NSW] Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.800) - 60%

The original Atelier Ryza's debut:

Famitsu

03./00. [PS4] Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.09.26} (¥7.800) - 53.428 / NEW <80-100%>
09./00. [NSW] Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.09.26} (¥7.800) - 25.538 / NEW <80-100%>

Media Create (including first-week sell-through)

[PS4] Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.09.26} (¥7.800) - 44.693 / NEW (81,39%)
[NSW] Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.09.26} (¥7.800) - 22.908 / NEW (83,39%)

www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2019 (Sep 16 - Sep 22)

First Day Sell-through {2019.09.26} [PS4] Code Vein # (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.200) - 40% [PS4] [NSW] Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout # (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.800) - 60% [PS4] Ys IX: Monstrum Nox # (Nihon Falcom) (¥7.800) - 50% [PS4] FIFA 20 (Champions Edition) (Electronic...

Meanwhile, both Derby Stallion and Fitness Boxing 2 witnessed important improvements over the FD sell-throughs of their former respective iterations: Derby Stallion Gold for 3DS sell-through was 25% on its first day, and the original Fitness Boxing on Switch (the hybrid system that targets a wide variety of customers, not just teens and kids but definitely adults as well and way more, and which is home & portable at the same time. Not just home. Not just portable. Both. They're one and the same, you can't just consider one aspect while completely ignoring the other) had the *ahem* honor to be mentioned among other games in the so-called "Bomba Land Collection" (thus, 10% sell-through at best). Definitely a better situation for both games, and it's difficult to not imagine a way higher debut for FB2 at least.

Bomba Land Collection

[NSW] Battle Princess Madelyn <ACT> (3goo) (¥3.200)
[PS4] Battle Princess Madelyn <ACT> (3goo) (¥3.200)
[NSW] Fitness Boxing <HOB> (Imagineer) (¥5.800)
[NSW] Funghi Puzzle: Funghi Explosion <PZL> (D3Publisher) (¥2.800)
[NSW] Katamari Damacy Reroll <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥3.200)

More details on Derby's Stallion Gold's first week

Famitsu

03./00. [3DS] Derby Stallion Gold <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.12.04} (¥6.264) - 70.402 / NEW <40-60%>

Media Create

03./00. [3DS] Derby Stallion Gold <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.12.04} (¥6.264) - 73.616 / NEW (53,66%)

And here's what we have for Fitness Boxing

[NSW] Fitness Boxing <HOB> (Imagineer) {2018.12.20} (¥5.800) - 2.533 / NEW (22,68%)

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Since comg comparison will be relevant for Ryza 2, the first one launched with 83 and 40 points on PS4 and Switch.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
This doesn't mean that PS4 needed to succeed or Sony would have left the gaming console market...? Also, you must look at trends: PS3 started badly but performed better over the years and in particular eventually had a good performance in all markets but the United States.

Which happened exactly because Sony sank a lot of resources into rebranding and readvertising.

Sony wiped a lot of the profits it had made in earlier generations so the PS3 could flourish by the end and pave the way for the PS4. It was more or less a reset button coming from the high of the PS2's success, which makes it more of a failure than not.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Which happened exactly because Sony sank a lot of resources into rebranding and readvertising.

Sony wiped a lot of the profits it had made in earlier generations so the PS3 could flourish by the end and pave the way for the PS4. It was more or less a reset button, which makes it more of a failure than not.
So what do you say, that market was ready to turn the back off of PS4 and Sony to say goodbye to video games? They apparently tried a lot to reverse PS3 fate and it worked, PS4 started from a strong position not a questionable one.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
since then they've confirmed that development has officially begun.
www.resetera.com

Dragon Quest XII development preparations are underway (UPDATE: production began in 2019, says Horii)

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/dragon-quest-walk-announced-for-smartphones-dragon-quest-xii-preparations-underway UPDATE: the DQ11 team are recruiting for a new title https://gematsu.com/2019/06/square-enix-dragon-quest-xi-team-hiring-for-next-generation-dragon-quest-title UPDATE 2...

That was a sketchy translation that I already debunked before

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
At least globally though when you look at sw shipments GBA is only behind SNES when it comes to ratio of third party / first party sw shipments. On GB around 45% of total sw shipments were by Nintendo. On GBA only around 24%
GBA and SNES has some other trait in common: low first-party software sales by Nintendo's standard.

Though the origin/cause of the low first-party software sales is different between the two.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
That went out the window the day it was decided to be a PS4 game.

This, at least for me, was an extremely weird move. It's not a totally impredictable one, since people pointed out some reasons before (3DS not being as sucessful as DS, Wii U flopping in all it's lifetime, PS4 being sucessful in the west even having a hard time in the Japan), but it's weird if considering that the 3DS had basically two DQ remakes prior the XI announcement. Why try to build a fanbase of the series inside the 3DS if they, at least in the beggining of the development, didn't had any intention on putting DQ11 on it? Wouldn't be easier to just remaster DQ8 for PS4?

About DQ 12, if they ever skip Switch and went full force to PS5, the only logical explanation on my mind is that they want to syncronize and parallel the Dragon Quest fanbase with the Final Fantasy fanbase and unify them into one console brand. It's probably the most stupid way to treat two different franchises with so little in common, but it's not the most impossible move ever for Square-Enix.

About Nagoshi and Switch being for Kids and Teens, knowing that the Yakuza series always gave me an impression of being a light-heated parody of the Real Yakuza, this kind of statement coming from him is a little ironic.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
By the way, we can go back to "Nagoshi lives in a parallel world different from ours".

Well speaking of doubtful translations...
Nagoshi is pretty pro-Sony no doubt, but this is a textbook example of badly paraphrasing an out of context quote just to get clicks/inflammatory comments (bonus points for mentioning Yakuza and using a "thug picture" on the article)

Nagoshi was asked about Super Monkey Ball and how it being the first Sega game on a Nintendo system might have affected development
He litterally replied that Nintendo platforms back then and even know have an install base made of a wide range of age groups but that the biggest ones are kids and teens (using 基本的に is a bit strong and does show a bias though, but that doesn't mean he didn't say what he said just in the previous sentence), that was an observation on his side (which might be debatable) and certainly not him saying "Nintendo hardwares are for kids and teens", that's litterally puting words in his mouth

I feel like I already made a rather similar post months ago on an older Nagoshi quotes, can't bother to check back, but while it's all fun and games to laugh about these few individuals and their obvious bias towards Sony, let's hold our horse downs and at least check the validity of what they supposedly said before making fun of it.
That one was also a fairly easy to pick for anyone bothering to check beyond a dumb twitter quote to be honest.

Exact quote is there a bit before the 12:00 mark if anyone wants to see by himself

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just don't see it in this particular interview.

Now if you want to talk about what he said vis a vis Sakura Wars and Switch...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what is the expectation for puyo puyo tetris 2? anyone have lifetime numbers for 1 handy?

edit: from gamedatalibrary
3DS - 100k
Switch - 83k
PS3 - 24k
Vita - 14k
Wii U - 8k

edit 2: looking at the yearly threads, the numbers are way out of date

Last edited:

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Well speaking of doubtful translations...
Nagoshi is pretty pro-Sony no doubt, but this is a textbook example of badly paraphrasing an out of context quote just to get clicks/inflammatory comments (bonus points for mentioning Yakuza and using a "thug picture" on the article)

Nagoshi was asked about Super Monkey Ball and how it being the first Sega game on a Nintendo system might have affected development
He litterally replied that Nintendo platforms back then and even know have an install base made of a wide range of age groups but that the biggest ones are kids and teens (using 基本的に is a bit strong and does show a bias though, but that doesn't mean he didn't say what he said just in the previous sentence), that was an observation on his side (which might be debatable) and certainly not him saying "Nintendo hardwares are for kids and teens", that's litterally puting words in his mouth

I feel like I already made a rather similar post months ago on an older Nagoshi quotes, can't bother to check back, but while it's all fun and games to laugh about these few individuals and their obvious bias towards Sony, let's hold our horse downs and at least check the validity of what they supposedly said before making fun of it.
That one was also a fairly easy to pick for anyone bothering to check beyond a dumb twitter quote to be honest.

Exact quote is there a bit before the 12:00 mark if anyone wants to see by himself

That really doesn't make it better in my eyes. It's extremely similar to the Lite answer during the Sakura Wars question. Why is he even talking about the current hardware being mostly used by kids and teens if the question was about something decades ago.

And also the source for "I think it's hardware for kids and teens" is an official translation from Sega's own subs in the video. So if there is any fault, it's with Sega for putting this out.

Last edited:

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I just don't see it in this particular interview.

Now if you want to talk about what he said vis a vis Sakura Wars and Switch...
Yeah, I wish we had a real translation of that interview. We only ever talked about the Sakura Wars line, but I remember someone mentioning that there were other outrageous things there.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Getting asked about Super Monkey Ball and somehow jumping to Switch reads like typical Nagoshi. With one way or another he always manages to say the output of his team isn't suitable for Nintendo hardware.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I wonder, since he's mad at Nintendo because Yakuza flop on the Wii U, will they keep developing for Playstation because Sakura flop there? Or does that only applies for Nintendo consoles?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 1&2 not selling on Wii U was a real financial disaster for Sega, so much effort and resources for nothing. It's expected Nagoshi never overcame that, it's worse than Harada's huge investment on 3DS and Wii U that didn't pay off either.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder, since he's mad at Nintendo because Yakuza flop on the Wii U, will they keep developing for Playstation because Sakura flop there? Or does that only applies for Nintendo consoles?
is that really the reason? that seems way too petty... and stupid

i mean, whatever his reasons, they are probably petty, but this is too much

Yakuza 1&2 not selling on Wii U was a real financial disaster for Sega, so much effort and resources for nothing. It's expected Nagoshi never overcame that.

I guess it's a bigger deal than I thought. Why would ports be a "financial disaster" though...

I mean Sega has to be seriously mismanaged if a couple ports were that crippling for them

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Also we have a chart made last year about the demographic from Nintendo (only from the US though)

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-31%20at%2015_08_06.png

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nagoshi still acting as if some PS2 HD Remasters on WiiU were his personal The Sprits Within and lost Sega hundred million us dollar.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
COMG! preorders chart, Week 49 2020:
Each point represents one preorder at this retailer. It is a relatively small retailer located in one region so be careful when you extrapolate, especially regarding Otaku games (overrepresented) and family games (underrepresented).

1. Monster Hunter Rise - 97 pts (+10 pts)
2. Cyberpunk 2077 – 33 pts (+10 pts)
3. Monster Hunter Rise Double Pack - 14 pts (+0 pt)
4. Aleste Collection Collector's Edition (PS4) - 9 pts (+0 pt)
5. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 8 pts (+2 pts)
6. Story of Season Ranch of Olive Town - 7 pts (+2 pts)
7. Aleste Collection Collector's Edition (NSW) - 7 pts (+0 pt)
8. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (NSW) - 7 pts (+2 pts)
9. Rune Factory 5 Collector's Edition - 6 pts (+3 pts)
10. Nier Replicant sqrt(1.5) - 6 pts (+0 pt)
11. Disgaea 6 Limited Edition (NSW) - 4 pts (+1 pt)
12. Bravely Default II - 3 pts (+1 pt)
13. Rune Factory 5 - 3 pts (NEW)
14. Yokai Watch Jam (NSW) - 3 pts (NEW)
15. Dokapon UP! Mugen no Roulette Limited Edition (PS4) - 3 pts (NEW)
16. Earth Defense Force: World Brothers (PS4) - 2 pts (NEW)
17. Children of Morta (NSW) - 2 pts (NEW)
18. Fate Extella Celebration Box for Nintendo Switch - 2 pts (NEW)
19. Disgaea 6 (PS4) - 2 pts (NEW)
20. Disgaea 6 (NSW) - 2 pts (NEW)

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nagoshi being more vocal about the Switch lately could mean he's getting more internal pressure to expand to it. My understanding is that the "kiddy" stigma is more of a western thing and not all that common in Japan.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This, at least for me, was an extremely weird move. It's not a totally impredictable one, since people pointed out some reasons before (3DS not being as sucessful as DS, Wii U flopping in all it's lifetime, PS4 being sucessful in the west even having a hard time in the Japan), but it's weird if considering that the 3DS had basically two DQ remakes prior the XI announcement. Why try to build a fanbase of the series inside the 3DS if they, at least in the beggining of the development, didn't had any intention on putting DQ11 on it? Wouldn't be easier to just remaster DQ8 for PS4?

About DQ 12, if they ever skip Switch and went full force to PS5, the only logical explanation on my mind is that they want to syncronize and parallel the Dragon Quest fanbase with the Final Fantasy fanbase and unify them into one console brand. It's probably the most stupid way to treat two different franchises with so little in common, but it's not the most impossible move ever for Square-Enix.

About Nagoshi and Switch being for Kids and Teens, knowing that the Yakuza series always gave me an impression of being a light-heated parody of the Real Yakuza, this kind of statement coming from him is a little ironic.
I have a feeling they had planned a DQ for the PS4 and 3DS, 2 totally different games to serve both audiences with the hope of also having the PS4 version break out in the west. But plans probably drastically changed when they got the data back about the PS4 version

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Nagoshi being more vocal about the Switch lately could mean he's getting more internal pressure to expand to it.
Nagoshi just 2 weeks ago stated that his team will continue to focus on PlayStation and could adopt more online / cinematic elements in order to match the content of the new platform.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nagoshi just 2 weeks ago stated that his team will continue to focus on PlayStation and could adopt more online / cinematic elements in order to match the content of the new platform.
Sega has the resources to do both which is probably why he frames it as an audience thing despite the data proving him wrong.

Last gen Sony wanted to consolidate the console industry under PS4 which obviously didn't work and for the last few years have moved to position it as the prestige system instead. It won't work either and instead it'll probably end up being the otaku console. It'll continue getting FF, Persona, Falcom games, etc as exclusives and those IPs will be fine since their audiences won't mind buying a console specifically to play those games.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sega has the resources to do both which is probably why he frames it as an audience thing despite the data proving him wrong.

Last gen Sony wanted to consolidate the console industry under PS4 which obviously didn't work and for the last few years have moved to position it as the prestige system instead. It won't work either and instead it'll probably end up being the otaku console. It'll continue getting FF, Persona, Falcom games, etc as exclusives and those IPs will be fine since their audiences won't mind buying a console specifically to play those games.

I thought Sony had been distancing itself from a lot of those titles, outside of the obvious releases that lean towards the mainstream like Persona and Falcom?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder what Sega will attempt to turn into their AAA budget IP. Yakuza? maybe a new IP? cause it sure as hell ain't gonna be Sakura Wars