Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2017 (Dec 04 - Dec 10)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Chris1964, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Peace

Peace Banned Member

What is supposed to happen tomorrow ? That's the second time someone mentions it.

If anything, the discussion of the last pages I've been more interesting than the one we have usually, imo.

2. DarkDetective

DarkDetective Member

New numbers.

3. Peace

Peace Banned Member

Yeah, but is there a particular number that should be interesting ?

4. asagami_

asagami_ Member

New weekly numbers, new hot takes!

5. Chris1964

Chris1964 SalesEra Genius Member Original Poster

How high Switch will be and how low PS4 will be.

And Busters 2.

6. Xbro

Xbro Member

New thread will always reset the discussion. Reason we get the same topics in most threads is because people don't want those discussions to stop.

7. 200k+ Switch Numbers, baby.

8. skittzo0413

skittzo0413 Member

That and Odyssey over 1M, MK8D approaching or over 1M, Zelda possibly approaching 900k (combined SKUs)...

Should be a lot of different things to discuss than what's been discussed over the past few pages.

9. Chris1964

Chris1964 SalesEra Genius Member Original Poster

Nintendo started restocking Mario bundle again. Whatever they have produced will be shipped at next 2 weeks.

10. Peace

Peace Banned Member

Ok. First time in the year or did it happens before ?

11. Zedark

Zedark Member

First time since launch

12. NarohDethan

NarohDethan Member

Amazon still has Switch stock, the biggest bomba :S /s

Is 300k possible?

13. MoonFrog

MoonFrog Member

I want big numbers, personally.

14. NarohDethan

NarohDethan Member

How big is big? 400? 500?

15. funtastrophe

funtastrophe Member

I didn't include the DS because I wanted the other systems to feel that they're doing well.

(I'll throw it in eventually, but it'd take longer than the others due to more relevant entries)

I kind of have been assuming that it'll be fairly in line with Wii with not quite as strong a start but a longer tail. No early megahits from an expanded casual audience but a more persistent curve from the LTTP devs that took a little bit extra to kick things into gear. So maybe it stays below the Wii curve until week two hundred something and then crosses over but doesn't really get close to 3DS's EOL. Obviously, I'm being very bullish here.

As for the source: Since most of the data was in a spreadsheet, I opted out of my usual preferred tactic of perl/ruby + mysql/sqlite and did all my wrangling and graphing in LibreOffice. The directory that image is linked from has my workbook in case I drop my laptop down a furnace hole.

edit: With the caveat that it'll likely temporarily cross over with Wii's total, launch-aligned, in a few weeks until Wii has its ridiculous first month and a half of '08.

16. Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612 Member

This year, Week 51 will be particularly big because it ends with Christmas Eve. Depending on the results of tomorow it can be a 300K+ week or a 400k+ one.

17. MoonFrog

MoonFrog Member

IDK. I wasn't in MC at Switch launch. I think Chris was saying to expect closer to 300k than 400k this next reported week? I'd be really happy with close to 400k, content with ~300k.

And it'd be next Wednesday we'd see the best week right?

18. Grads

Grads Member

Pretty much, that's if they ship tons.

19. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

I haven't followed the MC/famitsu numbers every week but from what I recall there hasn't been a single week in which Switch hardware didn't disappoint.

If numbers are supposed to be above 300k, I'd bet it will be 260k. That has happened every "big week" for switch that I can remember.

20. MoonFrog

MoonFrog Member

The thing is I think it is more important to Nintendo to make Switch do better than 3DS in the west than it is to them to compete with 3DS in Japan. I think they want less lopsided towards Japan sales numbers, so Japan isn't getting the supply it should, in a better situation, have.

21. silpheed-mcd

silpheed-mcd Member

Flyhigh Works games on 3ds + Wii U eShop over 1m sales in Japan

22. Hieroph

Hieroph Member

I guess BC also helped. You can play all of Etrian Odyssey on 3DS, even before the Untold versions. Makes the transition easier. Atlus fans tend to stick around late into the gen and their games still do alright at that point, but if the new system is BC, you can buy the late gen release with the new hardware.

23. skittzo0413

skittzo0413 Member

Yeah they seemingly already have Japan in the bag, so they now feel confident that they can put off some shipments from coming there to bring more to the west. I guess if those shipments continue to sell well that's not the worst idea.

Just sucks for Japanese people who are still looking for a Switch.

24. NarohDethan

NarohDethan Member

It seems both Switch colors are now 1st and 2nd place on the Amazon's TV Games Best Sellers

25. djinnEXE

djinnEXE Member

I finally made it to the last page
    Man were these last 10 pages filled with many bad hot takes. Glad it's seemingly calmed down a bit.

Can't wait for tomorrow. New numbers is always exciting. Switch might be up by a lot (finally) and software as well.

I'm just hoping that come january (post holidays) the numbers don't drop way to low.

26. Nintendojitsu

Nintendojitsu Banned Member

Wednesday's thread might get 50+ pages.

27. djinnEXE

djinnEXE Member

MC threads have been getting bigger. Weekly threads now outdo the monthly NPD threads in post count ever since the format changed. And with Nintendo doing better it's also much more interesting to follow.
    The “dark” days are behind us.

28. MoonFrog

MoonFrog Member

Nintendo dug itself into this position over time, starting with the knee-jerk reaction to the failure of the N64 in Japan, where instead of building on SNES like numbers in America and putting out a console that played to N64's strengths, they put out the GCN, scrapped online plans, sold Rare, tried to win exclusivity with Capcom, etc. This just landed them with a weaker position abroad and still as also-rans in Japan and called for them to try and do something different, hence the Wii. It was successful at home and abroad, but also the sort of console Japan needed in the face of the HD twins and HD development. The thing is that the Wii stagnated in its last years and the Wii U was a muddle-headed successor that failed in all markets, leaving Nintendo with just its portable hardware as a success. Portable hardware that also was lopsidedly relevant in Japan by that point.

Basically Nintendo "won" back Japan from Sony, but it puts them in a tough spot as the Japanese market is shrunken and large Japanese companies are variously divested from it as "chasing the west" increasingly means simultaneously ignoring Japanese preferences and as the mobile scene exploded in Japan attracting what efforts were intended to make money off Japan.

So Nintendo needs to both a) try and maintain (or expand) its Japanese market and b) expand again outside of that market and the two feed into eachother. Namely, getting the support to engage Japan increasingly means providing for Switch/PS4 multiplatform but also making the Switch and Japanese games on the Switch a success abroad. So in a sense b comes before a. But a also comes before b in the sense that Switch's most likely support is from Japanese companies and being a hot product in Japan is going to be a distinguishing feature to make it relevant to those companies, as with the DS and 3DS.

They have the hardware and they're off to a good start in hardware sales and at least in the west the installed base seems quite engaged wrt things like indies. They need to build on this success and get success for Japanese 3rd party software to happen both abroad and at home.

And expanding relevance in the west also encourages a) indie support and possibly b) western third party support to supplement or possibly supplant what you'd expect they could get out of Japan too, which is another way out of this but is more banking on unknown appeal imo.

29. So what you're saying it Nintendo needs to carry the weight of all sins for about a year.

30. Man God

Man God Member

MHW at least helped strengthen one Japanese platform.

31. Principate

Principate Member

The quality of discussion hasn't increased I can assure you that. This is coming from someone that longed for more popular media create threads during the dark ages. All shits about to break loose once MHW releases. I'm thinking of avoiding these threads until it blows over because it's going to get silly regardless of what happens.

32. skittzo0413

skittzo0413 Member

That's a pretty succinct explanation, yeah. I agree with all of that. It's an interesting position they're in, and I think the level of global success the Switch has achieved this year is basically the best case scenario for the successful execution of that strategy.

Of course this means that the support from both the West and Japan will be somewhat slow to start but of course we already knew that!

33. I don't see why it would be any worse. We already have endless arguments in these threads about MHW at least this way there will be some actual sales numbers to throw into the mix. No doubt things will get heated but they do already.

34. Principate

Principate Member

Oh it can always get worse it always seems too and I thought the Vita and 3DS discussion on this was annoying way back when.

35. James

James Member

Way past 8. Still in stock.

What does it mean?

36. Why does specifcally Monster Hunter get so much focus in these threads i wonder? ,heck i swear there are more people arguing about the franchise than they are playing the games on this forum XD

37. djinnEXE

djinnEXE Member

I don't see it moving the needle that much. It's still 1 game and it's no Splatoon, Animal Crossing or Pokemon

38. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet Member

it means v2_0 is justified and the Switch is doomed

39. sinonobu

sinonobu Member

It means that there's enough Switch stock and sw numbers will start increasing.

40. 14 million sales hit by next week confirmed.

41. Man God

Man God Member

I meant this thread. It ain't gonna do squat to PS4 beyond the first week or so.

42. DeuceGamer

DeuceGamer Member

Just to make sure I understand, Monday’s are the cutoff date for the weekly charts, right?

43. Dunban

Dunban Member

Switch has finally sold to the core Wii U audience of ~3 million and, as many predicted, fallen off precipitously. Capcom vindicated, Nintendo to go third party and develop exclusively for the Xbox One X confirmed.

Maybe we'll finally get a non-disappointing Switch hw week.

44. djinnEXE

djinnEXE Member

Oh for sure. I see hardware raising only on week 1 and 2

45. Charts are Monday through Sunday.

46. Alrus

Alrus Member

Because it's the biggest third party franchise in Japan.

47. Lyrick

Lyrick Member

Although there's a good probability it won't be for much longer.

48. Famitsu hasn't said anything about 3 million yet, it's over. Pack it up.

49. Man God

Man God Member

Dragon Quest is actually still bigger overall anyways.

50. Blessed Kimishima of Great Fortune, what say you, what do you think the results will be.

[​IMG]

"Over 200,000 units at least."

Thank you blessed Kimishima.