Discussion in 'Sales Threads' started by Chris1964, Dec 13, 2017.
Dragon quest and Monster Hunter are the two biggest third-party IP in Japan and since the DQ boat has sailed, MH is the next final step, that's the reason it gets so much focus recently.
If you're gonna try and spin this as "PS4 AND 3DS WERE ALMOST EVEN" at least just say that when it did actually happen at launch. But like you said, that ship's sailed. 3DS "won".
edit: actually nvm
Switch Version might make up the difference and then some if it is well received.
It is funny that PS4 got the spinoffs but not the remakes. Like they didn't even bother with a collection or anything. Then they kinda snuck one in as a post game reward!
I don't think we need to rehash this again.
There never had been a DQ release like it before, with it coming out on two disparate platforms at launch and being a mainline single-player game.
Estimates of 3DS version that were made far in advance were largely based on IX's release, which was a single version on DS, 3DS's predecessor. This is where (and when) you mostly got most of the ~2 million launch week estimates.
Estimates for PS4 were also largely made with reference to FFXV, suggesting that it outperform that title, at least marginally. This is where you mostly got the "struggle to hit 1 million" estimates as well as the more optimistic ones, which lined up with reality.
There was talk in the weeks leading up about a) how "independent" the sales of the two versions would be, b) if there was a FFXV problem in addition to a PS4 problem, and c) what the state of the 3DS was as the game was being released. I was in those discussions. And I think all of these things did play a role in the difficulty getting the numbers right.
I thought the 3DS version could do better than it did. The PS4 version did about what I expected. I think I was at about 2.5 and 1.5 ltd by the end. Yes my 3DS numbers came down over time from higher numbers, but you know what? The reason they did so was MC threads, yes those things full of terrible Sony haters and Nintendo fanboys :P, which goes to the whole point of this post.
Edit: Heck, by the end there was all that thought about television ads in Japan being about the PS4 version and I think YSO even had PS4 version launching possibly ahead of the 3DS version. There was talk of PS4 consumers being pre-order prone and 3DS having a more pick up the game in store audience. There was talk of PS4 winning launch week but losing LTD. Etc.
People seemingly forgot that DQ XI wasn't multiplayer for the 3DS estimates.
The space fish game is also a recurring theme. A very oddly present mobile game despite our bias towards console.
"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report
Hello all. Sorry this week was really busy. Between work and getting ready for the holidays I only had time to hit 3 stores (and Famicom Dojo, but they don’t sell new hardware). Because of this, the report, which isn’t too useful to begin with, is in fact less useful. I’ll try to do more next week because this is indeed a very exciting time for sales.
Disclaimer: These are my observations and not intended to represent all of Japan or really anything other than my own experiences in a small town in Japan.
Switch Hardware: Sold out
Didn’t go this week
Didn’t go this week
Switch Hardware: Sold out
Didn’t go this week.
No Switch, but they don’t sell new hardware at all anymore.
Didn’t go this week.
Switch Hardware: 0 new. 0 Used.
1. I have still never seen a new switch unit in the wild. I got mine at launch on Amazon and have never see another new unit. However this week I can report that there were Switch units on shelves mid week and that they did not sell out instantly. One of my friends was able to walk into a store and buy one off the shelf with no reservation. More than that, he was tipped off by another friend that they were in stock a day before. So it is possible that this store had them on shelves for consecutive days (or 2 independent shipments close together). By the time I got to stores (Sunday and Monday) they were sold out but if they were in fact on shelves for multiple days before that, or if shipments are indeed coming that fast, it would represent a change. I will try to verify next week. I won’t read too much into it until I see it myself or have more data points.
2. None of the big (or recent) Nintendo titles are supply constrained at those 3 stores. Zelda, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Mario Kart, etc. All in stock. But 2 stores did not have the new Zelda SKU. Also it seems that Xenoblade 2 box sets are sold out because they are going for above retail price online.
3. Xbox One X. No store in my town has them stock. But I can’t confirm if any store had them to begin with. Most stores don’t carry Xbox1 at all. What makes that double weird is some of those stores DO cary 360 games. Odd.
4. Super Famicom Minis in stock. Now if someone would just buy me one…
6. MHW PS4 systems sold out at the 3 stores. I am not sure how many each store had (if they had any at all), but there were none available for purchase.
7. In store displays for MHW are ramping up. Lots of print materials. Video screens. It is probably the game with the most in-store promotion right now (though Pokemon is still getting a lot). I am thinking retailers (especially the game stores) have big expectations for this one.
8. I saw much more in store promotion for Xenoblade X than Xenoblade 2. But I am guessing that is because Nintendo is pushing Mario and Splatoon as the games to buy this holiday for Switch. When XBX came out there was not a lot else that the stores could promote in their WiiU sections. I also have not seen a TV ad for the game, but believe they do exist. I see a lot of general (not game specific) Switch ads.
9. If you have a request for what I should look for, let me know.
That’s all for this week. Hope it was entertaining.
Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2017 (Nov 13 - Nov 19)
Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2017 (Oct 30 - Nov 05)
Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2017 (Oct 16 - Oct 22)
super mario odyssey broke 1m, switch almost 3m
Almost? Well Switch confirmed horseshoe or hand-grenade.
No wonder third parties are confused, the Switch is regularly becoming other objects!
So Famitsu will have ~230k Switch reported tomorrow?
Damn I guess the dream is indeed dead D:
This company man :/
Blessed Kimishima has done it again with the >200k prediction absolutely no one could have said.
Switch not even at 3M. Atlus totally justified with Catherine Vita!
230k is a big meh for week 50 actually..
It ended up being an ''OK'' December for Switch after all.
(OK Of The Forever)
Downplaying 230K in hardware in a post-mobile Japan. lol
I think i missed something.
I think it's been quite a while since we've seen a system sell 230k in a non-launch week. It's definitely a good result.
Of course it could sell more if it wasn't supply constrained, but them's the breaks.
You missed your train to the other world, and Kimishima's putting you on the express.
Japanese 3rds kicking themselves something fierce.
The Men of Yoshiwara by D3Publisher - visual novel
What will be next big thing for JPPS4 after MHW? KH3?
FFVIIR is Ps5 tho.
should be, but they're not.
Anecdotal info was correct, according to Famitsu. Now waiting for Media Create and how different numbers they will have.
I expected 250 so this was an ok result.
I bet MC is higher due to Amazon.