Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris1964

Chris1964
    SalesEra Genius Member OP

230k for week 50 is a big number in Japan period.

Only DS and 3DS have topped this number.

2. Rainrir

Rainrir
    Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account Member

Downplaying 230k is ridiculous.

Are we starting a DOOM train?

3. Sage

Sage

That means over 120 million people didn't buy one this week. Pretty much a bomb, really.

4. Nintendojitsu

Nintendojitsu
    Banned Member

For the record, I wasn't downplaying the 230K.
    [​IMG]
    Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule

5. Hero

Hero

Fantastic results. I honestly did not see SMO being the 2nd Nintendo Switch game to hit a million, I figured it was going to be MK8D.

6. Sander VF

Sander VF

Does it run over demons?

7. Jonno394

Jonno394

Good week. Switch will likely be ~300k in wk 51 then, which means it'll outsell the Wii u before end of 2017!

Great year (10 months)

8. Famitsu based on calculations:

Super Mario Odyssey - 110.085
    Switch HW - 230.259

9. Menx64

Menx64

So Splatoon must be above 110K I guess. Maybe even MK8D... I hope Xeno bounce back a bit, same with Arms.

10. KCS

KCS

During its first December in Japan, I'm pretty sure PS4 sold around 200k total based on what I could find (this includes 4 days of January 2015 as well), so less than Switch did in just this one week. People have short memories.

11. LOCK

LOCK

That's like a 40% increase for Mario. I hope all software had similar or better increases. I don't want software to fall behind.

12. Elfteiroh

Elfteiroh

Thank you again for this! :D
    It's okay, you don't have to stress over it. Do them when you have time, we love them, but nobody will die if they are too thin. :)

Oh! So the Otome games are starting to Switch console! I have a friend that will be happy. He love those. :3

13. Aostia82

Aostia82

Wow at Odyssey

14. Lwill

Lwill

“Meh” and “Ok” compared to what? WW, the Switch will likely be around 12 million worldwide by the end of the year, with it selling over a million in Japan for December alone.

Your info was on the head with the Famitsu numbers. I would guess that Media Create would be lower, though.

15. Piston

Piston

Pshhh only 230k. I could do that number in my sleep.

12 million shipped would put Nintendo behind their projected forecast for this year. They would have to ship some 4+ million in Q1 2018. I think they will be closer to 13-13.5 million shipped. Shipped also takes into account units in transit.

16. Probably Mario Odyssey Switch bundle's doing.

17. sfortunato

sfortunato

Never underestimate Mario under holidays.

Last year we had Super Mario Maker which sold 300k+ in Week 51.

18. Dunban

Dunban

What it could have sold, presumably.

I don't think he was downplaying it vis a vis other hardware, but relative to the Switch itself in a more ideal world.

19. silpheed-mcd

silpheed-mcd

Famitsu: Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} – 1.055.806 + 63.538 digital = 1.119.344

[​IMG]

Last week:
    Famitsu: Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} – 945.721 + 63.538 digital = 1.009.259
    M-C: Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) (2017.10.27) - 949.470
    Dengeki: Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} – 935,920

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2115946/

20. Lwill

Lwill

You’re right. I meant well over 12 million.

21. Kinger256

Kinger256

It's quite remarkable how you're able to construct weird and irrelevant groups such as the Xbox One, Wii U and Vita then promptly compare without even any consideration to what my original point was. Like how are they even related? A console that's only 4 years in it's lifespan? Two of the greatest failures in gaming?

I'm not saying it sold more or less then this, or that the number isn't sizable. I'm saying that relative to Japan, interest in Nintendo's handhelds have gone down in the west, and that you can't argue that. There's cold hard stats backing me.

I never said anything about standards what it should have sold...

22. Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert

Great numbers. And that while still being supply constrained is quite huge for Switch. downplaying this makes no sense.

I'm glad we now have the proof that 2d linear Mario games don't have the monopoly of huge sales.

Switch won't catch up with 3DS this year it seems because of 3DS ridiculously huge first holidays but it probably will regain some ground in q1. This assumption is offered to you directly from my ass though.

23. CeroMiedo

CeroMiedo

lol somehow looking at this report proved your words even more

24. [​IMG]

25. Elfteiroh

Elfteiroh

I love these alternate Simpsons subtitles gifs. :3

26. sfortunato

sfortunato

I guess Falcom is betting on the right horse (PS4) given how much they sell domestically versus worldwide.

27. Marukoban

Marukoban

Is this talking about this year only or on average?
    Sen3 being released last financial year probably skews this ratio a bit in favor of Japan. That and there were no notable Asian release last year I believe.

28. Chris1964

Chris1964

I don't think Media Create will be very far from Famitsu this week.
    ___

There are Switch restocks everyday and everywhere. 300k+ for next week are sure now.

29. Terranigma

Terranigma

They were also ALOT cheaper to buy, which makes their potential market larger. Switch has yet to have its big pricecut.
    Which won't happen until demand died down enough to make it worth for Nintendo.

30. Joseki

Joseki

200+k last week, probably 300+k this week. DS and Wii move over.

31. Chris1964

Chris1964

Nintendo has left the system without a big title since October, it has high price comparing to previous Nintendo systems and still sells out. I don't think some realize what Switch has achieved in Japan.

32. Well I mean, I consider Xenoblade 2 to be a decent tentpole.

33. NiteJohn

NiteJohn

You know, this kinda give me prospective. It also make more curious about how much the Switch LTD will be. The demand seem to be either close to or at the max the Japan can provide. At least with the games that are out now. AC and Pokemon might cause another shortage, especially AC.

34. Chris1964

Chris1964

Switch LTD is a big mystery because it depends on how far Nintendo will go with revisions. 20m is the bare minimum for generation leaders.

Software wise it will have no problem to clear 3DS.

35. FireFistAce

FireFistAce

Well according to Vinnk, it seems that the Switch was not sold out this week.

36. FireFistAce

FireFistAce

Context. You’re comparing a home console with a hybrid.

37. Oregano

Oregano

Yes but remember they self publish in Japan and rely on other companies for overseas release. A copy sold in Japan is worth more to them than a copy sold elsewhere.

38. So we're probably looking at close to 600K in 2 weeks, that would be something else. That's whilst being at a high price and with most of its biggest SW still to come.

Hopefully all switch SW sees big boosts in the next 2 weeks. That's what I'm most excited to see.

39. Zedark

Zedark

I don't think that's what he said. He said that someone saw a Switch on shelves on two different days, which is quite possible since there have been restocks every single day this week. He also mentions that all units were gone when he checked, so that tells you that it really is sold out. Lotteries still persist, for example.

40. Aostia82

Aostia82

Wait so next week numbers will be higher than today's ones?

41. silpheed-mcd

silpheed-mcd

Yes.

42. Aostia82

Aostia82

Gosh
    So I would say that these famitsu numbers are simply great

43. Marukoban

Marukoban

I won't dispute that Falcom being only on PS4 is a long term obstacle for their financial growth, unless somehow they can be much more efficient and churns out more games at faster rate.
    I would just like to make sure the number is put in proper context.
    I guess the split is also probably in terms of revenue, so it would be impossible to draw any conclusion from that answer, since income from licensing is much lower than self publishing.

Maybe the only takeaway here is Asia is probably still bigger market than west for Falcom.
    With no notable releases the revenue generated from the market can still match those generated from Cold Steel 1 PC, Sky 3rd, Tokyo Xanadu PSV and Ys VIII PS4 and PSV

44. FireFistAce

FireFistAce

I think the 3DS went up to approx 0.5M in week 51 2011.

45. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD
    Banned Member

They want 14m in ONE YEAR, not in THIS YEAR.

Said year ends on March 3.

46. Pooroomoo

Pooroomoo

The 3DS at that point also cost far, far less than the Switch.

47. 230K Switch is very good, but can we talk about 110K Odyssey? This game is a monster.
    With digital sales and still 2 weeks to go, we are looking at ~1.5 million in 2017 alone.

3 million lifetime isn't a dream after all.

This is not correct.

48. jariw

jariw

And the storage volume required for a 3DS is probably one third or forth of a Switch.

49. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD
    Banned Member

Xenoblade isn't big? Or Skyrim?

Don't act like people only care about Mario and Zelda.

50. Marukoban

Marukoban

Actually you are wrong.
    They want 14m this year, not one year since launch.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171030e.pdf
    Look at last page. 14m is for Apr 2017 to March 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.