• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Famitsu Week 6, 2018 (Feb 05 - Feb 11):

[NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 20.451 / 2.016.182

NSW: 43.522 / 3.766.244

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
How is stock getting better but numbers keep staying the same or going down every week
5591.jpg

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stock is currently give or take 1 in: 1 out or thereabouts. So we are watching it sell on the basis of 'because it exists' for the past month and a half.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It can't remain sold out forever. It has already been supply constrained longer than any console I know of. Yes even more than the DS lite. We are at nearly a year now, that's insanity. I still think it can be called supply constrained but we are at a point now where if you are willing to call around before you go shopping, you can get one....

A least until golden week...

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demand is dropping, as expected by the lack of meaningful software sans Kirby in Q1.

Still healthy, but nothing amazing or ground breaking. Let's see if Labo can help interest in the console pick up.

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like every week we see anecdotal evidence that there's a huge Switch restock, but then the numbers don't show that it's out of the ordinary and the system still sells out.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Demand is dropping, as expected by the lack of meaningful software sans Kirby in Q1.

Still healthy, but nothing amazing or ground breaking. Let's see if Labo can help interested in the console pick up.

That might be underselling it a bit. I mean it still is selling all they ship. The difference is that people no longer need to line up for it. These things aren't sitting for weeks on the shelves or anything like that and places are still selling out.

But yes, supply is catching up to the current (February) demand.

It's definitely not available in every shop, but if you look around you can usually find one now, so it's an improvement.
It's still not an ideal situation yet though, where you should be able to just walk into any shop and buy one, and this was addressed by Kimishima in the last investor meeting.

Also this.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone who lives in Japan confirm if the situation is really like this?
It's definitely not available in every shop, but if you look around you can usually find one now, so it's an improvement.
It's still not an ideal situation yet though, where you should be able to just walk into any shop and buy one, and this was addressed by Kimishima in the last investor meeting.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like every week we see anecdotal evidence that there's a huge Switch restock, but then the numbers don't show that it's out of the ordinary and the system still sells out.

Its not large restocks across the nation, its just weekly because we sell through everything for a given week, basically so long as we have weekly restocks it means we sold through the weekly shipment. We're past the "day to day" sell through and 20k supply starved weeks that plagued the majority of last year. We're basically operating on a 'par' of supply vs. sales for a given week or thereabouts. Nintendo's not shipping massive amounts because, from the looks of it, they still can't and for now they really don't need to as there's no major releases until March.

With Kirby coming in with a likely very strong opening, they'll want stock available as March in general gets busy with DQB right off the bat.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody talked for huge restocks. There are continued shipments that get sold and replenished. Supply isn't plentiful yet but there isn't shortage and things improve week after week.

Just at previous page you see sell out signs at a store.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Its not large restocks across the nation, its just weekly because we sell through everything for a given week, basically so long as we have weekly restocks it means we sold through the weekly shipment. We're past the "day to day" sell through and 20k supply starved weeks that plagued the majority of last year. We're basically operating on a 'par' of supply vs. sales for a given week or thereabouts. Nintendo's not shipping massive amounts because, from the looks of it, they still can't and for now they really don't need to as there's no major releases until March.

With Kirby coming in with a likely very strong opening, they'll want stock available as March in general gets busy with DQB right off the bat.

I am personally looking forward to both of those titles, and think they will sell well, but I don't think they will move a great amount of hardware. I can't think that there are people on the fence about getting a Switch and Kirby or DQ builders is going to push them over. There will also be a few people who jump in for Bayonetta but I wouldn't expect any kind of Spike.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Thanks for the update!

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
The stores I sometimes go to in Osaka, the small Bic Camera in Abeno seems to only keep getting stock for orders on Saturday's, though that shop also had the PS4 completely sold out when I went there 2 days ago, and the Tsutaya seems to have a good stock of Switches, including used ones.
As I've said before in this thread, the Tsutaya droped used Switch prices by 2000 yen, before they were selling them for the same price as new ones. Don't know if it's a country wide thing.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Switch hardware will likely be pushed by the overall software available now, but there won't be one single title that'll push it hard.
The upcoming releases are pretty good for existing owners (at least I'm quite happy with it), but Nintendo hasn't really announced anything big for 2018 yet.

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear at this point that everybody has vastly overblown expectations for the switch in Japan based off November/December. I'm one of them. Sub 50k seems to be the new standard.
Stock still isn't vastly better than the worst droughts, but yes right now we're in a lull in terms of larger titles till March 'till Kirby and a Splatoon 2 rerelease.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Stock still isn't vastly better than the worst droughts, but yes right now we're in a lull in terms of larger titles till March 'till Kirby and a Splatoon 2 rerelease.
No lotteries, plenty of shops where you can go, enter and buy, or just place a order and get it the next time stock comes, I'd say it's vastly better.
There are no 'piles of consoles', but it's not hard to get one anymore.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I agree but Nintendo doesn't appear to have any intentions to be shipping higher amounts currently.
What did the vast majority of people believe?

Higher than what it's currently selling. Feel free to prove me wrong

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No lotteries, plenty of shops where you can go, enter and buy, or just place a order and get it the next time stock comes, I'd say it's vastly better.

Place a order and get it later when stock comes......still sounds like shortages for me.

Sure it is better vs that Nov and Dec period. But it is still not optimal yet.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Place a order and get it later when stock comes......still sounds like shortages for me.

Sure it is better vs that Nov and Dec period. But it is still not optimal yet.
Considering that all throughout 2017 you couldn't place an order and would have to be selected to have tha privilege of buying one, yeah, it's much better.
For instance, I can order one from amazon and get it tomorrow. Something almost impossible outside of overpriced packs in 2017.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch lineup is pathetic for 2018 so far. They need to start announcing shit.
It's February.

Barring last year, when has Nintendo ever announced their full lineup in the first two months if the year? Hell, most years, they're still padding the lineup out with new announcements until October.

I've seen plenty 5-6M to be honest.

If they drop Smash Brothers and Pokemon, they'll easily hit that. I still think Animal Crossing hits this year too, to coincide with their paid online service. A 1-2 punch of AC and Smash gets everyone (hardcore and casuals) on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.