• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not. Compare with other years (for example the 3DS's first year) and come back.
Yes, it is. Why would you compare it with other years or 3DS? Especially when it is a higher price than 3DS was........ That makes absolutely no sense........You have to look at the sales of a product for what it is in the time period that its released in.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
No, it's not. Compare with other years (for example the 3DS's first year) and come back.

3DS first December was the highest December ever for a platform. It wasn't supply constrained.

260k looks real huge for mario on 320k hw

260k for mario + mk8 maybe

Never underestimate Mario under holidays.

Last year, Super Mario Maker 3DS did 315k in Week 51 (its debut week for around 160k).

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Compare the price of the 2 and come back. Compare the difficulty of acquiring the parts for the Switch compared to the 3DS and come back. Compare the difference with 3DS being a handheld and Switch being a hybrid and come back. Compare 2017 to 2011 with regards to how mobile gaming has changed the landscape of gaming and come back.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Those are official numbers ? Less than 300k ? That lowest than expected.
No, the official Media Create numbers will arrive in 45-50 minutes.

Yes, it is. Why would you compare it with other years or 3DS? That makes absolutely no sense........You have to look at the sales of a product for what it is in the time period that its released in.
Because historical context is important. There's only one week before Christmas every year. Of course sales should be higher in December than in for example August. The only reference we have is other Week 51s, i.e. previous years. Why would you compare it with the first year of the 3DS? Because that's also the first holiday of a Nintendo system that released around the same time of the year. Because the 3DS was supposed to be the next big thing for Japan at the time too.

Stealth

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Compare the price of the 2 and come back. Compare the difficulty of acquiring the parts for the Switch compared to the 3DS and come back. Compare the difference with 3DS being a handheld and Switch being a hybrid and come back. Compare 2017 to 2011 with regards to how mobile gaming has changed the landscape of gaming and come back.
Exactly

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it that hard to wait until the data releases to make all those judgements?
yes

3DS first December was the highest December ever for a platform. It wasn't supply constrained.

Never underestimate Mario under holidays.

Last year, Super Mario Maker 3DS did 315k in Week 51 (its debut week for around 160k).
SMM was at 700k while odyssey is over a million, smm also launched much later and has a bigger userbase to sell from, all these things affect how odyssey can top out at

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is it that hard to wait until the data releases to make all those judgements?
people need their unhealthy dose of hate and arguing

compared to what? they are capping sales. been doing it for 9 months straight...trying to brush that off cause its not making the same other consoles that were not supply constrained is just looking for an excuse to undertalk it success.

Because historical context is important.
say the guy overseeing all the context other than the final sales number. prices, era, competition, stock, awareness, etc etc etc

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I never said 2011 was the only year to compare with. It's true that Week 51, 2011 was an amazing year, but we've seen comparisons with other years too (here's the list by Chris1964). The Switch is as expensive as a home console, like the Wii, which moved 279k units in 2006, but the Switch also is portable and (contrary to any older device since the SNES) the only flagship product Nintendo has on the market. That means that it has higher priority for Nintendo to get this thing into consumer's hands as previous devices. The stakes are higher. Since the Switch is supply constrained in Japan (not anymore in the US and Europe), it means the number we'll see today is 100% Nintendo's own responsibility. Noone else can be blamed. I think it's important to grow the install base to a level where the Switch is a no-brainer for Japanese developers, because that'll have a big effect on the western library of the system too.

Lack of serious competition on the hardware front doesn't mean Nintendo can relax, because there's still the software front that needs a boost. The supply problem in North America and Europe was solved in November. It's been 3 weeks now; it's about time they give Japan some more weight. I'll be happy with the rumoured 320k, but it's just a real shame that it isn't higher.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is. Why would you compare it with other years or 3DS? Especially when it is a higher price than 3DS was........ That makes absolutely no sense........You have to look at the sales of a product for what it is in the time period that its released in.

In a vacuum of course they are good numbers, but in context they are most definitely disappointing. If the console wasn't selling out then yeah, 260k would be a good number for such an expensive console, but it does sell out instantly still which means they could have sold quite a bit more than that if the supply was there, which is 100% a missed opportunity.

So yeah, it's a disappointment in the supply chain. If the number is 260k of course.

Stealth

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a vacuum of course they are good numbers, but in context they are most definitely disappointing. If the console wasn't selling out then yeah, 260k would be a good number for such an expensive console, but it does sell out instantly still which means they could have sold quite a bit more than that if the supply was there, which is 100% a missed opportunity.

So yeah, it's a disappointment in the supply chain. If the number is 260k of course.
But comparing it to DS or 3DS or any past system is not comparing it in context............Different time, different price, different stock levels.

For the Japanese games market in 2017 260k in a week is absolutely massive, its actually insane.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But comparing it to DS or 3DS is not comparing it in context............Different time, different price, different stock levels.

I'm not even specifically talking about comparing it to those. This is the highest demand will be this whole year, and if they can only manage ~30% more stock than they shipped last week that would honestly be disappointing to me, when we know the number they could have sold is much, much higher.

We might be looking at less than 1M for the whole month, when it's likely they could have sold close to 2M if they had the stock. It's not gonna do any long term harm or anything, but it's disappointing for consumers who can't find a Switch and it's disappointing for publishers (what few there are) who want a bigger install base to buy more games around the holidays.

But hopefully the number is 320k, which would be better. Still obviously they could have sold more (true for any week really) but it would be a nicely sized increase to capitalize on the holiday demand.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm not even specifically talking about comparing it to those. This is the highest demand will be this whole year, and if they can only manage ~30% more stock than they shipped last week that would honestly be disappointing to me, when we know the number they could have sold is much, much higher.

We might be looking at less than 1M for the whole month, when it's likely they could have sold close to 2M if they had the stock. It's not gonna do any long term harm or anything, but it's disappointing for consumers who can't find a Switch and it's disappointing for publishers (what few there are) who want a bigger install base to buy more games around the holidays.
And software publishers. Basically anyone involved with the Switch.

Stealth

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But hopefully the number is 320k, which would be better. Still obviously they could have sold more (true for any week really) but it would be a nicely sized increase to capitalize on the holiday demand.

No publisher seems disappointed with Switch's install base...........Its fine if its disappointing to you, I would love 10 million billion sales in 3 hours as well, but people really need a dose of reality in this thread sometimes.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
No publisher seems disappointed with Switch's install base...........Its fine if its disappointing to you, I would love 10 million billion sales in 3 hours as well, but people really need a dose of reality in this thread sometimes.

Like I said it's not that bad, it's just disappointing because we know it could've been better had Nintendo been more prepared. Publishers know this too. It's just a missed opportunity.

Again all of this assuming it's as low as the leaker seems to indicate.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Call EA.
But seriously tho, we'll have Atelier numbers today and that'll be a good measure I think for the current state of the Switch for most developers that are affected by the decline of the Vita and the lack of a successor. Internationally, I totally agree with you. But within Japan, it's not where we want to see the Switch yet, and especially when you take to mind that December usually is the biggest month of the year for Nintendo, while Q1 are dry months.

Actually it's 320K Switches and 260K PS4. /s
The second shipment of Monster Hunter World PS4 Pros. xD

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Call EA.
But seriously tho, we'll have Atelier numbers today and that'll be a good measure I think for the current state of the Switch for most developers that are affected by the decline of the Vita and the lack of a successor. Internationally, I totally agree with you. But within Japan, it's not where we want to see the Switch yet, and especially when you take to mind that December usually is the biggest month of the year for Nintendo, while Q1 are dry months.
While it's better than nothing, I wouldn't call such a declining series a good indication of anything besides its decline.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why people keep expecting the Switch to sell that much in Japan. Isn't it tracking to sell about 800k to 1m in december alone? That's pretty impressive, isn't it? Is the japanese console market that healthy that you can expect a 299 console to sell as much or even more than a cheaper portable?

Even if it isn't supply constrained, I think those numbers are pretty great. The Switch is beating the Wii U with less than 1 year in the market, I guess that's good enough.

Stealth

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atelier on Switch will not be a good indicator of anything. This is the first main Atelier game EVER on a Nintendo platform. It is just the beginning.......Again, we will have to wait for the actual numbers, but 260k, supply constrained is a good result in Japan, even in December.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Well at the very least you can expect some crazy SW numbers from the evergreens.

And I'm hoping for PS4 to cross 100k, I think it can do it.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Atelier on Switch will not be a good indicator of anything. This is the first main Atelier game EVER on a Nintendo platform. It is just the beginning.......Again, we will have to wait for the actual numbers, but 260k, supply constrained is a good result in Japan, even in December.
There will be a lot of games and series on Switch that in previous generations would stay PS exclusive. It's hard to use as an excuse. That's just the problem those developers are facing. While those developers are of course the one's to blame for their own mistakes (whether they could be prevented or not), the current hardware situation doesn't help at all.

And while Atelier may be a declining series, I meant to say that we can compare sales on Switch with sales on PS4 and especially Vita to get a better view of the Switch's current situation for used-to-be-PS-exclusive games.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No it's not

91yKa1FUJxL._SX425_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.