• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, gotcha, but not what I meant.

My point was that literally all previous main Dragon Quest releases were planned and released on already proven winning systems. Actually to the point that they often waited too long and released the first DQ a the system after it had peaked, often even after the successor console is out (eg DQ7 for PS1 after PS2 was out, DQ10 for Wii after it had faded out, and last year DQ11 on 3DS well after its peak because Switch was out and dominating).

So planning a game for PS4 before it was even out was unprecedented, and given how badly PS3 limped along to fourth place in Japan, the only explaination I can think of is it originally started as a Wii U game, but then as Wii U proved a flop they moved it to PS4? PS4 sales have been propped up by releases like DQ instead of getting them because it was already successful (and potential western sales of course, but that makes no sense for Japan-focused series and titles).

I guess PS4 was kind of lucky to be released at the right time, PS3 was very old and had only ever sold bad to medicore over a long period of time, but had become the 'default' home console at the end due to Wii fading away years ago and Wii U tanking. PS4 was released into a 3DS dominated market as the only 'better than PSP/3DS' graphics machine with even a chance at viability, so if you were starting a project it was there, PC, mobile or nowhere.
I understand. Its true that it was something out of the ordinary in that regards, indeed.

I have seen it. That's what makes PS4 hardware sales seem so pathetic. It should be sweeping up the competition. With the AAA titles it has already received and those yet to come it should be unstoppable. PS4 has the absolute biggest of the 3rd party titles. FF, Metal Gear, MH, DQ, KH, literally every big 3rd party title. There is no way the Switch should be steamrolling it.
While true, the Switch has some of the biggest games in the industry as well. I think its only us who really care about if a game is 1st or 3rd party in terms of sales. When it comes to buying the games, i dont think many care about if its 1st or 3rd party.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I am of the opinion that the market is declining in part due to the heavy focus in making games for the west rather than Japan. There are exceptions where growth can be seen, but many franchises have fallen because of the dream of making it big in the west.

I also believe that this is a short term win, making games for overseas, eventually it will come back to bite us.
Of course you matter, but in the bigger picture you also don't matter.
Would I be right in saying a huge factor in the decline of the market from the halcyon days of the PS2, PSP, DS etc is the rise in mobile gaming? I wasn't a member on the old forum but I remember I used to read regular updates by one of the mods on mobile revenue in Japan and it was huge.

One of Sony's mobile companies brought in something like $1.8BN in revenue from just a single game last year. That's huge.

Oct 25, 2017
While true, the Switch has some of the biggest games in the industry as well. I think its only us who really care about if a game is 1st or 3rd party in terms of sales. When it comes to buying the games, i dont think many care about if its 1st or 3rd party.
Taking out the distinction between 1st party and 3rd party isn't really related to the argument that the support in general for the PS4 has not helped its momentum in Japan at all. Switch has some of the biggest games of the industry, PS4 has all the others.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
This has seen an incredible decline. It would be incredibly risky for bigger productions not to consider the west when developing titles.

Would Final Fantasy even be able to exist? Resident Evil?

Great benefit of not trying too hard to win the west is not needing to make risky big productions.

FF and Bio would definitely exist, FF would likely be less ARPG and Bio would likely not as graphically impressive. And 7 probably wouldn't exist.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
"For the west" was an early rallying cry to rationalize PS4 support and counteracting the declining national market. Then Switch came along and showed you can instead serve both.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
User Banned (1 Week) - Continued History of Trolling & Console Warring
Of course it's "baka gaijin" fault why JP video game console market is on decline :)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo as a publisher proves that appealing to both markets simultaneously is possible and that you can both create hit new IPs and revitalise brands in Japan.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
I am of the opinion that the market is declining in part due to the heavy focus in making games for the west rather than Japan. There are exceptions where growth can be seen, but many franchises have fallen because of the dream of making it big in the west.

I also believe that this is a short term win, making games for overseas, eventually it will come back to bite us.

Right on the money, we seen it before as well. With the early HD era, where Japanese companies tried catering towards western output on the HD Twins, and it backfired to a degree. Thankfully the PSP and DS existed for the traditional landscape for the market. Hopefully companies like Platinum games that do get how to mix both styles don't get caught in eventual decline.

I just wish companies like Square-Enix would remember how to make mid tier titles again themselves. It can prove to be very healthy for the market and the titles seem to be more focused on what Japanese market would want, having titles that are designed around reaching 200,000-500,000 in Japan that have budget accordingly. (Similar to Octopath Traveler).

If a title has love and care put into it, it will also sell in the west, without needing to pander to the west.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Downlplaying Japan because PSs collapse there, but constantly posting in MediaCreate threads...

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Considering the global market doesn't mean developers are somehow forsaking Japan or anything like that.
Designing a game with a different hook/appeal to attempt to expand your audience to different tastes is exactly that
But isn't that what's already happened in Japan? Much of the past success has moved from consoles to mobile phone gaming. The climate in Japan has changed and there are other options for Japanese beyond traditional consoles to suit their needs. Hence why it's so important japanese developers and publishers find success WW and not just domestically.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
Downlplaying Japan because PSs collapse there, but constantly posting in MediaCreate threads...

You will be amazed, I know people who don't even play Japanese games that post in Japanese related Sales Thread going rah rah my console is doing great, or Rah rah, domination!

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
This generation, a lot of japanese games (Persona 5, Bloodborne, Monster Hunter: World, Yakuza 0, Nier: Automata, Nioh, ...) have had worlwide successes, thanks to the PlayStation 4. I think these publishers are happy and will continue to support Sony's console. As a consumer, I would be happy if good games do well everywhere.
It's not just 'thanks to the PlayStation 4' there's a homogenous x86 multiplatform market. MHW, Nier, Dark Souls etc are on Xbone and in some cases PC as well, and all platforms in that ecosystem benefit from their similarity to each other.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but if they continue to be more and more western tech and western style it would essentially just make their studios western devs that outsource the grunt work to Japan. Might be a nice industry for them but would lose local flair.

That's the rub with that argument. It's arguing that games need to homogenize towards a particular market. It's always silly.
That's not actually what homogenity means, but...

Lots of games 'homogenize' toward the US market (eg most shooters). Do you criticise COD/AC/Just Cause/Battlefield for not taking asian tastes into account? Can't games be made with Japanese tastes in mind too, with other markets as secondary?

Of course you matter but we live in a global market and in this era of a declining Japanese console market, publishers must look at the bigger picture.
The global dedicated console market declined too you know... Last generation over 500 million consoles and ~5 billion games were sold. The industry basically halved, and now chases whales with loot boxes (or moved to mobile or PC). The ONLY one that did better than its predecessor is PS4 over PS3, all the rest were down, and even just Sony as a whole is down because PS4+Vita won't match PS3+PSP.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Great benefit of not trying too hard to win the west is not needing to make risky big productions.

FF and Bio would definitely exist, FF would likely be less ARPG and Bio would likely not as graphically impressive. And 7 probably wouldn't exist.

As if high quality productions haven't historically been popular in Japan as well? What does a Resident Evil game look like that can't bet on over 500k sales? A Final Fantasy that at best can scrape by with a million at best? Not like anything we've seen for the last twenty years. They would be unrecognizable.

I'm also not convinced that, you know, many Japanese people don't prefer ARPGs. Though they're probably more open to command based games, sure.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should build a wall.
Of course it's "baka gaijin" fault why JP video game console market is on decline :)

giphy.gif

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
NSW even won't surpass 3DS there. So it's not only about PS4.

Plus, in terms of SW sales PS4 are not so behind of Switch. Some people here like to ignore this fact, though I'm not surprised.

lzIoXqC.jpg

And before you'll start counting HW sales, let's remind you that active audience on Switch is already the same as on PS4, if not bigger, because PS4 is 5 years old console, so not all who purchased this console a few years ago still using it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Plus, in terms of SW sales PS4 are not so behind of Switch. Some people here like to ignore this fact, though I'm not surprised.

lzIoXqC.jpg

And before you'll start counting HW sales, let's remind you that active audience on Switch is already the same as on PS4, if not bigger, because PS4 is 5 years old console, so not all who purchased this console a few years ago still using it.
Look at Fiscal Year. The gap's only going to grow too.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People choose to ignore this. I wonder why...
there's a definite difference in design between Nintendo and everyone else. Nintendo's more "disney-esque", I would say. all ages and appeals to everyone regardless of culture. there aren't many other studios that attempt this, and many of the PS4's supporters don't go for this, regardless of them aiming for the west or the east.

there's more going on here, but the differences in design philosophy probably also explains why Nintendo dominates their own system's market so much

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Would I be right in saying a huge factor in the decline of the market from the halcyon days of the PS2, PSP, DS etc is the rise in mobile gaming? I wasn't a member on the old forum but I remember I used to read regular updates by one of the mods on mobile revenue in Japan and it was huge.

One of Sony's mobile companies brought in something like $1.8BN in revenue from just a single game last year. That's huge.

That's why I said in part, certainly the addition of mobile has contributed to the decline, however at the same time, games that appeal have shown to sell just as good as they did in the 90's and 00's, and in some cases better.

Nintendo as a publisher proves that appealing to both markets simultaneously is possible and that you can both create hit new IPs and revitalise brands in Japan.

This 100%

I don't know if I'd go that far, but if they continue to be more and more western tech and western style it would essentially just make their studios western devs that outsource the grunt work to Japan. Might be a nice industry for them but would lose local flair.

If you have coding skills but no interest in making console games, might be best for future generations to work on something else, like apps, databases, web development or smartphone games. I am mostly convinced that people enter the the field because they were inspired.

Sorry, I'm going to go to sleep, it's past 1.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
People choose to ignore this. I wonder why...
What do you suggest happens then? Sony and MS style their games similar to Nintendo in an attempt to appeal to all? I personally think that would be extremely risky especially for Sony who are seeing huge global success. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to style their games differently to appeal to the audiences they don't currently capture. Nintendo and Sony are on different paths, but both successful ones in their own right.

With the increasing popularity of Western games in Japan I don't think anyone is going to drastically change their ways.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I've no doubt in my mind that PS5 will have the same level of 3rd party support as the PS4, so basically phenomenal. But Sony( and 3rd parties) need to make sure that the biggest games like Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Persona, big new IP's etc. release as soon as possible on PS5 to make the transition from PS4 smooth and painless. Final Fantasy XVI, Monster Hunter World 2, Project Awakening, that big new IP from Square, Resident Evil 3 Remake... I'm already hyped as fuck!

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just 'thanks to the PlayStation 4' there's a homogenous x86 multiplatform market. MHW, Nier, Dark Souls etc are on Xbone and in some cases PC as well, and all platforms in that ecosystem benefit from their similarity to each other.

That's not actually what homogenity means, but...

Lots of games 'homogenize' toward the US market (eg most shooters). Do you criticise COD/AC/Just Cause/Battlefield for not taking asian tastes into account? Can't games be made with Japanese tastes in mind too, with other markets as secondary?

The global dedicated console market declined too you know... Last generation over 500 million consoles and ~5 billion games were sold. The industry basically halved, and now chases whales with loot boxes (or moved to mobile or PC). The ONLY one that did better than its predecessor is PS4 over PS3, all the rest were down, and even just Sony as a whole is down because PS4+Vita won't match PS3+PSP.

If you concentrate solely on hw units sold sure. If we talk about revenue gaming division is smashing records pretty much every year. PS4 alone generates more revenue than PS3 and PSP did combined. Last FY Sonys Gaming Division generated more revenue than Nintendo during peak Wii/DS era and this FY is going to be even bigger. Even if we talk about sw sales PS4 alone will probably move more sw than PS3 and PSP combined (it should be hitting about 1 billion sw units any week now). So hw sales are pretty much only metric where PS4 (and Vita) are down compared to last gen.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I've no doubt in my mind that PS5 will have the same level of 3rd party support as the PS4, so basically phenomenal. But Sony( and 3rd parties) need to make sure that the biggest games like Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Persona, big new IP's etc. release as soon as possible on PS5 to make the transition from PS4 smooth and painless. Final Fantasy XVI, Monster Hunter World 2, Project Awakening, that big new IP from Square, Resident Evil 3 Remake... I'm already hyped as fuck!

I wouldn't get your hopes up. There is little evidence Japanese 3rd parties are all of a sudden going to be on the ball with a quick transition to PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you telling me with like 4x the releases and a Monster Hunter game, it's still not outpacing Switch in software totals for calendar year 2018? If only I hadn't built that wall you said to build, I would've seen this coming.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
The only legitimate discussion when comparing PS4 to Switch is Japanese 3rd party support. Hardware or overall software is just not comparable.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the best sellers across all platforms the vast majority would be Nintendo/TPC games.

To justify the lack of third party support you need to point to third party software underperforming, not first party software overperforming.

You can't really look at what third parties have released on Switch and argue they should be up there with Nintendo's results.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018

In terms of revenue the Switch is already way above the 3DS.

And in terms of units sold, wait for the first price cut of the Switch with the first revision and then judge that. The difference in cost between 3DS and Switch at this point is monstrous. Especially if Nintendo decides to offer cheaper Switch models like they did with 2DS to 3DS.

Oct 25, 2017
What do you suggest happens then? Sony and MS style their games similar to Nintendo in an attempt to appeal to all?
I would say the statement there was not meant for the other two to copy Nintendo's design and product method, but to demonstrate that a Japanese publisher like Nintendo can appeal to both worldwide and national sensibilities at the same time, and still have success in both markets. Striking a balance with what sort of game can cater to both at once. Which isn't to say other Japanese companies haven't also acheived this, but it's to say focusing worldwide first, local second doesn't have to be the way it goes.

Granted, Nintendo is a huge player and has complete control of their branding on their side, but the philosophy is sound.

There have also been games that still get a majority of their sales outside Japan despite the games being VERY japanese in quirks (NIS is a prime example for recent products).

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda sad to see the 3DS go down with a few ports to end it's life. But it had a good run after a rough start. You entirely confident in no swan song release for the 3DS? or Kirby is just that..
Another one swan song for 3DS? It has lasted more than DS and Nintendo has already delayed its end too much.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I would say the statement there was not meant for the other two to copy Nintendo's design and product method, but to demonstrate that a Japanese publisher like Nintendo can appeal to both worldwide and national sensibilities at the same time, and still have success in both markets. Striking a balance with what sort of game can cater to both at once. Which isn't to say other Japanese companies haven't also acheived this, but it's to say focusing worldwide first, local second doesn't have to be the way it goes.
I find it very impressive what Nintendo have done. It's not easy to impress both in Japan and the west and on such a consistent basis. Not many have pulled this off. Maybe Capcom and SE?

I do wish Sony had more success in Japan with at least two IP that could sell over a million domestically. But even if they did, it probably wouldn't boost Ps4 sales much over what they currently sell. They saw potential WW and currently produce the most profitable consoles ever made so I can't be mad at them for making the decision to put the WW market first. After all they are a global brand.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
West matters and multiplat matters even for niche JP only pubs. There's a reason why Ys VIII sold 500k.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
M-C 2014:
PS4 – 2.441.876 <5,67%>

1) Knack - 404.707
2) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 142.928
3) Yakuza: Ishin! - 137.213
4) Destiny - 124.251
5) Battlefield 4 - 121.054

M-C 2015:
PS4 - 5.114.598 <13,69%>

1) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 432.629
2) Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - 348.277
3) Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 266.459
4) Bloodborne - 217.720
5) Star Wars: Battlefront - 192.475

Sony can't afford to repeat this type of support for the first two years of the PS5 in Japan. Especially when in competition with the Switch. If they do it's going to be a steep decline, PS4 benefited in 2014 and 2015 because Wii U was also a colossal failure. But if they don't manage to get big games that appeal to the Japanese audience - there is little doubt that they risk having a similar failure on their record.