• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
P5 going multiplat and SMTV staying exclusive would be "tricky" for Atlus I suppose. I don't think Sony would like it and I don't think Atlus would want to make Sony (or Nintendo) unhappy.
There is nothing tricky about that situation at all. The same way 90% of 3rd Party console content was on PS console in the past Gen because that's where the money was.

Sony could have tried to secure SMT V as well but I doubt the IP isnt as important to them as it was for Nintendo.

Same way DQ XI coming to Switch/NX doesn't mean that Octopath will be released in other systems.

People here often assume that Sony is willing to do whatever is neccesary to keep these titles from other system, when that's rarely the case and devs in the past stayed PS only because it was the obvious /viable choice.

Unless we are talking AAA titles for the global market, Sony isn't really in the position to keep content from Switch. Especially if Nintendo is making an effort the get the content - Joker being in Smash is quite the big deal, pretty much now better way to introduce the IP to Nintendo fans.

Having said that Sony's focus will now be to secure exclusive content for the upcoming generation already...not worry about PS3/PS4 JRPGs coming to Switch.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Has Sony even funded a 1st party game that appeals to Japan since PS3?

Aside from bloodborne I can't think of anything. Certainly nothing with a wide appeal.

Isn't a 5k yen price cut + 2 free first party games enough?

A month long sales campaign which is worse than the sales campaigns the rest of the world gets does not really make up for their lack of support for the past 4 years, no.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you guys get the idea that Persona 5 is going multiplataform?
- Atlus releases a Deluxe version of their mainline Persona games on portable consoles since Persona 3
- Joker was just announced in Smash and we know that the DLC were suggested by Nintendo
- Rumours were circulating before the trademark thing.

It could still be a PS4 only-release but then why couldn't it be a mere DLC ?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the base game was on PS3 there is literally no reason not to have a switch version. Plus the joker dlc would be really weird without a nintendo port

I am really interested to see how NSBUDX does. At that the time when it came out nintendo tried releasing two nsmb games in one year which always seemed like a terrible idea. Im curious if the sales were held back due to the WiiU which is at least likely sincr all gamed seem to have been, if there was saturation with NSMB2 on the market, or if that style of the 2d series has lost its appeal somewhat.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
- Atlus releases a Deluxe version of their mainline Persona games on portable consoles since Persona 3
- Joker was just announced in Smash and we know that the DLC were suggested by Nintendo
- Rumours were circulating before the trademark thing.

It could still be a PS4 only-release but then why couldn't it be a mere DLC ?
Because there's a vita release also.... /jk

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I think Sony did very well this gen. The return of Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest are not small events if you ask me. There is not much they can do to stop the erosion in Japan though imo.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

NSMBUDX commercial was just uploaded. It's pretty good,.
Game should fare pretty nicely

Some here on ERA are underestimating the power of Super Mario Bros because it looks unexciting to their eyes compared something like the deluxe version of Mario Kart 8.
The simplicity and familiarity of the gameplay is part of SMB popularity.
I expect the deluxe version to sell > 10M worldwide.

Has Sony even funded a 1st party game that appeals to Japan since PS3?
GT5 and Everybody Golf sold well on PS3 (> 700K) but they are part of SCE most popular franchises (which kept declining until the current point where they struggle to sell more than 300K) .
On PS4 the best selling game funded by Sony is Marvel's Spider Man (the joke who is Knack doesn't count).

Last edited:

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some here on ERA are underestimating the power of Super Mario Bros because it looks unexciting to their eyes compared something like the deluxe version of Mario Kart 8.
The simplicity and familiarity of the gameplay is part of SMB popularity.
I expect the deluxe version to sell > 10M worldwide.

Even Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was severely underestimated before.

Oct 25, 2017
An enhanced release on the same platform only would be a bit weird. Pretty sure Sony doesn't have dibs on the franchise seeing as Persona (spin-off) games have shown up on 360 and 3DS. Likely exclusive due to originally only being for PS3, they getting a push to get a PS4 port in there as well and launching before Switch did in Japan and just a month later in the west.
Kind of like SMTV and SMTIV were probably not exclusive just because, but rather that the team likely didn't have the manpower for multiplats.

I also don't think there's like bitterness from the console manufactures that Atlus fears? Being nice, or having to make an exclusive for the sake of keeping one from getting vindictive doesn't make too much sense otherwise Nintendo would be super pissed all the time.

Guess we'll see, either in the persona stream later this month or a January direct.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No bigger than the gamecubes? Are you serious bro?

I didn't realize that's what your arguing here because that's kind of absurd. You are aware how the Gamecube performed in Japan right?
MH Tri alone outsold most the GC largest 3rd party titles combined.

(this is litterally just someone archiving the old gaf posts).
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Famitsu_2002_video_game_sales
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Famitsu_2003_video_game_sales
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Famitsu_2004_video_game_sales

But I thought Japan's game sales alone didn't matter to Japanese publishers anymore... probably not best to waffle on that, so bringing up GameCube's poor performance in Japan is... whatever. To say nothing of your use of tie ratios, which are a per capita number and not a total sales figure. So either use total sales figures or tie ratio, don't move back and forth between them when it suits you.

Since you've insisted that Nintendo-published games don't matter in this discussion, here it is from someone else:

Lifetime third party sw shipments for Wii were about 547.14 million (out of 920.38 million of total sw sold). That gives us tie ratio of around 5.38 for third party sw. It's third highest of Nintendo consoles (Gamecube had 6.75 for third party software and SNES 5.93).

GameCube had a larger 3rd-party attach rate, and that's without factoring out Wii's best-selling 3rd-party titles being casual-oriented titles for the vast majority of casual-oriented Wii owners. Take those out (for all Nintendo consoles, to be fair with the numbers) and I'd bet my next paycheque that it'd be a gruesome failure for core game sales overall on Wii.
(for example, when looking at million-sellers on Wii from that same site you referenced, the ratio of casual games to core games sold is 1.6 casual games for every 1 core game sold, and that's if I'm being generous and estimating 3mil additional sales for the core game sales that haven't been updated on its list in the past 10 years and the sales that only barely missed the million threshold)

If you don't want to listen to me, which is seeming more and more like the case, listen to someone else providing the data that proved my point for me.

But hey, a single game's sales invalidate that, I'm sure. Because reasons.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
But I thought Japan's game sales alone didn't matter to Japanese publishers anymore... probably not best to waffle on that, so bringing up GameCube's poor performance in Japan is... whatever. To say nothing of your use of tie ratios, which are a per capita number and not a total sales figure. So either use total sales figures or tie ratio, don't move back and forth between them when it suits you.

Since you've insisted that Nintendo-published games don't matter in this discussion, here it is from someone else:

GameCube had a larger 3rd-party attach rate, and that's without factoring out Wii's best-selling 3rd-party titles being casual-oriented titles for the vast majority of casual-oriented Wii owners. Take those out (for all Nintendo consoles, to be fair with the numbers) and I'd bet my next paycheque that it'd be a gruesome failure for core game sales overall on Wii.
(for example, when looking at million-sellers on Wii from that same site you referenced, the ratio of casual games to core games sold is 1.6 casual games for every 1 core game sold, and that's if I'm being generous and estimating 3mil additional sales for the core game sales that haven't been updated on its list in the past 10 years and the sales that only barely missed the million threshold)

If you don't want to listen to me, which is seeming more and more like the case, listen to someone else providing the data that proved my point for me.

Your the one who brought up the gamecube own your shit. if your going to make nonsense arguments don't be surprised when someone calls you out on it. All I've done is back up with evidence flaws in regards to your points and you haven't honestly engaged with any one of them going back to complaining my about arguments that you didn't even engage with in the first place.

If you want to properly discuss properly discuss. Going about complaining about such and such when someone proves you wrong helps nothing.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Your the one who brought up the gamecube own your shit. if your going to make nonsense arguments don't be surprised when someone calls you out on it. All I've done is back up with evidence flaws in regards to your points and you haven't honestly engaged with anyone of them going back to complaining my about arguments that you didn't even engage with in the first place.

If you want to properly discuss properly discuss. Going about complaining about such and such when someone proves you wrong helps nothing.
So you're just gonna gloss over the data, continue to claim I'm wrong without addressing it, accuse me of not addressing your points and whine about my tone? Yeah, I'm done. Report button and ignore.

"Own your shit"? Talk about not practicing what you preach.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
So you're just gonna gloss over the data, continue to claim I'm wrong without addressing it, accuse me of not addressing your points and whine about my tone? Yeah, I'm done. Report button and ignore.
I presented you with some data and an argument is MH tri total sell-through greater than the combined total sell-though of multiple core 3rd party game-cube titles or is it not?

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
P5 going multiplat and SMTV staying exclusive would be "tricky" for Atlus I suppose. I don't think Sony would like it and I don't think Atlus would want to make Sony (or Nintendo) unhappy.
It really won't make platform holders mad since one is basically just a 2m seller that didn't really move systems in the west, while another is....... lol. But that's a weird business mindset if SMTV stays exclusive when you make Studio Zero going multiplat anyway, unless some higher ups let 1st production running wild and do whatever they want

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend taking a business 101 class. The raw numbers may not match, but Switch is a huge financial success for Nintendo – far bigger than 3DS and possibly bigger than DS.
I don't think AzVal was attacking Nintendo in his comment. I think what he meant to say is that if you try to point out a Switch achievement, certain people in this thread will rush to explain away how it doesn't count.

That's how I understood it at least. I might be wrong.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bloodborne resonated with the JP audience too. Still one of the PS4 biggest seller (300k+).

Pretty much only Bloodborne then.
With the declining output both quantity and quality wise from 3rd party, and Sony not picking up the slack for software aimed at Japanese audience, people really shouldn't be surprised PS3 and PS4 end up like this in Japan.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Why are you using third party attach rate instead of third party sales totals? The gamecube moved 208.5m units of software. As in its total sales were less than half of the third party software sold on the Wii. Using attach rates in this comparison is flawed. Sytems that sell less units generally have higher relative attach rates. Its almost impossible for the gamecube to be a better environment for core games when you compare actual numbers levels.

Kinger256

Oct 27, 2017
Has the inclusion of a series in smash ever indicated the arrival of it on the same console? We've seen Snake, Cloud and Ryu and yet none of their mainline games have come to a Nintendo console afterwards. Not that it isn't possible to see P5 on the switch, but this "joker in smash" thing is a red herring.

Oct 27, 2017
Has the inclusion of a series in smash ever indicated the arrival of it on the same console? We've seen Snake, Cloud and Ryu and yet none of their mainline games have come to a Nintendo console afterwards. Not that it isn't possible to see P5 on the switch, but this "joker in smash" thing is a red herring.
Final Fantasy VII is coming to Switch next year. Snake isnt getting many games these days. Street Fighter collection came to Switch earlier this year, also USF2, 3DS got Street Fighter IV. Street Fighter V is moneyhatted away from the system.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So Media Create people, lots of fried chicken this christmas ?

(is this an urban legend or totally real ? I never know for sure... )

We are literally getting FF7 on switch. Metal Gear 3 for the 3DS was close to Smash brawl. SF4 was before SF5 and 4 was on 3ds as well.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
So Media Create people, lots of fried chicken this christmas ?

(is this an urban legend or totally real ? I never know for sure... )

We are literally getting FF7 on switch. Metal Gear 3 for the 3DS was close to Smash brawl. SF4 was before SF5 and 4 was on 3ds as well.

ケンタッキーにしない?

https://youtu.be/5QUOVvQo_nk

https://youtu.be/iInsJULHyHo

It's all true, we eat fried chicken and pizza and strawberry shortcake for Christmas.

I had Family Mart, the nearest Kentucky is 4 subway stops away.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
ケンタッキーにしない?

https://youtu.be/5QUOVvQo_nk

https://youtu.be/iInsJULHyHo

It's all true, we eat fried chicken and pizza and strawberry shortcake for Christmas.

I had Family Mart, the nearest Kentucky is 4 subway stops away.

Awesome !
...specially because I secretly feared that it was a racist urban legend =P

Love how capitalism takes control of these stuff hehe

And kinda funny because here, in Brazil of all places, my sister bought some sushi and sashimi to the christmas table xD

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why are you using third party attach rate instead of third party sales totals?
Because that's what Principate was using as his basis to say Wii sold a lot of core software. If there's an issue with that, take it up with him. I tried using hard numbers with the only consistent data we have on core game sales, but they were Nintendo sales compared across consoles, so they couldn't be used to measure changes in console demographics, apparently, despite "Nintendo core franchises" being the only true constant on every piece of Nintendo hardware.

Last edited:

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I don't think AzVal was attacking Nintendo in his comment. I think what he meant to say is that if you try to point out a Switch achievement, certain people in this thread will rush to explain away how it doesn't count.

That's how I understood it at least. I might be wrong.

You got it, the ones I mention are the usual topics to downplay the Switch hallmarks in these threads, don't be surprised to see them in this page or after tomorrow's report.

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for my misunderstanding, AzVal.

Kinda my fault as I was being cheeky and not using the "/s"

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
KURISUMASU CHECKEN SUGEEEE!

I wonder why fried chicken is associated with Christmas in japan?

Because Kentucky Fried Chicken decided to market the idea of the need for Christmas Fried Chicken about 50 years ago.

Simply put, Christmas is an event, events need parties, parties need food. Kentucky saw the potential to market Chicken as a substitute for Turkey, a popular Christmas dish in America, they got good results so competitors sprang up.